BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DS9 was copied from B5, this is quite well established.

Having said that, I'm not sure Jerry Doyle was an alcoholic the whole time.  I saw him in person a few years ago and he did look a bit worn.  So did Tracy Scoggins, yikes.

Stay with the show, it's a masterpiece.
View Quote
Except for the last episode.  In one single episode they screwed the whole series up horribly just to launch another series that was screwed up horribly.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
seriously does noone else like bagna cauda.
View Quote
It has anchovies in it.  You might as make it out of sea water and be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Except for the last episode.  In one single episode they screwed the whole series up horribly just to launch another series that was screwed up horribly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DS9 was copied from B5, this is quite well established.

Having said that, I'm not sure Jerry Doyle was an alcoholic the whole time.  I saw him in person a few years ago and he did look a bit worn.  So did Tracy Scoggins, yikes.

Stay with the show, it's a masterpiece.
The only spin off series was Crusade which was kicked off by Call to Arms one of the movies.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The only spin off series was Crusade which was kicked off by Call to Arms one of the movies.
View Quote
I stand corrected since I thought the movie WAS the series finale.  Great series but a crappy movie that ruined the series by launching another ruined series.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Watch the TV series, then go back  and watch the movies.  The movies contain spoilers.
View Quote
You should watch “The Gathering” before starting the series since it’s the pilot, and sets up some things that are important later in the series.  “In the Beginning” shouldn’t be viewed until partway through the 4th season at least.  Between Seasons 4 and 5, the show moved from PTEN to TBS, and “In the Beginning” was made to get the new TBS viewers up to speed for Season 5, so it has spoilers from the first 4 seasons.

I saw it in real time when it was first on and am enjoying seeing it again.  The CGI effects were cutting edge for the time, but unfortunately seem cheap nowadays.  Love to see it remastered and the effects redone, but with so much CGI, it wouldn’t be cost effective.  They did some remastering on ST:TOS, but it was mostly just a cleaned up Enterprise flying through space and some visual effects, and a very small fraction of the work needing to be done for B5.

Lots of good stuff, but have to say Expanse is a much better show on a number of levels.  B5 has a very interesting storyline and arc, but some of the acting and dialogue seems a bit stilted.  Always thought Season 5 was a waste, even though I was aware back then about what happened between seasons 4 and 5.  If one wants to cut down on how much you have to binge watch, watch through season 4, except skip the last episode of Season 4 and replace it with the last episode of Season 5.

Tried to watch “Crusade”, but never really got into it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:39:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:13:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Can anyone recommend a B5 novel? Are there novels that are cannon after Crusade?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:46:14 AM EDT
[#8]
DS9 rules.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can anyone recommend a B5 novel? Are there novels that are cannon after Crusade?
View Quote
I like the Psi Corps trilogy... fleshes out the origin and Bester
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just finished the series last night... WoW.. I really enjoyed it... Muddling thru season 1 was the ticket...

Now I have to find a new one.... thinking about Deep space 9
View Quote
The movie In the Beginning is good and it covers the Earth-Minbar War.  Third space I think does a good job of showing why Lyta was so fucked up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Just started watching it on Prime. I'm about 5 minutes into the first episode. This looks like a high school film project
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Great show. Watched it back in the 90's when it first came out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One of the best sci-fi shows ever. Great dialogue, great character development.

I really wish JMS would remaster the show and use modern CGI.

It would be really awesome to be able to watch this downstairs on the big plasma with new graphics.
View Quote
If they're going to remaster it, I wish they'd just redo it w/o the threat to cancel at the end of every season.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Warner Brothers probably lost the negatives. They didn't if know they had them when it came time to do the DVDs. Instead they converted PAL into NTSC.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#15]
All Babylon 5 fans should read E. E. Doc Smith 'The History of Civilization : The Lensman Series' books, AKA The Lensman Saga volumes 1 and 2.

Link Posted: 10/25/2018 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just started watching it on Prime. I'm about 5 minutes into the first episode. This looks like a high school film project
View Quote
the version available on Prime is literally copied from the VHF...  Not the original film stock like the some of the DVD sets were.  So... the Prime version will look like poo...
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
the version available on Prime is literally copied from the VHF...  Not the original film stock like the some of the DVD sets were.  So... the Prime version will look like poo...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DVDs weren't copied off the Negatives. They were a conversion from PAL tape to NTSC because Warner Brother was cheap and stupid.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

DVDs weren't copied off the Negatives. They were a conversion from PAL tape to NTSC because Warner Brother was cheap and stupid.
View Quote
I'm aware that one of the DVD set releases was ... but I thought the second release was actually done right.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#19]
My set is the 16:9 version.  Doesn't look like a crappy tape transfer, and it looks like they cropped 4:3 to 16:9.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:50:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't ask where I found these pictures.  I don't remember.

Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Where did you get those pics?  
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Where did you get those pics?  
View Quote
He told you not to ask him....
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:38:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm just past the hippies in the basement and I've got to say, Walter Koenig has shined this entire series.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm just past the hippies in the basement and I've got to say, Walter Koenig has shined this entire series.
View Quote
He's only barely eclipsed by Gul Dukat as a bad guy in a Sci Fi series, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He's only barely eclipsed by Gul Macet as a bad guy in a Sci Fi series, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's only barely eclipsed by Gul Macet as a bad guy in a Sci Fi series, IMO.
I think you meant Gul Dukat
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did.

Same actor, though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I did.

Same actor, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did.

Same actor, though.
True...Marc Alaimo
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#28]
The "moon-faced assassin of joy" was a VERY underrated character.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Londo got the best lines.
View Quote
Some of them, sure, but don't discount J'Kar.

Some of the deepest dialogue in the show came from him.

Both were cast superbly.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Both were cast superbly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both were cast superbly.
Without a doubt.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scorpius.

He's ALMOST more "Darth Vader" then Darth Vader.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:21:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Why was there no closure with the Drakhs?  
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:36:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Both were cast superbly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both were cast superbly.
The conflict/ relationship between Londo and G’Kar was one of the best of the series......
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Why was there no closure with the Drakhs?  
View Quote
Big bad for the next series...

Crusade... which sadly got micro managed by TNT and finally canceled when TNT told JMS to sex it up and JMS refused.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:43:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Both were cast superbly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both were cast superbly.
We just watched the episode they were stuck in the elevator together.

"No."

Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:46:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Scorpius.

He's ALMOST more "Darth Vader" then Darth Vader.
View Quote
Eh. His transition to a fugitive changed that, IMO.

Dukat was terrible and terrifying from the get go till the end of the series.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:54:07 AM EDT
[#37]
HAHAH

I'm also watching Babylon 5 for the first time!!

On S1 E18 so far
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 3:54:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Damn Sierra cancelled the B5 game in the late 90s that would have been the best space simulator of it's time. Numerous groups have made freeware games since, the best being one called I've Found Her.
View Quote
I was extremely disappeaved when Sierra canned that game.   They'd been bought by a French conglomerate, Havas Entettainment, that didn't understand the show & ordered it shuttered.  Sad, too.  There was also a lot of footage filmed using the show's cast specifically for the game's story.  But there's more bad news...

JMS was openly talking about a series reboot or continuation a few yrs back, but FF to today, & WB, which owns the TV rights, is sitting on the IP & won't let anyone else touch it, either.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:32:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Babylon 5 - One moment of perfect beauty
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:44:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I was extremely disappeaved when Sierra canned that game.   They'd been bought by a French conglomerate, Havas Entettainment, that didn't understand the show & ordered it shuttered.  Sad, too.  There was also a lot of footage filmed using the show's cast specifically for the game's story.  But there's more bad news...

JMS was openly talking about a series reboot or continuation a few yrs back, but FF to today, & WB, which owns the TV rights, is sitting on the IP & won't let anyone else touch it, either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn Sierra cancelled the B5 game in the late 90s that would have been the best space simulator of it's time. Numerous groups have made freeware games since, the best being one called I've Found Her.

Alot of content in Stellaris pays homage to B5. I've played through as a human psychic xenophobe empire before... amazing depth.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:48:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was so bummed when sierra canceled the Starfury game
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The conflict/ relationship between Londo and G’Kar was one of the best of the series......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both were cast superbly.
This, plus the guilt that Londo shows later.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Man, I really need to rewatch this series.  I completely forgot that Walter Koenig was Bester, although I was little when the show was on so it'll pretty much all be new to me.

Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Just FYI Patricia Tallman (Lyta) is in other things.  She's been a stunt woman for a while.  She's in Jurassic Park.

At the end of the movie when the T-rex bones fall on Ellie... That's Patricia Tallman.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just FYI Patricia Tallman (Lyta) is in other things.  She's been a stunt woman for a while.  She's in Jurassic Park.

At the end of the movie when the T-rex bones fall on Ellie... That's Patricia Tallman.
View Quote
I think she was Gates McFadden's stunt double, too.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She was also in the 80s reboot of Night of the Living Dead

She also made an appearance in Star Trek Voyager
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top