Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2024 11:03:16 AM EDT
If it's a bad Idea to keep my 2 raspberry Pi's inside the enclosure.  I ask since I am told that at least with PETG it off gasses pretty nasty stuff and Im worried that it will gunk up my pi's and kill them.  Also with the heat that this will create would that be a issue for the passively cooled boards?
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#1]
ABS is the one that off gasses.

I'd be more worried about temperatures for the Pi, over the off gassing ABS.  With ABS, you generally want a warm enclosure, which might cause thermal issues with the Pi.  IIRC, above 60*C, the Pi starts thermal limiting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Gasses aren't a concern.

You'll likely be fine if you aren't actively heating. Actively heating and I'd be relocating the pi outside the enclosure.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:57:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bionicmonkey] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scul:
ABS is the one that off gasses.

I'd be more worried about temperatures for the Pi, over the off gassing ABS.  With ABS, you generally want a warm enclosure, which might cause thermal issues with the Pi.  IIRC, above 60*C, the Pi starts thermal limiting.
View Quote

yep.. i keep a thermometer in both enclosures, and the 220x220 ender 5 pro gets up to about 90-100 F stable, the much larger footprint 5 plus (350x350) runs about 110f up to 115f depending on ambient.   That's passively cooled by the print bed, not counting any active heating i might apply also for PC for example.  

Separately i posted a thread a while back about raspi 4 temp graphs from my raspi microcomputer box project -  uncooled, active cooled, or passive heat sink and i'd say it would not be good to run a raspi 4 or above in the enclosure except with an ACTIVE cooling e.g. heat sink with fan.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you saying the RPi's will be in a printer enclosure?  Or they will be in printed cases?

I have 2 RPi 4s in PETG cases with POE hats, no issues.  Also have two RPi 5s in PLA cases with coolers with no issues.  None of the 4 are in the X1C enclosure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top