Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2020 5:21:20 PM EDT
Where should I look and what should I get
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Jeeze a little late to the party pal.

I believe RMA defense has in stock plates and is shipping some what reasonable these days. Don’t quote me on that.

Tactical assault gear also has Hesco L210’s in stock too. https://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/hesco-level-iv-stand-alone-armor.html
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI Is a thing.
Pretty late dude. From experience, stay away from AR500armor.com.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of threads here. I’ve learned a ton. Basically protection/weight/price.

You can get light and cheap but they won’t stop shit. You can get protection and light but won’t be cheap.

Decide your budget, need, and go from there.

I snagged level IV from Kota. Don’t love the carrier but multi curve ceramics for $240 is great. Heavy but I’m not rucking more than I have to in them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Original idea, chap
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
KotaOutfitters.com
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots of threads here. I've learned a ton. Basically protection/weight/price.

You can get light and cheap but they won't stop shit. You can get protection and light but won't be cheap.

I snagged level IV from Kota. Don't love the carrier but multi curve ceramics for $240 is great. Heavy but I'm not rucking more than I have to in them.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd start looking last year. Plenty of good deals since armor isn't a big seller at this time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Make sure the plates fit the carrier.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I waited three months for my plates, same for my JPC which is supposed to ship this week. However, while waiting I also jumped on a deal for some cheaper stuff that arrived in a week. So there is stuff out there, but the more particular you are about what you want, the longer you have to wait.

FYI there is an armor forum. If you're lucky you'll be the one millionth person to ask what they should get
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Why is TAG calling those 210’s level 4??
They’re not  
They’re 3+ Special Threat

Quoted:

I believe RMA defense has in stock plates and is shipping some what reasonable these days. Don’t quote me on that.

Tactical assault gear also has Hesco L210’s in stock too. https://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/hesco-level-iv-stand-alone-armor.html
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
KotaOutfitters.com
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go to www.bulletproofme.com . They will break down the different ratings, and make suggestions. I strongly suggest at least a IIA rated concealable vest, with some rifle rated plates. It will have far more day to day utility than any "battle rig" you could get. If things go the way they seem to be going, you have far more to fear from an idiot with a .22 than any Mad Max scenario.

If you want to get fancy, that website can hook you up for that. If you go that way, get a basic plate carrier and some Level III plates. You can do Level IV, but it will be bulky and expensive, and I doubt anybody will be hitting you with AP any time soon, or ever.

If you want to discuss it further, feel free to PM me.

Edited to add: Never buy used.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Program your time machine to six months ago.  Seriously though, you can find stuff.  You have to be diligent in checking for new stock on various sites and in EE.  I set up a Crye JPC2 with RMA 1092s, side plates, and a fully loaded Spiritus MK4 chest rig within the. last month.  I also set up a second carrier with level IV plates.  All in all, I set up one rig exactly how I want it with a back-up in the span of two months.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks
View Quote

On me if you wanna talk. I’ve learned a lot this last year
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Venture outside GD into the tactical forum and you will find all the info you need.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#17]
You should probably stock up on ammo and nods too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Check out Spartan Armor's 550(level IV).  

My first kit was their active shooters package. Good people, good prices and I love their advanced triple curve plates. They are very comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Check out bulletproofme.com if you want a custom made soft vest. Otherwise, just get what you can now before us lowly serfs are not allowed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
KotaOutfitters.com
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
KotaOutfitters.com

This. Per my recent exchange with Kota:

We have some big shipments coming in soon of several plates, including L210s, 4401s, 4K10s, 3810s, and we are working to launch our own line of lightweight 5.2lb level III+ plates in Q4 that will be high quality, very affordable, and made in the U.S.A., with an anticipated price point of around $130/pc."

If they pull that off, holy shit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They’re not  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
They’re not  

Quoted:

Yikes! That's ... bad.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ordered some level iv multi curve from chase tactical on June 24, they shipped today.

Watch for the Kota outfitter deal in case it comes up

Another thing I did for a set of single curves was signed up for in stock alerts on Midway USA. When I got the email I bought. They sold out in half an hour back in June.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They’re not  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
They’re not  

Quoted:

Noticed this in the reviews:

The description says L210, so going with that purchased them. Upon receipt of the two plates I noticed they are actually the 4401-GL model. I'm impressed with the quality of these plates. The downside to my purchase is that they both weigh 7.5 lbs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#25]
OP, soft armor will stop handgun rounds only.
Hard plates will stop rifle as well as handgun rounds. They do not cover the sides of your body. You have to purchase side plates plus the standard front and back for full coverage.

