Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2020 9:10:08 PM EDT
Hurricane Douglas is inbound to Honolulu, Hawaii.  Looks like it'll shave the tip of the island with 85mph winds in a few hours.  I'm on the south side of Oahu and might see Cat 1 or heavy tropical storm force winds.  Currently the sunny skies went away and it's cloudy and still.  House is prepped.  I'm prepped.  Winds will picking up soon and the closest approach is around 8pm HST.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/07/26/breaking-news/maui-joins-oahu-and-kauai-under-hurricane-warning-as-douglas-closes-in-on-hawaiian-islands/

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay safe.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Stay safe man.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Hawaii is having some tough luck this year. I guess the silver lining is that there are no tourists to worry about. Stay safe and keep your head down.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Are Hawaiians really that prone to lawlessness in a disaster or are you planning to shoot the hurricane as it passes?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are Hawaiians really that prone to lawlessness in a disaster or are you planning to shoot the hurricane as it passes?
View Quote

I'm hoping COVID19 kills the hurricane.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm hoping COVID19 kills the hurricane.
View Quote

Maybe it'll social distance and just sneak by.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck, stay safe.

Also hoping the hurricane doesn't capsize the island.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Today I learned Hawaii had hurricanes. I should get out of the basement more.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Stay safe.  

It sounds like something you're likely used to (Cat 1 strength), or at least familiar with...
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Be safe, brah
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Stay safe.  

It sounds like something you're likely used to (Cat 1 strength), or at least familiar with...
View Quote

Hawaii's been very lucky so far as we are way overdue for a major hurricane direct hit.  Last major hurricane hit was Cat 4 Iniki in 1992 which really messed up the Island of Kauai.  It also blew away the chicken coops so there's been wild chickens everywhere ever since.  Last hurricane to hit was Cat 1 Iselle which hit the island of Hawaii with relatively minor impact.  There's been dozens of hurricanes since then but Hawaii managed to stay out of the way somehow.

Hurricane Iwa was the last one to hit my island in 1982, Cat I also.  I don't remember it as I was a young child at the time.  It did quite a bit of damage.  Iniki and Iwa were very unusual hurricanes which came up suddenly from the south.  Almost all hurricanes go East to West.  Iwa actually went in the opposite direction, West to East.

Iwa
Attachment Attached File

Iniki
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.

We were in the "cone of uncertainty" when we were on the big island on vacation a couple of years ago.
The house we were staying in was oceanfront and had a gigantic plate glass window facing the ocean. Parking area was maybe 10' above the high tide level.

Our plans were if it looked like it was gonna hit was hop on the first plane we could get to anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fact - The Coriolis effect that affects long range target shooting also creates hurricanes.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit... I thought they were called typhoons in the Pacific, but apparently that's just the western end.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#16]
With a name like Douglas it's probably going to be pretty limp.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Are people in Hawaii generally prepared for hurricanes?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Stay safe. I’m supposed to be flying out there the first week of august for work.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Stay safe. I’m supposed to be flying out there the first week of august for work.
View Quote

Enjoy the 2 week quarantine!
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are people in Hawaii generally prepared for hurricanes?
View Quote

Everyone knows what to do and how to prepare for it.  But like most other places, a lot of people scramble at the last minute.  Big rush to buy supplies in the past couple days.  Then big rush to return everything after.

I'm considering getting a Tesla Powerwall installed.  It won't save me any money since I get a electricity credit for juice I add to the grid.  But would like to have it for emergencies...assuming my solar panels don't fly off.  Or getting a 1kw portable battery and 200w solar panels which I could use for parties and events too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#21]
If Im lucky it'll take my house with it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like the Hurricane took a slight blip to the north so looks like Honolulu may be spared again.  Probably going to catch the rain storms on the tail end.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Enjoy the 2 week quarantine!
View Quote

Yeah, I’ll be there 10 days.

Thought getting the test would remove the quarantine, turns out getting tested is only for client requirements.  It will be a fun trip, I’ll bring my ps4.  :/
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought in the Pacific they were known as Typhoons?  

I can't keep this shit straight.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 3:51:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Hurricane just passed to the north of the island about 60 miles out.  Dodged another bullet.  Just another day in paradise.

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 3:51:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Water was too cold, coolest summer in a couple years for both air and water temperatures.  I just got a few waves this evening, clean and from an angle we don't normally get.

I thought this was overhyped from the beginning, especially when the mayor of Oahu said he wouldn't be surprised if state and county workers charged triple or even quadruple time for preparations.  I think that was a signal to run up the tab since the feds are paying for it and this state is collapsing economically.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:52:02 AM EDT
[#27]
#worsthurricaneever
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:15:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Prayers for your family and mine

Hawaii doesn't often get sever hurricanes because the ocean isn't overly warm.
Usually 72-74 degrees f.

That said, one of my brothers didn't get to shelter during Iniki and had his house collapse on him.
He still has issues from that.

Be safe.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:18:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a question

What are the gun laws like in HI?

Any pistol mag over 10 rounds is illegal,and any rifle mag over 20 rounds is illegal?  
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:18:59 AM EDT
[#30]
This was a nothing burger. On the plus I have never seen the roads so empty.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have a question

View Quote

Draconian
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I thought the bigger concern in HI was tsunamis.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:29:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a question

Any pistol mag over 10 rounds is illegal,and any rifle mag over 20 rounds is illegal?  
View Quote

You can’t shoot hurricanes

Well, you can, but it doesn’t work
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top