BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Start with a dual sport as mentioned earlier. I ride on road as little as possible and mainly to traverse to different trails. A R1250 GSA is in the plans for the very near future for some Bdr rides.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've only had three in my lifetime and loved them all.  I had to give it up.  Too many close calls.  I'm old now and my bones don't heal as quickly as they once did.  Everyone I know who rides, can show you a scar somewhere on their body.  

Used '73 Kawasaki 350, bought in '75 until it was stolen in '76.
Used '90 Honda Shadow 1100, bought in '93.  Sold it about 5 years later.
Used '48 Indian Chief, bought in '12.  Did a 14 month restoration finished in '13.  Sold it last year.  That was a fun project.  Before and after pic below.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109109/100_0568_JPG-2277617.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109109/100_0830_JPG-2277619.JPG
View Quote

I don't know if I could have sold that Indian. Owning a late 40's Chief is a dream of mine.

I do have a 2014 Chief Vintage.... love the old classic lines. To me, the most beautiful bikes ever created.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I rode my 2-fiddy dual sport on a 7200 mile trip.  It didn't suck.  It was the complete opposite of sucking.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Ninja 650 or SV 650 are some of the best starter bikes out there. They have enough power to keep you from getting bored.

I'd avoid the 250-300 class bikes, they are pretty weak and you'll be wanting more very shortly.

Good riding gear made from dead cows and a good helmet are a must. They've saved my life a couple times.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#8]
This thread is riddled with an interesting phenomena…risk aversion.

This is an interesting topic in that it doesn’t really reflect a persons manhood or how brave they really are but it is still something that we all deal with. Some people are more risk averse than others and as well I have noticed that it will often increase as we get older.

I think that people build scenarios in their head to help them deal with this at times and I will explain what I mean.

I have been riding for 26 years. I honestly don’t think it is anymore dangerous today than it was then. Despite all of the complaints of distracted drivers? But how is that when so many people on here talk about how it’s changed? I truly believe it is that psychological effect that we tell ourselves it’s so much more dangerous.

And I am certainly not immune to it. As I work to get better at going off road I hear people talk about how they only ride dirt bikes because it is safer yet in my mind I am constantly dealing with the concern of being injured off road and don’t think twice about it on the road.

Here is what we know….

40% of wrecks for folks your age, OP involve alcohol. 40% don’t involve another vehicle. Most injuries are to the lower extremities.

Those whacky statistics have to be weighed out against the fact that guys like me who are very responsible and very defensive every time I am on the bike get lumped in with 18 year old idiots doing wheelies at 120 miles an hour in heavy traffic.

But riding has more risks. There is no getting around that. Some folks lose interest in riding and use that risk as a way to smooth some self imposed guilt of not wanting to ride anymore. Some folks just get more averse to that risk. And it is all ok. Just ride for as long as you feel like it.

But basically it boils down to this. There are folks who will never ride, folks who ride very occasionally, and folks who will ride awhile before quitting. Then there is another group…those who just can’t help ourselves but ride. We aren’t tougher or more manly. It’s more like poison ivy. We just can’t stop scratching.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#9]
A harley is a terrible choice for a first bike.
Very expensive and too heavy.
Good on you for thinking of courses immediately. I didn't do any until 6 months after I had been commuting on mine, nor did I have a license for it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#11]
MSF course is the way to go.  I did mine after riding for years anyway and it was still good.  I did the 4 day version.  Four hours classroom time on Thursday and Friday, then 4 hours of riding time in Saturday and Sunday.  Pretty sure that's how it was.  

Be honest with yourself and what you want out of it.  I just traded bikes after buying the previous one new last year.  I had a similar bike 20 years ago and remembered how much fun I had on it.  I didn't account for being 20 years older with different priorities so I traded it for something more suitable.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#12]
18 year motorcycle coach here...  Some suggestions:

1) Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course FIRST

2) Do not buy a bike until completing the above FIRST.  Any bike you buy now probably won't be the right bike.  You have a better chance of getting an appropriate bike after taking the class

3) If you buy a bike, do not spend tons on a first bike. Many new riders run out and buy a new, expensive bike.  Two years later they realize its $379/month for something they rarely use.  It goes up for sale at a big loss.  Instead, go buy an inexpensive used $3000-4000 bike.  Its not your dream bike.  But run it for a year or two until you figure how much you REALLY ride.  After two years if you ride all the time, go buy a dream bike.  If you ride twice a summer (many do), your cheap used bike is already paid for...

