Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page
9/27/2026 4:30:53 PM EDT
The Terran Federation did absolutely nothing wrong, not in the book nor in the film. Restriction of the sovereign franchise is right, and it is good. People and species have the right to use force to protect themselves, and to prevent reasonably foreseeable attacks against them.

Would you like to know more?

The Politics of Starship Troopers
I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers.
9/27/2026 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#1]

9/27/2026 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It's an ugly planet.
It's a bug planet.
9/27/2026 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quote History
Originally Posted By mrmissem:
It's an ugly planet.
It's a bug planet.
View Quote

You repeat yourself.
I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers.
9/27/2026 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ELittlefield:

You repeat yourself.
View Quote

So did he.
9/27/2026 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Dina
9/27/2026 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#6]
9/27/2026 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quote History
Originally Posted By XJ:
Dina
View Quote

OP failed by not posting a picture first thing
“That’s not how it works. You buy more tools and power than you need and as you fuck everything up you gain the knowledge to become a better carpenter.”

Tveddy
9/27/2026 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Great book, was horribly disappointed when I saw the movie.
No matter how much you hate the media, it's never enough.
9/27/2026 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Originally Posted By XJ:
Dina
View Quote

There are two lessons to be learned by every young man. One, is to read Starship Troopers and embrace its message of personal responsibility, authority, and civic virtue.

The second is to watch the film and realize that the 10 keeping you at arm's length is not the one you want when there's a 7 eager to jump in your bed.
I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers.
9/27/2026 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Something about 'Service guarantees Citizenship'.
9/27/2026 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Diz died on the way up.
9/27/2026 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quote History
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:
Diz died on the way up.
View Quote

Flores.
I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers.
9/27/2026 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ELittlefield:

There are two lessons to be learned by every young man. One, is to read Starship Troopers and embrace its message of personal responsibility, authority, and civic virtue.

The second is to watch the film and realize that the 10 keeping you at arm's length is not the one you want when there's a 7 eager to jump in your bed.
View Quote


The other lesson is that a 7 that's wearing casual clothing and makeup (or a low-effort uniform) probably cleans up to a 9 or 10 with very little effort.

Dina is still hot AF.
9/27/2026 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quote History
Originally Posted By McGuy:
Great book, was horribly disappointed when I saw the movie.
View Quote
It was a very odd adoption of the novel, that's for sure.

Can you believe the movie is almost 30 years old? I saw it in the theater back in the day.
9/27/2026 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Dina has aged more gracefully than me
9/27/2026 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Watched it several times, enjoyed it even though I had read the book.
HINT: The DVD is much better, especially the shower and tent sequences.
"...Capitalism...shares its blessings unequally; ...Socialism...shares its miseries equally."
Winston Churchill
9/27/2026 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I endorse this statement:

Starship Troopers - Sky Marshal's declaration of war
9/27/2026 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quote History
Originally Posted By SSG-69:
I endorse this statement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tznDkB-rM8
View Quote

It is an objectively correct declaration.
I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers.
9/27/2026 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#19]
The Buenos Aires meteor strike was a false-flag.
I'd buy that for a dollar!
9/27/2026 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quote History
Originally Posted By spork:
The Buenos Aires meteor strike was a false-flag.
View Quote

Sounds like something a Bugger would say.
I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers.
9/27/2026 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#21]
i'd lick hot sauce off those fried eggs nailed to the wall
9/27/2026 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:
OP failed by not posting a picture first thing
View Quote
I'll save the thread.

Attached File
9/27/2026 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quote History
I'll be in my bunk.
9/27/2026 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Paul Verhoeven satirizing and mocking the fascism and militarism he saw growing up as a child in occupied Netherlands only to see some embracing it.  

Quote History
Originally Posted By spork:
The Buenos Aires meteor strike was a false-flag.
View Quote


Supposedly, Carmen accidentally started the war when she diverted her ship around the debris and ended up hitting the asteroid, which became the asteroid that hit Buenos Aires and started the war.
9/27/2026 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quote History
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
Paul Verhoeven satirizing and mocking the fascism and militarism he saw growing up as a child in occupied Netherlands only to see some embracing it.  



Supposedly, Carmen accidentally started the war when she diverted her ship around the debris and ended up hitting the asteroid, which became the asteroid that hit Buenos Aires and started the war.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
Paul Verhoeven satirizing and mocking the fascism and militarism he saw growing up as a child in occupied Netherlands only to see some embracing it.  

Originally Posted By spork:
The Buenos Aires meteor strike was a false-flag.


Supposedly, Carmen accidentally started the war when she diverted her ship around the debris and ended up hitting the asteroid, which became the asteroid that hit Buenos Aires and started the war.

Bugger detected. Opinion rejected.
I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers.
9/27/2026 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Huh.  I was just visiting my brother and my 19 y/o nephew was watching ST.

He said something (very positive) about Denise Richards and I told him to be careful—she was married to Charlie Sheen.


He said “SHE married HIM???  That guy is like a real life Glen Quagmire!”




