Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2024 8:54:21 PM EDT

Headed to Japan for a couple of weeks in mid-June with my 15 year old kid. I've been twice before, but this is my first trip in 18 years. It is my understanding that in that time, foreign tourist visits have increased 10-fold so I would imagine quite a lot has changed.

The biggest question I have is, will I need to reserve train tickets days ahead or is it no problem to turn up at the station, buy a ticket and hop on? Not doing the Japan Rail Pass this time as it is no longer worth the price.

Will be in Tokyo, Kanazawa, Takayama, and Kyoto with side trips from each. Will use the shinkansen whenever it is available.

Also, if anybody has any out of the way or oddball recommendations, I'd love to hear them. Have already seen most of the biggies in central Honshu and Kansai.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If you see this guy, let your kid spend some time with him.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I went in 2018 to Tokyo and Kyoto. Going again this summer. Tagged for info.

Kyoto I had the best Kobe A5 in my life. I’ll try and find the place because I’m going again.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Train tickets are easily had day of in most cases with the exception of holidays (check the calendar).  For hard deadlines, I’d hit the kiosk the day before, but I don’t think it was necessary.

The digital art museum in Tokyo was wild and your kid will love it. Book tickets ahead of time: https://www.teamlab.art/jp/e/tokyo/

If you do Fushimi Inari Taisha in Kyoto, come at it from the trail in the bamboo forest to the south east.  Long walk but worth it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, forgot to ask:

Do bands still play on Sundays at Yoyogi koen or is that not a thing any more?

It was one of my most favorite things to do in Tokyo and my kid would love it but looking around on the internet, there's almost no info on it in the past 10 or 12 years.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
@ToledoXJ

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Go see the Fukushima 3 eyed toads.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Kyoto is not too far from Nara (bowing deer were pretty cool). Sucks your som not just a bit older or would definitely recommend the Mario kart experience in Tokyo. I don’t think they had any two seaters but you can check. Just need an international drivers license though
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I was there last fall but spent all of my time on Okinawa.  Damn, I want to go back!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JesseCJC:
Kyoto is not too far from Nara (bowing deer were pretty cool). Sucks your som not just a bit older or would definitely recommend the Mario kart experience in Tokyo. I don’t think they had any two seaters but you can check. Just need an international drivers license though
View Quote

Have been to Nara and going back this time. Great town, one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I lived there for 11 years and had a car. Driven from the southern tip of Kyushu to the Northern end of Hokkaido, minus the ferry to Hokkaido of course.

Kyushu was always my favorite area. You could be hiking around an active volcano in the morning and on the beach in the afternoon.

One of the most interesting things I came across was the kamikaze museum near the village of Chiran,  Kagoshima. Utterly fascinating.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Lol that shit is hilarious. I never paid to do it but I saw it a few times. Bummer you need an IDL tho, but  well its japan.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

I lived there for 11 years and had a car. Driven from the southern tip of Kyushu to the Northern end of Hokkaido, minus the ferry to Hokkaido of course.

Kyushu was always my favorite area. You could be hiking around an active volcano in the morning and on the beach in the afternoon.

One of the most interesting things I came across was the kamikaze museum near the village of Chiran,  Kagoshima. Utterly fascinating.
View Quote

Yasukuni shrine has a similar section dedicated to the Kamikaze and other war criminals. I highly recommend it if you want to see a totally different take on history than what you might expect. The Kamakaze room tends to have people praying in it the few times I've been, which is a trip.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I was in Tokyo last week for 3 days working.  Yen is at a historic low so great time for tourist. There are way to many in the city right now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't go to Osaka.  You need a permit to leave.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:
View Quote

And don't leave your ship unattended.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I live here in Tokyo. June is more than hot enough but at least there is only one holiday in June so you won't be competing with locals for train tickets - at least not more than usual. I try to advise people to avoid coming in June/July/August due to the heat but I guess you are already locked in.

I also advise people to avoid Kyoto as it is infested by tourists and is no longer what it used to be. I was voluntold by my Army Reserve leadership to act as navigator to Kyoto for a group who were here for an exercise in 2015. The only times I heard Japanese being spoken was when I was talking with the staff at restaurants/shops. I heard just about every other language being spoken in the crush of people around us.  
Originally Posted By code99:

Do bands still play on Sundays at Yoyogi koen or is that not a thing any more?

View Quote

Sorry to say but the Tokyo city government decided that this weekly event wasn't important enough and the streets are no longer blocked off on Sundays around that park. I have not heard if/where those groups went to after that changed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#17]
For something really different, you could take the high speed ferry to Niijima Island from Tokyo and camp for a night.  Can probably get everything you need for cheap at the Mega Don Quijote store in Shibuya.  All your gear and boat tickets would probably be the same as a night in a hotel (just store your main luggage in a train station locker).   It's a pretty cool island and will have a lot of surfers in June.  

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Ronin76:
I live here in Tokyo. June is more than hot enough but at least there is only one holiday in June so you won't be competing with locals for train tickets - at least not more than usual. I try to advise people to avoid coming in June/July/August due to the heat but I guess you are already locked in.

