Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 6:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Move so you can have that dog.  800 sq feet is too small anyway, you're a man (or woman), not a laying hen.  

GSD's are great first dogs if you've got the space.  Will likely do fine with cats (especially a pup) though they're all individuals and have their own personalities.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 6:25:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would love another GSD!!! solid black!!!
View Quote

Got one for my son ...two months old and 25 lb in this pic ,now six months and 50 lbs. ..Lola
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 6:30:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Got one for my son ...two months old and 25 lb in this pic ,now six months and 50 lbs. ..Lolahttps://hosting.photobucket.com/images/nn240/dneal33/DSC01176.JPG" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/nn240/dneal33/DSC01176.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would love another GSD!!! solid black!!!

Got one for my son ...two months old and 25 lb in this pic ,now six months and 50 lbs. ..Lolahttps://hosting.photobucket.com/images/nn240/dneal33/DSC01176.JPG" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/nn240/dneal33/DSC01176.JPG

BEAUTIFUL!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#4]
GSDs really need room to run.  I don't think it will work with your living situation.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A GSD puppy?  As a first dog? With other cats? In an 800 sqft apartment?  

Are you out of your fucking mind?
View Quote

This!

I love GSDs. My son has one that is amazing, but she required (and still does) constant training, work, and outlets for her energy. I'd love one, but I'm honest enough with myself to admit it is too much work for me at my age and lifestyle.

When my son got Abbey as a puppy, they already had an adult cat named Jinx. Jinx is really chill and not an asshole like so many cats are. Jinx set the rules for the puppy and now they are best buds. It is hysterical to watch a hundred-pound GSD play with a cat like it is a live chew toy, and the cat love every minute of it. They will snuggle together and sleep in the same dog bed too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I am a complete couch potato, I'm hoping this could help change that.

To be clear, I am not decided on this breed or even a dog at all, I'm just considering it
View Quote

WORST dog ever for a couch potato. I have one right now whining at me to get my ass in gear. Mine is 7 1/2 now and requires a good 12-16 hours a day total attention. Walking him, running him, hiking with him, working him, throwing the ball for him, finding new jobs for him to do. Puppy GSD need a job...a full time job...they are not a good first dog for most. They are beyond smart and have about a 500 word vocabulary. He is smart, loyal, protective and a complete and utter asshole. Get a Golden Retriever.....we have one of those too...Our GSD is a DDR Shepherd and was a military flunky for bomb sniffing detail. Smartest craziest best dog ever but works me to the bone every freaking moment and day

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Apt too small and you likely don't have time for a puppy.

I got Kali when she was 8 weeks old, she she was young it was in and out of the house for potty time every hour until she got old enough to hold it a longer.

She still sheds like a snowstorm that never ends. Dog hair is almost as bad as sand when it comes to getting it out of my truck.

Stepping on puppy teeth barefoot in the dark is like hitting a random Lego.

Getting it trained is half the battle. Keeping it trained I'd the other half. Prepare to practice what it's learned.

We have 2 cats and she loves them. They aren't super fond of her lol. When they play 2400 sqft of house isn't enough for all the running. Think tiny herd of elephants.

Lots of toys, when they are little and teething keep stuffing them in their mouth so they don't discover how nice the furniture feels.

The snuggles are fantastic, and I have a shadow that would wreck anyone she thought is going to hurt me.

Having done the puppy thing once now, I don't think I would do it again until I'm retired and can spend all day with them for 7 to 8 months. If I got to get a 2nd today it would be a 1-2 yr old so we could skip the potty every hour stage and get to the fun stuff straight away.

Kalishnidog waiting for me to drop something she can eat or pretend to season her food with shake cheese before she has her breakfast, spoiled brat.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It would be my first dog. I currently have 2 cats, 8 and 6. My biggest concern is how they would interact and that they wouldn't feel like they've been replaced or discarded. I'd be getting it from a large local certified breeder, and getting it trained. I live in about an 800 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment. What would I be getting myself into here?
View Quote

They are a lot of work, and require a lot of training.  They aren't the type of dog you just throw in the backyard and ignore.

