Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 8/26/2024 6:19:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMGisbetter]
Discuss

I think it's bad for society and bad for anyone but a hedge firm.

If they wanna invest  buy as many stocks and bonds as they like because you can't live in a stock portfolio.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you limit the free markets?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The market will respond to shortages.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I would consider any effort to keep any one or a group, corporation or whatever from bidding on a house I wanted to sell as being unethical.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:44:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paul] [#4]
Why would government want to restrict who can buy a home in a free country except to create housing crisis and higher costs?

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Capitalism is scary
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BMGisbetter:If they wanna invest  buy as many stocks and bonds as they like because you can't live in a stock portfolio.
View Quote

There's 17-different classes of investments. You just want to have government restrict who can buy one of them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
There’s a way to battle back against it, but it’s going to require a metric fuck ton of autists who don’t give a shit about their credit scores.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Any corporation that owns more than 5 single family homes and isn’t headquartered in the same city as those homes should be taxed so heavily that their taxes construct an equivalent number of new single family homes per year.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Elijah1:
View Quote

Except it's NOT a free market.   The money being used is in part or in whole stolen from the American people via the fed.

If the banker in monopoly is stealing money and using it to buy homes to rent to you,  or loaning you the money they stole at interest.... that IS NOT a free market.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#10]
It’s not ethically wrong, but I don’t support it.

I generally don’t like more regulation. But in this case, I’d go with Charlie Kirk. He’s said something like if a firm has more than an $X amount in assets under management, they cannot be in the business of buying and renting out single family homes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:50:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: perfectsilence] [#11]
Originally Posted By grendelbane:
I would consider any effort to keep any one or a group, corporation or whatever from bidding on a house I wanted to sell as being unethical.
View Quote

So true

I sold 8 houses to Chinese nationals, some locals put in bids on all of them but they couldn’t compete. The homes are all sitting empty now

Got my money so zfg

/s
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:51:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: staringback05] [#12]
It's artificial...it's not some family that just outbids you, it's a multi billion dollar sometimes foreign company that hates you and hates capitalism

No foreign power private or public should be allowed to own US property

And no Blackstone should not be allowed to own 1000s of homes
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#13]
“ you will own nothing and be happy”

- Klaus Schwab

Did you really think they were kidding?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Paul:

There's 17-different classes of investments. You just want to have government restrict who can buy one of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BMGisbetter:If they wanna invest  buy as many stocks and bonds as they like because you can't live in a stock portfolio.

He'd probably be ok with the .gov restricting who can buy all of them, if he thought it would benefit him.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#15]
"Ethical"?

The Tech sector supports Chinese slavery.

The Oil sector funds White Slavery in Arabia.

The Textile sector supports Child Slavery.

The Entertainment Sector is a Pedophile marketplace.

The only correct question is "what is the profitability?"

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I owned rentals and was a landlord.  Was that wrong, OP?  I provided nice places for people to live at prices they were willing to pay.  I made some $ at it.  It was a win-win.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By feudist:
"Ethical"?

The Tech sector supports Chinese slavery.

The Oil sector funds White Slavery in Arabia.

The Textile sector supports Child Slavery.

The Entertainment Sector is a Pedophile marketplace.

The only correct question is "what is the profitability?"

View Quote

The Pharma sector supports forced innoculations of people with experimental drugs.  That's far worse than providing places to live.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Should have to be american owned. That is all.

Nothing prevents you from building a house
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#19]
The Democrats would love to have as many people as possible having to rent rather than own their own homes.  It’s easier to control corporations and force “environmentally friendly” junk in more homes, they’re getting campaign donations and kickbacks from the corporations and if you’re giving any of their politicians any problems they can influence the company you’re renting from to increase your rent to force you to move when you don’t want to or simply force you into a diverse and vibrant area you don’t want to live in and that’s just a few of the downsides.  Anyone thinking this is free market or capitalism and defending are probably the same ones wanting all narcotics to be legal.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Because we aren't in a free market.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#21]
The market will just create more land.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
The market will respond to shortages.
View Quote

If we had a free market, sure. But since many municipalities limit construction the market cannot respond.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:

Except it's NOT a free market.   The money being used is in part or in whole stolen from the American people via the fed.

If the banker in monopoly is stealing money and using it to buy homes to rent to you,  or loaning you the money they stole at interest.... that IS NOT a free market.
View Quote

+87
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't think the government should be involved.  And that means if the market collapses again there are zero protections.  Same for every other business.  Your stock collapses to zero, too fucking bad.  No bailouts, no loans.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

The Pharma sector supports forced innoculations of people with experimental drugs.  That's far worse than providing places to live.
View Quote

Just one of many things pharma is allowed to get away with, not to mention selling drugs at a loss to countries with socialized medicine and making up the difference by price gouging US citizens.  FDA is also significantly financed by pharmaceutical sales, signed into law by Bush I.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Long term I don't think it will work out well for them.  