I also advise people to avoid Kyoto as it is infested by tourists and is no longer what it used to be. I was voluntold by my Army Reserve leadership to act as navigator to Kyoto for a group who were here for an exercise in 2015. The only times I heard Japanese being spoken was when I was talking with the staff at restaurants/shops. I heard just about every other language being spoken in the crush of people around us.  

Sorry to say but the Tokyo city government decided that this weekly event wasn't important enough and the streets are no longer blocked off on Sundays around that park. I have not heard if/where those groups went to after that changed.
View Quote

I'm visiting in May.  That's too bad about Kyoto, I was planning a quick 1 day tour from Osaka.  

What are the odds of Mt Fuji being visible?  The interweb indicates spring-summer tends to be cloudy.  Are the weather forecasts accurate such that I can change my plans with a couple days notice?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Tokyo during the summer isn't that bad heat wise.  Also, he's coming from MS.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By couchlord:
What are the odds of Mt Fuji being visible?  The interweb indicates spring-summer tends to be cloudy.  Are the weather forecasts accurate such that I can change my plans with a couple days notice?
View Quote

Seeing Mt. Fuji is hit or miss unless you plan to climb it. If you do want to climb Mt. Fuji you have to make arrangements - as of this year they no longer allow people to just show up and climb it. There have been too many tourists and it was getting way too crowded - and too much trash.

There are lots of other options for places to visit out in the countryside where you can get away from the tourist crowds. A cousin or mine visited last Oct/Nov/Dec and spent most of his time hiking all over the countryside - numerous spots between western Japan and the far northeast. He and his buddy were often the only non-Japanese staying where they were.

Kanazawa is a good alternative to Kyoto. Lots of historic sites and fewer tourists (anywhere other than Kyoto would be fewer tourists).
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

You may be required to build a fleet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I hate to hear that about the bands.....my wife and I are still talking about that experience 18 years later.

I'm from Mississippi. Heat isn't going to be a problem for me. If you've ever spent any time in the Deep South in Summer, you understand why. I would have much rather made the trip in the spring or fall but June was the only time that was going to work for me. I'm more worried about rain....but we will come prepared for that.

We're only doing 3 nights in Kyoto and will probably only really do 1 day there. I've been twice before so seen a good bit of it already and I don't want to get 'templed out', even as much as I love temples. Day trips to Hemeji and Nara are as important to me as Kyoto itself. To me, seeing Hemeji-jo for the first time was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.......and I've seen a lot.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:54:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: code99] [#23]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Good advice, Inglese
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Would love to see Kyushu, Hokkaido, Shikoku and northern Honshu, just not enough time this trip.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Yasukuni shrine has a similar section dedicated to the Kamikaze and other war criminals. I highly recommend it if you want to see a totally different take on history than what you might expect. The Kamakaze room tends to have people praying in it the few times I've been, which is a trip.

View All Quotes

I have been to Yakusuni shrine and the museum. Loved it. May have to go again this trip.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Haves:
I was in Tokyo last week for 3 days working.  Yen is at a historic low so great time for tourist. There are way to many in the city right now.
View Quote

Yeah, I was very happy to hear about the exchange rate when I started to plan the trip. That's about a 50% change from my last trip.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

I only passed through Osaka in the past. This trip we are planning on at least an evening to gorge ourselves and walk around.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By showmeballer:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By showmeballer:

Just read your post. I might need to bring a coat.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:02:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ToledoXJ] [#29]
@code99

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/In-Japan-again-FINAL-PICS-4-30-Dog-back-home-passed-/5-2713679/

Kyoto was cool by umekoji park. Umekoji Potel is an awesome place to stay. Great hotel
Train museum was outstanding

I love Nagoya and no one else does. No tourists. Then again you could drop me anywhere in Japan and I'd love it.

Tokoname was pretty neat. There is a bakery there I'd fly back for the melonpan rn

My 1st trip just after Japan reopened post covid. Makes me sad it'll never be like this again. Kyoto was empty. Shibuya was NOT but it was almost all Japanese

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-My-trip-to-Japan-pics-/5-2613262/?

Chatted with a Canadian couple on the way back and asked if they liked Osaka. The guys wife said "ever been to Niagra falls?" I'll continue skipping it
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#30]
We went in October 2019. Saw Mt Fuji from the Shinkansen and once on a cable car. Purely luck, and only a fleeting glimpse in each case. Japan is a great place to visit.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:
@code99

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/In-Japan-again-FINAL-PICS-4-30-Dog-back-home-passed-/5-2713679/

Kyoto was cool by umekoji park. Umekoji Potel is an awesome place to stay. Great hotel

I love Nagoya and no one else does. No tourists. Then again you could drop me anywhere in Japan and I'd love it.

Tokoname was pretty neat. There is a bakery there I'd fly back for the melonpan rn

My 1st trip just after Japan reopened post covid. Makes me sad it'll never be like this again. Kyoto was empty. Shibuya was NOT but it was almost all Japanese

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-My-trip-to-Japan-pics-/5-2613262/?

