Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2024 8:58:06 PM EDT
The folks living in tornado area's have very little or no warning that they are going to get hit.
That's got to be VERY hard to deal with and my heart goes out to everybody who has to deal with it.

How the heck can you prep for the scenario that can happen at little or no notice ?
Maybe a stupid question but being prepared and ready has to be a monumental task for something that can hit you faster than an ICBM.

How the heck do you deal with it ?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, the only thing worse than tornadoes are 6.0+ earthquakes
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Bro tornados are JUST AS if not MORE scared of you then you are of them.

Flat out just get your home and be like

"Hey! You get the HELL out here alright?"  "Were not taking kindly to this business right now and you need to leave."

That's it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

"Hey! You get the HELL out here alright?"  "Were not taking kindly to this business right now and you need to leave."

That's it.
View Quote

2 shotgun blasts on the front porch too!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:05:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gingerbreadman] [#4]
Awareness is key. So is having a plan. Awareness won't steer a tornado away from your home, but it can help you keep from being caught unaware. Having a plan for where to go when it is time to go keeps you from having to come up with one on the fly.

When the real monsters come, sometimes there is nothing you can do.

NOAA Storm Prediction Center
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Op do you know what's worse that a Tornado?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By klinc:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's it.

And if you don't feed them, they stop coming back.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

I've never even had to take it that far. They're like black bears playing Five Nights at Freddy's skittish.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have lived in Tornado Alley for about 90% of my life. (Older than dirt) I watched a small one utterly destroy a barn my grandfather had just put up. I watched a bigger one tear the ass out of a small Amarillo suburb.

People have this image of helplessness in the face of a tornado. Truth is, even the biggest of big bastard tornados are maybe 50 yards wide. The likelihood of getting buttfucked by one is far lower than the risk of driving to work every morning.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#9]
You need to have a tornado shelter of some type at or near your home; my childhood home had one in the basement.  We took cover there when a tornado took out the neighborhood behind ours.  Pay attention to Tornado watches and warnings, and stay tuned to a local radio station.  We had lots of tornados in west Michigan when I was younger.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Living in a trailer house for several years made me really pay attention to the weather. If I was off work and bad weather was expected, I'd hit the road and chase the storms back home.

Night time severe weather can eat a bag of dicks. It is not a good feeling being woken up by hail hitting the house sideways, then looking down the hallway and seeing the walls flex in the wind.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Bro, it's just like hurricanes,  you just got a shorter notice window. You got your preps, and LITTERALY weather out the storm.  Then you pick up the pieces and try to recover. Hopefully you got a heavy weather location in short reach when it happens.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:25:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2ANut] [#12]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
The folks living in tornado area's have very little or no warning that they are going to get hit.
That's got to be VERY hard to deal with and my heart goes out to everybody who has to deal with it.

How the heck can you prep for the scenario that can happen at little or no notice ?
Maybe a stupid question but being prepared and ready has to be a monumental task for something that can hit you faster than an ICBM.

How the heck do you deal with it ?
View Quote

I've lived in Tornado Alley my entire life and I've only seen one tornado, decades ago. I was apparently right of the middle of everything that just happened and I still didn't see a tornado...just a little rain. The media likes to make it sound like 95% of the Midwest gets destroyed and has to be rebuilt from scratch every 3 years but it just isn't true. Tornadoes are very localized events, unlike hurricanes or earthquakes. You can be a mile away and not even know it happened. The vast majority of them don't even hit populated areas.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Kit, radio and lights stay ready to go in the basement. Stay close to the house when conditions are right.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#14]
13 years ago tomorrow, I was in the old coal bin of a 90 year old house NW of the 2011 EF4 Tuscaloosa Tornado. Afterwards, son did some quick recon and said debris fallout was about a block away.

Now I am about 1/2 mile from the ICW in the Florida panhandle. I've had power knocked out before from a hurricane (Ivan in 2004 in Tuscaloosa a couple hundred miles inland).

