Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]
OP - great thread.  

Don't worry too much about the color or cleanliness of the tub.  TRY IT.  The colors can enhance the pix and most will wash out a lot.

The foil under the fixed flash should prevent the light from hitting the subject, and throw most of it to the ceiling.  Works great.  Tissue on front of a flash will diffuse it a bit, but bounce generally is the best solution.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By slashsplat:

OP - great thread.  

Don't worry too much about the color or cleanliness of the tub.  TRY IT.  The colors can enhance the pix and most will wash out a lot.

The foil under the fixed flash should prevent the light from hitting the subject, and throw most of it to the ceiling.  Works great.  Tissue on front of a flash will diffuse it a bit, but bounce generally is the best solution.

Even with bounce I still get harsh light on the gun. Especially, but not limited to, stainless steel guns.

Link Posted: 3/18/2010 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#3]
tagged
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#4]
So when does a guy that works the night shift shoot his rifles?
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]

re-up

Link Posted: 7/9/2010 3:34:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Pickled_Pig] [#6]
This is my first try.
I'm using a bathtub (with a stippled bottom that you can still somewhat see), Cannon Rebel XTI on auto setting, Lowe's one bulb shop light, and GIMP photo editing software.
I can't find the auto color tool on GIMP, anyone use it and have any suggestions? I also pointed the light directly at the knives but next time I will try diffusing it somehow.
ETA: Another (possibly dumb) question. Before adjusting the levels the smaller knife had a small shadow, is there any way to retain the shadow while making the background lighter?

Link Posted: 8/14/2010 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Say no to archive!
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow.  What a great post––I have many uses for this.  Thanks OP!!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#9]
TAG
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a total and blatant tag.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 1:17:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Using the principles of this thread, I discarded the colors and "toonized" the guns.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Here's my first try.  I'll keep tweaking and practicing til I'm as good as Stick
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Gettin' better
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd say getting better is a massive understatement, that last one looks great!
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By justin_schuyler:

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/justin_schuyler/MP9-1.jpg

Gettin' better

That looks really good. You find a way to bounce the light?

Link Posted: 10/10/2010 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/justin_schuyler/MP9-1.jpg

Gettin' better

That looks really good. You find a way to bounce the light?

No, I wound up throwing an old bed sheet over my shop bench and used my overhead flourescent shop light.  Turned out better than I thought it would.  You were definitely correct about not using the flash directly.  I never knew my cheapo camera could do so much!!!  Thanks for all the tips.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 1:23:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Here is my first attempt with my new camera.  I didn't bounce the flash and just used a piece of printer paper since my tub is not pretty enough.  I wish I had better lighting in my apartment because I feel that it would improve the picture even more.  Overall I am happy with the results for what I had to work with.  Let me know what you guys think.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:13:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: topgunpilot20] [#18]

Originally Posted By horadin:

Here is my first attempt with my new camera.  I didn't bounce the flash and just used a piece of printer paper since my tub is not pretty enough.  I wish I had better lighting in my apartment because I feel that it would improve the picture even more.  Overall I am happy with the results for what I had to work with.  Let me know what you guys think.

Editing looks spot on. I also use printer paper for small objects. As always finding a way to bounce the flash will improve the image quality, but yours looks very good for direct flash.

You could try putting your pistol on the printer paper on the
bathroom sink in front of the bathroom mirror. Back up, zoom in, and
shoot downward at about a 45 degree angle so part of the flash is
bounced off the mirror. Worth a shot if your mirror is close to the
counter top.
I like your M&P. Here's a pic of one of mine (also on printer paper):

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#19]

What can I do about the texture of the backround on really tight shots like this?
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Man I'm glad someone bumped this thread. I hate how crummy my photos usually turn out. This should help.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#21]

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/justin_schuyler/M41000.jpg

What can I do about the texture of the backround on really tight shots like this?

Not much without getting tedious. You can use printer paper for tighter shots––the seems between multiple sheets are easily fixed using the paint brush tool. I think the texture looks fine though.

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 8:14:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zaphod] [#22]
Topgun,

First off, I want to thank you for having started this thread. This is not only a request for assistance but a bump for a great topic.

Using the techniques you described as best I could, I was able to do the following:

Original pic:

Hi-Res

Cleaned-up pic:

Hi-Res

As you can see, I used a sheet rather than my bathtub because my bathtub isn't white and because it just plain isn't conducive to ANY photos. Another challenge I have is that I don't have a directable flash yet, so this was taken using two halogen lamps and the camera flash. The camera is a Nikon D60 using the factory lens.

Within Photoshop, I followed your directions and then tweaked the brightness and contrast overall and in particular for the logo on the scope, which had a bit of flare.

I'm pleased with the results for a first try, but it's not up to the level of your original posts. For one thing, it is pretty washed out. What advice could you offer? Also, what would you suggest to adjust the shadows so they are more grey than brown? I believe this is because the halogen lamps I was using are not truly white in color.

Thanks again!

