Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#1]
My 280zx turbo had the digital/analog dash with analog triple gauge cluster.

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Nissan stepped it up a bit with the 300zx

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh man, is it cool to see some love for the C4 on here. I love my 1985 Z51 4+3. Absolutely fantastic sports car. My dad's 86 on the right.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#4]
My 96 crown vic with the handling and performance package had an all digital dash which i liked too.

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought my 1983 Datsun 280zx was cool

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh man, is it cool to see some love for the C4 on here. I love my 1985 Z51 4+3. Absolutely fantastic sports car. My dad's 86 on the right.
https://i.imgur.com/CV80wvH.jpg
View Quote

The 4+3 was a really cool option. I forgot all about that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I had an 86 Renault Encore as my first car.  It ran great, but it had a digital dash and the speedometer didn't work.  It would jump around from 0 to 100 and all around.  I had to estimate my speed by the RPMS and gear I was in.  My dad should have never let me buy it like that.  I totaled it within 3 months, but it didn't have anything to do with speed, actually.

Something like this.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Not many in here have had to troubleshoot the 86 vette electronic dash, supplemental book for the electrical system,vats and general pain to work on, and that electronic climate control system
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Those dashes are VINTAGE digital dashes. Retro is a return to older styles, like the new Challenger dash.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#11]
The ultimate digital dash.....

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#12]
What mountain road were they going down to avg 99 mpg? Cause if that's 9.9 mpg I don't think they had a big enough tank to get that range!
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I remember those days.  They even had aftermarket digital conversion kits for other cars
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not many in here have had to troubleshoot the 86 vette electronic dash, supplemental book for the electrical system,vats and general pain to work on, and that electronic climate control system
View Quote

There should have been an official TSB for the VATS bypass. It was destined to fail on every vehicle. The only question was when.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There should have been an official TSB for the VATS bypass. It was destined to fail on every vehicle. The only question was when.
View Quote

That supplemental book for the electrical system
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I owned a '72 with a 454.
Analog- mechanical tach and oil line fed oil pressure gauge.
View Quote

Different century. Doesn’t count.

Too bad you don’t still have it! Classic.

TC
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mitsubishi Starion had a cool dash.  I'll try to find a pic.
View Quote

Had a 5spd Conquest. The whole interior was nice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#19]
My first car was an '87 Chevy Cavalier Z24 with the digital dash. I thought it was cool as fuck.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#20]

I can't see it there

what was the headroom on those?

I used to fit

in 1989

lol
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#21]

riced out 'Vette.......
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They could run much faster than 85. It was just some kind of federal law that was dreamed up for some reason.
View Quote

Yeah, I had a BMW motorcycle with an 85mph speedo!  
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I can't see it there

what was the headroom on those?

I used to fit

in 1989

lol
View Quote
I am 5'11 and there is miles above my head. You sit very low in them. Head room/leg room is not a problem but if you are very old or fat, getting in and out can be problematic.

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#24]
My first ride, a 1994 Ford Aerostar, had a digital dash...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am 5'11 and there is miles above my head. You sit very low in them. Head room/leg room is not a problem but if you are very old or fat, getting in and out can be problematic.
View Quote

lol

I am old, fat, and 6'5"
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

lol

I am old, fat, and 6'5"
View Quote
Might not be the best choice then.

Speaking of fat, interesting fact, Chevy says the total weight limit is 400lbs. Including all passengers and cargo.  The weight limit on the rear cargo deck (under the glass hatch) is 100lbs.

So if you max out the cargo limit and have a pax, both them and you must be 150lbs, or less.

I am sure the thing isn't going to fall apart of you go over the limits, probably for performance specs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nissan stepped it up a bit with the 300zx

View Quote

+1 In '94 my 1st car was an '84 300zx turbo.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Speaking of fat, interesting fact, Chevy says the total weight limit is 400lbs. Including all passengers and cargo.  The weight limit on the rear cargo deck (under the glass hatch) is 100lbs.

So if you max out the cargo limit and have a pax, both them and you must be 150lbs, or less.

I am sure the thing isn't going to fall apart of you go over the limits, probably for performance specs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I am old, fat, and 6'5"

lol

well

my college ol buddy that was 6'4 290, and me back then at 6'5 310 broke the hell out of that rule and tore ass around in his with lots of fun times

amazing we are alive to this day

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

VATs sucked ass.  

The old climate control was also a pita.  IIRC I most commonly found the control head to have a fried component or two in them.

In my Eldorado the damn climate control always caused a battery drain. Until I opened it up and replaced a transistor and some other components in it.

Oh and my Eldorado had a digi dash.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Top speed 85?

Did that have to do with lawyers thinking that 30mph over the national 55 limit was a criminal act, or was there some reason that the car was incapable of exceeding 85? ECU Speed limiter?
View Quote

You are showing your young age.  For nearly two decades cars were mandated by law to have a the speedometer show a max of 85.  The cars could go faster.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

VATs sucked ass.  

The old climate control was also a pita.  IIRC I most commonly found the control head to have a fried component or two in them.

In my Eldorado the damn climate control always caused a battery drain. Until I opened it up and replaced a transistor and some other components in it.

View Quote
The VATS problem will get all of them given enough time.  The easy fix is to use a multimeter to read the resistance on your key, then just solder in a set of resistors that equal the same ohm, to trick VATS into thinking it that always has the correct values.