I'll take the hurricane over the tornado because I have orders of magnitude more TIME to take action.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot of the time there isnt a whole lot you can do, but the chances of ever getting hit by a tornado are minuscule.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#16]
When I was younger, always considered hurricanes worse, because they’re big enough to spawn their own tornadoes. Actually had this conversation slot when “Twister” was still a new movie.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ll take the hurricanes. I’ll take a warning and the chance to leave if need be. That added with lack of basements/shelters here make “planning” for a tornado about impossible.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Red-Stater:
A lot of the time there isnt a whole lot you can do, but the chances of ever getting hit by a tornado are minuscule.
View Quote

I’ve been with 1/4 mile of one twice.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ve been through quite a few hurricanes.  If you don’t live near water or low lying area, it mainly sucks because of the threat of no AC for a long period.  Tornadoes are way worse imo.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#19]
The percentage of ground that  tornadoes actually touch in comparison to the thousands of square miles it could affect are minute. But, for those in the path, it can be devastating.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:48:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label] [#20]
As much as I've grown to hate our winters... I'll take that all day long over tornadoes and hurricanes. We had a tornado up here on Father's Day 2010 that tore some buildings up (including our state's largest arena) and scared everyone, because it reminded us that they can occur here. But no one was injured or killed. To live in a place with no scenery to look at AND dread the threat of deadly weather from Spring-Fall? Nah bruh. I'll deal with snow and heavy coats.

ETA... we do get some pretty bad hail storms up here at times that have caused a shit ton of damage to vehicles, homes, giant flocks of waterfowl, etc. Our insurance rates have gone up as a result.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Canes do a lot more damage, but it’s much easier to get out of the way of one with advance notice. Tornados just randomly buttfuck people and with little notice. It’s rude!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
I have lived in Tornado Alley for about 90% of my life. (Older than dirt) I watched a small one utterly destroy a barn my grandfather had just put up. I watched a bigger one tear the ass out of a small Amarillo suburb.

People have this image of helplessness in the face of a tornado. Truth is, even the biggest of big bastard tornados are maybe 50 yards wide. The likelihood of getting buttfucked by one is far lower than the risk of driving to work every morning.
View Quote

The supercell that just hit Elkhorn was 2-miles wide. The one in Iowa tonight was over a mile wide.
Just sayin’….
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By feetpiece:
View Quote
Amen,  I HATE earthquakes, .  They are spooky as all hell.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Lost everything I owned to an F-2
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Sirens woke me up at 04:30 this morning. Dodged a small one but I have apps on my phone, a siren close enough that it sounds like it’s right outside my window and I keep a small bag with important shit next to the bed, along with a pair of Jeans and boots. I’ve lived here for 20 yrs, last year was the first time one came less than a mile from me.

We have excellent resources wrt to radar and meteorologists so I usually check the radar for the plot of the storm, and sit tight unless it’s going to be a close or direct hit. I have a shelter and I think last year was the only time since I’ve lived here that I might have needed it. That storm took out 100ft of fence and did some light roof and gutter damage.

Where I live, tornadoes are almost exclusively night time ones. It’s unnerving so you have to be ready to move quick and have a solid plan you can execute when you’re half awake. It’s gay. It’s helps to realize you’re going to die one day and fully embrace that truth. That’s how I sleep during tornado season anyway.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Drove by an F4 forming today. It was windy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:15:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Triggerstuck] [#28]
Originally Posted By ZW17:

Huh?
View Quote

The 2011 Joplin EF-5 was a mile wide at the base.

We were under a tornado warning yesterday.  We got quarter size hail and were directly in the path of the dirty side.  Had rotation, but the funnel didn’t drop.  My neighbor had an oak tree come down on her house.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#29]

That's it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Erm… what?

The one that went through Little Rock last March was wider than that. The scar on the ground was at least 200 yards wide with the debris field much larger.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By feetpiece:
View Quote
That depends on if the tornado hits you. since EQ basically don't exist and tornadoes happen in seasons. I always laugh when people in extreme weather zones are afraid of EQ. In the 46 years I've been alive there has been 1 or maybe 2 significant EQ in the US and those are in shit hole SF so no real loss.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't enjoy weather than kills 'weather' that's massive hail storms, tornadoes, hurricanes or other.

The thought of Mother Nature just leveling everything in your life seems like a high enough risk to avoid aggressively.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#34]
You get more warning if you pay attention to the weather. I’ve never been surprised by a tornado between the 2-3+ day notice and then just paying attention to the radar/warnings when you’re in the window, but not everyone does that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#35]
It is snowing for me today
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:41:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Curmudgeon762] [#36]
Meh. Grew up in Western Kansas and saw plenty. Chased them in my car just like in the movie. Even got my 69 Fairlane spun into a ditch by a baby tornado while chasing a big one. The movie Twister came out years after that happened and my buddies and I all got a kick out of it.

Hurricane prep and no power for weeks sucks individually and the widespread destruction is much more impactful so personally I prefer tornadoes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Today is the anniversary of the Tuscaloosa tornado during the 2011 Super outbreak. I captured it live on my radar software.
tusc  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top