Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
What if you didn't know you were 40?
Orphaned, woke up from a coma, or whatever.
Maybe you thought you were 40 but found out that you were actually 35 or 45.
Would you suddenly feel younger or older?
It's just a number.
Overall health is more important, regardless of age.

I think the thing that affects me more than a specific age, is the fact that when I look at the local obituaries, more and more of the people listed are my age (72) or are younger than me.
Every day that I wake up, I feel like it's a good day, because somewhere, someone that was younger and healthier than me, didn't.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
40 is no big deal.  It's when you START to notice small things in your body, but the 40s are still perfectly.fine for most.

View Quote

As someone turning 42 soon, agree with this.

I'm in reasonable shape I think, but 40 was when I went from being able to go all weekend warrior with outdoor chores (shoveling, moving dirt/rocks/lumber/whatever heavy and awkwardly shaped stuff needs moved) and be perfectly fine Monday morning, to getting out of bed and immediately reaching for the Motrin to dull the pain in my body.

I still do it, and the Motrin works, but I'm no longer completely immune. And yes, I work a desk job (though spend plenty of time in the lab/shop when I can).
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I didn’t notice 40.   Just kept moving.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]
At 55 things started to hurt. At 60 it got worse, got cancer and had to to quit my favorite sport. Mid to late 60s I had multiple surgeries to fix things. At 70 things are really falling apart and I consider myself pretty active at the gym and not fat.  A new pain that won't go away comes along almost every month now. The mind is still there but the physical is a killer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Check engine light came on for me at 60. 40s were great.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I just turned 50 this year.  It is definitely all downhill from 40.  

For people planning their future, do everything you can to retire at 40 because if you are still looking at 15 years of working at 50 like I am, you have majorly fucked up.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#7]
40. Isn't even a bump in the road!
I'm 76
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, and the biggest thing i've noticed since 40 is a lack of motivation to do little things. I used to wake up at 6am to get in the garage and start home/vehicle projects for the day on weekends and now i could give a shit less. Mowing the yard once a week used to be fun now it's a giant chore. I bought a membership to a car wash, i used to absolutely love detailing my vehicle in the driveway when i was younger. I will have things i ordered just sitting around the house waiting for me to install/do/use that when i was younger i was waiting at the front door for. Things like that.

Thanks, now i'm depressed
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Physically speaking, the number 40 can be good if it causes you to wake up about diet and exercise. Kind of a scared straight thing.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#10]
It's all about your attitude.  If you think it's going to be bad, it will be.

Eat right, get enough sleep, and keep exercising.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I didn’t notice 40.   Just kept moving.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
No .    I was in my  early forties  when I went back to college .           To add to an Accounting degree .   Surrounded by green high school kids .

Life is what you make it .

gd

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I am in the best shape of my life at 47.  20 year marriage, 2 amazing kids, I am peaking.  I wouldn't trade my 40's for any previous decade.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#14]
No, definitely not.

I felt great at 40.

But turning 50...
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just turned 39 a few days ago so I hit the big 40 next June.

I remember the jokes etc that once you turn 40 it's all over. For those of you that are into your 40s now is it just another number or do you really start to see differences?
View Quote

Lol!  No, I wish I could see 40 again.  

I had just retired from the USN the year before and started a 24 year career in law enforcement.  Managed to graduate #1 in the academy and there were a couple older than me.

I noticed I started slowing down in my 50s, getting closer to 60.  Don't worry about the number.  Enjoy yourself while you can.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#16]
At 40 injuries for me do not heal the same, also I changed from lifting heavy to maintenance and way more cardio. Changed diet dropped some weight. Should have done it sooner since my knees are killing me. Will hopefully get the knees fixed up and cruise on staying active Instead of heavy lifting.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
My 40s were the best years of my life.  I was in the best shape I've ever been.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You can pull more ass >40 than you did from 15-39, IME.  

A LOT more.
View Quote

This is correct.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm 40 and I've got into the best shape of my life

But.... I definitely notice that my recovery time from injuries or overworking myself is way longer than it was 10 years ago

Waking up in the morning thinking, shit my back or shoulder is sore, but wait.. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary yesterday I just mowed 2 acres or cut and moved a bunch of brush. Oh yeah, I remember what the problem is, I'm not 20 any more.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I hated turning 40.  When I turned 50, it didn't bother me. Will be turning 60 soon, I guess I'll find out
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#21]
It’s not a doomsday number

It just means that from then on that you’ll be closer to 80 than to 0

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#22]
40 sucks because (for most of us) you have been working for 20 years and you have 20 more to go.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Our testosterone slows. You can probably deduce this just by reading the big testosterone thread in GD and seeing how many need to supplement.

