Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2024 4:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid]
However, I assume that anyone who calls me on the phone unsolicited, who has an Indian (or Paki, etc.) accent, is a scammer, and I have started telling them so.

Today I got a cold sales call from a man who may have been working for a legitimate replacement window contractor.  But I told him that because he had an Indian accent I had to assume that he was a criminal.  He got very upset, almost started crying, and I ended the call with my favorite quote from the movie Blazing Saddles, which starts with the word "Up".

I know that's probably not a nice thing to do, but maybe if everyone starts reflexively reacting negatively to Indian-sounding people they might go away.

Or maybe they'll start teaching their children to sound like Americans.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Ouch, but I get it. And, sadly, legit immigrants (and they do exist ) probably aren't going to get a higher level job than cold calling people in the first place...

Then again, if they farmed that out to an Indian call center...well, "oh well".
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]
How many family members are engineers?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
Ouch, but I get it. And, sadly, legit immigrants (and they do exist ) probably aren't going to get a higher level job than cold calling people in the first place...

Then again, if they farmed that out to an Indian call center...well, "oh well".
View Quote

Yes, almost every H1b of whatever visa Indian I've ever worked with was a well-educated IT techie, though a few of them have been jackasses.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I assume ANYONE that cold calls me is a scammer
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:46:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#5]
Originally Posted By m200maker:
How many family members are engineers?
View Quote

I have a first cousin who is half Indian, who is retired but was literally a rocket scientist working for NASA.  His father (100% Indian) was a chemical engineer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I've known and worked with dozens and dozens of Indians.

I've liked about three of them.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:48:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#7]
Originally Posted By thorm001:
View Quote

Sure, but fake caller ID and an OCM system, combined with an Indian accent, is like 1000% proof that they are a scammer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
However, I assume that anyone who calls me on the phone unsolicited, who has an Indian (or Paki, etc.) accent, is a scammer, and I have started telling them so.
View Quote
I assume any unsolicited call is a scammer, though I wouldn't know what accent, if any, they may have because I don't answer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Why would you answer that call?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:05:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ibn_Huq] [#10]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:He got very upset, almost started crying, and I ended the call with my favorite quote from the movie Blazing Saddles, which starts with the word "Up"

Opinions?
View Quote

Up your’s Nag Champa?

If so, I can understand that, often the accent is overwhelming; it’s almost as if you can smell them through the phone.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:10:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Twisted10] [#11]
wheres my slurpee
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Today I got a cold sales call from a man who may have been working for a legitimate replacement window contractor.  But I told him that because he had an Indian accent I had to assume that he was a criminal.  He got very upset, almost started crying, and I ended the call with my favorite quote from the movie Blazing Saddles, which starts with the word "Up".

I know that's probably not a nice thing to do, but maybe if everyone starts reflexively reacting negatively to Indian-sounding people they might go away.

Opinions?
View Quote

Get a call screening app.  And "Bene chode!"  Really pisses them off.  Pronounced like the Batman villain then choad, like toad.

Means something like sister-fucker or the like.

I am sympathetic to those who've suggested region-blocking India and China from the Internet as a whole, and I think the US is going to have a bad time with taking on a bunch of immigrants from South Asia who have zero desire to assimilate.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
Add "Or knocks on my door unsolicited" and I agree.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#14]

I have a first cousin who is half Indian, who is retired but was literally a rocket scientist working for NASA.  His father (100% Indian) was a chemical engineer.
View Quote

My roommate years ago was a quarter Indian and his grandfather was a rocket scientist for nasa.

He was a feather Indian though so pretty surprising.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:
Why would you answer that call?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

And, what's worse is when you're calling for support about something and have no choice but to deal with them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:
I've known and worked with dozens and dozens of Indians.

I've liked about three of them.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Jains= top notch. Honest, good folk.

Hindus? Not.

And they both hate muslims
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#18]
When I have a few minutes, I respond by telling those guys I work in their business.  
"You replace windows?  Well, what do you know?  I replace windows too!!!"

Some local woman called and said she was selling $99 HVAC checkups.  
I told her that I was doing them for $49, and asked what part of town she lived in.  I was surprise that she seemed interested...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:I don't have a negative opinion of Indian (dot) people
View Quote

Give it time
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By runcible:
I assume any unsolicited call is a scammer, though I wouldn't know what accent, if any, they may have because I don't answer.
View Quote

Exactly. I never reach the question of whether to ridicule and make assumptions based upon the accent, because no conversation ever ensues.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By dogsplat:

Jains= top notch. Honest, good folk.

Hindus? Not.

