User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:27:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Ham radio, astronomy/ astrophotography, cabinet making, essential oils.  🤣

Ok, not essential oils.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I worked with a guy who retired. He was going to have a craft woodworking shop and make things. He would tell stories of how his wife was not happy about cleaning out an area for his work shop. I saw him months after he retired. He got into town politics and is in two different boards/committees. He apparently earned a nickname an is a thorn in some people's sides.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Collecting boogers is highly rewarding.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:59:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mark5pt56] [#4]
Retired in Fl, I had a decent step down from a full time and two part times to one part time before moving from Va. Came down here, fish, shoot, fish shoot. Picked up a part time and volunteer at the county range, fish and shoot, fiddle fook in the garage. Dropped the part time as I'm getting close to SS draw. Do my own yard work, reload, volunteer, shoot and fish I might add volunteering loaded relief supplies one of these days. Oh--stay in shape! Between yard work and hitting the gym, paddling the kayak, works ok.

OP--you do need things to do to stay engaged and occupied.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:13:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Klee] [#5]
My biggest hobby is computers with a heavy interest in vintage computers.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy a boat. Screw all that fishing, cleaning fish and stinkin up the place frying them. Plenty of waterfront seafood restaurants you can dock at and get a beer and eat seafood at.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#7]
You live in a state with millions of acres of public land.  Buy a bird dog. Train it. Go hunting.

You'll learn some things about yourself as a person, learn new skills and patience, and be in better shape than when you started.  I'd also say nothing improves your snap shooting skill like wild bird wingshooting.  Plus your dog will always be your buddy, which is more than you can say about probably 90% of the people you know.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Public service…..school boards, HOA, county commissioners, judges.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:41:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DDalton] [#10]
Make sure you plan for exercise every day...walking/biking, bodyweight work, lifting some weights.

(assuming your new hobbies don't involve exercise... model building probably won't qualify )
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Ham Radio seems to be carrying me through ok. I have my own range, so shooting was fun for a while, and still a few times a year I'll go through 500-1000 rounds in a day. Living on 116 acres helps because there's aways something to do on a farm. Mowing has ceased being a chore and more of a way to pass time in the summer. I've developed 3 retirement rules to live by over the last 2 years.

1) YOU get to make the schedule!!!!! (YAY!!!)

2) YOU HAVE to make a schedule. (Use the calendar app on your phone, because you WILL forget what day it is)

3) ONE project at a time. (not one project per day, not one per week or even month, ONE at a time) Don't start another project until you finish the other. You have all day, every day to work on projects.

Just what I've learned so far being retired.

I retired at 49 yrs old and am currently 51. Managed money well and worked a job with a pension for 30 years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:32:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottsGT] [#12]
Originally Posted By IT_Cowboy:

I might start a retirement ammo stash to be able to go shooting once a week and buy model kits to stash away.

View Quote

That was my plan.   I’m retired now and still haven’t gone shooting.  I started buying models 20 years ago and at my pace I now realize I’ll have to live to be 187 to finish them all. Problem is, they just keep showing up on my front porch.  
I was knocking out about 9-10 1/32 kits per year until this year.  So far I’m about to finish the third.  Two really difficult projects on top of the wife getting cancer and dealing with all of her medical trips.  Fortunately it was caught early and no chemo or radiation sessions.
Wife has threatened death upon me if I buy more kits because I come from a family of hoarders.  So I have to carefully plan their shipping schedules while she’s away.  
Of course I’ve hit a point where I have about 99% of what I want anyway.
My “retirement desk” I built after the move.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Use your downtime to learn Fusion 360.  It will be useful in many hobbies, home improvement projects, etc.  It can open the doors to 3D printing, CNC routing, metal milling, tons of stuff - and can almost be its own hobby in itself.

I don't recall ever hearing anyone ever say "Gee, I really regret learning how to use a CAD program!".

