[#1]
Are the nurses hot ?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The pain pretty bad right now.  On a scale of 1-10 I want to rip your face off
View Quote
I hope they are giving you something better than Tylenol.  The war on Opioids has hospitals locking access to good stuff down.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I had my left ankle replaced Nov 7 of last year. Apparently most people don't even know this is a thing!

The outside of my foot is still numb from the nerve slicing to get in there and I have a limp caused by a pain that I am sure is the fibula (small leg bone) end rubbing against the joint. My doc says there's clearance but my joint hurts every time I try to step off the left foot.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91672/20181115_160447_jpg-1030284.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I had my left ankle replaced Nov 7 of last year. Apparently most people don't even know this is a thing!

The outside of my foot is still numb from the nerve slicing to get in there and I have a limp caused by a pain that I am sure is the fibula (small leg bone) end rubbing against the joint. My doc says there's clearance but my joint hurts every time I try to step off the left foot.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91672/20181115_160447_jpg-1030284.JPG
Man you ought to pay someone to Go ahead and Annie Wilkes that off into that trash can....at least it's not in a flip flop and sock.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hope it relieves for you soon brother.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#5]
What brand component did the doc go with?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Meh, just walk it off.

Seriously, sounds like a bitch, hope you get past all the pain soon.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I lost my shins in Korea.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All my dunkin is done with donuts
View Quote
Atta boy
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Never heard of ankle replacement.  What does that entail?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#10]
How old and how active are you?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I lost my shins in Korea.
View Quote
That boy ain't right...

(I got that reference)

Speedy recovery...
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#12]
That's when you tell everyone " yeah but you should see the other guy."
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Unfortunately no
View Quote
I'd call bullshit on that and demand it. Fuck pain.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Be thankful that we live in a time where replacement of several joints including ankles is even possible.  It wasn't so many years ago that if you had a bum ankle, knee, hip joint, shoulder, etc, your alternatives were to live with it or you could live with it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#16]
One of my basketball officiating partners had both ankles done when he retired.
Best wishes to your speedy recovery.

By the way he had it done again when the bone around the implants started to degenerate.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Hope you have a speedy recovery, op!
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Well it isn’t being done everywhere.  There are only a handful of surgeons doing it.
Where did you have yours done
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you hit on the "smoking hawt" nurse?

p.s. when you wake back up, she'll not a be a 10 anymore...

dem drugs they give u is gud.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well it isn’t being done everywhere.  There are only a handful of surgeons doing it.
View Quote
This is why I asked what the component manufacturer is. I peddle replacement joints, have been in over 5000 cases. Knees, hips, spine hardware and the odd shoulder. Trauma too. I've never seen the elusive ankle even though they've been around for a long time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I’m sorry man.  What are they going to do for you?
View Quote
I've been back to the doctor twice (once every two months) since then and he keeps wanting me to do physical therapy. It's almost as if he thinks the muscles or tendons are not stretching enough, but it isn't that kind of pain. You can tell the difference.

But back to you; good luck. Everybody's experience varies. I met a woman from MN who was tickled to death with her new ankle. She had it done a year before I did and she could move like normal with no pain. She lifted her foot and rotated it all ways like a champ. So don't take my whining as gospel. You'll be fine!

Oh, get a knee cart (I recommend the outdoor version). It'll save your life until you can put weight on the walking boot.

Speaking of pain, one interesting thing I found out about oxy; as soon as I swallow I start puking it up! Terrible, irresistible heaving of a yellow liquid! They had to give me anti-nausea pills to keep it down. I only took the first 4 and said "F**K this!" Still have the balance. I just gutted the pain out, but truth be told, it wasn't that bad.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Heres a quick video of the STAR implant;

Total Ankle Replacement with STAR implant
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 1:16:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Speedy recovery.

Good luck with PT.

It WILL heal, the pain will subside, you will get to walking, it will seem like slow motion and there will be a lot of changes every day.

Remember, after the pain comes the gain.

That tiny ice pack ain't doin' shit, you want quantity. Do not hesitate to get real pain meds on board and keep them flowin', you'll know when it's time to start cutting back. Do not let them bully you on pain meds.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Are the nurses hot ?
View Quote
One was.  A little Spanish girl.  A real sweetheart too
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hope it relieves for you soon brother.
View Quote
Thanks.  They did a nerve block, and that helped
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What brand component did the doc go with?
View Quote
He didn’t say
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Meh, just walk it off.

Seriously, sounds like a bitch, hope you get past all the pain soon.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
They shave off the end of the end of the bones.  Then they place metal ends of the bone and put a Teflon type material lock in between the leg bones and the foot bones.