With any big dog that has the tools to kill you.....you need to have a good training program setup, and make sure they understand who the Alpha is.

They are big dogs and need lots of room.....not an inside house dog.

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#9]
@BLKVoodoo

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It would be my first dog. I currently have 2 cats, 8 and 6. My biggest concern is how they would interact and that they wouldn't feel like they've been replaced or discarded. I'd be getting it from a large local certified breeder, and getting it trained. I live in about an 800 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment. What would I be getting myself into here?
View Quote

That's kind of cruel - keeping a working breed dog that will grow to 75-100 lbs in a tiny apartment (or any dog bigger than a teacup poodle IMO).

A GSD needs to work (ball is Life) which is training and exercise.  That means walks / runs, dog training classes, play, training on your own...

If you work, then go to a bar, game 3-4 hours, etc where does the above fit in?

Plus your apartment management.

If you go ahead, find a breeder that breeds for temperament (pet) not work drive.  My Mavrik is as chill a GSD as you'll find and I still spend 3-4 hours a day walking him & throwing the ball.

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Lots of exercise will be a must for a GSD.  If you don't want it chewed up hide it.  When you think it's well hidden hide it better.  Enjoy a friend among friends.

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#12]
small apartment...you gonna leave that poor pup alone for 10 hours a day with nothing to do?

get a rabbit
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#13]
800 Sq/Ft.  No.

These 2 would wreck 800 sq/ft in a week and that would just be knee deep fur from the shedding.  They have 9 fenced acres and don't really get tired.

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#14]
A GSD has more energy than something like a English Bulldog or Bullmastiff; I've had all three.

Currently have a GSD and a Bullmastiff.
We have a 1,500 ft house with a small fenced backyard.The dogs spend the majority of their time in the den, so removing a bedroom would not really change anything.

Until a dog is about a year & half, 18 months old or more it probably is not safe (prudent) to leave it unsupervised and free in the house. You are going to want a large crate that it can stay in for when you have to leave.

A GSD is going to require more exercise to be tired, think in terms of a two mile walk in the morning and evening.

A English Bulldog or Bullmastiff will be content with a walk down the street or around the block.

A bored GSD is more likely to tear up more shit than a bored Pug.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#15]
First you will each fight for your life, then you will both fight for each other.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I raised a GSD in a 1500 SF city row home. It is doable, but they need a lot of exercise.  Daily 3 mile walks and frequent trips to the park.  However, I am an experienced dog owner.  I think that there are easier breeds for new dog owners.

Regardless of breed, read "the art of raising a puppy" by Monks of New Sleet (sp?).

ETA: mine is Czech working lines.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

To be clear, I am not decided on this breed or even a dog at all, I'm just considering it
View Quote
That and a small apartment = not a good environment for a gsd.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Deleted
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn’t do it in your situation.

Our cat absolutely hated our little Maltese puppy for 6+ months and basically stayed downstairs. I can imagine how that would have worked out had he not been able to get away from here.

We walk our Maltese 2-3 miles per day at a brisk pace and she still comes home and plays hard with her “bestie” that lives across the alley for an hour when possible yet has energy for zoomies in the house afterwards.

I can’t fathom having a dog 15 times her size and the energy they’d have. I’d honestly be unable to deal with that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  Not fair to the dog.  Your landlord will not be pleased.  This has train wreck written all over it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#21]
What you get from the dog depends on the time you put in during the first two years.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A GSD in an apartment??
It can be done if OP is not a couch potato.

If you want a dog (and that’s completely understandable; dogs are awesome companions), get a dog for the life you have, not the life you wish you had. Meaning acknowledge the small space, lack of physical activity, and plan accordingly. Breeds that could work for you:

Chihuahua - seriously, they can be very active little dogs, very trainable, and from a good breeder, very sweet. But the big thing is that they can fit well into an 800 sq ft living space and don’t need you to be active for them to get enough activity to satisfy their needs.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - super sweet, up for anything you want to do, whenever you want to do it.