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:
Buy a boat. Screw all that fishing, cleaning fish and stinkin up the place frying them. Plenty of waterfront seafood restaurants you can dock at and get a beer and eat seafood at.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This!  On the lake with a tritoon for 3 years now. I have not wet a line yet, and have no plans to do so.  Hell, I don’t even own a fishing rod or any tackle.  Plenty around the house from SIL and son leaving theirs here.  I tell everyone my last home was on a golf course for 25 years and not once did I golf.   I’ve gotta beat that record before even thinking about it.  Neighbors look at me like I’m crazy.  

Originally Posted By DDalton:
Make sure you plan for exercise every day...walking/biking, bodyweight work, lifting some weights.

(assuming your new hobbies don't involve exercise... model building probably won't qualify )

I can attest to this.    Now some will get your heart rate elevated from frustration when you want to hurl it across the yard.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Haven't read more than the OP, but man, I could keep myself occupied for years with several random hobbies I have collected.

3D printing. I'm pumping out halloween decorations that I hand out at work. People love this stuff. I also have an Etsy page I sell on.
Laser engraving and cutting is another good one.
Welding
Woodworking
Gardening
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Otter-pop:
Violin making or repair?  Seriously.  Make them and give them to young students.
View Quote

Antonio Stradivari, is that you?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Nature Photography
Playing a musical instrument (it's never too late to start!)
Ham Radio
Reading books
Jeep club events
Fishing
Hiking
Identifying wild edible plants
Bird watching
Trap shooting
Pistol competitions
Rifle competitions
Hunting

What interests you, OP? What is your idea of fun?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Open a pawn shop for fun and interaction.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
Collecting boogers is highly rewarding.
View Quote

Yours, or others?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
I have the opposite problem.  Too many hobbies, and work interferes with them.
View Quote

Very much this. I'm convinced most folks don't know how to have a good time....
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By midmo:
Use your downtime to learn Fusion 360.  It will be useful in many hobbies, home improvement projects, etc.  It can open the doors to 3D printing, CNC routing, metal milling, tons of stuff - and can almost be its own hobby in itself.

I don't recall ever hearing anyone ever say "Gee, I really regret learning how to use a CAD program!".

View Quote

Good advice, and it is free to download.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm surprised at how many people seem to have challenged lives post retirement. They just want to work....

Ever notice no one talks about how much a person worked at their funeral?

I love the "work is my hobby crowd".... whatever trips your trigger man.

There's a lot of cool shit to see and do on this rock. Instead lots of folks focuss on work and money. Many don't seem to focus on saving and investing so that work and money aren't a problem anymore.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
I have the opposite problem.  Too many hobbies, and work interferes with them.
View Quote

This. And I have 18 or so years left in the public sector.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:
Telescopes are a good one. When I start having months free for road trips beyond the usual camping etc, thinking of adding a 16 inch SCT or something major to the mix, and chasing  elusive perfect skies ("seeing conditions") up in the mountains of AZ/NM and looking for surface detail on ganymede and other difficult but doable telescope challenges
View Quote

This, too

Buy the biggest telescope you can manage
Get a camper, put a kayak on the top, fish during the day and then chase those dark skies at night
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:58:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Commando223] [#25]
Bullet casting and powder coating then after all that work you can load it and shoot it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:59:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LoBrau] [#26]
I'm still decades away and I've got it figured. Fast cars for as long as I can afford it/my body will allow it, blending into boats (sailboats mostly) and music (guitar, bass, etc).  I'll do other stuff as the mood strikes, but those will be my main ones. I can't fucking wait.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By scrambler28:
Get a motorcycle.
View Quote

"a" motorcycle?

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I have table saws and wood working equipment, welding equipment, locksmithing equipment, various handyman tools, etc.

I started building a night stand years ago. Real wood, the only plywood in it is in the drawer and shelf. I built the drawer for it, never got it hung, never finished it, got the slides, paint and everything. It was supposed to be practice for building some basic kitchen cabinets at our new house.

I've just got other priorities at our business. Not like I have vacation days or time off to go fishing, there's always shit to do.

But if I ever get some time, I need to pull the saw out, move it to the new garage, finish that drawer, put the top on and get it painted. I'll probably have grandkids by then.