9/27/2026 6:08:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PCB66][Edited] [#27]
Quote History
Originally Posted By McGuy:
Great book, was horribly disappointed when I saw the movie.
View Quote



As a Boomer I read the book when it first came out.  I have read every book Heinlein ever wrote.  Several of them when first published.   I have a copy of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress that Heinlein autographed for me when I had the good fortune of sitting next to him on an airplane in April of 1970.

It was a book about duty.  Johnny Rico learning what it was to earn his citizenship by having to actually sacrifice.

A movie could have never conveyed the same idea as the book.

I was not disappointed in the movie.  It was not the same story as the book but it was entertaining.  I even enjoyed the boobies that were not in the book.  Actually very well done for a 1990s SF movie.
9/27/2026 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ELittlefield:

Sounds like something a Bugger would say.
View Quote



A "Never Federation".  Like our "Never Trump" are today.  Traitors.
9/27/2026 6:12:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zaphar][Edited] [#29]
Starship Troopers (1988) English Sub 4K

I wasn't aware that the Japanese did an adaptation of it. Haven't watched it yet, just thought it was interesting because I never heard of it, it's from 1988. There was some sort of 3D animated series I watched probably more than twenty years ago, so probably from the early 2000s.
The live-action move from the 90s doesn't touch on many things in the book like the skinnies, powersuits, gassing the bug holes, etc. but it's been a long time since I've read the book.
9/27/2026 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Co-ed showers would mean no female would ever deploy for more than a month....
9/27/2026 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#31]
When a guard called Napoleon "the greatest soldier who ever lived," the trooper dismissively asked, "So, where were his drops?"
9/27/2026 6:24:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PieterCoetzee][Edited] [#32]
Its one of the books every guy i knew in the ARMY read.  Once an Eagle was another.  There was another but I leave that for you to guess about.

I suggested on another site that maybe service should be required for citizenship and voting.  Judas you should have seen the uproar.  I even added that service could include working as a Firefighter or Volunteer fire fighter or Police or teaching in a Public School or working for a local, state, or federal government BUT the "I was born here crowd" freaked out  I even added the original requirement for voting was owning property and being a tenant on someones property didnt count.

Yes I liked the book better (who didnt); but the movies, even the later animated versions were good BUT you had to be into the franchise

Michael Ironsides was a great pic to play the teacher and Platoon Leader.

Yes I thought DIZ was hotter than Carmen who it turns out was a cock tease
9/27/2026 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By seek2:


The other lesson is that a 7 that's wearing casual clothing and makeup (or a low-effort uniform) probably cleans up to a 9 or 10 with very little effort.

Dina is still hot AF.
View Quote
While I agree with the sentiment here, Dizzy is way hotter than Carmen for alot of the reasons mentioned. Dizzy all day long.
GD stands in front of the majesty of the universe and tells dick jokes. - Prime
9/27/2026 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ELittlefield:

There are two lessons to be learned by every young man. One, is to read Starship Troopers and embrace its message of personal responsibility, authority, and civic virtue.

The second is to watch the film and realize that the 10 keeping you at arm's length is not the one you want when there's a 7 eager to jump in your bed.
View Quote



So very true.
9/27/2026 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quote History
Originally Posted By tacocat:
When a guard called Napoleon "the greatest soldier who ever lived," the trooper dismissively asked, "So, where were his drops?"
View Quote

Monsieur does not know?
I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers.
9/27/2026 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quote History
Originally Posted By McGuy:
Great book, was horribly disappointed when I saw the movie.
View Quote

They are doing another movie that will follow the book its been green lighted  but no release date yet
The guy that did District 9 is doing it
9/27/2026 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ELittlefield:

There are two lessons to be learned by every young man. One, is to read Starship Troopers and embrace its message of personal responsibility, authority, and civic virtue.

The second is to watch the film and realize that the 10 keeping you at arm's length is not the one you want when there's a 7 eager to jump in your bed.
View Quote

Attached File
9/27/2026 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quote History
Originally Posted By guyknight:

They are doing another movie that will follow the book its been green lighted  but no release date yet
The guy that did District 9 is doing it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By guyknight:
Originally Posted By McGuy:
Great book, was horribly disappointed when I saw the movie.

They are doing another movie that will follow the book its been green lighted  but no release date yet
The guy that did District 9 is doing it


So, we will once again be horribly disappointed, but in a new and visually stunning way?
9/27/2026 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ELittlefield:

Flores.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By ELittlefield:
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:
Diz died on the way up.

Flores.
Came to post this.
9/27/2026 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Dizzy was a dude
9/27/2026 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quote History
Originally Posted By McGuy:
Great book, was horribly disappointed when I saw the movie.
View Quote


The movie lamely "Resembled" the great source materials of their books in the same way "World War Z" or "The Postman".

Great books but pretty shitty movies.