Chow Chow - a lot more territorial than the other two. Pretty lazy, but will go on walks with you. Not inclined to like a lot of people, not particularly tolerant of children.

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#23]
My GSD at 7.5 years old still wants 2 walks and at least 3 ball playing sessions per day. If you dont have a way to let him/her run loose for a bit, it will be a very tough situation for them to get enough exercise. We moved and had to live in a rental for 4 months with no yard. Had to take her to the dog park every day and it was still not enough. Sometimes we went 2x a day.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Based off OP's statement this will not go well and he will be advertising free GSD in a few weeks or months.  Also he will be looking for a general repair guy to come in.  
Based off what OP's current living situation I would recommend a terrier of some sort and not a Jack Russel.  Maybe a Spaniel as well would be a good option.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What you get from the dog depends on the time you put in during the first two years.
View Quote

Words of TRUTH.

We did the most crazy thing to socialize him to everything we could images.   It paid off.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Your living situation is absolutely not ideal for a German Shepherd. I’m a lifetime shepherd owner. Even in my 3000 square-foot house it’s not enough. They need a ton of exercise and will get restless and destructive if they don’t get it. If you are a super active person, it may work out if you just use your apartment to sleep and eat and screw but they do need to get out daily and work out that energy.

As far as cats go, my shepherd loves our cat. They play all the time and chase each other around and it gets quite comical so the interaction between felines and canines is completely workable with that breed if you start early with a puppy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#27]
My wife and I have owned six GSDs (3 males / 3 females) since we've been married. All of these GSDs did not have the drive of "working class" GSDs, they were all what I would describe as "pet quality". We always had a large yard / acreage for our dogs to get their exercise in. "Working class" GSDs (Czech, West German, DDR / East German to mention a few) are dogs that are bred for work and MUST be exercised regularly and if they're not they WILL channel that energy into rearranging your apartments contents.

You're not going to know if your potential GSD is going to tolerated your cats until they meet. You might want to ask your breeder if your room mates (cats) and the dog can have a "meet and greet" session before comitting. Generally speaking, the female GSD is geared more towards protecting people. The male GSD is more into protecting property / house. I would say that a female GSD would PROBABLY more likely to get along with your cats.

I agree with all of the people here that have suggested that a GSD is NOT the dog for you now because of your living quarters.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#28]
If you are extremely active outdoors a GSD is a possibility.  If not active then No Way.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Cats may be a problem. One of mine absolutely hates dogs and several times attacked dogs 2 times his size and chased them and their owners down the street. He's between 20 and 22 lbs BTW.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Please listen to the warnings provided here. I won't be getting my next GSD until I am fully retired. I live in a Townhouse.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Im just here for the "My landlord kicked me out and wont give me back my security deposit" post... OP.. good luck.. GSD's are A LOT of work.. not that they arent worth it... But if you currently live a sedimentary lifestyle... YOU WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THAT!
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking.

Maybe get a Yorkie or some other ankle biter sized dog.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#34]
You've never raised a puppy before, you live in a apartment and your biggest concern is your cats?
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

We had three cats and got a lab four years ago, they all adjusted fine.
It just took one swat on his nose from one of the cats and he just left them alone, he just wanted to sniff them when he was young.
Two of the cats have passed away from old age and the one remaining tries to bully the lab, but at 87 lbs vrs 16 lbs it doesn't last long.
I bought my dog from a good breeder and I did all the training, I'm in a home, not sure how the apartment thing would work.
You better contact the landlord before you buy the dog, they may have some restrictions.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#36]
You guys act like a GSD would destroy the living room carpet while you were in the other room.
And that's exactly what my GSD did
The one before him was so kind as to rip off all the lattice work around my deck.

It's like having a 2-year-old armed with power tools on a sugar high.