But it wouldn't be a bad hobby. You're not going to make huge money, but it would keep you busy. Get an air cleaner, get a minisplit in the garage.

I also have bees. Used all the stuff to make my own beehives too. Everything has like dual purposes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By rfoxtrot:

View Quote

I have been described as a "Serial Hobbyist". I have done many small things over the years. I went through two all grain brewing stints for example and each time was years apart. I once archery hunted and had a small boat for fishing. The one hobby that has lived through them all is shooting and shooting sports. If I had more money maybe that would change. If I had to pick a new hobby today, I think it would be sea shore fishing. I like turning wrenches but sucks when you are old.

I run 5Ks and stay fit and stay sharp with my shooting skills. My GF loves crafting and I bought her a Cricut Joy Extra as a gift she loves. I want to reload more again but the time is not there. I have this forever project called home improvements. It's infectious, I tear off an old pop corn ceiling and there is four more projects fixing the ceiling and getting it covered with flat Sherwin Williams Ultra White paint. I want to plant and grow a new garden next year....

You see how that works - right?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By FunnyStar:

I have been described as a "Serial Hobbyist". I have done many small things over the years. I went through two all grain brewing stints for example and each time was years apart. I once archery hunted and had a small boat for fishing. The one hobby that has lived through them all is shooting and shooting sports. If I had more money maybe that would change. If I had to pick a new hobby today, I think it would be sea shore fishing. I like turning wrenches but sucks when you are old.

I run 5Ks and stay fit and stay sharp with my shooting skills. My GF loves crafting and I bought her a Cricut Joy Extra as a gift she loves. I want to reload more again but the time is not there. I have this forever project called home improvements. It's infectious, I tear off an old pop corn ceiling and there is four more projects fixing the ceiling and getting it covered with flat Sherwin Williams Ultra White paint. I want to plant and grow a new garden next year....

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FunnyStar:
Originally Posted By rfoxtrot:

I'm definitely hobby heavy.  Need more time to enjoy them all. Wished I could golf, go wheeling, and snowmobiling more. Someday...
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#31]
What are you interested in?

Wood working/bowl turning.
Metal working
Knife making

You can do this stuff all year round and make money on them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#32]
If you like Wood, it's a good hobby.  I'm talking trees.

I like growing, cutting, splitting, stacking and especially burning wood.    This includes collecting all the requisite equipment such as chainsaws, tractors, log splitters, grapples, sawmill.   Not cheap but once you have it, you have it.

We have enough land (well, it's never enough but its' a start) that has long-leaf pines and some hardwoods and I'm now learning to manage it as a forest ecosystem, culling some smaller trees, harvesting some bigger ones.  Maybe build a cabin with trees I harvest and heat it with trees I cut.  

Even got a bunch of woodworking equipment so one day the wood I process I can turn into furniture if I ever get the time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
I kind of see that from a different angle.  Fishing is great until you decide you need a damn boat.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm on the downward slope to retirement.  Was supposed to be 3 years, maybe it will be 3 months - I'm ready.

I've been hoarding ammo and reloading supplies for years for this moment so I should be able to shoot forever and still leave some for the grandkids

We have a 100 acre recreational property and recently bought a Kubota and that will keep me busy.

I should be set for a couple years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:55:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HangfiresGhost] [#35]
Walmart Karen. Someone has to make these slackers tow the line.

Indoors, A/C / heat, free ride around carts, in house snacks.

What's not to love?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Have you tried napping?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#37]
SCUBA dive..... keeps ya healthy and curious....you might even find some nice stuff
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I had all kinds of plans, but my health went to shit and now I can't walk across my house some days..FML..
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SnowMule:
Ham Radio.
No better place to whine about old guy medical problems than the amateur radio airwaves.
View Quote

I'm a general, but man I find the hobby unwelcoming, to many old folks set in their ways.  I've had my shack apart for a couple months, I need to put it back together.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I really miss shooting, but I'm so weak I can't hold a rifle or pistol up for more than a minute or two and I can't stand for more than 5 minutes unsupported.  I used shoot weekly and run and gun a bunch...MS sucks.

