Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2024 3:04:27 PM EDT
I’m thinking like something that municipality’s use on streets vs the panic buyers scale of economics. Ya dig?  But maybe they both same cost as municipalities are communism and tornado shelters funded by Karen’s with too much dough?
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Concrete septic tank.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a big 60" culvert and bury it deep in the ground with a small entrance door in a concrete reinforced mason brick wall?

The TV show Home Stead Rescue has built a few such storm bunkers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Oddysey23:
I'm thinking like something that municipality's use on streets vs the panic buyers scale of economics. Ya dig?  But maybe they both same cost as municipalities are communism and tornado shelters funded by Karen's with too much dough?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:
Concrete septic tank.
View Quote

My first thought. Upgrade the hatches.

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m thinking like something that municipality’s use on streets vs the panic buyers scale of economics. Ya dig?  But maybe they both same cost as municipalities are communism and tornado shelters funded by Karen’s with too much dough?
View Quote

Can we get a translation please?
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t want to spend a lot of money on something directly for my use, because In life it seems like if you buy stuff exactly for what you plan to use something as it’s very expensive.  And I’m cheap. So I don’t want to spend a lot.

I don’t want to spend a lot on a root cellar/ tornado shelter. So I thought self, there’s probably a cheaper solution. But as I’m not omnipotent (all knowing ) I thought I would
Come to this here Internet forum and ask other folks who have common interests and thoughts and get some ideas, as I’m not the only thrifty on the planet, nor the first guy who has ever used something “off label”
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
It's very hard to follow since your posts have poor sentence structure.  Not trying to be a grammar Nazi but it really makes it hard to understand what you are trying to say.  

Can you post an example or a link to what you are thinking of purchasing?

HERE is a thread that might offer you some ideas/inspiration.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Should someone with such poor grammar and general writing ability be allowed into a tornado shelter? Saying yes is probably what makes me better than 95% of people.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
Should someone with such poor grammar and general writing ability be allowed into a tornado shelter? Saying yes is probably what makes me better than 95% of people.
View Quote

Not sure what you are trying to say here.

Some of us here are trying to help the OP but we aren’t sure what the OP is really getting at or what he/she is particularly interested in building other than a tornado shelter. There is a lot of knowledge and experience here but if we don’t understand what a poster really wants, we can’t help him/her and suggestions we make might be totally useless.

Communication skills are important if you want people to understand you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Paul:
Get a big 60" culvert and bury it deep in the ground with a small entrance door in a concrete reinforced mason brick wall?

The TV show Home Stead Rescue has built a few such storm bunkers.
View Quote

Just be a little more careful than Marty unloading it.
But something along those lines of a big culvert pipe or one of the big ass junction boxes they make for man holes. We had some big ones on campus for telecom conduits we would get down inside and work in.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Oddysey23:  I don’t want to spend a lot of money on something directly for my use, because In life it seems like if you buy stuff exactly for what you plan to use something as it’s very expensive.  And I’m cheap. So I don’t want to spend a lot.

I don’t want to spend a lot on a root cellar/ tornado shelter. So I thought self, there’s probably a cheaper solution. But as I’m not omnipotent (all knowing ) I thought I would
Come to this here Internet forum and ask other folks who have common interests and thoughts and get some ideas, as I’m not the only thrifty on the planet, nor the first guy who has ever used something “off label”
View Quote

Let me see if I can translate.  I speak some GD:

I don't want to spend a lot of money on something directly for my use.  In life it seems like it's very expensive if you buy stuff exactly for what you pan to use it for.  And I'm cheap, so I don't want to spend a lot.

I don't want to spend a lot on a root cellar/tornado shelter, so I thought self, there's probably a cheaper solution.  But as I'm not omniscient I thought I would come to this here internet forum and ask other folks who have common interests and thoughts and get some ideas, as I'm not the only cheapskate on the planet, no the first guy who has ever used something off label.

