Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2024 12:44:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rudukai13]
The ASP: An Early Subcompact 9mm for Sneaky People

What you got? One rule - It can’t just be a stock gun. The original ASP and similar pistols like it were heavily customized gunsmith-specials to tailor them to a particular niche which was underserved at the time. In reverence to the problem solving innovative spirit that led to the original small concealed carry semi-autos, don’t just drop “P365” or “Hellcat” and fuck off. Put some thought into it.

GO!

EDIT: I’m an idiot
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:46:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Glock 19 frame with Glock 26 top half
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:49:52 AM EDT
[#2]
26 with guttersight. Like this

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:51:12 AM EDT
[#3]
and clear grip.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:06:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AzzFaceKillah] [#4]
CZ 2075 RAMI. Nearly half an inch shorter than an ASP, about one ounce heavier, up to double the capacity.

Add guttersnipes and clear grip panels, slot the mags for a window and you're pretty much done.

Could always bob the hammer and have the first round DA, SA follow ups. Get CGW to put together some enhanced internals.

I could think of a few other changes but that would be 80-90% of the way there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:09:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Glock 43l/43x with a gutter sight and an Aurora II suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:39:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Allow me to clarify - I don’t mean you have to copy the outward appearance, I mean build a gun in the same spirit. Would you stick with a guttersnipe sight or choose something else? What can you do with a modern pistol to better address the question that the ASP was meant to answer back when it was developed?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:15:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#7]
Glock 26 in .22 TCM 9R w/ grip windows & windowed clear ETS mag - or that digital count down mag thingie that goes on the rear of the slide instead of the Glock Switch.

Changing windowed grip to Fat's clear frame above.

Pop up NcStar red dot, of course.  Maybe forward of the ejection port?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:16:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
and clear grip.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14562/BREB1225_JPG-2560200.jpg
View Quote

Ooooh.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:34:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:
Allow me to clarify - I don’t mean you have to copy the outward appearance, I mean build a gun in the same spirit. Would you stick with a guttersnipe sight or choose something else? What can you do with a modern pistol to better address the question that the ASP was meant to answer back when it was developed?
View Quote

Sig made a P365 with the weird fiber sort of a gutter sight gun. I have one and like it. It shoots well. However. If I was to reconsider it, a P220 subcompact like the P245, with an even shorter slide akin to the P229C/P224 and gutter sight with solid stainless frame and slide would be mine. Load that bitch with 45Super and let it rock.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:48:52 AM EDT
[#10]
First off, the ASP is and always will be at the top of my grail gun list and I still kick myself for not buying the one that was offered to me.

That said, in today’s world I would just go with a G43 w/ XS Big Dot sights (or mill the slide for an RMR CC if that’s your jam) add some Tango Down +2s and call it a day.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:05:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Newnimprovedusername:
First off, the ASP is and always will be at the top of my grail gun list and I still kick myself for not buying the one that was offered to me.

That said, in today’s world I would just go with a G43 w/ XS Big Dot sights (or mill the slide for an RMR CC if that’s your jam) add some Tango Down +2s and call it a day.
View Quote

@Newnimprovedusername

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1038705580

Definitely not cheap
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Sig p365 sas with glock internals so I know it won’t turn into curry powder if it gets wet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By shotar:
I wouldn't. The ASP and devel came about because nothing like it was available in a factory made gun. Smith later responded with the 3913. Asp right out of the box.

Today, an optics ready g43x, p365, shield, etc with an optic is a better weapon in every respect for a whole lot less than it would cost to make an asp.
View Quote

I rolled with a 3953 which had its drawbacks (DAO) but was a very concealable pistol back in the day.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Szilagyi-hpg:  Sig p365 sas with glock internals so I know it won’t turn into curry powder if it gets wet.
View Quote

I understand the intent & desire, I just don't understand how Glock internals would fit, let alone work in a P365.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#16]
i seem to remember a magazine article in recent years where they did that to a M&P shield.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#17]
A Cz75d is pretty close.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#18]
A metal P365 grip frame would allow the milling and grip strength to put clear inserts in the grip. Unfortunately there are no clear P365 mags, and milling a viewport may compromise the strength of the mag, all the micro compacts are under pretty high tension.

You could use the P365 SAS controls if that really floats your boat.

