Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always wondered why they still aged on Star trek, from the first series through the movies as time went on.

You figure if you could beam someone down to a planet and disassemble and reassemble all their molecules via a transporter there would be a way of saving that data.

Then every year just beam back to your former self and never age. Right?
View Quote

The horrific truth of the transporter is that it was a suicide machine. Copy you, destroy you, move your molecules, reassemble you. You are technically vaporized during transport. So when you are reassembled, are you still you?
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#2]
NERDS!
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
NERDS!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Depends on the shields I would assume.  In the Star Trek Universe there are some episodes and movies where its simply a matter of knowing the frequency of the opposing ships shields, I do not know of any time where this has been discussed in star wars in either movies or in any of the non cannon or approved disney series.  I mean all you need is a blind Engineer who uses a filter for visors to see the freqs and plug in the destination and then boom, no more death star or star destroyer.
View Quote

That’s one aspect of ST:Generations that drove me bonkers.  Why would that kind of information be on display in the engineering compartment for everyone to see?
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The TNG era Romulan warbirds were pretty cool.  Massive ship, massive weapons, powered by an artificial black hole.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
The Borg were pretty, ugh, squared away too in their ship design.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Daedalus was fairly bad ass with its f-302 fighter bays. But not star trek.

Not to be confused with the U.S.S. Daedalus that's basically a mini death star on a stick.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And here enters the problem.

In the original series the bird of prey was Romulan.

Edited to add: and apparently they were painted like a Trans Am
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would’ve been happy with a bird of prey.

And here enters the problem.

In the original series the bird of prey was Romulan.

Edited to add: and apparently they were painted like a Trans Am

The lore is that long ago Romulans and Klingons were allies and shared tech and ships.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually, the Crystalline Entity kicks everyone's ass.

Prove me wrong.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same Empire that has troops that cant hit shit with blasters, or rely on a mystic force of midiclorian mutants for power?

Versus a fleet of starships that are all equipped with shields, phaser banks, photon torpedos and just recently got done fighting the war against the Dominion.

Oh and as of Picard have the Borg as Allies.

Yeah, the Empire would get its shit pushed in.
View Quote

The storm troopers were ordered to miss.
Plenty of nerds have calculated the destructive power and star wars wins.
Star wars had shields, too.
Star wars tech was that good "A long time ago..."
And for my final point, Imperial uniforms are cooler and they don't have Wesley Crusher, they win.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The long tube neck connecting the bridge to the rest of the ship is a weak point.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

An old lady killed it, with vibrations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually, the Crystalline Entity kicks everyone's ass. Prove me wrong.

An old lady with a vibrator? Don't remember that part.

Actually, the most dangerous ever was a God like alien who fell in love with an earth girl. He turned himself into a boomer and they became the most powerful elderly couple in the universe.

Then some nasty aliens killed her and in retaliation he wiped out their entire civilization with just his mind.

That episode was "The Survivors."
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No way.  The Romulan ships were painted like a fucking Trans-Am!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285/Rom_Bird-2682736.gif
View Quote

Neutral zone and down...
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#18]
They were all cool back in the day.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The lore is that long ago Romulans and Klingons were allies and shared tech and ships.
View Quote

Not that long ago.  See original series episode 'The Enterprise Incident.'

That story should be expanded into a movie-length script.

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you're going to go there...

Warp Drive is abysmally slow compared to the Empire's Hyper Drive.

Even with inferior firepower, Empire ships are so much faster they could hit-and-run any Star Trek planet before reinforcements could arrive. Star Fleet isn't going to be very effective w/o a logistics base.
View Quote

I thought Hyper Drive was slow as the Millennium Falcon had it, and Han bragged how fast it was. "It'll do .5 past light speed".

Of course Federation ship had those troublesome, prone to failure at critical times, power couplings. Particularly the the starboard one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Actually, the most dangerous ever was a God like alien who fell in love with an earth girl. He turned himself into a boomer and they became the most powerful elderly couple in the universe.

Then some nasty aliens killed her and in retaliation he wiped out their entire civilization with just his mind.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Q was, by far, the most powerful entity.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Actually, the Crystalline Entity kicks everyone's ass.

Prove me wrong.
View Quote

edit: beat
Destroyed by a shrivelled up shrew scratching a chalkboard with her fingernails. Not so bad ass.

I am immensely happy about the Gowron ans Tuvix memes. I love me some good Star Trek memes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I thought Hyper Drive was slow as the Millennium Falcon had it, and Han bragged how fast it was. "It'll do .5 past light speed".

