BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you're the top of your class and get to choose, why would you pick anything else?
View Quote

Different goals or preferences for some I suppose. Air Force needs at the time you graduate have a bearing too. If there’s not a slot for what you want it may not matter if you’re top.  

I believe there were instances where the Navy sent entire classes to helo or multi-engine because there was a greater need to fill slots in those communities than open pointy nose slots.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I look forward to B-21 CAS.
View Quote

I want to see a gazillion 500 pounders wipe out a couple grid squares.

The jtac who gets that approved -->
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#3]
A-10s are the battleships of the air.

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I look forward to B-21 CAS.

Record Breaking B-52 Strike - 24 Precision Guided Munitions

Although I suspect this one was a deliberate strike rather than XCAS.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]
With Indiana being an interior state. Wouldn’t an A10 be more effective to subdue a situation over an F16? This is national Guard after all
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#6]
More decisions being made by old men who don't understand what the people at the bottom of the pyramid need.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
A-10s needed to be retired 2 decades ago.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
With Indiana being an interior state. Wouldn’t an A10 be more effective to subdue a situation over an F16? This is national Guard after all
View Quote

Indiana would be one of the states from which F-16s would be taking off to intercept Russian bombers over the Arctic, in the event of nuclear war. This decision may be related to Ukraine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Indiana would be one of the states from which F-16s would be taking off to intercept Russian bombers over the Arctic, in the event of nuclear war. This decision may be related to Ukraine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They won't be IOC on F-16s for a couple of years.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Snooze and Trip were both F-16 guys.  Neither flew the A-10 that I'm aware of.

Trip went on to be an F-16 Weapons School grad.

If you listen to the catalog of their songs, you'll note that they're equal-opportunity criticizers and admirers of all the airframes.
View Quote

One of those dudes is the OG at Shaw.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Any military official suggesting to retire A-10s should be fired with prejudice.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The unit in Springfield, OH got drones to replace their F-16's also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah they took our 10’s from the 188th and gave us…drones

It can absolutely be worse than 16’s lol

The unit in Springfield, OH got drones to replace their F-16's also.

Easy for DC to take over a drone to kill its citizens then a pilot who refuses those orders…

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I was in the Illinois Air Guard in Peoria many years ago.  After I left in 1991, the Air Force finally replaced our very outdated and obsolete OA-37's (we were the only unit in the entire USAF to still have them) with F-16's.  After one plane had something go wrong on a cross country flight and the pilot had to bail out, and on another flight 2 hit wings in flight with one crashing and the pilot bailing out (other one landed, the base commander was flying it) the Air Force pulled the base's F-16's and gave them C-130's which is what they still have.  The base commander also stepped down.

F-16's apparently can be a temperamental aircraft and requires a lot of pilot training, the Air Guard does not always get that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I've recently grown fond of the a10 playing it on dcs. The hmcs system is amazing. Look at something either make it a mark point or spi turn in and launch your mavericks, jdams, or laser guided bomb on that one area in no time or give it the brrrrrrrrrrrt

Makes you wonder how advanced the f35 hmcs is. But as far as close air support hard to beat the a10
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was in the Illinois Air Guard in Peoria many years ago.  After I left in 1991, the Air Force finally replaced our very outdated and obsolete OA-37's (we were the only unit in the entire USAF to still have them) with F-16's.  After one plane had something go wrong on a cross country flight and the pilot had to bail out, and on another flight 2 hit wings in flight with one crashing and the pilot bailing out (other one landed, the base commander was flying it) the Air Force pulled the base's F-16's and gave them C-130's which is what they still have.  The base commander also stepped down.

F-16's apparently can be a temperamental aircraft and requires a lot of pilot training, the Air Guard does not always get that.
View Quote

It could be a real challenge for this ANG unit to fly planes that the old hats already have hundreds of hours in.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Sioux City group swapped F-16s for KC-135 several years ago.  The Des Moines unit swapped F-16s for drones some years after that.
View Quote

They got our E's than they got our R's than we got Associated in the ass.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Snooze and Trip were both F-16 guys.  Neither flew the A-10 that I'm aware of.

Trip went on to be an F-16 Weapons School grad.

If you listen to the catalog of their songs, you'll note that they're equal-opportunity criticizers and admirers of all the airframes.
View Quote

Thanks for confirming!   I knew they were definitely F-16 guys, so got my wires crossed on the A-10.   One of the guys at work was an F16 crew chief prior to working with us, and he turned me on to those guys.  Love their stuff!   He said their song "I'm a pilot" was pretty spot on from most of his experiences.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Sioux City group swapped F-16s for KC-135 several years ago.  The Des Moines unit swapped F-16s for drones some years after that.

But at least you get to play with MPRS.  

And SUX went from Vipers to R models.  Not sure who got your old Es.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Flaming a10 wreckage would be falling out of the sky like rain.
View Quote

Russia's Slavshit AA can't even do that reliably to those Turkish piston engine drones.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The only thing you would see would be them getting swatted out of the sky by MiGs and SAMs.

