Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don julio
View Quote
Our room greeting at the place we like to go.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By WOAFP:
arfcom seems like proof that advertising works, even if your product is garbage.
View Quote

Dude I have lists on napkins of your recommendations, ARFCOM ads are the best ads lol..
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Hot damn this is tasty!!! The reposado is nice but the anejo is wonderful!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m not a hugely experienced tequila drinker but I have spent thousands of dollars on this.

Attachment Attached File

For $34 it’s a very good neat drink.

If I’m going for value I usually grab a $20 bottle of this.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By socommatthews:

This one. I’m a simple man so a shot or two with a lime is how I usually do it. 
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115870/B78580C0-ED24-4B00-A699-B449297B9D4D_png-1416035.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My local store has a few bottles of single barrel Anejo for about $140.

Of the ocho? If you're a spirits guy it's impossible to beat. Not a good option if you're looking for super soft flavors or something for cocktails. It is meant to be enjoyed neat like a well aged whiskey.

Also what part of Texas? As soon as I'm allowed I need to fly into Houston for work.

This one. I’m a simple man so a shot or two with a lime is how I usually do it. 
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115870/B78580C0-ED24-4B00-A699-B449297B9D4D_png-1416035.JPG

Don't do shooters with that !    Sip it neat.

If you're going to do shots with lime, then don't go over $30 a bottle.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Herradura Anejo Hands down!
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sunnybean:
I’m not a hugely experienced tequila drinker but I have spent thousands of dollars on this. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96670/250E4CE9-E597-48BB-AA1C-06E7D9CB9A81_jpe-1417726.JPG

For $34 it’s a very good neat drink. 

If I’m going for value I usually grab a $20 bottle of this. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96670/23778E6A-326D-41DF-84DC-64069F891C3E_jpe-1417733.JPG
View Quote

Corralejo!

That's from my old stomping grounds. Pretty darned obscure. Not even in Jalisco.

Was just there not too long ago. They were selling this.

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you have anything good OP?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#9]

If you ever see one of their single barrels, buy them on site. They sell out super fast but are the anejo at cask strength and are the best tequila I've ever had!
View Quote

@WOAFP

Will do, thank you!!

I should add that my “locally famous margaritas” are famous in my house and they have three ingredients. Tequila, freshly squeezed limes, and a bit of simple syrup.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Ranch Water=Codigo Reposado, Topo Chico (club soda) with a squeeze of lemon.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#12]
@WOAFP

I tried the El Tesoro Repo a couple days ago. What a flavorful pour. Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad everyone is enjoying the recommendations!

I just love sharing the gospel of better booze. Life is too short for bad tequila.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Let me know what you think. Those tesoro Reposados are so good. Also let me know how you like that piggy back. I've been curious since it released.
View Quote
The Tesoro was excellent.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't think it ever was.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Everything is cat piss until you taste this. Once you drink this you will never want to drink any other tequila ever.

Link
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#17]
3 pages and no Zafiro Añejo...

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Espolon Añejo is really damn good for the price.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve been trying a few different mescaleros recipes over the last month. Tonite it’s Dona Ji’. Slightly harsh on the nose with a strong ethanol burn, but very sweet all the way through. A good full palate - not quite syrupy but full. A bit much neat, yet full of pure Agave flavor. I think it may make an awesome margarita. But a nice sip followed by a slice of an orange is very nice.  One of the most refreshing Mezcals I’ve had yet.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:04:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Did you have anything good OP?
View Quote

Hey @WOAFP I ended up getting a bottle of this Ocho single barrel based on your suggestion. Haven’t been able to enjoy it yet but I did take a sip. Definitely more complex than the Patron I remember. Thoughts on drinking it cold? Room temp? Etc?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:48:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Er_Mah_Gerd:

Don Julio is pretty damned good or some shit in a ceramic type bottle (no idea what brand but white and blue)
View Quote

@Er_Mah_Gerd

You mean this ceramic white and blue bottle?  Solorzano Blanco.  To me, it's second only to Regalo de Dios Añejo (not sold outside of Mexico).  12 year aged.  

Camarena and Hornitos for margaritas.  ice, fresh lime juice, and agave syrup.    

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 2:15:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I drank some patrone one time, that had to be about the most awful thing I've ever drank.

I don't know how people drink that voluntarily, for fun
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 2:19:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Supra:

@Er_Mah_Gerd

You mean this ceramic white and blue bottle?  Solorzano Blanco.  To me, it's second only to Regalo de Dios Añejo (not sold outside of Mexico).  12 year aged.  

Camarena and Hornitos for margaritas.  ice, fresh lime juice, and agave syrup.    

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/69574/Screenshot_20200517-003012_Gallery_jpg-1419706.JPG
View All Quotes

Don Julio is pretty damned good or some shit in a ceramic type bottle (no idea what brand but white and blue)

@Er_Mah_Gerd

You mean this ceramic white and blue bottle?  Solorzano Blanco.  To me, it's second only to Regalo de Dios Añejo (not sold outside of Mexico).  12 year aged.  