ETA: I reworked the "after" picture. The new one is posted. I figured out how to make the red a lot less apparent.
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 12:25:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: topgunpilot20] [#23]

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Topgun,
First off, I want to thank you for having started this thread. This is not only a request for assistance but a bump for a great topic.
Using the techniques you described as best I could, I was able to do the following:
Original pic:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/USNA91/Sendero-Original.jpg
Hi-Res
Cleaned-up pic:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/USNA91/Sendero-Clean.jpg
Hi-Res
As you can see, I used a sheet rather than my bathtub because my bathtub isn't white and because it just plain isn't conducive to ANY photos. Another challenge I have is that I don't have a directable flash yet, so this was taken using two halogen lamps and the camera flash. The camera is a Nikon D60 using the factory lens.
Within Photoshop, I followed your directions and then tweaked the brightness and contrast overall and in particular for the logo on the scope, which had a bit of flare.
I'm pleased with the results for a first try, but it's not up to the level of your original posts. For one thing, it is pretty washed out. What advice could you offer? Also, what would you suggest to adjust the shadows so they are more grey than brown? I believe this is because the halogen lamps I was using are not truly white in color.
Thanks again!
ETA: I reworked the "after" picture. The new one is posted. I figured out how to make the red a lot less apparent.

Washout is a byproduct of direct flash. The brighter you can get the extra lights, the less light your camera will need from the flash resulting in less wash out. Also, shooting at angle will bounce less light off the subject surface into the lens. However, this cannot be completely avoided with round surfaces like the scope, barrel, and parts of the stock.
The brown shadow is a result of the halogen lights being a different color temperature than your flash. Hard to eliminate using two different light source temperatures. You can try aiming one of your light sources at the background which will illuminate it more causing less shadow in general. You could also eliminate completely by selecting it with the magic wand tool and painting over it with white using the paint brush.

Link Posted: 10/31/2010 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Yep.

What I actually did was to go into the color adjustments, select reds, and then mess with the saturation. Worked like a charm.

That said, the temperature of the lights is definitely something I'm going to have to address in order to do this right long-term.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Monster bump but I had a question for anyone using The Gimp and this process - Where's the auto color? I checked in the drag down menu mentioned in the OP but I could only find Color Balance. Any other place I should be looking?
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 9:46:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: st33ve0] [#26]
Great advice, I did this with a cheap light box made from foam core board with white trash bags diffusing two 6500K "daylight" CFL's in some cheap work light fixtures.

Untitled by st33ve0, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By st33ve0:

Great advice, I did this with a cheap light box made from foam core board with white trash bags diffusing two 6500K "daylight" CFL's in some cheap work light fixtures.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5044/5371811348_c20c245ce1_b.jpg

That looks really good. I may have to try a setup like that now that I live in a house with more space. What did the original picture look like before editing?

Link Posted: 1/19/2011 10:21:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: st33ve0] [#28]
Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:

Originally Posted By st33ve0:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5044/5371811348_c20c245ce1_b.jpg

That looks really good. I may have to try a setup like that now that I live in a house with more space. What did the original picture look like before editing?

Thanks!  I used these to hold the 3/16" foam core board together: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KZRGA2/ref=oss_product

I got a three pack of 30"x40" white foam core board and offset 6" from each corner on the long end and cut it diagonally from those points to give it a triangle shape with an extra 6" for a flat piece on the top to keep it stable.  Then I cut a second piece into 6"x30" and 34"x30" pieces for the top and bottom.  The last part was using some binder clips and two white trash bags to cover the angled side and then lighting it with the work lights stuck to a cheaper tripod.

Here's some crappy cell phone pics of the setup:

Here is the original as shot:

Link Posted: 1/19/2011 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Where are the cookies?
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks to the OP and whoever bumped it!

Here is my first attempt at a decent gun picture using the OP's instructions with GIMP 2:

Link Posted: 1/20/2011 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd have to clean the hooker blood out of my tub.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 12:49:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By F22_RaptoR:

Too bad the bathtub i have isn't white

Originally
Posted By TheCanuck:

My bathtub isn't white either

What the fuck is wrong with you Canadians?  Clean your damn bathtubs.  

I guess we should just be happy you're using it.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2011 12:54:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Great tutorial.

I may actually get around to setting up a photobucket account now.

Link Posted: 1/20/2011 12:58:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By F22_RaptoR:

Wow, cool post!

Too bad the bathtub i have isn't white

Cleaning it once in a while can fix that problem

Link Posted: 1/20/2011 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Thanks OP.  Need to work on my camera work, but these are the best I've taken!

Link Posted: 1/20/2011 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Tag.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 1:21:16 AM EDT
[#37]
How do I do this with windows paint? Or do I have other photochops that I can work with?
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for showing those recent pics of the homemade lightbox. I'm gonna build one now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:07:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Dumped gimpworks and just went with the original gimp, and got a program that actually works! Some of the things are in a different spot but that's ok.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Tagged for later

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Looking good. I'm glad it's working for you guys.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Dog1:
I wish I had the whiz bang version of Photoshop...

Download GIMP. It's free and will do just about anything Photoshop will do. I've been using it for three years now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#45]

You guys were watching the State of the Union address from your tub?
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 5:20:20 AM EDT
[#46]

That pic is still funny a shit Steve-oh
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By soupersnake:

Link Posted: 3/25/2011 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 5/21/2011 12:18:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Bump 'cause a friend needs to read this...
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top