4) Buy good gear

5) If you ride, and enjoy it, SERIOUSLY consider intermediate and advance courses.  No one takes them.  But they are SOOOOOO very worthwhile......
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Take the MSF class first. Most provide low displacement bike to use and allow you to get your endorsement on your driver license.
View Quote

This advice is best. Love MCs since I first rode at 10 now 53. I will never give it up.

ETA Also ride with the assumption every other vehicle around will try to kill you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
18 year motorcycle coach here...  Some suggestions:

1) Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course FIRST

2) Do not buy a bike until completing the above FIRST.  Any bike you buy now probably won't be the right bike.  You have a better chance of getting an appropriate bike after taking the class

3) If you buy a bike, do not spend tons on a first bike. Many new riders run out and buy a new, expensive bike.  Two years later they realize its $379/month for something they rarely use.  It goes up for sale at a big loss.  Instead, go buy an inexpensive used $3000-4000 bike.  Its not your dream bike.  But run it for a year or two until you figure how much you REALLY ride.  After two years if you ride all the time, go buy a dream bike.  If you ride twice a summer (many do), your cheap used bike is already paid for...

4) Buy good gear

5) If you ride, and enjoy it, SERIOUSLY consider intermediate and advance courses.  No one takes them.  But they are SOOOOOO very worthwhile......
View Quote

He certainly won't want a Kawasaki Eliminator after taking the course.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#15]
My opinion on the best starter bikes.

Suzuki drz400

Cheap. Reliable. Fun.
And you can swap go fast parts and better off road tires on from the normal/off road DR...

Ducati scrambler

Another nimble and fun bike. And when you whack the exhaust off it has that awesome ducati bark.
Ducati Scrambler 800 Icon 2017 - Specs & Sound (Arrow exhaust)

Harley Sportster 1200

Literally the most bountiful plentiful cheap/affordable bike you can find.
Everyone from boomer to zoomer has one. Parts? Plentiful. There's tons of aftermarket support.
Want cams?
Big bore kit?
Heads?
Pipes?
Handle bars?
Suspension?
Literally you name it, there's factory and aftermarket support for it.
Carbureted, fuel injected, you can find anything for either.
The small block chevy of motorcycles-sportster 1200. You can beat the shit out of them like they owe you money and they'll still fire up and go.
(Unlike my twin cam which got tired and lost compression and a slew of other issues)
They're easy to wrench on too. You have to be an absolute retard if you can't maintain one. Swapping cams in them is simple, just pay attention to the index marks and do it the right way, don't use that adjustable pushrod shit. It's simple to pull a tank and rocker box. Pay attention to pushrods like you would for a Chevy 3.1-3.8 v6 when doing intake gaskets.
Sick Harley Davidson Sportsters Exhaust Fly by's, Pull Away's

How good is a Sportster 1200?

16 Year old riding Harley Wheelies

I had one when I was 17. I bought another one (leftover '21 iron 1200) while I redo my wideglide.
They're fun on twisty backroads.
Browsing Facebook marketplace, craigslist, letgo, I found 15 within a 5 mile radius of where I live for 5k and under, all with around 10-15k miles. There's a few with higher mileage 30k+ for 1500-2k.
For some strange reason, HD shit canned the iron 1200 and still has that fat tire faggotry 48.

Yamaha MT07

These are another fun and nimble bike that's affordable new, clown shoes for used. At least here anyways...

And good God do they bark.

I almost bought one after riding a friend's. Yamaha dealers within a 75 mile radius didn't have them in stock. They had R6s-R1s for days...

Sportster it was. Otherwise... I'd have the MT07 for the back up bike.

