Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2019 12:17:16 AM EDT
Damn. Thrasher was a big part of my life when I was younger.

Longtime Thrasher editor Jake Phelps has died, according to the magazine's social media. He was 56.

Thrasher founder Tony Vitello announced Phelps' death on the magazine's Instagram:

"Jake Phelps was 100% skateboarder, but that label sells him way too short, because beyond his enormous influence in our world, he was truly an individual beyond this world," Vitello wrote.

The cause of death is not yet known. Vitello did not return a request to comment.

Clark Phelps, Jake's uncle, said in a Facebook post Thursday that his nephew "died suddenly and easy today."

In 1993, after a few years boxing merchandise in Thrasher's shipping department, Phelps landed at the top of the masthead, where he remained for 26 years.

A punk to his core and skateboarder until the end, Phelps was a San Francisco icon, oft seen scraping around the city on his preferred mode of transportation — a beat-up skateboard.

Phelps suffered a serious head injury in 2017 after falling while "bombing" a hill in front of Dolores Park at an unofficial event that drew hundreds of local skateboarders. It's not known if the 2017 injury is related to his death.

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Jake-Phelps-editor-Thrasher-mag-dead-skateboarding-13690148.php
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:30:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn bro.

RIP Skate is life.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:54:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Santa Cruz - Wheels of fire - 1987 (FULL VIDEO)
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:54:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Bones Brigade - The Search For Animal Chin 1987
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Not always the easiest guy to get along with.  But a decent dude.

R.I.P Phelpers

Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Skate or die!

Anyone else remember Christian Hasoi catching ridiculous air back in the day?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:09:11 AM EDT
[#6]
skateboarder    
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:13:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:20:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
skateboarder    
View Quote
Back off bitch

I mean, when it comes down to it, skateboarding is just as dumb as any other thing people do for fun.

That said, skateboarding was different in San Francisco.  It was gritty and raw.  We had big ass hills to bomb, Hispanic gangs to avoid and bums to fight.  It wasn't some kids down at the rec center, the whole city was the skate park.

In a weird way, I owe my life to 4 wheels and that place.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:22:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Back off bitch

I mean, when it comes down to it, skateboarding is just as dumb as any other thing people do for fun.

That said, skateboarding was different in San Francisco.  It was gritty and raw.  We had big ass hills to bomb, Hispanic gangs to avoid and bums to fight.  It wasn't some kids down at the rec center, the whole city was the skate park.

View Quote
Hard for those not around in that era to see how popular it was
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:26:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Back off bitch

View Quote
You and grew up similar.  I was just farther south in the beach Cities.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:41:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Loved seeing him on King of The Road, that sucks to hear.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:50:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I was doing some remodeling at my mom and dad's house about 15 years ago and had to open a wall to rewire some stuff and to replace some crappy sheetrock my younger brother installed in 1989. When I got the sheetrock off, I noticed there was no insulation. Instead, my brother had stuffed the wall with old newspapers and copies of Thrasher Magazine circa 1981-1984. I told my mom about it and she said she gave him money for insulation, but it appears he stole the money and stuffed the wall with magazines. Sounds about right. I just tossed the mags. Were they worth something?

My experience with SF skateboarders in the 80's was they were anti-social pricks who hung out at Justin Herman Plaza and Union Square harassing tourists and shoppers.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:50:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Shit, man.

RIP

Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:51:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was doing some remodeling at my mom and dad's house about 15 years ago and had to open a wall to rewire some stuff and to replace some crappy sheetrock my younger brother installed in 1989. When I got the sheetrock off, I noticed there was no insulation. Instead, my brother had stuffed the wall with old newspapers and copies of Thrasher Magazine circa 1981-1984. I told my mom about it and she said she gave him money for insulation, but it appears he stole the money and stuffed the wall with magazines. Sounds about right. I just tossed the mags. Were they worth something?

My experience with SF skateboarders in the 80's was they were anti-social pricks who hung out at Justin Herman Plaza and Union Square harassing tourists and shoppers.
View Quote
China banks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 2:03:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
China banks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

China banks.
I broke off my front tooth at Chinatown banks .

