Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2022 9:29:10 PM EDT
Landlord has some old payphones, classic chrome touch tone boxes, $200 but doesn't have the key to the cash box.  How do you get a key?

Figure I'll wire it up to an Internet Phone jack for funsies.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
How much are you willing to pay? A good locksmith can take an impression of the keyway and make you one. I don't think it's cheap.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#3]
They seem to be pretty widely available.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#4]
[1340] Why This Payphone Lock Gave Me Trouble…
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe Look here
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#6]
IIRC there's a standard key for the armor box visible on the outside, then a bunch of differently keyed locks for the coin box itself.  When I was looking into a payphone I was just going to buy the armor box key and drill the coin box.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I don’t know, mine came with a key
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That's the T key to take the upper housing off. It still doesn't get you into the coin box.
I worked pay phones for a short time in my GTE days and company security was very stingy with those coin box keys. I still had a set when I retired but I had to sign off on them when I left.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's the T key to take the upper housing off. It still doesn't get you into the coin box.
I worked pay phones for a short time in my GTE days and company security was very stingy with those coin box keys. I still had a set when I retired but I had to sign off on them when I retired.
View Quote

Haha I had no idea. I have only opened it once years ago when I got it, I forgot that mine didn’t even come with a coin box, it’s just empty inside.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I stole mine from work. It was going to be demolished anyway.

They have three keys.

1. T Bar (universal)
2. Cash box
3. Three slot housing key

Key #2 I can't tell you anything about. My phones were decommissioned and the Telephone company pulled the cash boxes and left the locks and keys in the machine. You don't need a cash box to use a phone.

Key #3 is a regional key. All phones in the Bell system were keyed alike by region. These keys can be bought on Ebay occasionally. You need Key #1 and Key#3 to open the phone and mount it on a wall. I have drilled out the housing lock and it was a bitch. If you get a phone, find out where it came from. You may also be able to read the lock through a screw hole on the back of the housing.

The people I've seen selling payphones usually have a bunch of them on hand for a reason. They're cool, but not a lot of folks are looking to shell out money on them. Keys would make a deal much better.

Hooking it up to a POTS line was easy as well. I don't know if a VoIP line will work.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Friend of mine was offered a complete payphone recently and was quoted $500 to rekey the coin box.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Friend of mine was offered a complete payphone recently and was quoted $500 to rekey the coin box.
View Quote

I think I paid $10 for my T-bar and paid under $40 for a replacement lock and key. I can now open all New Jersey payphones.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Also, most payphones were ground start. You may be able to wire around that and the coin switches and use it like a normal phone. VOIP may be another can of worms though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Have one in my rec-room. I have it wired up to a VOIP adapter and programmed the server to have Bart Simpson prank call it every so often. And it makes and receives calls too.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks fellas.  I'll have to do more research.  Think there's plenty of VOIP dial tone adapters I can wire it to, I dunno if the coin lock will work or not.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  Maybe Look here
View Quote

That is the website that I needed.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Also, most payphones were ground start. You may be able to wire around that and the coin switches and use it like a normal phone. VOIP may be another can of worms though.
View Quote

IMO you wire for pots and work from there.

ETA- that being because I already have an installed base of fun old pots phones and already natively support that shit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Patton makes a SIP to POTS adaptor that will do FXO.
I think Asterisk(?) actually has a 5ees payphone emulator plugin

Former boss had one wired into his game room. It took quarters and did the "Please insert Twenty Fiev cents!" bell operator voice perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Have one in my rec-room. I have it wired up to a VOIP adapter and programmed the server to have Bart Simpson prank call it every so often. And it makes and receives calls too.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54122/IMG_20211227_161717-2218851.jpg
View Quote

Dude, that's awesome.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Remember when you could unscrew the lower "talk part" and short it to get a free call?

I have nothing to add to this thread except memories of a happier times.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:23:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:27:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

"programmed the server to have Bart Simpson prank call it every so often"
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  Patton makes a SIP to POTS adaptor that will do FXO.
I think Asterisk(?) actually has a 5ees payphone emulator plugin

Former boss had one wired into his game room. It took quarters and did the "Please insert Twenty Fiev cents!" bell operator voice perfectly.
View Quote

That's pretty cool.  The website linked above has refurbished phones w/ keys & warranty for just over $300, and you can have em programmed for local & long distance.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Remember when you could unscrew the lower "talk part" and short it to get a free call?

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:42:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/187830/2F2BA0BC-9A6D-4026-88C9-CF2B5D043C03_jpe-2408014.JPG

Lol

We had one in front of my Catholic school. That's what we did. Funny... I learn some fun things in Catholic school.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's why we started gluing them on.
We found a phone in a college dorm that had a quarter with a piece of string on it tied to the phone. They would drop the quarter, trip the coin switches, then pull the quarter back out. We pulled the phone out after that.