Also, contrary to what I read in GD, we start to become physically less attractive after 40.  Our jawlines become less pronounced, our skin sags around the cheeks, our eyes and lips get crinkly.  These are all normal signs of aging.
Fortunately, women grade on different curves than men so there are other qualities that they can find attractive but physically, it starts at 40.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I remember the jokes etc that once you turn 40 it's all over. For those of you that are into your 40s now is it just another number or do you really start to see differences?
View Quote

You need to stop listening to people.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#25]
40 wasn’t bad.
Turning 10 was fucking hard man.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I’m 44 and years of abuse have made me hurt more than before.  That being said, I already was feeling some things in my 30’s.
However I’m in a super physically demanding job and love every minute of it.  For me I’m still. In great shape.  
8 weeks ago I broke a rib, punctured a lung and lacerated my spleen.  The week I got out of the hospital I took a couple on a back country ride.  

So I really think you can be an old forty a young forty or anywhere in the middle of it.

I was up loading horses for transport this morning and have already done two trail rides for clients today.  

Don’t get hung up on numbers just live.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#28]
It didn't bother me any psychologically. Im
a few years past it now and stuff does hurt a little more and I do get tired easier but it's relative to say my 20s and early 30s. I still get around just fine

I did hurt my back getting out of bed on my 40th birthday. Total coincidence but I still laughed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I didn't care about 30, 40, 50, 60 or 70. But the next one in less than a year will definitely get my attention. It is a negative thing to be concerned about your 'age', especially the numbers, because people don't all age the same - you could be significantly 'younger' than your years. The most important things are to stay active, do things you love and go the doctor every year up to 50, then every six months. I just saw today where obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes are expected to surge in the next few years, and the combination of all three, which is common, is extremely dangerous. Anybody can easily check their fasting blood sugar every six months even if you don't get blood work at the dr's. office - its better to find out you are pre-diabetic then to go in with a blood sugar of 460 like I did. Just get all the stuff for testing and do it. You'll have to prick a finger but if you get Type II diabetes you'll be doing it every day. Likewise you can do your own blood pressure and you should know if you're seriously overweight.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
40 was nothing.  At 50 things began to happen  to show me I'm getting older.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"If you don't have it "made" by forty you aren't going to make it".
View Quote

I’m 40.

Things have been improving financially/professionally for me since I was ~25. I wouldn’t say I “have it made”, but I can see it on the horizon and am still making progress toward it. If things continue to go well, I’ll be in a very good place by about 45, and technically able to retire by 50.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A LOT more.
View Quote

Yup. My peak was right around 45, and I was literally shocked at what came my way in my 40s
with zero effort on my part. I had to say no more than I expected, including for legal reasons.
Never thought that would happen in a million years.

My 50s were great as well, but as noted above, at 50 you start to really notice legit
aging/health issues. TRT helps a lot but by the end of your 50s you're starting to internalize
that you're not immortal.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#33]
At best half of your life has been lived. At worse two thirds of your life has been lived.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I re-enlisted in the national guard to go to Iraq when I was 40, was in Iraq with the infantry when I was 42, and as one of the older guys on the deployment I was in considerably much better condition running and pt wise than most everyone else.
Granted I worked at it, but point is being in my 40s was hardly a limit physically. If anything I started needing reading glasses mid 40s. Other than that, 40s can be good.
I’m in my late 50s, despite still hiking and doing things like running a 50k trail race last sep, I’m really starting to feel it, and look it, mentally and physically the last few years however. I’m trying hard not to get past the point of no return about that and make a recovery of sorts though.
Enjoy it, 40 can be young.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Given a time machine, I would pick age 40 over 30 or 20, hands down.

At 40, I set a new personal best in my bench and dead lifts. I weighed less than I did on my wedding day. I make more money than I did in my 20s or 30s, and have more saved in the bank. Generally, l feel accomplished and life feels more stable and secure.

At 20, I shared an apt with 3 roomates. That was fun. I was living in a tiny apartment by myself at 30. In my 40s, I have a lovely home plus a family to share it with. I wouldn't go back. This is way better.