Take the basic rider course.
Assume every vehicle on the road is driven by blind deaf and drunk retards.
If there's deer in your area, you'll want loud exhaust.
I've heard the nonsense from elitists with pussy ears. Truth is. I've seen more bike wrecks with deer/due to deer with quiet exhaust/factory exhaust, than I have with straights/drag pipes/good set of vance and hines. In my experience from riding in rural upstate ny (no baffles in that old sportster), deer froze or said NOPE and hauled ass back to the cornfield/swamp/forest they were coming from. I also don't ride like boomers lugging shit around in low RPMs sounding like big foot farting in a trash can, I'd drop it down a gear and wind it out near cornfields/fields/swamp/forest at night. You can have the reaction timing and hand/eye coordination of a fighter pilot. The big brakes, stickiest tires. Deer come out of nowhere and in the blink of an eye especially at night.

When in the country side, pay attention in corners. A feed truck/dump truck may spill gravel/grain in the corner. Don't just hammer down unless you know that road like the back of your hand.
Especially so here in Florida along A1A. Sand blown from the beaches onto pavers in roundabouts(like in Saint Augustine)/on pavement is slick.
Pay attention to expansion joints on bridges and if there's draw bridges with metal grates. Hit that square/straight. Or you'll death wobble/drop it.
Dress for the slide especially if newb.
Tee shirt and shorts aren't where it's at if you drop it...
You don't necessarily need boots, but don't wear fag flops either. I find "riding boots" cumbersome. Timberland roll tops work fine for me. I like to go to bars and night clubs.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is an interesting topic in that it doesn’t really reflect a persons manhood or how brave they really are but it is still something that we all deal with. Some people are more risk averse than others and as well I have noticed that it will often increase as we get older.

I think that people build scenarios in their head to help them deal with this at times and I will explain what I mean.

I have been riding for 26 years. I honestly don’t think it is anymore dangerous today than it was then. Despite all of the complaints of distracted drivers? But how is that when so many people on here talk about how it’s changed? I truly believe it is that psychological effect that we tell ourselves it’s so much more dangerous.

And I am certainly not immune to it. As I work to get better at going off road I hear people talk about how they only ride dirt bikes because it is safer yet in my mind I am constantly dealing with the concern of being injured off road and don’t think twice about it on the road.

Here is what we know….

40% of wrecks for folks your age, OP involve alcohol. 40% don’t involve another vehicle. Most injuries are to the lower extremities.

Those whacky statistics have to be weighed out against the fact that guys like me who are very responsible and very defensive every time I am on the bike get lumped in with 18 year old idiots doing wheelies at 120 miles an hour in heavy traffic.

But riding has more risks. There is no getting around that. Some folks lose interest in riding and use that risk as a way to smooth some self imposed guilt of not wanting to ride anymore. Some folks just get more averse to that risk. And it is all ok. Just ride for as long as you feel like it.

But basically it boils down to this. There are folks who will never ride, folks who ride very occasionally, and folks who will ride awhile before quitting. Then there is another group…those who just can’t help ourselves but ride. We aren’t tougher or more manly. It’s more like poison ivy. We just can’t stop scratching.
View Quote

Well said!

You know yourself, if you want to, and have the responsibility/self control to keep yourself as safe as possible do it!  Lots of good suggestions in this thread.

Riders control outcomes much more than we like to admit.

How Dangerous Are Motorcycles?

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I want to begin riding too. Wife.gov says no-go until our little one gets older.
View Quote

Tell her you're not getting any younger and get one. You're not a dealer technician. There's no prior approval needed before doing anything you want to do.
The bills paid?
Your responsibilities fulfilled?
Who is anyone to tell you regardless of the excuse, what you can and can not do with your money and time?

She can ride the couch at her mother's and misery can enjoy company. Junior can ride with you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I rode all my life until recently.(50s now) . Young and dumb rode crotch rockets like pictured with red bike above. A lot of times in the 80's to 90's no helmet , shorts and sneaks in the summer(except when we went out raging) . I rode year round even in freezing weather - work and school wearing every thing I owned . Now I sold my last bike a few years ago after almost daily near misses by inattentive drivers . The almost dieing out weighed the fun . As I got older /wiser I always wore helmet , gloves etc.. but again every one is on the phone talking or texting . I guess it depends on where you live and type of driving environment. Just arriving at work glad to be alive or so pissed at people who almost killed me is not a good way to start your day. Your body size matters - I loved and owned several FJ , FZ 600 yamahas most 1000 cc bikes were too big for handlebar , seat , foot controls for my 5,7 frame . Sit on or test ride several until you find a good fit or as stated you will sell it soon when you find a good fit. Do not start out with a 1300 Hayabusa or GXer a lot of guys do and get hurt -bad! Good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What you want is a Dual Sport.  There's nothing more fun than a street legal dirt bike.  Unless you want to ride long distance, then they kinda suck unless you buy one of the bigger less dirt bikey ones.