I wish I could travel but some the issues MS causes makes it hard to sit in the car for more than an hour or two and I'm done with flying and airports.

I've done computers my whole life and been a gamer at times, but it hurts to still for more than an hour or so..

So, I read alot..took disability in Dec. 23 and I'm pretty well set for money, but I can hardly do anything anymore.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Astronomy. Start with binoculars and a guide book and see where it takes you.
The beauty of binoculars is that you can do most of your observing from a reclining lawn chair.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#42]
If you're a Christian, go out and preach the Gospel on the street each day.  If you're not a Christian, repent and obey the Gospel. Then go out and preach the Gospel each day.  It's great.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Herewego:
Become a Hobo, it’s a growth industry.  Beg for money on street corners, Walk the earth, meet people... get into adventures. Like Kane in Kung Fu.  Wherever you lay your hat is home.
View Quote

If in a Dem state, you can probably sell drugs and no one will ever hassle you.  I hear it can be quite profitable if you don't use...
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Iv been doing that for several years as I’m “ retiring “ soon, as soon as I get finished with  lots of various things keeping me busy, which I call “ infrastructure projects “. Things like building an addition to my garage, replacing farm fencing with new posts, expanding the garden fencing, new barn yard, pouring a pad for the hot tub, planting trees, essentially making my new house “ mine “, and doing repairs / upgrades, installing a whole house generator etc.

Anyway..Heavy , hard projects, but I expect to be caught up / done with those soon and “ retiring “. Planning for my retirement, Iv been setting up / gearing up various hobbies I like , knife making, black smithing, reloading, ham radio, model building, etc.

Iv got a full blacksmithing / knife making set up, full reloading set up, full ham radio set up, full welding / metal cutting set up, model building items, kits, etc, various necessities for all those hobbies, tools, supplies, etc.

Hope to start enjoying those soon, as I get more free time, etc.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Retired 18 mos ago.  It can get boring.

I don't shoot as much as I should, have enough reloading components to last a year or two if ammo goes nuts again and my fort runs dry.  I did the AR and P80 building, it was great but now I have too many.  Did precision, but the knees don't want to get down and up from prone any more.  Trouble was that I did a lot of different hobbies while I was working, got kinda bored with them and no interest in going back (80% proficient, don't want to spend years getting the last 20%).

I like golf, handicap is down five since I retired.  Getting pricey now though if you like good courses.

After a lifetime of reading nonfiction and white papers, I have done some fiction reading.  Reread Travis McGee, read Terminal List series, trying a few other of the famous series (a few books into Reacher now).  The problem is when they first came out every ear or two, you didn't remember the recurring plot devices and such, binge reading them you get to learn a lot about how the author writes, but they can be repetitive.

A lot of fun is figuring out reasons NOT to do the wife's honeydo list.  There's always tomorrow now...

Best thing about retirement?  Grandkids.  Getcha some.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By G-lock:
I had all kinds of plans, but my health went to shit and now I can't walk across my house some days..FML..
View Quote

I’m almost there brother.  I woke up in a hotel in Asheville last Wednesday barely able to walk. Found a $3 walking cane at a Re-Store we went to.  Somehow I touched a nerve either unloading the suitcase out of the car, strange bed or the wild sex with the wife Tuesday night.  I have spinal stenosis and have been fighting leg weakness a long time.
Went to a chiropractor today, going back tomorrow.  Things started getting a little better last night.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Frank_B:
The beauty of binoculars is that you can do most of your observing from a reclining lawn chair.
View Quote

This, I'm collecting stuff to build a 6" F8.5 dobsonian telescope,

I built a 13.1" F4.5 dob about 15 years ago, it gave great views but it was a beast to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Klee:

I built a 13.1" F4.5 dob about 15 years ago, it gave great views but it was a beast to deal with.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Klee:
Originally Posted By Frank_B:

Klee,

Just trying to figure out your avatar.  Is this the entire history of computing in one picture - from CP/M to high rez pictures of sexy girls?  (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#49]
No one suggested ...."hookers n blow"  
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:13:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#50]
Pickleball is more fun than you know, you just have to put up with haters.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top