Safelife Defense  is making a combination of ceramic and soft armor that feels almost like soft armor, but will stop rifle rounds.  I think most companies will be doing the same in the near future.
I would pick up something in the Equipment Exchange if time is of concern though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Program your time machine to six months ago.  Seriously though, you can find stuff.  You have to be diligent in checking for new stock on various sites and in EE.  I set up a Crye JPC2 with RMA 1092s, side plates, and a fully loaded Spiritus MK4 chest rig within the. last month.  I also set up a second carrier with level IV plates.  All in all, I set up one rig exactly how I want it with a back-up in the span of two months.
View Quote

@Jarcese

If you don't mind my asking, how much did your primary setup cost?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Venture outside GD into the tactical forum and you will find all the info you need.
View Quote

Sounds scary
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lots of threads here. I’ve learned a ton. Basically protection/weight/price.

You can get light and cheap but they won’t stop shit. You can get protection and light but won’t be cheap.

I snagged level IV from Kota. Don’t love the carrier but multi curve ceramics for $240 is great. Heavy but I’m not rucking more than I have to in them.
View Quote

Untill you have to grab kids and supply.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Do you want plates? Concealable? Just soft armor?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#30]
go ned kelly design

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Does anyone have plates in stock? I got lucky and scored some when Kota got them in stock for a couple hours.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#32]
First, imo grab a ACH helmet, then concealable soft armor. Then plates/carrier.

Im happy with my sapi plates and bcs lo pro profile carrier but it sucked rucking a few days ago with my gun aiwb. Ive rucked with it at 3oclock no issues.

Ive done a bunch of training with it with no issues. Sucked rucking though. I need to rethink it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I was late too.
Paid about a 100 more than I could have elswhere but Level 4 and in stock was a priority at that moment.
Check Shellback.
Shipped within a day.
Hotlink for op
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I ordered RMA 1155 plates. Took 5.5 weeks from order to receipt. Single curve NIJ certified level IV for $135 per plate. They are not light, but not too heavy to be uncomfortable. I wear them around the house for 4-5 hours at a time to get used to them (and because my wife thinks I wasted money on something I would never wear).

There are better, lighter plates out there, but for $270, these will do for me in my conservative area.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#35]
ESSTAC

Cry once well maybe a few times, but quality
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@Jarcese

If you don't mind my asking, how much did your primary setup cost?
View Quote

$210 for JPC 2  from www.aotac.com they have some Sm and Lrg in stock now, no Med though.

Www.rmaarmament.com
$189 for level IV 6x6 side plates
$55 Shellback side pouches
$540 for 1092 Level 3+ RMA 1092s
$785 total with coupon code

$300 Spiritus MK4 loaded from EE

Just over 1k total.  Side plates are not necessary, but I wanted to try them.  They don't bother me while wearing them, but they make it hard to put the carrier on quickly.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I have. Nice plates for the cost.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

$210 for JPC 2  from www.aotac.com they have some Sm and Lrg in stock now, no Med though.

Www.rmaarmament.com
$189 for level IV 6x6 side plates
$55 Shellback side pouches
$540 for 1092 Level 3+ RMA 1092s
$785 total with coupon code

$300 Spiritus MK4 loaded from EE

Just over 1k total.  Side plates are not necessary, but I wanted to try them.  They don't bother me while wearing them, but they make it hard to put the carrier on quickly.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/473548/20200824_183529_jpg-1560828.JPG
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Some pretty informative youtube vids available as well from guys that I think are somewhat unbiased.  Then do what you feel works for your situation and availability.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah man We been buying up armor for months. Best bet is probably to check out LA police gear and see if they have any of their ceramics in stock. I got lvl 3 within a week and ordered a few plate carriers from Spartan and Tactical Scorpion Gear. Even ordered a set of steel plates for an extra set.

Get busy and check out youtube. mrgunsngear has a great video on it.
Everything You Need To Know About Body Armor Before It's Banned! (4K)

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Esstac has 3810 in stock
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top