https://i.imgur.com/VBfAND6.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYS1HbLZOmQ

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Longer rides however = pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get a Kawasaki H2 to learn on.  Great learners bike.
View Quote
And turn off all the rider aids so that you can build skills that aren't tainted by rider assists.

Best gear you can afford.  Sit on a bunch of bikes to find one you are comfortable on (avoid being a little guy on a tall bike or a tall guy on a body killing tiny bike).  Start with a bike you'll not feel bad about dropping and that first drop will be at the gas station in front of some hot chicks.  Stay off busy roads.  Hard to explain but hold the throttle in a wrist straight neutral position because if you hold it wrist over the top when you hit a bump you'll get a bunch of unintended throttle.  Look where you want to go because the bike will go where you look - target fixation is a killer.  Riders that target fixate run right into stuff that they could easily have avoided by instead looking where they should go.  There is no such thing as laying the bike down to avoid an accident.  Laying the bike down is an accident.  A laid down bike nowhere near sheds speed as fast as staying upright and hammering both the front and back brake.   70% or so of your braking power is from the front brake.  Nailing the back brake first risks getting the bike squirrelly enough that if you then hit the front brake hard you'll go down - or practice sticking the landing after getting catapulted gracefully off the bike.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Here is what we know….

View Quote

Umm... merica has been urbanizing and consumes smart phones.

With that comes retards that can't go 5 minutes without finger fucking a phone...
Out in the sticks > suburbia and cities.
You get both corners and straight aways with less traffic.

It isnt risk aversion. More like, being realistic...
Here? All you need is a pulse and you get a driver's license.
Also in Florida traffic laws are more like suggestions...
Monday-Sunday residential roads rated 35-40? 60-70. I learned since moving here there's a +20-+30mph over before you get the attention of law enforcement.
You can burn a green light updating social media, despite hand held device use being against the law. Impede the flow of traffic? Pfft.
You can swerve through multiple lanes, not even use a turn signal or check blind spots before switching lanes either.
You don't need ratchet straps for stuff in the bed of the truck/on the trailer. Unsecured load? Pfft... let it blow out the bed, that's what the town buys base model F150s and rams, and hires people for... that and palm fronds.
You can turn into a Plaza, onto a side street, into an HOA, a Walmart etc. You can literally come to a complete stop, without using a turn signal, to take a turn a big rig with a trailer elsewhere in the nation can do at 30... here? Nope. Between the gorilla knuckled retirees the distracted morons etc... everyone has to come to almost a complete stop to make a turn...  

My favorite which I've yet to figure out...

We have half mile long on ramps for 95...
I've established the retards here will do 20-30 ABOVE the Posted speed limit be it main roads or side streets or through residential areas.
These fucks crawl down on ramps and try to merge at 50-60 when traffic on 95 is at 75+ in the slow lane

I thought cityiots and lawngislanders were non driving fucks... Florida takes the cake.
Bonus points if it's a camaro, mustang, challenger, charger, corvette, porsche, (outside ft lauderdale-miami) lambo/maserati/ferrari.
You could literally get a 747 to take off and successfully get airborne with our on ramps...
But the retards with a license have yet to discover that long skinny pedal on the right... it's like, they're afraid of it...

Follow the logic here... they'll piss away millions here, try and raise your property valuez to do road work, road work that involves adding roundabouts and more retarded new Jersey style roads with medians full of maintenance dependent shrubs trees and shit that is an on going cost to the tax payer, while making left turns a thing of myth, you must go a quarter mile+ past your destination, make a u turn, possibly hop over 2 lanes too, to make a right turn into your destination.
The claim is to reduce the speed/complaints of reckless driving and reduce accidents, right...

Here's a novel idea...
You know there's people called law enforcement officers...right? You trained and hired them to write tickets for traffic offenses...