It's a simple and reliable fix, I really need to do mine before it leaves me stranded.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Analog for me
View Quote
Ditto.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#33]
One more tip for people looking to buy one maybe and current owners.  Never, ever, use acid based engine or wheel cleaner on them.

The suspension is a two traverse springs, one in the front and one in back, going across the car from one wheel to the other.  Not the normal leaf or coil springs on each wheel.

The spring is a composite, not metal, that is supposed to never wear out and always retain it's shape.  The down side is that they are susceptible to things like acid, which will cause the composite to de laminate and come apart in layers.

Someone decided to clean up my engine before I bought it and while it looks great, it caused this problem and I had a hell of a time finding a good new (used) front spring.  The last mold for the fronts was literally broken some years ago and the market isn't really there yet, for anyone to sink the cost into making a new mold.

You can buy new rear springs all day long, but you will run into problems trying to find a new front spring.  Used is the only real option right now and there are several spring codes for each year, depending on the car and options. I ended up finding a good and correct spring replacement for mine, via the internet, in a fella's barn in Pennsylvania.

If you want to get away from the stock setup, coil over conversion kits do exist.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You are showing your young age.  For nearly two decades cars were mandated by law to have a the speedometer show a max of 85.  The cars could go faster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Top speed 85?

Did that have to do with lawyers thinking that 30mph over the national 55 limit was a criminal act, or was there some reason that the car was incapable of exceeding 85? ECU Speed limiter?

Yeah, none of the cars were governed. They would max out the speedometer, and you had no idea how fast you were really going once you passed 85.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#35]
85 Camaro Berlinetta verticals tape deck for the win.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah, none of the cars were governed. They would max out the speedometer, and you had no idea how fast you were really going once you passed 85.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Top speed 85?

My '83 280zx turbo with the digital dash stopped at 85mph lol. I would have to record the RPM's to figure out how fast I was really going later when I was doing some interstate runs. ^_^
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#37]
The Trueno hachi roku was neat as well

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Buick Reatta dash for the win

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Not really retro.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No, they were gone by the end of the decade. In 1989 all of the performance F body variants got 140 mph speedometers.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61196/20200801_092230_jpg-1528347.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61196/20200801_092300_jpg-1528348.JPG

Imo the cars of that period that received digital clusters were compensating for something. The 'not fucking around' cars received standard speedometers.
View Quote

They'd burry that 140 too (Surprisingly.) I had an 87 Formula.  I remember it would piss me off because you could only go 3/4 throttle in 4th gear or it would shift into 3rd and it took forever to get from 120 to 140.

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For 80's digital dashes I prefer the ones in the Trans Am GTA's.

https://preview.redd.it/zenjxzarapl31.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=98cc09fdf57b7942ae935b297323e28b26e089fe

But I am biased, as I like the 3rd gen TA's. That said, hard pass on actually owning one, those things are a nightmare to keep working right.
View Quote

I had an 88 GTA with the digital dash.  It was sweet
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The VATS problem will get all of them given enough time.  The easy fix is to use a multimeter to read the resistance on your key, then just solder in a set of resistors that equal the same ohm, to trick VATS into thinking it that always has the correct values.
It's a simple and reliable fix, I really need to do mine before it leaves me stranded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
VATs sucked ass.

When the car was new, the VATs had a recall issued for it. I never had a problem with it
up until that point in time. Once they did the recall, I had the problem that the recall was
supposed to fix. I took it back to the garage, and they performed the fix. Then I had the
same problem again! Another trip to the garage to fix the problem, and it hasn't been an
issue since then.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Citroen had the best 80s dashes whether digital

Or analog

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

When the car was new, the VATs had a recall issued for it. I never had a problem with it
up until that point in time. Once they did the recall, I had the problem that the recall was
supposed to fix. I took it back to the garage, and they performed the fix. Then I had the
same problem again! Another trip to the garage to fix the problem, and it hasn't been an
issue since then.
View Quote
Gotta love recalls .

Yeah the issue that most run into now is that the ignition gets "sloppy" over the years and the contact on the key doesn't make contact with the switch in the ignition housing.  A failed read on the ohms from the key makes the VATS system lock you out from trying again for 10 minutes, with every start attempt.  

Mine only has 22K miles on it so I haven't run into it yet but, it's only a matter of time.  It's easy to prevent by just putting the correct resistor inline to trick VATS, but most put it off until it leaves them stranded and cursing for 2 hours.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VATs sucked ass.  

Guy that worked for us had his mom’s key shit out miles away leaving her stranded. He told me he needed to go get her so I asked what was up. He said he had to go tow her car home & she needed a new key.

I said I’ll go with him, but we need to stop at radio shack. He asked why & I said to pick up a potentiometer to get her car started.

He looked at me like I was crazy. I grabbed a few tools & said I’ll explain on the way.

She drove the car a few more years without an issue.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Anything digital is not retro.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I  did this on my Camaro
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#49]

That's about a queer as a $3 bill...

Not only does it have fuckboi stance wheels, but he's also got a manual shifter boot covering an automatic shifter, and he's wearing driving gloves (lol) on a pavement princess that has had all it's performance (whatever is left by today's standards) neutered by the wheel/tire combination.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No dash

Retooling for new Vette because GM sucks at lean.

So no Vette that year.

My dad had an 84 with that dash. It reminded me of the IndyCar dash of the era.
View Quote

ThatsTheJoke.jpg
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top