Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You getting push-button pain relief?  
View Quote
I could sing songs of praise about the morphine pump!
OP, get well soon.
Do what the PT/OT folks say do or you'll regret it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You getting push-button pain relief?  
View Quote
Opioids are the devil, haven't you heard? If they have him iv pain meds, he's guaranteed to become a junkie and wipe out a school bus full of children while driving under the influence of prescription pills.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Very cool. Wright Med is here in Memphis. The plant is in Arlington about 10 miles from me.  I worked there 13 years until the company split. I am now with the former knee and hip division that is called Microport Orthopedics. I am in the same building I was in then. Wright engineering moved to Memphis.

Wright makes great implants. They are the leader in ankle implants.
View Quote
My friend/competitor worked for Wright doing knees and hips here in Southern California then moved on with Microport. I always wondered why but never asked but now it makes sense. I had my own distributorship and peddled different brands, but was also that guy that could be called in to cover any companies cases when they were spread thin. I miss it and may try to get back in. It's been a couple years.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Heres a quick video of the STAR implant;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIgXWgwnuKY
View Quote
Like a dummy, I searched "star implant" and got this.

Shoulda stuck with the video.

Hey OP, hope they don't kick you out too soon. Hospital wanted me outta there 24 hrs after hip replacement.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]

The stuff they can do with 3D modeling and manufacturing is pretty awesome. I'd imagine they use some sort of FEA to balance loading. Between the really good polymers and metals (& metal finishing) it's really astonishing what they can crank out on a near assembly line basis. I'm guessing the cylindrical parts that mate into the milled out slots in the bone are a sintered metal, that the bone will grow into. That's how my hip was (sintered finish, not the same geometry).

Not only is medicine remarkable, but availability is pretty good too. Look at the wait times in the UK. We're truly blessed to have what we have.

OP, if it's like hip replacements, they'll give you a little card to keep in your wallet with details on your new part. You'll have to remember when you go through metal detectors that you'll probably set them off. I tell guards as I approach any metal detector "fake hip" and pat it. They wand me and away I go. I didn't know they had fake ankles and I'd guess some security guards won't either. They'll wand you but keep the card handy just in case.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wish you a quick and painless recovery OP. Please take good care.
View Quote
Thank you, it’s not been painless, but that’s ok
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Very cool. Wright Med is here in Memphis. The plant is in Arlington about 10 miles from me.  I worked there 13 years until the company split. I am now with the former knee and hip division that is called Microport Orthopedics. I am in the same building I was in then. Wright engineering moved to Memphis.

Wright makes great implants. They are the leader in ankle implants.
View Quote
Wow!   Thanks for the encouragement
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Believe me I know how it feels get on your feet as soon as possible
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://footankle.stryker.com/-/media/trauma-and-extremities/foot-and-ankle/images/products/total-ankle-replacements/headers/header_starankle.ashx?h=300&w=760&la=en&hash=EDE1EF3F44D4CB7FC64D8E228F7937444D1452AE

http://totalanklejoint.com/img/star_3.jpg

The stuff they can do with 3D modeling and manufacturing is pretty awesome. I'd imagine they use some sort of FEA to balance loading. Between the really good polymers and metals (& metal finishing) it's really astonishing what they can crank out on a near assembly line basis. I'm guessing the cylindrical parts that mate into the milled out slots in the bone are a sintered metal, that the bone will grow into. That's how my hip was (sintered finish, not the same geometry).

Not only is medicine remarkable, but availability is pretty good too. Look at the wait times in the UK. We're truly blessed to have what we have.