For some reason I thought of one of these when he said he wanted a pay phone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304469763149?hash=item46e3cfe44d:g:PXsAAOSwQGJibqq1&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA0KQGWXBKIdcYiXRszTN3IhXYHr94mNXzzUy2gnBzyRXWQ428cafFD9szKZ8KS9%2FoI4OPwvnLjB3vkhNke6tolfmIxPYD1PzzJ3MUzaw%2FhRbHTspD4uFC1ICISIoVQE8HwrNaedaTwY3oCTjllFxxP2yCzLUu8bMbnPBDmjUSnUz3LrYlwk6OpoQp46flzxBmAyUDgfHuBiSAgebwghXZJ6xp3MhhmANNkXls2ADX%2FxxYRS3wJzAeEHesTCvZMwtWOjbmU6szFtlPrtMOj%2Bc6cUM%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMgs-z0aZg
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, and then we started ripping the voice modules out of noisy greeting cards, flashing the sound of a quarter dropping (the five nickel tones), and playing it into the handset to simulate dropping coins.  Then y'all grounded the speakers out until the call was placed.  That happened quick too, I was impressed.  

We'd just send the junk that didn't work to friends and family down south though, Southern Bell damn near ran mechanical switches til the turn of the century.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I worked pay phones for a short time in my GTE days and company security was very stingy with those coin box keys. I still had a set when I retired but I had to sign off on them when I left.
View Quote

Won't the t-key get the armor off the coin box too?
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How much are you willing to pay? A good locksmith can take an impression of the keyway and make you one. I don't think it's cheap.
View Quote

A good locksmith would probably just pick it and then recore it
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We found a phone in a college dorm that had a quarter with a piece of string on it tied to the phone. They would drop the quarter, trip the coin switches, then pull the quarter back out. We pulled the phone out after that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304469763149?hash=item46e3cfe44d:g:PXsAAOSwQGJibqq1&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA0KQGWXBKIdcYiXRszTN3IhXYHr94mNXzzUy2gnBzyRXWQ428cafFD9szKZ8KS9%2FoI4OPwvnLjB3vkhNke6tolfmIxPYD1PzzJ3MUzaw%2FhRbHTspD4uFC1ICISIoVQE8HwrNaedaTwY3oCTjllFxxP2yCzLUu8bMbnPBDmjUSnUz3LrYlwk6OpoQp46flzxBmAyUDgfHuBiSAgebwghXZJ6xp3MhhmANNkXls2ADX%2FxxYRS3wJzAeEHesTCvZMwtWOjbmU6szFtlPrtMOj%2Bc6cUM%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMgs-z0aZg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That leashed coin shit really works? Always heard the concept mentioned as a joke but didn't think it would actually work.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Awesome. I think I'd add in some spy code calls too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yep, and then we started ripping the voice modules out of noisy greeting cards, flashing the sound of a quarter dropping (the five nickel tones), and playing it into the handset to simulate dropping coins.  Then y'all grounded the speakers out until the call was placed.  That happened quick too, I was impressed.  

We'd just send the junk that didn't work to friends and family down south though, Southern Bell damn near ran mechanical switches til the turn of the century.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was at Basic Training a few soldiers figured out that you could buy a cheap, low minute  prepaid calling card, make a call, tell the person yoy called to wait a minute, use the same card to make a call on the next phone, hang up the second call, and talk as long as you wanted on your first call. A 15 minute card would last for hours that way.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That is the website that I needed.  Thank you.
View Quote

Yup, payphone.com will have what you need.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#36]
If you put a Portel board in her like a 310 7000 or even better a 7000c I can
program it for you and have it work like a regular payphone.

If you use a 7000c board it does not use any batteries so
it will not lose it programming.

Drilling out a payphone is easy. I have done a few over the years.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Woops..
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Maybe Look here
View Quote

They even have a payphone gunsafe. And the picture shows a TEC9 in it... baller!!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nah.  Might do a rotary though, if I could find a working one.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That leashed coin shit really works? Always heard the concept mentioned as a joke but didn't think it would actually work.
View Quote

The biggest problem was it would get hung up in the coin triggers and they would lose the coin or bend the triggers and it wouldn't take coins anymore. More trouble than it was worth probably.  Slugs were a problem as well as foreign coins. GTE security would place coins in odd spots inside the housing as a test of honesty. They had to be turned in in a special envelope along with the coin box. They were marked with a UV dye so we would use a pair of needle-nose pliers to handle them. They did not mess around when it came to "their" money.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Cannot answer any of OP's questions. But I remember in high school a friend dad worked for a phone company and had a special number you would type in before the number you want to dial and the call was free anywhere and anyphone. We had a great time pranking people on our lunch break. Eventually the school got enough complaints they removed the phone. Oops.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Contact the lock picking lawyer. He can probably tell you how to pick it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Figured I'd post a short video. The soft audio is due to holding the payphone receiver up to the mic. In this video Homer prank calls the phone. Its one of the better ones IMHO but I have about a dozen random prank calls made up of Bart and other characters calling Moe's tavern. I also have various phone numbers used in the Simpsons programmed in to do various things as well as other numbers such as 867-5309. All the scripts wait for the end-user to react and say something before continuing the script.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top