That’s my best explanation
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’m 45.  I walk 3mi a day on average.  I’m a scuba diver, a hunter a father, husband, teacher and pastor.  The only way I get a day off is to take a day off.  I’m hoping this helps my pain at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I had never heard of this until today.

I always am in amazement over the medical advances that we have made in just the last 100 years.

If I had been born a century earlier, I would have died twice already.

Best of luck with your ankle.  Hopefully, the pain will ease off for you soon.
View Quote
Thank you!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Be thankful that we live in a time where replacement of several joints including ankles is even possible.  It wasn't so many years ago that if you had a bum ankle, knee, hip joint, shoulder, etc, your alternatives were to live with it or you could live with it.
View Quote
You are exactly right.   When I hurt it 20+ years ago those were the options
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
One of my basketball officiating partners had both ankles done when he retired.
Best wishes to your speedy recovery.

By the way he had it done again when the bone around the implants started to degenerate.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:38:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hope you have a speedy recovery, op!
View Quote
Thank you
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Harrisonburg VA, Dr Chad Moorman
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#35]
@paulthepreacherman  What manufacturer was the implant? I did quite a bit of design work on the Wright Medical ankles.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Have you hit on the "smoking hawt" nurse?

p.s. when you wake back up, she'll not a be a 10 anymore...

dem drugs they give u is gud.
View Quote
No,  she’s a coworker of my wife.  She’s gone now
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've been back to the doctor twice (once every two months) since then and he keeps wanting me to do physical therapy. It's almost as if he thinks the muscles or tendons are not stretching enough, but it isn't that kind of pain. You can tell the difference.

But back to you; good luck. Everybody's experience varies. I met a woman from MN who was tickled to death with her new ankle. She had it done a year before I did and she could move like normal with no pain. She lifted her foot and rotated it all ways like a champ. So don't take my whining as gospel. You'll be fine!

Oh, get a knee cart (I recommend the outdoor version). It'll save your life until you can put weight on the walking boot.

Speaking of pain, one interesting thing I found out about oxy; as soon as I swallow I start puking it up! Terrible, irresistible heaving of a yellow liquid! They had to give me anti-nausea pills to keep it down. I only took the first 4 and said "F**K this!" Still have the balance. I just gutted the pain out, but truth be told, it wasn't that bad.
View Quote
Thanks bro.  I’m praying for like new performance.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Speedy recovery.

Good luck with PT.

It WILL heal, the pain will subside, you will get to walking, it will seem like slow motion and there will be a lot of changes every day.

Remember, after the pain comes the gain.

That tiny ice pack ain't doin' shit, you want quantity. Do not hesitate to get real pain meds on board and keep them flowin', you'll know when it's time to start cutting back. Do not let them bully you on pain meds.
View Quote
Good idea.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@paulthepreacherman  What manufacturer was the implant? I did quite a bit of design work on the Wright Medical ankles.
View Quote
He didn’t say.   I’ll ask and post back
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Two weeks is nothing - I had a triple arthrodesis on my right ankle and was 12 weeks non-weight bearing.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/766/20181126_092219_resized_-_Copy-757272.jpg
View Quote
Wow!!! And I thought I have hardware
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

My new hardware
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Might need this in the future. Broke both of my Talus bones in one shot. Ended up with 15 screws in them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Have you rubbed one out yet?
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Have you rubbed one out yet?
View Quote
No.  That is the farthest thing from my mind
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#46]
@gotigers:

He said it was a Wright Medical brand device, and that it was part of a line that could interchange with further revision devices of the same line.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#47]
I wish you a quick and painless recovery OP. Please take good care.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
@gotigers:

He said it was a Wright Medical brand device, and that it was part of a line that could interchange with further revision devices of the same line.
View Quote
Very cool. Wright Med is here in Memphis. The plant is in Arlington about 10 miles from me.  I worked there 13 years until the company split. I am now with the former knee and hip division that is called Microport Orthopedics. I am in the same building I was in then. Wright engineering moved to Memphis.

Wright makes great implants. They are the leader in ankle implants.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#49]
I’ve had both hips done (glorious surgeries), a shattered scapula (that one hurt) and a full open rotator cuff after a dog mauling).  The rotator cuff post op reset my pain scale to “Im gonna kill you”.

Honestly, surgical pain is just really bad soreness...  you will get better fast.  And tell the nurses you are in pain.  It’s far worse to let it build and get to the point they have to hammer you.  Maintenance is the key. Be well..
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I’m 45.  I walk 3mi a day on average.  I’m a scuba diver, a hunter a father, husband, teacher and pastor.  The only way I get a day off is to take a day off.  I’m hoping this helps my pain at the end of the day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, best of luck.  That is awfully young for an ankle implant, the spacers don’t have a great track record for holding up more than 10-15 years
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top