Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2024 8:44:50 PM EDT
I have a rolling chassis. 72 El Camino. It has a 12 bolt and a cage from when I drag raced. I want a junkyard ls swap,od transmission ,with twin turbos. Convert the front to rack and pinion and disk brakes. I know a guy that does respectable work on his own. Just getting started. What would be a ballpark cost to do this.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Not cheap.  Having done a MII swap on my ‘66 Mustang, go with a quality kit that has been proven.  Join Chevelle forums and ask around since it’s the same front suspension.  Flaming River is $4000-$4500 for the parts alone.  Cannot guesstimate on labor because I’ve never done a GM.  I’m assuming you want to go power rack?  Make sure you get a matched system.  
My son did a FFR Cobra build a few years back.  Had a Fox Body rack. Problem was, Ford did a switchover to metric threads in 1990, if memory serves me correctly.   FFR didn’t specify which.  His crate engine came with a GM pump. It was a shit show getting hoses matched up and pressures correct.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#2]
What's your budget is the better question. Jut the turbos and EFI setup to run it all will be thousands if done right.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are trying to be cheap look at circle track stuff and Alston kits .
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 11:10:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#4]
Fatman Fabrications

When I put my C-10 together, Fatman had the suspension in stock and shipped immediately.  Most of the others were 6-12 week lead time.  

Solid proven parts.

Wilwood is a good value in brakes and has many options and price points. Much cheaper than Baer.

I did not buy this at Walmart.

Link Posted: 6/19/2024 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Fatman Fabrications

When I put my C-10 together, Fatman had the suspension in stock and shipped immediately.  Most of the others were 6-12 week lead time.  

Solid proven parts.

Wilwood is a good value in brakes and has many options and price points. Much cheaper than Baer.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/assembling_wilwood_JPG-3162786.jpg
View Quote

That’s not a rack and pinion conversion.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#6]
As far as cost, if you want it done, you have to just burn down a credit card, with a plan.  Trying to budget a build almost insures that it will sit unfinished for all of eternity.

Link Posted: 6/19/2024 11:22:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#7]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:

That's not a rack and pinion conversion.
View Quote
I bet they have one.  Call them. I am throwing out a source.  I will need a PO if you want me to get you a quote list.  3 hour minimum, I am shockingly expensive.

I am not new to this and I didn't just do a onesie.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I bet they have one.  Call them. I am throwing out a source.  I will need a PO if you want me to get you a quote list.  3 hour minimum, I am shockingly expensive.

I am not new to this and I didn't just do a onesie.
View Quote

In this day and time, you need to be.  A good mechanic that KNOWS what they’re doing is gold.  A dealership parts swapper that has corporate telling them what to do next is dime a dozen.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Doing the work to convert to a rack and pinion, maybe a whole new custom frame is what you want.

Something like this
https://www.schwartzperformance.com/chassis/1968-1972-a-body-gto-cutlass-chevelle-chassis/
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:
Doing the work to convert to a rack and pinion, maybe a whole new custom frame is what you want.

Something like this
https://www.schwartzperformance.com/chassis/1968-1972-a-body-gto-cutlass-chevelle-chassis/
View Quote

At minimum the frame will need to be beefed up. G-body shuffle is real. $17k for the basic chassis options on that site and it gets you coilovers, good brakes and LS motor mounts. Figure out what it will cost to do the front end swap you are considering, addressing the factory chassis flex and setting up motor mounts. How does that compare?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top