Why not put a couple on those roads where the complaints come from...have them pull over speeders/reckless driving, raise the fines, don't even need to add points to the retards license... just nail them for $200+ per offense. Generate revenue off the stupid, while making the stupid hurt, without having to fuck with my property taxes and make the roads even more shit.
Hell! Make the ticket a commission base for law enforcement. 10%-20% I bet they'd be nailing every non driving fuck burning green lights, incapable of getting to Highway speed on 95, and every 4pot with a fart cannon and bmw swerving across multiple lanes sideswiping others/causing/contributing to pile ups.

I guess that's too much like common sense and logic...
Better to fuck up roads make it like new jersey with Muh medianz and massatwoshitts with Muh roundaboutz (something else too confusing for most here) and use it as an excuse to raise property taxes.
Attachment Attached File

Just enforce the current traffic laws, generate revenue at the retards expense. Problem will be solved in no time. But that's too much like common sense and logic...

Where the sun is bright... the developers/town/city planners? Not so much.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Arlo Guthrie - Motorcycle Song
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Lot's of great advice, thanks everyone!

Trying to be as risk adverse as possible. Defintely want to do this the right way and take the course first. How much gear should I invest in for the class, Jacket/Helmet/Pants/Gloves?

I liked the looks of the Harley 48, but want to be safe as well. Wont seriously look until after completing the course and know for sure it's something I can't live without.  One bike that came up in my research was the Vulcan 900. I'm a bigger guy, and 6'1", so want something that will haul me but also feel comfortable, no sport bikes, etc.

Looking mainly to commute and some 1-2 hour rides in the Summer/Fall.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A harley is a terrible choice for a first bike.
Very expensive and too heavy.
Good on you for thinking of courses immediately. I didn't do any until 6 months after I had been commuting on mine, nor did I have a license for it.
View Quote

You know they make bikes other than cvo geezer glides...right?
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2001-Harley-Davidson-SPORTSTER-5017286931

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2009-Harley-Davidson-SPORTSTER-1200-5019695932

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2006-Harley-Davidson-SPORTSTER-1200-CUSTOM-5019195148

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2012-Harley-Davidson%C2%AE-XL1200N---Sportster%C2%AE-Nightster-5017513484

All 1200s.
All at or below 5k.
Neither expensive or heavy...
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#25]
MSF class to start.

I rode for >10 years for fun and commute. With all the dumbasses stuck to their phones these days, I think my return to two wheels will be dirt only.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's a Harley?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Sort of. It was designed by Porsche because the Harley design engineer died in 1930.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This thread is riddled with an interesting phenomenarisk aversion.

This is an interesting topic in that it doesn't really reflect a persons manhood or how brave they really are but it is still something that we all deal with. Some people are more risk averse than others and as well I have noticed that it will often increase as we get older.

I have been riding for 26 years. I honestly don't think it is anymore dangerous today than it was then. Despite all of the complaints of distracted drivers? But how is that when so many people on here talk about how it's changed? I truly believe it is that psychological effect that we tell ourselves it's so much more dangerous.

And I am certainly not immune to it. As I work to get better at going off road I hear people talk about how they only ride dirt bikes because it is safer yet in my mind I am constantly dealing with the concern of being injured off road and don't think twice about it on the road.

Here is what we know.

40% of wrecks for folks your age, OP involve alcohol. 40% don't involve another vehicle. Most injuries are to the lower extremities.

But basically it boils down to this. There are folks who will never ride, folks who ride very occasionally, and folks who will ride awhile before quitting. Then there is another groupthose who just can't help ourselves but ride. We aren't tougher or more manly. It's more like poison ivy. We just can't stop scratching.
View Quote

I'm 69.  Got my motorcycle endorsement in March 1969.  I can't imagine not riding.  And riding *ahem* briskly where there is no traffic and good sightlines rather than putting around.  From low traffic two lane mountain roads in WV to wide open sweeper rich deserted two lanes out West.  

On the bike, my age fades away.  It helps that I'm still fairly fit and riding means so much I've changed my diet and started going to the gym in order to extend my riding years.  Did a 4745 mile 13 night out west touristy trip last July.  The first morning after I got back I was ready to spend a couple days getting my gear and bike around and go again.  Around here 4 or 6 hour rides around fun roads south and east of Hillsboro are disappointingly short.  Overnight trips across various WV two lane roads into Virginia for the night take 10~11 hours each way - not enough.    

