Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2022 1:24:59 AM EDT
Engine and drive train parts are durable and in abundance. They’re still around dirt cheap, including rust free interceptors from the southwest. One could probably make a pretty badass car on a budget fairly easy.

Anyone with experience have any pros or cons before I start looking for one? I know it’s be a bit of work, but something like this would be fun as hell. If they completed this car properly it would look great too.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRDXAbRR/?k=1

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:33:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool project car!

A lot of good parts available and a lot of mustang parts will work with it.  Like superchargers.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:35:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The main appeal of the Crown Vic was its interior roominess, ride comfort and durability.

Building one up doesn't exploit any of those traits.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:41:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't we have a member who's screen name is CrownVic with such?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#4]
A popular gear head youtuber named Cleetus McFarland built a Crown Vic and called it "Neighbor". Batshit doesn't even begin to describe it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:10:21 AM EDT
[#5]
There was a dide some time ago that put a built Triton V-10 into one. It integrated really well, he had to do a little custom work to make the speed sensors work right was about all.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:11:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Crown Vic owner here (2010 CVPI). They're essentially the best evolution of body on frame sedans ever made. Not as good as unibody for handling and chassis rigidity but they handle quite well with significant suspension mods. You'll want to get the suspension/brakes sorted before you even think about anything powertrain related.

Adtr.net is your friend for performance anything panther platform related.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:23:35 AM EDT
[#7]
My buddy, who collects vintage Mustangs, has one. Its an ex-FBI car, has all the cop stuff.

But its maroon. And its still a rolling couch.
If it had GPS it would have “Village Inn” marked as s favorite… but only before five. Can’t be staying up all night!
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:37:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Vortech Supercharged Crown Vic | 450HP Six Speed Manual Cop Car
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:39:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Why these haven't come back into production is baffling.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:48:23 AM EDT
[#10]

I'd rather start here...
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:53:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Step up to the town car. It’s my daily driver , and I wouldn’t  trade it for anything.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:01:46 AM EDT
[#12]
If you decide to pursue a performance build, ditch the 4.6 2 valve. Go straight to a Coyote swap.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:13:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Step up to the town car. It’s my daily driver , and I wouldn’t  trade it for anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Perhaps you don't understand what that car actually is...
2003 Mercury Marauder: Regular Car Reviews

Mercury Marauder.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:21:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I’m just finishing up a ‘31 Vicky.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:23:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Please... PLEASE, Put Ford power in it.
Please...
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:41:42 AM EDT
[#16]

In 2007 I was looking for a car to get around in and test drove and almost purchased a used 2004 Marauder with low miles. I wanted more interior space so I bought an Explorer instead. Man oh man do I regret that decision…
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:14:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Do a Town Car.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd do a 5.0l/10spd coyote swap if it was me. If not you can supercharge them pretty easy.

A lot of it comes down to how much money you're wanting to throw at it. It never winds up being anywhere near as cheap or easy as you think it will be.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Cool project car!

A lot of good parts available and a lot of mustang parts will work with it.  Like superchargers.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/209044/1999-ford-crown-victoria-front-right-vie-2469172.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#21]
There's one with a supercharged 5.4 out of a lightning and a tko 6 speed local to me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A popular gear head youtuber named Cleetus McFarland built a Crown Vic and called it "Neighbor". Batshit doesn't even begin to describe it.
View Quote

Neighbor is an awesome car.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTJq7WU0VdU
Mercury Marauder.
View Quote

IIRC they were great cars that nobody bought.

If I was going to get another sedan, a crown vic is exactly what I'd get.   Gimme dat rolling couch! Gotta get to the restaurant before 5 to get the early bird special!
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm a GM guy and former LE, was really impressed with the last gen of CVPI after years of Chevys. Fully geared up with emergency equipment my issued unit ran an informal 8 sec 0-60. Handled great in sticky situations. Not a fan of Ford electronics, dash layouts or that crazy cam phaser BS when I later bought a Lincoln Navigator with the 5.4 3V but when they run, they run like a bat outta hell.  I think the Charger is a better performing chassis but every ghetto whore has one these days and I always want something just a little unique.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I seriously looked at it as a DD option.  What made me pass was

1) Time/Cost of a manual swap -  I've got too much else going on for that level of effort
2) 4.6 is fairly lousy MPG / HP ratio
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If I was going to get another sedan, a crown vic is exactly what I'd get.   Gimme dat rolling couch! Gotta get to the restaurant before 5 to get the early bird special!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTJq7WU0VdU
Mercury Marauder.