I think an RDS is the best performance to com ratio, but if you want SAS style, the stock SAS slide has an integrated FT Bullseye which imo is the modern answer to the gutter sight. Or if you have a stock slide, you could try the FT Bullseye front sight...less likely to snag than a raised rear sight.

But IMO SAS is a dumb concept with the prevalence and use of modern holsters. I want Super Snag.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By evnash:
i seem to remember a magazine article in recent years where they did that to a M&P shield.
View Quote

@evnash I’d love to see it if you can find it
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
But IMO SAS is a dumb concept with the prevalence and use of modern holsters. I want Super Snag.
View Quote

@HappyCamel explain this bit further please?

When I first started thinking about this I also was picturing a P365 SAS with an aluminum grip module of some kind
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Here it is!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Chambered in .30 SC, the ideal pistol cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:56:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PaladinM1911] [#23]
Recoil Magazine did an article a few years ago on a new ASP for 21st Century.

The ASP 2.0
EDIT: Miss it by 2 mins!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Who knows what the competitors were to the ASP made around the same time? I know the Devel Full House was also done on a S&W 39/59, and the Detonics MkI. I seem to remember one or two more, maybe one based on a Star pistol?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MikeSearson:

Here it is!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeSearson:

Here it is!

Found this as well:

To be honest, it’s a little disappointing I think I could do better than that
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Beretta 80X or 92G compact built around an integrally suppressed top half, utilizing an offset baffle stack akin to the Osprey to keep it low profile and allow for standard height sights, with an expansion chamber that takes up the space below the dust cover, all the way back to the trigger guard.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm in the middle of building mine.  I started with a Staccato C2 because I compete with a 2011 and wanted to keep the same manual of arms.  I hated it, and immediately wanted to make it more like my race gun, but still tough enough for daily carry.  First, I had it milled for an optic and experimented with a bunch of different ones.  I've pretty much settled on the SRO.  I've reworked the trigger and changed up all the springs to make it run the way I want.  The plan is to have it ported, but I'm torn on the chonk port vs the popple hole type port.  I'd like to have it dehorned and get rid of the iron sights at the same time.  May experiment with different grip designs and some small magwells, but that's a problem for down the road.  

It's not the same as what Ian is showing in the video, and yet it is.  Those were the ultimate concealed firearms at the time, and that's what I'm trying to build for myself.  The right gun; for me anyway.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:15:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#28]
Beretta Cheetah. Matte hard chromed. Micarta grips with the magazine cut out.

Kelsey did it with way more class. S&W even considered a partnership with Devel but then just stole his ideas instead. All because he got stiffed on his ASP order. The Devel Commander is my grail gun too.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By rb889:
Beretta 80X or 92G compact built around an integrally suppressed top half, utilizing an offset baffle stack akin to the Osprey to keep it low profile and allow for standard height sights, with an expansion chamber that takes up the space below the dust cover, all the way back to the trigger guard.
View Quote

I had thought of a suppressed Beretta 80X for an “assassin pistol” type project too. Still a possibility.

Originally Posted By xdoctor:
I'm in the middle of building mine.  I started with a Staccato C2 because I compete with a 2011 and wanted to keep the same manual of arms.  I hated it, and immediately wanted to make it more like my race gun, but still tough enough for daily carry.  First, I had it milled for an optic and experimented with a bunch of different ones.  I've pretty much settled on the SRO.  I've reworked the trigger and changed up all the springs to make it run the way I want.  The plan is to have it ported, but I'm torn on the chonk port vs the popple hole type port.  I'd like to have it dehorned and get rid of the iron sights at the same time.  May experiment with different grip designs and some small magwells, but that's a problem for down the road.  

It's not the same as what Ian is showing in the video, and yet it is.  Those were the ultimate concealed firearms at the time, and that's what I'm trying to build for myself.  The right gun; for me anyway.
View Quote

@xdoctor good god post some pics man!

Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Beretta Cheetah. Matte hard chromed. Micarta grips with the magazine cut out.

Kelsey did it with way more class. S&W even considered a partnership with Devel but then just stole his ideas instead. All because he got stiffed on his ASP order. The Devel Commander is my grail gun too.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3422_jpeg-3208030.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3423_jpeg-3208031.JPG
View Quote

Not a bad thought.