I want to be like the old guy that rode a BMW year round in my home town.  He went right from his bike to a nursing home when he was in his upper 80s.  He had started falling off at stop signs and traffic lights often not to mention getting lost in our small town.

If the OP has the urge the OP certainly ought to give it a try.  Carefully.  Better than looking back with old person regret at never trying.    
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Kinda... it's a customized V-Rod.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Trying to be as risk adverse as possible. Defintely want to do this the right way and take the course first. How much gear should I invest in for the class, Jacket/Helmet/Pants/Gloves?

I liked the looks of the Harley 48, but want to be safe as well. Wont seriously look until after completing the course and know for sure it's something I can't live without.  One bike that came up in my research was the Vulcan 900. I'm a bigger guy, and 6'1", so want something that will haul me but also feel comfortable, no sport bikes, etc.

View Quote

6'1? Honda grom!

Helmet gloves jeans denim or leather jacket...
Not chicom pleather.
You won't be happy with the 48...that peanut tank is only good for about 2 hours

I'm 6'0.
Unless mini ape hangers or risers with the factory drag bars moved forward some, it feels like being a T-rex...
Depending on how long your arms are, you'll want something that won't have you coiled up, but not fully extended reaching for the sky retarded roadcaptain like...

And it corners wonky with those fat tires. Night and day difference in corners.
Normal skinny sporty carves (I drag pegs and pipes) fat tire sporty floats/borderline plows.

Fat tires don't belong on sportsters.
Geezer glides and fat boys, something you hop on a highway for hours on end, sure.
Something that actually corners? No.

The other ones that are fun: Dyna street bobs, lowrider S, and wide glides. I scored a hell of a deal on mine.
Genuine midlife-crisis-mobile. Dude had neuropathy from the beetus and couldn't hold a bike up anymore. It only had 480 miles on it. He took $6,800 in $100 bills.
I find 103 Dynas anywhere between 9 and 12k 15k+ gets you custom paint/wheels/who knows what cams intake pipes tune and gremlins...
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#31]
You do you,

I’ll stick to flying.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
And turn off all the rider aids so that you can build skills that aren't tainted by rider assists.

Best gear you can afford.  Sit on a bunch of bikes to find one you are comfortable on (avoid being a little guy on a tall bike or a tall guy on a body killing tiny bike).  Start with a bike you'll not feel bad about dropping and that first drop will be at the gas station in front of some hot chicks.  Stay off busy roads.  Hard to explain but hold the throttle in a wrist straight neutral position because if you hold it wrist over the top when you hit a bump you'll get a bunch of unintended throttle.  Look where you want to go because the bike will go where you look - target fixation is a killer.  Riders that target fixate run right into stuff that they could easily have avoided by instead looking where they should go.  There is no such thing as laying the bike down to avoid an accident.  Laying the bike down is an accident.  A laid down bike nowhere near sheds speed as fast as staying upright and hammering both the front and back brake.   70% or so of your braking power is from the front brake.  Nailing the back brake first risks getting the bike squirrelly enough that if you then hit the front brake hard you'll go down - or practice sticking the landing after getting catapulted gracefully off the bike.
View Quote

I went from a Kawasaki 90 Trail (street legal) to an H2 at 16 years old.
It humbled me pretty quick by scaring the shit out of me and making me find out that power does not ask for respect, it demands it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Here is what we know….

View Quote

Well stated, it's the itch that never ends  The newer bikes actually have allot of safety features like abs and traction control that can help, along with better lighting.  Life is meant to be lived.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What you want is a Dual Sport.  There's nothing more fun than a street legal dirt bike.  Unless you want to ride long distance, then they kinda suck unless you buy one of the bigger less dirt bikey ones.

Literally
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Literally
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Literally

I had the Seat Concepts comfort seat on mine and it was still bad.  Better, but still bad.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#36]
a
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm 6"2, I like this for all around street/backroads.  Plus I can haul my laptop, lunch, etc and keep it dry,  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Go take the MSF class first.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ninja 650 or SV 650 are some of the best starter bikes out there. They have enough power to keep you from getting bored.