And they both hate muslims
View Quote

My uncle is Deravali.  He hates everyone.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I have an Indian co-worker that is one of our lead engineers, he's been here a long time and has a son that is getting ready to graduate from Texas A&M medical school. He absolutely hates getting calls from Indian telemarketers (scammers) and will go off on them in both English and Hindi.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Why do almost everyone of them vote Democrat?   We bring in tons of uneducated people to vote Democrat but the dot Indians are supposed to be so effing smart yet I read somewhere 92% of them vote Democrat.  Can they not figure out why THEIR country was such a shithole and they had to move from it?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Was the window contractor Renewal by Anderson?  I fucking hate that company.  I can't believe anyone is still stupid enough to buy from them.  Or vote Democrat.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By BombCrater:
Why do almost everyone of them vote Democrat?   We bring in tons of uneducated people to vote Democrat but the dot Indians are supposed to be so effing smart yet I read somewhere 92% of them vote Democrat.  Can they not figure out why THEIR country was such a shithole and they had to move from it?
View Quote
Because they rake in a fuckton of money from them. The government lets them come in, subsidizes them, then they buy up all of the hotels and the government completely rents them out to house more illegals.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:06:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ibn_Huq] [#28]
Microsoft update needed
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#30]
If a face or expectant call I do not recognize on my phone, ignore. I have a hard enough time dealing with junk email and texts. If I need to make a call it is important. If we need to talk, it is important and usually involves email/text.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't know, man. I think Jesus said to let my brother actually be a dipshit before I dismiss him as a dipshit. Or maybe I have to cook a bunch of veal when my brother the dipshit stops being a dipshit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Cultural insults are best.  On several occasions, I've had the scammer call me back because I've gotten them so riled up.  I won't repeat them here, lest I earn a timeout, but use your imagination.
View Quote

Let me guess, mistaking them for people from a neighboring country which became our ally by keeping Osama Bin Laden there for us to find him... After eleven years of looking.

Or is it comparing them to someone who does things with his sister which ought not be done within the family at all?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Then how will they shriek most horribly at you?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Extorris:
View Quote

Then how will they shriek most horribly at you?
View Quote
That’s a lot of sixes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Sometimes OP, you’ve gotta do the needful. May be painful but you must revert.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By BombCrater:
View Quote

They’re a weird lot. They place a high value on education, competition, and meritocracy. Many of them are culturally conservative and the men are misogynistic by American standards.

But they also love big government and bureaucracy. Like worship it. It’s like a warm blanket for them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#37]
The rampant in-group preference evident in many of their behaviors in the workplace and elsewhere, however...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I worked part time at the 911 center for 10 years, (1998-2008) while on shift at the FD.  You would not believe how many alarm companies farmed out their call centers at that time to India.

ADT, Safeguard, Sentry Watch….  They would all call in with the alarm info and we would have to wade through that accent to try and figure out where we were sending FD, EMS, SD, or PD on fire alarms, burglar alarms, hold-up alarms, I’ve fallen and can’t get up alarms, ect….

Funny listening to an Indian guy try and pronounce Osceola-Ossipee Road.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Yes, almost every H1b of whatever visa Indian I've ever worked with was a well-educated IT techie, though a few of them have been jackasses.
View Quote

Yes, almost every H1b of whatever visa Indian I've ever worked with was a well-educated IT techie jackass, though a few of them have been decent.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Opinions?
View Quote

We still have a landline because it is almost free. We let a man in a little box talk to the " unknown " callers.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Since my number is on the do not call registry I know without a doubt that they are not law abiding the minute my phone rings.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Not what I expected from the OP based on his past postings but we all have a right to feel a certain way and express those feelings.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't care either, if they had stayed in India.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#44]

My uncle is Deravali.  He hates everyone.
View Quote

So he’s one of us?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I treat all the NRA calls the same way.

Fuckers keep calling me asking for donations.

Last one sounded indian lol
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Go to Google and type:  "Pollution in the Ganges River" or "Dead bodies in the Ganges River" then click on Images.  It is horrific.  I don't understand their society at all and 87% (not kidding) of my neighbors are Indian.  They never speak to me for some reason so I just mind my own business.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Southrnshooter:
I worked part time at the 911 center for 10 years, (1998-2008) while on shift at the FD.  You would not believe how many alarm companies farmed out their call centers at that time to India.

ADT, Safeguard, Sentry Watch….  They would all call in with the alarm info and we would have to wade through that accent to try and figure out where we were sending FD, EMS, SD, or PD on fire alarms, burglar alarms, hold-up alarms, I’ve fallen and can’t get up alarms, ect….

Funny listening to an Indian guy try and pronounce Osceola-Ossipee Road.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I think this is an odd post. People are made, not born. I don't answer unknown phone calls or automatically assume anything based on a skin color, or accent. I've known lots of good people regardless of geographic birth, and lineage. Three of the absolute kindest, brightest and selfless people I've ever had the pleasure of encountering were from Ghana. I gave them a chance, and was rewarded with incredible work. I've also known some shitty ones, regardless of individual geographic location, or DNA. If one cannot derive intent based upon actions or speech, then I feel as Darwin adds another to his stable.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#49]
You answer the phone?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:39:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#50]

View Quote
All of the H1b visa resumes I have recently seen are AI fakes.  Times have changed.  Stereotypes save time.

Wake up.

I worked in engineering and did studies for an H1b "dual doctorate" hire, and not recently.  I had keys to the lab. He didn't contribute one thing to the organization.  I hope he is washing himself back in India in shit river.

I have also been to India.  I will say no more.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top