OP, if it's like hip replacements, they'll give you a little card to keep in your wallet with details on your new part. You'll have to remember when you go through metal detectors that you'll probably set them off. I tell guards as I approach any metal detector "fake hip" and pat it. They wand me and away I go. I didn't know they had fake ankles and I'd guess some security guards won't either. They'll wand you but keep the card handy just in case.
View Quote
That’s a lot like the model he showed me.  He also told me about the card.   Up until last year I always set detectors off because of screws in my ankle.  He took them out last December. Then we realized cleaning up the arthritis wasn’t going to be enough so we scheduled the implant.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Believe me I know how it feels get on your feet as soon as possible https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/498772/image-1033939.jpg
View Quote
What happened there?
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What happened there?
View Quote
Motorcycle head on drunk driver when I was 16 in California if I had it to do over I think artificial would have worked out better the two bones are 1
Inch shorter and fused half the lnth. But I've led a full life with it anyway
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Motorcycle head on drunk driver when I was 16 in California if I had it to do over I think artificial would have worked out better the two bones are 1
Inch shorter and fused half the lnth. But I've led a full life with it anyway
View Quote
Good for you!

I’m all for beating the odds
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good for you!

I’m all for beating the odds
View Quote
You will have a good recovery
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#14]
My cousin and fishing buddy had it done two years ago. No more boots for him.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I got the cast off today!!!! . But only to get another one right back on.

I’m glad to get the wound vac off. It was in my way.  Every where I went on my scooter it was clanking around.

Everything I did, it was right beside me.  I almost miss the little guy.  

Seriously, the doc says I’m healing up well, and might be released to PT and a walking boot next Friday!!

Oh and here’s some gnarly pics:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 4:21:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Well at the least they made a nice straight cut, I always wonder about the surgeons skill when I see jagged cuts on knee replacements.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#17]
ouch man best of luck
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 5:17:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I didn't know they could replace your ankle, hope you heal up fast and are good to go
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I had my left ankle replaced Nov 7 of last year. Apparently most people don't even know this is a thing!

The outside of my foot is still numb from the nerve slicing to get in there and I have a limp caused by a pain that I am sure is the fibula (small leg bone) end rubbing against the joint. My doc says there's clearance but my joint hurts every time I try to step off the left foot.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91672/20181115_160447_jpg-1030284.JPG
View Quote
I didn't know it was a thing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well at the least they made a nice straight cut, I always wonder about the surgeons skill when I see jagged cuts on knee replacements.
View Quote
You have a point there. My surgeon says knees are easier than ankles and tend to have less complications
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
ouch man best of luck
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I didn't know it was a thing.
View Quote
Me either until 2 years ago when a friends did it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's the update, I'm weight bearing in a walking book.  My incision isn't healed up yet, so I still use the scooter as too much walking irritates it.

Here's a few pics.  Attachment Attached File

This is what the implant looks like:
Attachment Attached File

This is the X-ray of the implant installed:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice to see your up op ,if they tell you to do pt , do it you will recover quicker and get better results I worked the hell out of my knees and got good results , again wishing you a speedy recovery
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks!  I’m in PT now
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks!  I’m in PT now
View Quote
Bust your ass and give a pretty nurse a compliment for me, luck
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#27]
There are a couple, they are super nice.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I had to get a skin graft this week.  The incision wasn’t healing as fast as my doctor would like so he decided to do a graft.  It’s not the kind that pulls skin from another part of you, but something to do with stem cells.  I have to leave it covered for the week and we will see what happens next week.

As of Friday:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 12:05:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Hope it heals quickly and completely.

Will you have lateral movement and rotation with the replacement? It just looks like it's a hinge.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes.  I have lateral and rotational movement now.   I can’t pull it up as high as I’d like, but mostly because of swelling
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Do they put it in a machine to make it go the full range of motion?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Do you work on your feet or at a desk?  It looks like it is going to be a while yet getting back to work if you have to wear work boots.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#33]
My father used to machine hip joints out of titanium. They were evil looking little things. I am sure they have changed dramatically since his time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Do you work on your feet or at a desk?  It looks like it is going to be a while yet getting back to work if you have to wear work boots.
View Quote
I work on my feet, but don’t wear work boots.  I’ll likely be out of the walking boot next week
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top