I'd avoid the 250-300 class bikes, they are pretty weak and you'll be wanting more very shortly.

Good riding gear made from dead cows and a good helmet are a must. They've saved my life a couple times.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just dont
View Quote

At this age, you will kill yourself accidentally and unexpectedly.

Learn to play the guitar or the piano.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It humbled me pretty quick by scaring the shit out of me and making me find out that power does not ask for respect, it demands it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was 16 I bought a 68 Kawasaki 250 Street Scrambler new in 69 - parallel-twin street bike.  A friend had an H1 around 1970 that I rode a few times.  Bought a new 72 H2 at 20.  The H2 was stupid fun in a straight line.  Yank the throttle open at low RPM in second gear and wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, holy shit I'm going over backward!  Never actually did the over backward thing but sure felt like it was going to happen.  The smell of Klotz is the only motor vehicle pollution that not only should be tolerated but should be mandated.

It was a good thing buying a small slow light bike when I was a beginner.  No MSF or any other training in those days.  I'd do stupid shit and be able to muscle the bike around at in-town speeds without dropping it.  Not enough power to get away from you too badly.  

Stock photos.  I had a blue 250 with different bold new graphics.  The H2 I bought was the gold as pictured.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

For just the class I would not stress out too much on gear. You wont be going more than 25 mph, and it is in a protected area with no car threats
It is the one time I would say to focus on comfort over protection.

mechanix style gloves, old combat boots, a thick jacket will all be fine.
Do get a full chin helmet, go to your local bike shop and try a few on.

They have a split face helmet now that opens up, would be really nice for communicating with instructors, watching others without.

At the course you will see people with all sorts of gear and you will start to get a feel for what type of style you want to go with.
Once you know you want to ride start picking up gear. The instructors might have suggestions or discounts.

For a jacket preferably you want leather with padded inserts, if your AO is hot their are mesh options.
For pants there is everything from kevlar jeans to racing leathers.
For gloves alpine star or similar reinforced knuckle gloves.

Anytime you ride anywhere wear all your gear.

If you are considering getting a helmet without a chin guard take a good hard look at this
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#42]
The truck I bought right as the corolla was kicking off turned out to be a good deal. Paid on it a year and re-fi'd and got enough cash I pulled the trigger on this...

Cheapest street glide I could find. I had wanted to work my way back up to one having not ridden in 10+ years, but when I saw this thing come up for sale I couldn't help myself. It does the trick for my 3 mile commute.

I've had to crack the primary for a shift shaft seal, now got to do it again for a stator grommet.

Despite all that, I love it. I'm a truck driver by trade so my head is on a swivel anyhow, and despite my vigilance, I've damn near been ran off the road several times.

Absolutely ready for warmer weather here.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Take the MSF course and allow $1500 in your budget for good gear.

View Quote

$2,000 or more.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

$2,000 or more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$2,000 or more.

I agree that good gear is a priority, but that seems a little high
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

While you are in the dealership drooling on the 48, take a look at the Pan American HD has now. I test rode one last week and I have a feeling there will be one parked beside my RoadGlide in the near future.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Go buy yourself a clapped out FXR. Don’t listen to these boomer fudds, have yourself a blast and pull all the pussy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I agree that good gear is a priority, but that seems a little high
View Quote

LOL
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#48]

You fuckers trying to kill the OP?

This is what he needs.
Very mild mannered and easy to handle.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

$2,000 or more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$2,000 or more.

I almost always buy gear on closeout.  Lots of the gear sellers online have closeout sections.  Some of the larger brick-and-mortar places have a decent closeout section too.  Might not always be my color or style choice but I'm cheap.  The jacket and helmet in my avatar were not on closeout but sure as shit were on sale.  Need to check the return policy in case you'd order the wrong size.

I don't think I'll ever buy another helmet unless it is flip-front.  Flip it up for conversation, cooling at the gas pump, taking a drink on the fly.  I can get the helmet on and off over my glasses.   Early days flip-fronts were a bit fragile but I think they are good to go for impact sturdiness now.   Whatever helmet you get make sure it is fitted properly.  Too big and it might pop off in a crash.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#50]
my cruise missile

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top