Bigger_Hammer
LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY $H!T...WHAT A RIDE"!!
9/27/2026 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quote History
Originally Posted By guyknight:

They are doing another movie that will follow the book its been green lighted  but no release date yet
The guy that did District 9 is doing it
View Quote


according to the internet, the rumor is 2028.
9/27/2026 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ELittlefield:

There are two lessons to be learned by every young man. One, is to read Starship Troopers and embrace its message of personal responsibility, authority, and civic virtue.

The second is to watch the film and realize that the 10 keeping you at arm's length is not the one you want when there's a 7 eager to jump in your bed.
View Quote


"Never pass up a sure thing" ...

Bigger_ Hammer
LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY $H!T...WHAT A RIDE"!!
9/27/2026 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quote History
Originally Posted By zaphar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScPp1tajyc4
I wasn't aware that the Japanese did an adaptation of it. Haven't watched it yet, just thought it was interesting because I never heard of it, it's from 1988. There was some sort of 3D animated series I watched probably more than twenty years ago, so probably from the early 2000s.
The live-action move from the 90s doesn't touch on many things in the book like the skinnies, powersuits, gassing the bug holes, etc. but it's been a long time since I've read the book.
View Quote


Roughnecks. I have the series on DVD. Pretty good for animation for the time.
Attached File
"Your opinion of me is no concern of mine"
9/27/2026 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:


So, we will once again be horribly disappointed, but in a new and visually stunning way?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:
Originally Posted By guyknight:
Originally Posted By McGuy:
Great book, was horribly disappointed when I saw the movie.

They are doing another movie that will follow the book its been green lighted  but no release date yet
The guy that did District 9 is doing it


So, we will once again be horribly disappointed, but in a new and visually stunning way?

Neill Blomkamp is writing and directing a new Starship Troopers adaptation that will closely follow Robert A. Heinlein’s original 1959 novel rather than the 1997 film’s satirical take.
Overview

Sony’s Columbia Pictures is producing a fresh Starship Troopers movie with Neill Blomkamp at the helm as writer and director, alongside his wife and longtime collaborator Terri Tatchell as producer Fiction HorizonFiction Horizon+2. This project is not a remake of the 1997 Paul Verhoeven film and exists outside the continuity of the previous movies FandomFandom. Instead, it aims to be a faithful adaptation of Heinlein’s novel, focusing on the militaristic society and human-versus-alien conflict without the satirical elements of Verhoeven’s version Fiction HorizonFiction Horizon+2.
Creative Direction

Blomkamp, known for District 9, Elysium, and Chappie, is expected to bring his signature blend of grounded sci-fi and social commentary to the story Fiction HorizonFiction Horizon+1. The new film will explore the Terran Federation, a society run by military veterans where citizenship and political rights are tied to military service, and will depict humans fighting the Arachnids, the giant alien bugs central to Heinlein’s narrative Military.comMilitary.com+1. Unlike the 1997 film, the focus will be on tactical realism, military strategy, and the original novel’s themes, rather than over-the-top satire or campy action Military.comMilitary.com.
Plot and Characters

While exact plot details remain under wraps, the story is expected to follow Johnny Rico and the Mobile Infantry as they battle alien threats, reflecting the book’s military and philosophical elements Fiction HorizonFiction Horizon+2. The film will likely update the depiction of weapons, tactics, and the Mobile Infantry’s operations to be more realistic and strategic compared to the 1997 adaptation Military.comMilitary.com. Other characters from the novel, such as Carmen Ibanez and Dizzy Flores, may appear, but the film will prioritize fidelity to Heinlein’s original story over the previous film’s character changes and romantic subplots Military.comMilitary.com+1.
Production Status

The project was officially announced in March 2025, and Blomkamp’s involvement marks a significant step toward finally realizing a long-discussed reboot of the franchise Fiction HorizonFiction Horizon+1. No official release date has been announced yet, and further plot details are being kept confidential YahooYahoo. Sony’s goal is to create a modern, faithful adaptation that appeals to both fans of the original novel and new audiences.
Context in the Franchise

The Starship Troopers franchise includes the 1997 Verhoeven film, two direct-to-video sequels, and two animated films. Blomkamp’s version is intended to reset the cinematic approach, moving away from the cult satire of the 1997 film and its sequels, and returning to the novel’s military sci-fi roots WikipediaWikipedia+1.
This new adaptation is highly anticipated due to Blomkamp’s reputation for combining action, social commentary, and alien encounters, suggesting a fresh and serious take on Heinlein’s classic story
9/27/2026 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Attached File
9/27/2026 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I think I read the book when I was ten, in the hardcover edition from the public library. We had some social event and I could not put the book down. Still among my favorites. I think I need a hardcover.

9/27/2026 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#48]
The book and movie are great for different reasons.
We're getting close, real close. And now for some more bad news... Ready?
9/27/2026 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:


So, we will once again be horribly disappointed, but in a new and visually stunning way?
View Quote

One can only hope.
9/27/2026 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quote History
Originally Posted By guyknight:

View Quote


Looking forward to seeing how they get the "humanity as one race" part of Heinlein right, but taking it in a way that is somehow woke and anti-human.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page