Rode the BART home to the TL looking like Fight Club

Homeless dude on the bus told me to bash my face into the railing when the bus stopped and sue the city.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 2:28:46 AM EDT
[#16]
saw this... thrasher is one of the last skateboarding publications in circulation.

he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but has done so much for skating.

i also like seeing the big skateboarding culture on arfcom.. it's nice.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#17]
He wouldn't want people grieving over his passing but celebrating his life.  I raise my glass  
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

skateboarder    
View Quote
Don't be a dick.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Lynda Carter
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Skate and Destroy
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Skate and Destroy
View Quote
Fuckin A’ bro
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn...

Thrasher was a great mag growing up. Hall of Meat was my first skate vid.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Skateboarding is not a crime
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Thrash in peace, Phelpers.

Most of the times in my life that I've been to the ER, or SHOULD have gone, a skateboard was involved.

And I'd have it no other way.

I have never been a good skater but I swear I'm not done yet. If I can get my weight back down below 200 pounds, I'm going to get back on the board yet again.

I'm 53.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#26]
He didn't prevent this tragedy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thrash in peace, Phelpers.

Most of the times in my life that I've been to the ER, or SHOULD have gone, a skateboard was involved.

And I'd have it no other way.

I have never been a good skater but I swear I'm not done yet. If I can get my weight back down below 200 pounds, I'm going to get back on the board yet again.

I'm 53.
View Quote
Or you can do what this 48yo fat ass did and space the fuck out of his
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I've still got my Gordon & Smith FibreFlex with Tracker Trucks, G&S Yo-Yo's, and a spare set of Belair Lip Bombs, Cell Blocks and Pivot Pad. I bought them new in 1978 and still have them. The old school clay-rubber truck pads are getting harder and harder to find.

I'm about the same age as Jake. I cannot imagine wrecking (...or riding fast) at my age or in 2017...wow
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
He didn't prevent this tragedy.
View Quote
I always wanted that shirt
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#30]
R.I.P.

Always sad to see a brother pass .
One of the most enjoyable things in life is being on a plank of wood with 4 wheels .
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#31]
And yet Ruth Bader Ginsburg lives on.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back off bitch

We did the same thing in MI.  For 4 or 5 years when we were young skateboards were the preferred method of transportation.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#33]
If skateboarding taught me one thing it was that Foster’s in the oil
can from 7-11 was safer to roll with in hand that a quart of Miller
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I had a Nash fishtail plastic board in the late 70s, and would tear-ass all over our neighborhood on it or my bicycle. I never got good enough to do tricks on it, but would find a tall, steep hill(lots of them in West Nashville)and go as fast as I dared. My rides usually ended in speed-wobbling, falling off the board, and then sliding to a stop on some part of my body.

The grass grows thick and lush in Belmont/Hillsboro due to the amount of skin and blood I left on the streets.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If skateboarding taught me one thing it was that Foster’s in the oil
can from 7-11 was safer to roll with in hand that a quart of Miller
View Quote
That is some father to son wisdom right there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had a Nash fishtail plastic board in the late 70s, and would tear-ass all over our neighborhood on it or my bicycle. I never got good enough to do tricks on it, but would find a tall, steep hill(lots of them in West Nashville)and go as fast as I dared. My rides usually ended in speed-wobbling, falling off the board, and then sliding to a stop on some part of my body.

The grass grows thick and lush in Belmont/Hillsboro due to the amount of skin and blood I left on the streets.
View Quote
This is why our knees are tore to shit now. Scabs never even got a chance to heal before they got ripped off again.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#37]
At my retirement ceremony I was presented with a deck signed by Master Chief Brian Brannon, aka the frontman for JFA.

Been years since I rode one. Might need to get back on.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I tried to skate when I was a kid... it looked so awesome. I was just not cut out for it, but always appreciated and envied those who could thrash.

RIP
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
At my retirement ceremony I was presented with a deck signed by Master Chief Brian Brannon, aka the frontman for JFA.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86695/deck-879660.jpg

View Quote
WTF man.   No way.  I had no idea that weird skinny fucker ended up serving.

Very cool man.  I'd have to find a spot on the wall to stick that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#42]
He's not a skinny fucker anymore.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86695/deck-879660.jpg

View Quote
That's awesome.  After a twentyish year hiatus I went back and you should too.

Having a boy three years ago really got me back into it (his board second from bottom).  I wore wrist guards for the first year back,  smartest thing I could have done.
Top Top