Maybe I am biased as it does not sit right with me.

And I say this as someone in this business for 40 years.

Just because you are big does not mean you are smart.  They use other people's money anyway.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:05:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Isenhelm] [#27]
It depends what kind of nation, civilization you want to have.

If you want a few land barons ruling over a populace of peasants, serfs, slaves then yes.

If you want any sort of free society, you would prohibit the "free market" just like it was limited from buying humans as slaves.

Owner occupier only is a far more reasonable position than investor at all.

global anarcho capitalist or anyone who believes there should be no limitation of market/trade are as evil as all other enslavers, commies, nazis, etc..or are similar useful idiots to equal evil
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:08:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#28]
Originally Posted By BMGisbetter:
Discuss

I think it's bad for society and bad for anyone but a hedge firm.

If they wanna invest  buy as many stocks and bonds as they like because you can't live in a stock portfolio.

View Quote

Interesting.    You are quite literarily promoting communist ideology.   Redacted.  Lolz.

If an investor buys new houses as rental properties, that stimulates the building of more houses.   More houses on the market, means prices go down.  Supply and Demand.      Facts, not feelings.

The huge surge in pricing is due to
1. Very low interest rates.  They should have Never been that low.    
2. Inflation (Dollar devaluation).  
3. Rules and regulations which limit land development and make Everything more expensive.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Isenhelm:

If you want a few land barons ruling over a populace of peasants, serfs, slaves then yes.

If you want any sort of free society, you would prohibit the "free market" just like it was limited from buying humans as slaves.
View Quote

Are you comparing slave ownership to owning rental property?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Owner occupier only is a far more reasonable position than investor at all.

global anarcho capitalist or anyone who believes there be no limitation of market/trade are as evil as all other enslavers.
View Quote

How does the owner of an apartment bldg. occupy all 50 units?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Are you comparing slave ownership to owning rental property?
View Quote
limitation on trade
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#32]
We are seeing the results of the Fed printing trillions.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#33]

How does the owner of an apartment bldg. occupy all 50 units?
View Quote
Oh no, that might mean there could be complexity.. fuck it better just have land barons then.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Oh no, that might mean there could be complexity.. fuck it better just have land barons then.
View Quote

You're avoiding the question.  How does an owner of an apartment complex occupy all 50 units?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Interesting.    You are quite literarily promoting communist ideology.  

If an investor buys new houses as rental properties, that stimulates the building of more houses.   More houses on the market, means prices go down.  Supply and Demand.      Facts, not feelings.

3. Rules and regulations which limit land development and make Everything more expensive.
View Quote

I would argue a central entity owning the property and renting it is a communist move. Especially if they are a foreign entity engaging in economic warfare.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File
limitation on trade
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#37]
That’s debatable, but ethics and virtue are largely irrelevant to the equation. They didn’t create the market conditions that required them to seek any hedge against inflation they could find. They also weren’t responsible for the free money train that led to real estate being one of those safeguards.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

A single entity, subsidized by the government, having a monopoly over a single industry is much closer to communism than arguing in support of anti-trust laws to ensure such a monopoly doesn’t occur.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Unethical if funds/companies are foreign owned.

I think gov should make it very unprofitable for any investment company to own homes
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I owned rentals and was a landlord.  Was that wrong, OP?  I provided nice places for people to live at prices they were willing to pay.  I made some $ at it.  It was a win-win.

View Quote

Sorry bud but you're no Blackrock...big difference
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By green_bullet:
Unethical if funds/companies are foreign owned.

I think gov should make it very unprofitable for any investment company to own homes
View Quote

If, as a landlord, I had incorprated my business would that apply to me?  Should the govt. try to make my rental business unprofitable?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By staringback05:

Sorry bud but you're no Blackrock...big difference
View Quote

So, bubba, where would you draw the line?  5 rentals?  10?  20?  100?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Corporations should not own housing.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:23:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#44]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:

I would argue a central entity owning the property and renting it is a communist move. Especially if they are a foreign entity engaging in economic warfare.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:

Yeah, I can see I’m very outnumbered on this topic.   I’m too busy to argue it right now, so I’ll have to just agree that current prices truly suck and are devastating to society.    I can understand why people are angry and looking for scapegoats.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Dont rent from them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Why would government want to restrict who can buy a home in a free country except to create housing crisis and higher costs?

View Quote

Because when the housing market blew up in 2008, the government protected the wealthy from losses. So if capitalism doesn’t apply then, why should it now?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#47]
There is a whole subdivision of houses that are lease only down here. It looks deserted.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Rock_Ranger:
Corporations should not own housing.

View Quote

You do realize that most apartment complexes are owned by corps.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Because unlike fiat currency and stonks, real estate and therefore houses are a finite resource AND owning a home is the foundation of the American dream.

I can't think of any other tangible resource I would put that kind of restriction on, except maybe water and air, and corporations already control most of the water, and gov is already taxing air.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Bingo
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top