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#37]
OP - please listen to the above replies for your and the dog's well-being.  
If you're gone a lot, you're looking at separation anxiety with a dog that will bark all day long (and GSDs are loud), you want the largest crate that you can find (taking up a lot of room), and the shedding is unbelievable (I could fill up a shopping bag with a good combing, its more than you think).  
I'd suggest try to get a place with a large back yard so you can enjoy a GSD.  But there are a lot of great dogs out there.  They all have their own personalities.  

I lost my 10 y/o GSD last month. That girl was pure love.  Probably one of the best dogs we've ever had.  She looked very similar to @Mach1run's dog.
Does anyone know what this coat color is called? I called it buff, the vet had a similar GSD and she called the color honey. idk.  
And now I'm looking for a working line GSD puppy, so if someone can recommend someone with great dogs, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Make you find a breeder of working lines, NOT SHOW LINES!
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You guys act like a GSD would destroy the living room carpet while you were in the other room.
And that's exactly what my GSD did
The one before him was so kind as to rip off all the lattice work around my deck.
It's like having a 2-year-old armed with power tools on a sugar high.
View Quote

Don't close them in the bathroom for a quick run to the store either. That's a very bad idea, unless you need a new door and flooring or upgrade to ceramic tile.    
Let them ride with you so you can start a bad habit early  
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Please listen to the above advise.
We just lost our 12 yo West German and have a 1.3 yo West German we got as a 8 week old. If you do not have the experience/ time/patients/room. Just wait. It's not fair for either one of you. This is where most of the horror stories come from. That and bad breaders. Research research research.
Rescue are great for an experienced GSD owner.
IMHO

And factor in at least $100 + per month in things to chew on besides you and your house. Not food.
And we have 2 roombas that run every day.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Make you find a breeder of working lines, NOT SHOW LINES!
View Quote

Living in an 800 sq foot dwelling with a couch potato lifestyle, that’s the LAST thing in the world he needs.

@winddummy82
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I love GSDs.  They are energetic and will consume your time.  They will shed like crazy.  But they will loyally love you and protect you.  And they are fuzzy to hug.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not to be a dick, but it probably won't.

I got my GSD at about 1 and he's 11. They take a lot of everything. Exercise, food, water, poop bags (I double bag my hand sometimes), vacuums.

There are other breeds better suited for apartments that would also like taking walks and getting you moving but don't require the energy expenditure that GSDs do.

If they don't get enough exercise they get crazy and destructive. I can't imagine having a puppy in an apartment.

Hair. there's constantly fucking hair everywhere. I'm on my third rhumba and that one needs to be disassembled and hopefully I can get the wheels to roll again. You will never know the self hatred of dusting a shelf with spray and paper towels just to have a hair fall ever so gently onto the damp track you just left. I've come close to Maj. Payne-ing my dog several times.

Mine is an awesome dog but they are a lot. I'd check out other breeds if I lived in an apartment.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I suggest to consider another breed. I have one 6yr old GSD that I had since he was 8 weeks old and will be picking up another GSD puppy tomorrow. They need space and are very active dogs. He would go nuts spending most of his time in an apartment and will then become very destructive. Mine has 5 acres to run around and he loves being outside.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#46]
You live in a small apartment, and you’re looking at a high energy dog?

Stick with cats.

I got a puppy while still having two senior cats. It’s been hilarious, but it’s a golden retriever, not a GSD. And we have a house with a yard.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Do not get a GSD pup. You do not have enough room. They will have energy for days and needs to be able to get it out.

You are going to end up with a destroyed home and will probably get rid of the dog.

DON'T DO IT.
View Quote

This, extremely dumb idea...
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Do not get a GSD pup. You do not have enough room. They will have energy for days and needs to be able to get it out.

You are going to end up with a destroyed home and will probably get rid of the dog.

DON'T DO IT.
View Quote
This very true. Get a Belgian malinois instead. Much more laid back!
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Nazi dog, hope you don't have any children.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#50]
@blueheeler426

She's a Sable colored GS.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top