Of course Federation ship had those troublesome, prone to failure at critical times, power couplings. Particularly the the starboard one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're going to go there...

Warp Drive is abysmally slow compared to the Empire's Hyper Drive.

Even with inferior firepower, Empire ships are so much faster they could hit-and-run any Star Trek planet before reinforcements could arrive. Star Fleet isn't going to be very effective w/o a logistics base.

Warp 9 was 99.99 times light speed.  Warp 10 was time travel fast, but was extremely difficult to achieve.  Hyper drive is slow af, an early federation nx series could smoke a star destroyer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Do they have the automatic food maker like the Enterprise

I think not
View Quote

Their food ran around wild on the ship when they wanted something to eat other than Gagh they just killed something
and ate that.
Klingons have a funny moment
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I always thought doing a typical Star Trek series, but from the perspective of a Klingon ship and crew would be fun, preferably a D7. Whatever TOS movie was that was the murder mystery had Klingon officers treated seriously, so it could be done.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Warp 9 was 99.99 times light speed.  Warp 10 was time travel fast, but was extremely difficult to achieve.  Hyper drive is slow af, an early federation nx series could smoke a star destroyer.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

For instance, Warp 9 is more than 1500 times faster than Warp 1 in comparison to the 729 times (nine to the power of 3) calculated using the original cubic formula. In the same author's comment, Okuda explains that the motivation was to fulfill fan expectations that the new Enterprise is much faster than the original, but without changing the warp factor numbers.[21] Between Warp 9 and Warp 10, the new scale grows exponentially.[21] Only in a single episode of Star Trek Voyager there was a specific numerical speed value given for a warp factor.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
No way.  The Romulan ships were painted like a fucking Trans-Am!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285/Rom_Bird-2682736.gif
View Quote

This dude is entirely correct.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif

For instance, Warp 9 is more than 1500 times faster than Warp 1 in comparison to the 729 times (nine to the power of 3) calculated using the original cubic formula. In the same author's comment, Okuda explains that the motivation was to fulfill fan expectations that the new Enterprise is much faster than the original, but without changing the warp factor numbers.[21] Between Warp 9 and Warp 10, the new scale grows exponentially.[21] Only in a single episode of Star Trek Voyager there was a specific numerical speed value given for a warp factor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As for a speed comparison, it was said that Voyager would take 75 years to get home, while Amadala traveled from the front worlds to the core planets in a small freighter in time to be relevant to the war back home.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But Q could be stripped of his powers by their form of congress. Even impeached.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The TNG era Romulan warbirds were pretty cool.  Massive ship, massive weapons, powered by an artificial black hole.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/387169/8723-dbcbf566-3607197256_jpg-2682950.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I like the andorian ship from Enterprise
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember that
That guy was on a few Twilight Zone episodes
The Dowd
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I like the andorian ship from Enterprise
View Quote

The andorians should get their own series.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#38]
The Gowron memes are hilarious
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The Klingon ships were awesome looking, however, Benjamin Sisko's Mother Fucking Pimp Hand was one of the best looking ships. Simple, Clean, made to fuck shit up.
The Enterprise D and E were sexy also.
View Quote

My man!
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Klingon Battle Cruiser approaching.

The good old days.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Can the Star Trek universe suddenly transport through shields?
View Quote

Only sometimes, as already covered.

That said, at least in Trek, Lasers are seen as a complete joke compared to Phasers.  In one TNG episode, as a little ship targets the Enterprise D with lasers, the crew jokes that the lasers wouldn't even penetrate the navigational shields.  They regard lasers in general as really primitive tech.

As opposed to Star Wars, where lasers are everything.  Following that logic, likely a single phaser strike to the shield generator on a star destroyer would rip the thing clean off and take out the shields completely.  The lasers the Star Destroyer was firing would just bounce off a Trek ship's shields without spilling the Captain's cup of tea.

While a ground-generated shield array like that on Endor covering DS 2 was no-doubt stronger, the bunker itself wasn't shielded.  Just beam a torp into that and the shield is down again.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

As for a speed comparison, it was said that Voyager would take 75 years to get home, while Amadala traveled from the front worlds to the core planets in a small freighter in time to be relevant to the war back home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that helps bound warp core speed to distance is in a Voyager episode as well.  Voyager is ordered by the Borg to backtrack into Borg space a distance of 40 light years.  Chakotay, the first officer, remarks that at maximum warp, it would take Voyager 5 days to travel the distance.