They can't survive in non-permissive environments.
We can get cheaper options for strafing mud huts.
View Quote

Of course they’d need some air superiority and some additional support… I just like the idea of seeing the end results on YouTube…
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that really mean anything? The military never gets shit done in any semblance of timeliness.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Russia's Slavshit AA can't even do that reliably to those Turkish piston engine drones.
View Quote
 lol, do a little research and you will learn why.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Of course they’d need some air superiority and some additional support… I just like the idea of seeing the end results on YouTube…
View Quote

Even in uncontested airspace, A-10s don’t do much that can’t be done better by somebody else. Exceptions being CSAR and FAC-A.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
 lol, do a little research and you will learn why.
View Quote

Ukraine sent a pair of Hinds 50 miles into Russia and blew up an oil depot.  Russia's air defense sucks ass.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But at least you get to play with MPRS.  

And SUX went from Vipers to R models.  Not sure who got your old Es.
View Quote

They converted to E models first.

They got both the E's and R's from the 141ARW.

185th has good article on their website on retiring 57-2606. I would have to look but I think 2606 was with 141st from start in 1974 as a A model than converted to E  (NJ may have got it after that but it eventually came back to 141st in a shuffle ) and finally to a R. Was a good tanker.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Close Air Support is a mission, not a weapon system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Retire the F16.  Keep the Warthog.

Of course, as an 11B, I am always in favor of close air support.  

Who's being supported? They should be the proponent that controls the equipment that goes with the mission.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Even in uncontested airspace, A-10s don’t do much that can’t be done better by somebody else. Exceptions being CSAR and FAC-A.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about columns of stalled vehicles waiting for fuel? A-10s wouldn’t be good for that?  I’d think that would be an a-10 driver’s wet dream.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Doesn't mention what block of F-16 we are talking about.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Who's being supported? They should be the proponent that controls the equipment that goes with the mission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They should set requirements, not direct the solution.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Being a receiver of a service does not make one an expert on execution of that service.

No more than me being a pilot who flies CAS makes me an expert on ground scheme of maneuver.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Weren't the F-16s were taken b/c Bathhouse Barry didn't want ANG to have fighters?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Weren't the F-16s were taken b/c Bathhouse Barry didn't want ANG to have fighters?
View Quote

He did a pretty poor job if that was the plan because there are tons of guard units with fighters.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Retire all of the A-10s.  Every one of them.  Yesterday.

What block Viper would they be getting and how worn out are they?  There's so much politics about keeping a flying unit, even if it is a shitty decision.
Sometimes the answer is to shut down the unit.

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Different goals or preferences for some I suppose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're the top of your class and get to choose, why would you pick anything else?

Different goals or preferences for some I suppose.

I guess homosexuality is a choice.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Do you think we are gonna fight cave people ir near peer
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not just keep it all in house? Let the AF focus on air superiority and sexy fighters.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Being a receiver of a service does not make one an expert on execution of that service.

No more than me being a pilot who flies CAS makes me an expert on ground scheme of maneuver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But wouldn't it help if the pilot at least spoke a little bit of the maneuver language? And wouldn't planning be easier if it's already in house?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Iraq did it pretty well back In 91. Russia is doing it pretty well now. The UAF lost 3 su35s in one day a few weeks ago
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Why not just keep it all in house? Let the AF focus on air superiority and sexy fighters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a different discussion altogether and unrelated to your position that the supported role decides the means.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's a different discussion altogether and unrelated to your position that the supported role decides the means.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Whatever better supports the missions for the projected threats.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They took the 131st Fighter Wing’s F-15s from the Missouri Air National Guard, and now they are the 131st Bomb Wing sharing time flying the B2’s at Whiteman. It could always be worse.
View Quote

Guard is clown shoes and shouldn’t be included in any serious combat conversation.  They should fly all the tanker and cargo missions.  Leave the real shit to the pros.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Guard is clown shoes and shouldn’t be included in any serious combat conversation.  They should fly all the tanker and cargo missions.  Leave the real shit to the pros.
View Quote

The pros that can barely keep a pilot past 10 years?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#44]
I'd rather see a bunch of deadwood generals ride off into the sunset than retire a single A-10. The troops need it. Russia has demonstrated their AF is of such low quality we can give the F-16s to Ukraine and get more good out of them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#45]
That's too bad.

Our probable enemy of the future is going to be a country that uses massive amounts of troops to overwhelm their enemy.

I would imagine an airplane that can decimate huge numbers of crunchies will be a game changer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A-10s needed to be retired 2 decades ago.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who could do it better?  lol  A lot of ground-pounders would vigorously disagree. Fighter pilots want to be Aces and there are no points for popping a tank, so where is the training going to be focused?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Retire all of the A-10s.  Every one of them.  Yesterday.

What block Viper would they be getting and how worn out are they?  There's so much politics about keeping a flying unit, even if it is a shitty decision.
Sometimes the answer is to shut down the unit.

View Quote

And sometimes getting better decision-makers is the answer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#49]
No relevant experience at all but a serious question.

If the A-10 is as useless as some here claim it to be, then why are the AC-130's not lumped in for the exact same reason? I mean think about if for a second.

The AC-130 from what I understand (I could be wrong) can't fly during the day because of the Spirt-03 shootdown.  

So its basically useless for the role its designed for, unless its night time?

I get the cool factor but aren't there better methods for CAS since the A-10 C-130 isn't suitable in a non permission environment?

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The pros that can barely keep a pilot past 10 years?
View Quote

And couldn't hit a womp rat flying at Mach 1 but an A-10 could hit them all day long.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top