TLDR:  OP wants to repurpose something cheaper than a tornado shelter as a tornado shelter, as he doesn't want to pay for an expensive tornado shelter.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

Some of us here are trying to help the OP but we aren't sure what the OP is really getting at or what he/she is particularly interested in building other than a tornado shelter. There is a lot of knowledge and experience here but if we don't understand what a poster really wants, we can't help him/her and suggestions we make might be totally useless.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

Some of us here are trying to help the OP but we aren't sure what the OP is really getting at or what he/she is particularly interested in building other than a tornado shelter. There is a lot of knowledge and experience here but if we don't understand what a poster really wants, we can't help him/her and suggestions we make might be totally useless.

It was a joke. I was suggesting that the vast majority of people would read the OP's posts and hope they don't live to reproduce. They would therefore be unwilling to give tornado shelter recommendations.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the OP, but sincerely hope his written communication is of an acceptable style in other settings.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#13]

It was a joke. I was suggesting that the vast majority of people would read the OP's posts and hope they don't live to reproduce. They would therefore be unwilling to give tornado shelter recommendations.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the OP, but sincerely hope his written communication is of an acceptable style in other settings.
View Quote

Ahhh….guess I misunderstood.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#14]

I got you fam.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:23:13 AM EDT
[#15]
OP....

Do you have a concrete structure manufacturer near you ??

Like a place that builds concrete septic tanks, and water structures ??

Visit that place.

Link Posted: 8/31/2024 12:23:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

I don't want to spend a lot of money on something directly for my use.  In life it seems like it's very expensive if you buy stuff exactly for what you pan to use it for.  And I'm cheap, so I don't want to spend a lot.

I don't want to spend a lot on a root cellar/tornado shelter, so I thought self, there's probably a cheaper solution.  But as I'm not omniscient I thought I would come to this here internet forum and ask other folks who have common interests and thoughts and get some ideas, as I'm not the only cheapskate on the planet, no the first guy who has ever used something off label.

TLDR:  OP wants to repurpose something cheaper than a tornado shelter as a tornado shelter, as he doesn't want to pay for an expensive tornado shelter.
View Quote

See!!??? Wasn’t that easy!?

Since I’m so cheap, and on my phone ,( with broken screen ) usually while drivin and in a hirry as I’m about to run out of data coverage or screen functioning I only have a few seconds to try and get my thoughts across.  

The internet is bad for guys who get distracted,  easier than others!?

So, yes, I noticed some big tornado shelter looking square box things on back of a truck past few days and so that got me thinking  i maybe able to purchase  something instead of forming and pouring in place
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#17]

See!!??? Wasn’t that easy!?

Since I’m so cheap, and on my phone ,( with broken screen ) usually while drivin and in a hirry as I’m about to run out of data coverage or screen functioning I only have a few seconds to try and get my thoughts across.  

So, yes, I noticed some big tornado shelter looking square box things on back of a truck past few days and so that got me thinking  i maybe able to purchase  something instead of forming and pouring in place
View Quote

Sounds good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#18]
eight feet of 72" corrugated, galvanized pipe with one endcap, buried with 1 foot above ground
and a spider hole on the other end with a ladder down into the piping, and picks and shovel stored in case you have to dig
your way out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#19]

See!!??? Wasn't that easy!?

Since I'm so cheap, and on my phone ,( with broken screen ) usually while drivin and in a hirry as I'm about to run out of data coverage or screen functioning I only have a few seconds to try and get my thoughts across.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:

See!!??? Wasn't that easy!?

Since I'm so cheap, and on my phone ,( with broken screen ) usually while drivin and in a hirry as I'm about to run out of data coverage or screen functioning I only have a few seconds to try and get my thoughts across.  

No wonder you come across as a moron.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:47:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
eight feet of 72" corrugated, galvanized pipe with one endcap, buried with 1 foot above ground
and a spider hole on the other end with a ladder down into the piping, and picks and shovel stored in case you have to dig
your way out.
View Quote

Ahhhhhhhh very good thoughts!!! I like thst idea a lot

Re driving Merlin, usually speech to text. The corrections where it goes sideways
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top