Camarena and Hornitos for margaritas.  ice, fresh lime juice, and agave syrup.    

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/69574/Screenshot_20200517-003012_Gallery_jpg-1419706.JPG

No, it was a taller bottle. I’ll see if I can find a pic. Had it at a Mexican joint when I asked for a good shot. Maybe it wasn’t ceramic? It was a to-kill-ya night!

Clas azul

@supra
Nice user name!
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 2:45:55 AM EDT
[#24]

No, it was a taller bottle. I’ll see if I can find a pic. Had it at a Mexican joint when I asked for a good shot. Maybe it wasn’t ceramic? It was a to-kill-ya night!

Clas azul
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0a/9f/02/0a9f026bb1a04c1f5ed53d0639d698d8.jpg
@supra
Nice user name!
View Quote

Oh damn, I posed my Mexican posse thinking I was right.  And thanks!

That's one sexy bottle.  Looks like a Tesla coil butt plug.  Lord Tequila in this thread said Clase Azul sucked tho.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 3:26:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fortaleza
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Oh damn, I posed my Mexican posse thinking I was right.  And thanks!

That's one sexy bottle.  Looks like a Tesla coil butt plug.  Lord Tequila in this thread said Clase Azul sucked tho.

View Quote

Clase Azul is nothing but marketing to separate people from their money. The guy who started and runs it has no interest in tequila and has said in many interviews that his original tequila was "terrible because it was packaged with a tacky sombrero and mustache". Then to correct that Lomeli decided to go back to school to get a master's degree in luxury marketing to "elevate his brand." He then put a massive focus on pretty bottles and not the spirit.

Clase Azul is a perfect example of what happens when people spend a lot of money on something. Blind reviews (where people don't know what they are poured) are terrible for it. Most call it too sweet, thin bodied, and lacking any sort of agave forward flavors. Community reviews where people review it after buying the expensive bottle and then sharing always rate it really high but then still reference it's over the top sweetness. However, they put it as a positive in that case with the money they've spent.

A walk around their website will show you what the company is making, pretty bottles with mediocre tequila. If you want a pretty bottle, clase Azul is hard to beat. If you want a good tequila there are so many that are better out there for less money.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Hey @WOAFP I ended up getting a bottle of this Ocho single barrel based on your suggestion. Haven’t been able to enjoy it yet but I did take a sip. Definitely more complex than the Patron I remember. Thoughts on drinking it cold? Room temp? Etc?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115870/D490D020-0257-48CF-81AB-68F6DDCD2872_png-1419619.JPG
View Quote

I prefer neat out of a wide mouth glass for sipping at room temperature, but the fun part about alcohol is enjoy it how you like. Good tequila makes better Palomas and margaritas, good tequila and some seltzer water is great.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Quintin:
Patron has this image behind it that sells it a lot.  Rappers rappin' about doing shots of Patron in the club and shit, which is probably how most people drink it (or in a margarita) and to be honest that's the only way I've ever drank it.  When you're drinking cold shots with lime and you've probably already had a beer or two or you're chasing them with beer, it doesn't really matter what it tastes like.

The better quality, properly made tequilas are quite enjoyable to drink.
View Quote

This is really what it boils down to, Americans are drinking tequila in a way that it almost doesn't make sense to drink good tequila. Its always smart to avoid mixtos and agave syrup additives if you don't want a headache, but if you're going to put it in the freezer and try to down it before you taste it, then just get something in the $20 range and call it a day.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Fortaleza hands down.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By j0hn:
Fortaleza hands down.
View Quote

Fortaleza and tesoro are the benchmarks to measure other tequila by.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

Espolón is pretty good
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:
Originally Posted By SCvARminter:
Espolon.

Espolón is pretty good

It is a very inexpensive Tequila for how good it tastes. I line the Anjeo!
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#33]
This agave talk made me bust out some for the night.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#34]
@WOAPF

What is the difference in Fortaleza Reposado and Fortaleza Anejo? I can only find the reposado...
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@WOAPF

What is the difference in Fortaleza Reposado and Fortaleza Anejo? I can only find the reposado...
View Quote

The difference is the amount of time in the barrel and the amount of oak influence that adds. The repo spends between 8 to 10 months in a barrel while most of their anejos are usually around 18 months. Fortaleza, like most good tequila makers puts the focus on the agave and does not rechar their barrels, however, they do retire their barrels faster than other makers. They use american oak (read ex bourbon) barrels exclusively which leaves a huge amount of flavor influence. This gives a lot of vanilla, caramel, maple, and some banana and overripe fruit notes. This balances well with the citrusy flavors from the agave and never overpower it. When you hear of someone looking for a really dark oaky tequila, they are probably better just getting a cheap whiskey, because you've overpowered the agave it was made from. The reposado is perfect for people who like some of the barrel influence but really also appreciate the terroir and influence of the agave.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top