I’m thinking maybe instead of specifically an ASP this question could garner more interest if it was re-phrased as building a covert, sneaky “assassin” type pistol…
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:  Who knows what the competitors were to the ASP made around the same time? I know the Devel Full House was also done on a S&W 39/59, and the Detonics MkI. I seem to remember one or two more, maybe one based on a Star pistol?
View Quote

Star Firestar, the granddaddy of the SIG 938.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#31]
It be made out of porcelain, so it wouldn't show up on x-ray machines, and it would cost more than you make in a month.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:07:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scopedope] [#32]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Glock 43 with aftermarket barrel.

Once the job is done, destroy the aftermarket barrel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Small Glock of whatever 9mm flavor, TB, short suppressor with wipes. Something like the Gemtech Aurora.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Why not a stock pistol?

The ASP was developed back then because you HAD to build one - you couldn't just grab one off the shelf.

a subcompact like a Shield Plus with a threaded barrel be close.

P365 with a clear grip module (letting you see the magazine's own index holes), again with a threaded barrel.

Only thing I might add would be something to stop the slide from cycling on fire, to force all the gas through the suppressor.

Narrow can with wipes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I think you've changed the entire thread, OP.  The ASP was the best concealable SD CC pistol of its generation.  That directly led to the modern Shield, .30 SC, P365, etc.  If you'd offered a modern P365 w/ red dot, light, LASER, & modern mag capacity to an ASP user in the day he would've thought he hit the lottery.

A SD pistol is a device you always have on you JIC trouble comes your way.  An Assassin's pistol is a tool for a specific job - assassination.  It's not for SD, it's for sneaky murder, and will have completely different design requirements.  The classic OSS suppressed High Standard was an assassin's pistol - .22 LR, very quiet.  You get the same thing now w/ a stock Ruger Mk 4 or a Browning Buckmark - maybe a Beretta Neos w/ the rifle stock kit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Glock 43 with aftermarket barrel.

Once the job is done, destroy the aftermarket barrel.
View Quote

I like the way you think
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#38]
A suppressed LCP Max would fit the bill.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#39]
As an "assassin pistol", I'd use a pen gun that can actually write. It would be threaded so you could add a small suppressor to it. I think a .22LR should do just fine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#40]
B&T STATION SIX – 45.  Quietest pistol on the market.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#41]
G42 with a 507k ACSS, a Thompson Machine micro suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#42]

With a shorty suppressor that uses wipes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#43]
A model 10 Smith with the chambers reamed to .357 magnum. A suppressor and handloads using 9mm projectiles loaded to 1000fps.  Yes I know a suppressor on a revolver is not the quietest.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
I think you've changed the entire thread, OP.  The ASP was the best concealable SD CC pistol of its generation.  That directly led to the modern Shield, .30 SC, P365, etc.  If you'd offered a modern P365 w/ red dot, light, LASER, & modern mag capacity to an ASP user in the day he would've thought he hit the lottery.

A SD pistol is a device you always have on you JIC trouble comes your way.  An Assassin's pistol is a tool for a specific job - assassination.  It's not for SD, it's for sneaky murder, and will have completely different design requirements.  The classic OSS suppressed High Standard was an assassin's pistol - .22 LR, very quiet.  You get the same thing now w/ a stock Ruger Mk 4 or a Browning Buckmark - maybe a Beretta Neos w/ the rifle stock kit.
View Quote

Fair point. Edited back
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
A model 10 Smith with the chambers reamed to .357 magnum. A suppressor and handloads using 9mm projectiles loaded to 1000fps.  Yes I know a suppressor on a revolver is not the quietest.
View Quote

Explain yourself sir
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#46]
@November5 has a Glock 43 he got customized to take 365 OEM mags.  

I cannot find the pics easily but that would fit the bill nicely.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I think this fits the bill.  

If that one doesn't then this work in progress surely will.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Who knows what the competitors were to the ASP made around the same time? I know the Devel Full House was also done on a S&W 39/59, and the Detonics MkI. I seem to remember one or two more, maybe one based on a Star pistol?
View Quote
There were a bunch.  The AF Gunsmith shop was chopping and channeling 1911s, which eventually led to the Officers ACP.  There were at least half a dozen smiths doing S&W chops, probably four times that many doing 1911 chops.  HiPowers, Astras, Stars, if it was available there was someone chopping them up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:56:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Debo75] [#49]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

EDIT: beat like a rented mule.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Found this as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRl7_Kei5fI

To be honest, it’s a little disappointing I think I could do better than that
View Quote

To be fair. They came up with the idea and had to turn it around and have it all done within 30-60 days. I would have gone a different route, too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top