And for some reason, Corvettes have suddenly become attractive to me. I can't tell if it's because the C8 genuinely doesn't suck, or if I'm just simply getting older.  Go figure!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#36]
40 ain't too bad at least not compared to 50, 60 and up.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#37]
nothing heals after 40.  not the end of the world, but definitely the beginning of the end.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#38]
40’s is prime time. Really after about 35 for me. Settled down, good income, good place in life. Still healthy enough for most anything and the ability to do it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
40 was nothing.  At 50 things began to happen  to show me I'm getting older.
View Quote

This.

40s were not much different than the 30s. Recovery time was greater, but there was not a great drop in performance.  I was running sub 5 second 40s up until 50 years old.

Huge drop off around 50 and the injuries of the 20s--40s really affect me now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:

You're only 39?

From all the 80s nostalgia crap you post I thought you were at least in your late 50s.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I dream of being 40 again. I was still ten feet tall and bulletproof through my 40s and 50s.

At 60 my Check Engine light came on and stayed on. I hurt in places I didn't know I had.

At 65 I've lost 75 pounds(so far), am down to 220 and feel better that I have for

a long time. Every investment you make in your health now will pay off BIG in your 60s.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Felt like I was sixteen until I hit 50.  Now at 52 I might feel like 20 or so.  So far, despite my health neglect, aging hasn't hit me too hard.  Yet.  Doing things (weight loss/getting in shape) to delay it as long as I can.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#43]
45 here, feel like I'm still in my 20's. I've been active my whole life, which I think is key to still feeling younger, along with eating well. The ONLY thing the bothers me physically is a recurring pain in my elbow from when I got into a bike accident 15 years ago. The other thing is I guess what you'd consider mental, and that is that I have like zero tolerance for bullshit anymore and I feel very jaded in a lot of ways. I think most of this is a reaction to the f*ct up direction our country has been going though.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is correct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A LOT more.

This is correct.
87% of Gee Dee hasn't had a vagina since a 'gina had them.

dat's just mean, man.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
40 sucks because (for most of us) you have been working for 20 years and you have 20 more to go.
View Quote
you get to retire at 60?

lucky.gif
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#46]
40 was the best year in my life, physically, emotionally, and financially (up to that point, anyway).  New wife, promotion to manager at work, running 3 days a week, lifting weights twice a week, and martial arts twice a week.
45 was when my health started turning to shit with heart issues.
FWIW, I'm 70 now so 45 still wasn't doomsday for me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Age 40 is when my physical decline became evident.  It took another ten years to become truly evident, and another ten after that begin obvious manifestations.

Then several years ago the hernias showed up.  That led to less physical activity and declining strength.  It became obvious that they needed to be fixed.  I scheduled and had performed a double hernia surgery.  I've heard your stories of double-triple marathons after the same surgery, but it didn't work out like that for me.  I took my time recovering because I did not want to become a Darwin candidate of fail.  During the recovery my back pain became more evident, and eventually had x-rays taken.  The diagnosis was degenerative disc disease.  The time of feeling good and time of "can't hardly walk" ratio changes from day to day and sometimes minute to minute.  I do stuff until I tire of the pain and take a break.  The breaks are getting longer.  I've reached full retirement age and took that fork in the road.  

Decline is inevitable for more than 87% of us and can only be managed to some degree.  Sure there are many of you that will much stronger than I am, but eventually we all die.  It doesn't scare me, but it will be damned inconvenient.

Good luck OP.  I hope you're one of the strong ones.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#48]
I feel better at 57 than ever. Exercise, eat right and drink plenty of beer!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I only saw a little "downhill" before deciding to not let that continue it's course.

I remember reaching over one morning to my bedside table to shut off my alarm and my shoulder said "that's too far."

However, since then, I have recorded 229,380 pushups and will be at 250k by October this year.  This year has produced 29,000 since 01JAN2024.

My beard has more gray in it and I am under the realization that I cannot play basketball for 40 straight minutes without something aching (as evidenced by doing so yesterday).

I still managed 185x13 and 155x15 on the bench yesterday while doing pullups, rows, and pulldowns on a nautilus machine.

Make good decisions and 40s will be no sweat.  This ETA comes from a guy who is about to be 45.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

A LOT more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those of you that are into your 40s now is it just another number or do you really start to see differences?

A LOT more.

I notice women are a lot more direct now.

I’m married but shit like today when the lady at the vet said “wow you’re handsome, I wish you weren’t _____’s husband”.
Page / 5
Top Top