Voyager's top speed, apparently, is warp 9.975.  So at that speed, it would cover 8 light years a day.

So, if Voyager could cover 1 light year in one day, that would be 365x the speed of light.  8 light years would be 2920x the speed of light.

I'm not sure how that really compares to Hyperspace speed.

All that said, Hyperspace is really more akin to a transwarp network or a wormhole network.  You have to enter Hyperspace at specific points, which is a bit more wormhole-ish.  In Trek, wormholes and transwarp conduits allow for exponentially faster travel than traditional warp.  Trek ships can enter warp almost anywhere, at any time, excepting situations in which they can't form a warp bubble (usually interference like a dampening field or astronomical phenomenon).  The hyperspace lanes really limit the Star Wars ships by comparison.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

All the Star Trek ship would need to do is to transport a quantum torpedo in to the reactor core of the Death Star and Vader wouldn’t even need to throw his boss down the shaft.  Boom end of the sixth and the Jedi too since vaders Whiny kid gets kaboomed with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the "actual " empire would show up, the curb stomping of the klingons and federation would be epic...

Same Empire that has troops that cant hit shit with blasters, or rely on a mystic force of midiclorian mutants for power?

Versus a fleet of starships that are all equipped with shields, phaser banks, photon torpedos and just recently got done fighting the war against the Dominion.

Oh and as of Picard have the Borg as Allies.

Yeah, the Empire would get its shit pushed in.

Darth Vader and Palpatine would crush them from a distance with the Force

And let’s throw in a Suncrusher or two……..

The Empire can bring the Yuuzhan Vong to bear

All the Star Trek ship would need to do is to transport a quantum torpedo in to the reactor core of the Death Star and Vader wouldn’t even need to throw his boss down the shaft.  Boom end of the sixth and the Jedi too since vaders Whiny kid gets kaboomed with them.

I don't think Federation socialists would be able to do anything against a being that is capable of choking the living hell out of a man from long range..............Vader would kill the whole Bridge with a flick of his wrist

Darth Vader "You have failed me for the last time" - Full Scene HD
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Good find haha.  I couldn't remember the episode.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That said, at least in Trek, Lasers are seen as a complete joke compared to Phasers.  In one TNG episode, as a little ship targets the Enterprise D with lasers, the crew jokes that the lasers wouldn't even penetrate the navigational shields.  They regard lasers in general as really primitive tech.

Good little scene;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLGDKVJlqL0

That was also a small ship with a crew of 26 compared to the Enterprise with a crew of over 1,000 and over 600M long.  Of course that little thing isn't going to put out enough power to bother the shields of that Enterprise.  Now let's look at an Imperial class destroyer at 1,600M long with about 150 turbolasers and ion cannons.

The idea of shields would be to absorb energy, it's kind of silly (well, more silly than this conversation in general ) to discount a weapon type completely when enough of it would still overwhelm the ability of shields to dissipate the energy received.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#48]
It's a bit of  a shame that the best looking Star Trek ships... aren't from Star Trek:

NCC-1650 USS Ares - Axanar

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

In the Empire Strikes Back, remember when the Millenium Falcon left the asteroid field and ended up hiding on the back of an Imperial Star Destroyer?
After a short search, one of the Imperial Officers states if the Falcon had jumped into hyperspace, it could be halfway across the galaxy by then.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That was also a small ship with a crew of 26 compared to the Enterprise with a crew of over 1,000 and over 600M long.  Of course that little thing isn't going to put out enough power to bother the shields of that Enterprise.  Now let's look at an Imperial class destroyer at 1,600M long with about 150 turbolasers and ion cannons.

The idea of shields would be to absorb energy, it's kind of silly (well, more silly than this conversation in general ) to discount a weapon type completely when enough of it would still overwhelm the ability of shields to dissipate the energy received.
View Quote

I know the discussion is entirely pointless haha.  I'm just going off the information available in one series.  SW never talks about anything like phasers, so there's not really basis for comparison.

Star Wars people love to bring up the death star though and how it can destroy planets, as though that's proof of the power of lasers and of SW ship's superiority.  It's a fine argument, but they fail to remember things like the Doomsday Machine which sliced up planets with an antiproton beam and ground them to rubble as sustenance for it's operation.  I will concede, however, that nothing in the Trek universe even approaches the power of the starkiller base weapon.  Even red matter doesn't have that sort of power.

Star Wars' biggest ally is the force, really.  And the sheer volume of ships is monstrous compared to what we know about Trek, imo.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top