They only made about 11k between '03-'04 model years with most of that run in '03. They were cool but wound up being pretty underwhelming for the price/hype/expectations when they came out. I mean no one was expecting them to hang with corvettes but they just were kind of *meh*. There was a sweet spot after they came out where the prices dropped a lot and you could pick them up for not much more than a regular panther and that would have been a steal.

Personally I like the regular panthers because I like the bench seats for better road head and parking lot sex shenanigans. . That said I'd love to find a dark pearl blue marauder and slap a blower on it and call it a day.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Mercury Marauders are pushing $20k these days. At that cost I’d just trade my daily in on a new RT/used SRT Challenger.

Though if I found a cheap Magnum RT that wasn’t beat to shit by ghetto trash I might jump on it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#28]
The real problem with the Marauder these days is 9/10 times they are clapped out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#30]
A V-10 fits.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#31]
You're going to need a Time-sert
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Awesome. There is a '36 sitting in a garage around here that is complete, the interior has long snce rotted away but all the metal bits are there and only surface rusted. I can have it for free if I want...really tempted to put it on a newer frame and throw a big v8 in it. Need the space and time before tackling that project.

Usee to want a Marauder in the worst way, now I'd settle for one of the cushier panther platform cars and do some suspension work and power adders. Really don't need, just want and can't justify it taking up space.

Great cars and damn near bulletproof.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#33]
I’m still driving one for work.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I’ve owned several Crown Vics/Grand Marquis and they are one of my favorite cars for the price/quality etc.  My current DD is an 03 CV sport. The only major issue with the cars is that they are woefully underpowered.  One day I will LS swap one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Someone here did a manual swap on one. ToledoXJ?

That sounds like it would be fun to play with.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Full Crown Vic frame swap:

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you decide to pursue a performance build, ditch the 4.6 2 valve. Go straight to a Coyote swap.
View Quote
I've occasionally fantasized about doing that to my Towncar. I've probably got another 100k left on my current drivetrain though, so I've got plenty of time to contemplate it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really. They were floppy boats that got 17-18 MPG.

There are two major constraints here:

1) CAFE MPG requirements. CAFE breaks vehicles into "cars" and "trucks." Cars have higher requirements than trucks. A unibody mom wagon like a Ford Edge, Honda Odyssey, or even a Toyota RAV4 gets graded and averaged as a "truck." The Crown Vic was graded as a car. A "truck" that gets 30 MPG helps corporate averages while a car that gets 17 hurts A LOT. For that reason alone, manufacturers have a huge incentive to push the market into SUVs and CUVs.

2) Platform engineering. Manufacturers are consolidating platforms and drivetrains to save on development costs, and some are going to pretty extreme lengths to do it. Toyota is boiling down their platforms to just two sets: one for unibody vehicles and one for BOF vehicles. This consolidation is the entire reason why Peugeot is merging with Fiat Chrysler. There is also a growing number of systems and vehicles co-developed by competing manufacturers. The F-150 and Silverado use the same 10 speed transmission that Ford and GM collaborated on. Toyota got in bed with BMW for the Supra/Z4. Toyota is also in bed with Mazda for a new I6 powered SUV thing. GM is in bed with Honda for a new EV CUV. A car like the Crown Vic can't share much engineering with any other model unless they were to literally slap a sedan body on a lowered F-150 at which point, you still have the CAFE problem.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This!
View All Quotes
My dick is as hard as Chinese arithmetic!

Drove many thousands of miles in Vic cruisers. Best Prowl car ever.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#43]
The coils are on the spark plug wires and tend to go bad so if you keep engine stock you probably want to replace along with plugs when u get it, if they look like they have been there for awhile.    If they are really old they can be a pita to get out.  

If you can find the grandpa car it’s better then cop car as far as how abused they will be.     Keep in mind there things are ~ 20 years old so things wear out.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Coyote swap and a blower.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#45]
06 P71 package checking in.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#46]
These cars are tanks. They aren't the most powerful, but they are made to take abuse and with regular maintenance will last a long time. I currently own two of them. an '05 P71, and an '08 LX. If Ford still made them, I'd buy a new one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

LE wants SUVs, LE was their biggest buyer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

My daily driver, never a cop car.
Got it cheap, did a 4K mile road trip in it. I’ll drive it anywhere right now.
I drove them for 20 years as cop cars.
I like them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

LE wants SUVs, LE was their biggest buyer.
View Quote

Ford shutting down Panther production let Chevy kick the door down for Tahoe as the de factor cop car in America.

Even if Ford did bring back a rwd cop car, Tahoe isnt going anywhere anytime soon.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Wife daily drives this Z56 Tahoe PPV. But I wouldn't mind a Crown Vic.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top