Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2024 5:06:46 PM EDT
I just got a crazy deal on a 1943 Colt 1911. It has the initials EWF etched into it on the frame and slide. Would it be an impossibility to try and find out more about it or possibly track down the name it belonged to? I see it as a needle in a haystack but I don't know much about it. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#1]
You could try a Freedom of Information Act request to the Army, but those records only go back to 1975.  It will tell you where the pistol was but not who had it.  There are no records that will trace it to an individual.  It's entirely possible, probably likely that the EWF post dates military use.  A prior owner.  Scratching initials on firearms, even an SSN, was a thing back in the day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top