View Quote
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CZ5PDSV?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like your movable workbench.
View Quote

Thanks, it's a desk I had that was just sitting in the garage forever. I decided to put some wheels on it and use it for an assembly table. It is super solid and flat.
It is so damn convenient to move it around and be able to work from all sides of it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:54:24 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote
DT
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Two thumbs up.  All butt joints?  No tenons or dowels?
View Quote
@Riter

No, just pocket holes/screws. Pocket holes get a lot of hate from "real" woodworkers. I don't care though. I'm not making fine furniture,  and have only been doing this a few months. If it weren't for the Kreg pocket hole jig, I never would have gotten into this. It made building things and joinery possible for me just starting out. Sure, I'd love to learn more and finer joinery methods, but these work great for what I'm doing and make it possible. I will delve into the world of classic joinery as I go along, but as I'm learning things, this suits me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool thread, thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks Cool. One suggestion for the next one.
Hidden magnetic unlocking system. No power needed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#9]
didnt see any krab meat in there, you may want to change that
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Simple but really nice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#12]
That is neat, it would look good in a rec room or man cave.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#13]
4 coats of semi gloss polyurethane. I think I'm done. I was going to put X braces on the side, but now I'm not sure. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out considering I built my first wood project like 3 and a half months ago.

Thanks for all of the positive replies!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#14]
It looks very nice, nice work!

I need to build some small tables for the sides of my bed, and I think I'm going to steal your sliding top design, make a hidden locked space for a pistol
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Awesome.

It’d look even better done with something other than framing lumber.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#16]
@acegunner

Wow dude, that's a hell of a good idea and it came out great.  Two questions if you don't mind...

1. What happens if the battery dies on the fingerprint scanner.  Is there a manual bypass?
2. Would it be possible to mount the scanner on the inside of the frame for concealment?

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Nice work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice job, OP.  You can also use magnetic locks, where you wave a magnet past the locks and they release.  That's what ai use in one of mine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@Riter

No, just pocket holes/screws. Pocket holes get a lot of hate from "real" woodworkers. I don't care though. I'm not making fine furniture,  and have only been doing this a few months. If it weren't for the Kreg pocket hole jig, I never would have gotten into this. It made building things and joinery possible for me just starting out. Sure, I'd love to learn more and finer joinery methods, but these work great for what I'm doing and make it possible. I will delve into the world of classic joinery as I go along, but as I'm learning things, this suits me.
View Quote

Gotta start somewhere.  It wasn't that long ago that I learned to make panel doors and made four of them (plywood center) and then one with glass (barrister style bookcase).  I still need to learn how to set up a radial arm saw and a router table.  Need to buy feather boards for the tablesaw.  So much to learn and it doesn't end.

Want some fun videos with woodworking hand tools?  Watch Mark Estlea on Youtube.  English trained.   His method of instruction reminds me of my instructors at Trinidad State.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@acegunner

Wow dude, that's a hell of a good idea and it came out great.  Two questions if you don't mind...

1. What happens if the battery dies on the fingerprint scanner.  Is there a manual bypass?
2. Would it be possible to mount the scanner on the inside of the frame for concealment?

View Quote
veritas8985

1. There is a bypass with a micro USB key (can't really explain it) but worst case, I can remove the pocket screws that hold the bottom on if it ever came to that.

2. No, because that is the compartment. There is a piece of 1/2" plywood that is flush with the bottom of the top frame pieces.

You can get a RFID lock just like this, but it has a key fob or card fob to open it. The cool thing with that, is you can put the fob inside a remote, coaster, trinket etc. I didn't do that only because that would be too easy for my little boys to open. You can also do a magnet lock, but again, that wasn't good for my situation.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice work!
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Great to see a concept that will arm several people at once - Nice Job.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#24]
That's badass! Great work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#25]
You did a really nice job with that. Very cool projects. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Good afternoon, Mister Wick.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks great OP.

If you're like me, you'll build stuff, then get more tools, things like jointers and planers, then look at your earlier projects and have resist the urge to re-do them when you realize what you can easily do with the new tools

But that table looks good enough to stay just the way it is.

You might mock up some cross braces to see if you like it, since it was your original plan, but it looks fine without them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Noce!
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Very nice work

But a Keltec?

At least it’s not a HiPoint carbine

Red LEDs would be less glaring as another poster noted the light giving you away & save your night vision
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks great OP.

If you're like me, you'll build stuff, then get more tools, things like jointers and planers, then look at your earlier projects and have resist the urge to re-do them when you realize what you can easily do with the new tools

But that table looks good enough to stay just the way it is.

You might mock up some cross braces to see if you like it, since it was your original plan, but it looks fine without them.
View Quote

Are you me?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top