Chatted with a Canadian couple on the way back and asked if they liked Osaka. The guys wife said "ever been to Niagra falls?" I'll continue skipping it
View Quote

I followed your post about your most recent trip to Japan in real time. Very sorry about your dog. The only way I'm able to go on this trip is because my wife is staying home and taking care of our dogs.

I've only spent time on layovers in the train station in Nagoya but every time I was there I wondered what it would be like to see what a 'normal' work-a-day Japanese city like Nagoya would be like. I know that we will transit through there going from Takayama to Kyoto. Any suggestions for something quick near the train station?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:46:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#32]
I was there in 2023

Pet cafes are awesome, the giant cross walk in Shibuya was worth seeing, wondering around Akihabara is always worth your time, and I didn't make it the last go but I hear their is a Sega Museum that's also pretty cool

Other than that from my previous trips; Deer Island, Monkey Island, various hot springs, Fox sanctuary, and just the beautiful temples and castles are all great reasons to go. Walking around old buildings in Nagano while it was snowing was surreal

A couple random pics on my phone

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:04:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Does the Verizon international plan work well in Japan?  I recently used it in Brazil and it worked well.  I figure Japan should be at least that good, but the interweb's recommend renting a portable wifi router.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:07:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By GlockfanUT:
I was there last fall but spent all of my time on Okinawa.  Damn, I want to go back!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111848/IMG_0042_jpeg-3197149.JPG
View Quote

I was on Okinawa for several months for work last year and have stood in that exact same spot lol. I too want to go back pretty badly. We may even have been there at the same time for a bit, I left at the end of October.

If you go there again you have to go to Smokin Slabz BBQ, it's directly across the marina from your picture's point of view. Damn good barbecue and the owner is a solid guy, worked with him daily on shift, he runs the restaurant as a side gig and is an excellent cook.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:43:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Does the Verizon international plan work well in Japan?  I recently used it in Brazil and it worked well.  I figure Japan should be at least that good, but the interweb's recommend renting a portable wifi router.
View Quote

If you signed up for their international plan then yes

Essentially Verizon has sister networks they connect to, so it's not Verizon just a local partner. It will tell you at the top of your phone what network you are connected to. No issues using this in Japan or actually any of Asia
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By The_Master_Shake:

Essentially Verizon has sister networks they connect to, so it's not Verizon just a local partner. It will tell you at the top of your phone what network you are connected to. No issues using this in Japan or actually any of Asia
View All Quotes

Do they charge an arm and a leg for it like AT&T does? When I’m in Taiwan, I just get a local SIM card or a portable cellular hot spot since it’s so much cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:06:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Miles_Urbanus] [#38]
The Samuari Ninja Museum is Koyoto is really good. You can buy J-Rail pass same day. You have to activate it at a ticket counter (all the larger stations have them) if you buy it ahead of time anyway.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#39]

Lol that shit is hilarious. I never paid to do it but I saw it a few times. Bummer you need an IDL tho, but  well its japan.

View All Quotes

IDL is easy to get.  It’s just a translation / universally accepted piece that says your license is valid. AAA does them.  Takes 15 minutes and a pic.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:54:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: arrgr] [#40]
Look up getting a Suica card on your phone.  That came in handy for my recent trip.  You can even use it at vending machines.  We had both a phone with an international plan and rented a "pocket wifi" from the airport to use as a Hotspot.  The pocket wifi for about $8/day was a lot faster and a better option.  

I found it vastly easier to get around with English than my last trips 10 years ago. Where English didn't work use Google Translate.  We either typed or scanned in things to translate and even used spoken translations a couple of times.  

Visit a Don Quixote store.  Try a Family Mart fried chicken.  

Lastly there are a lot of content creators on YT and Instagram with tips on travelling to Japan.  Found a few of those helpful.
I also found a reddit sub /japantravel that had a lot of tips helpful.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:
@code99

View Quote
That's good to hear about Nagoya. I'm heading to Japan in October and plan to spend a couple of days there. Hoping to catch a local band playing at Hope Plaza. One of the bands I listen to (Gordon) is out of Nagoya.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By madwis15:

Do they charge an arm and a leg for it like AT&T does? When I’m in Taiwan, I just get a local SIM card or a portable cellular hot spot since it’s so much cheaper.
View Quote

Yea it's Bonkers and not a good value. It's exponentially cheaper to buy data at the airport
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Verizon International is $10/day.  But somehow I had built up some sort of credit with Verizon and my 7 day trip was free.  I don't understand the intricacies of my Verizon plan.  

But regardless, I've downloaded Japanese into my Iphone google translate app, I think I can download area google maps as well.  So if I have connection trouble I won't be completely screwed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By code99:

Headed to Japan for a couple of weeks in mid-June with my 15 year old kid. I've been twice before, but this is my first trip in 18 years. It is my understanding that in that time, foreign tourist visits have increased 10-fold so I would imagine quite a lot has changed.

The biggest question I have is, will I need to reserve train tickets days ahead or is it no problem to turn up at the station, buy a ticket and hop on? Not doing the Japan Rail Pass this time as it is no longer worth the price.

Will be in Tokyo, Kanazawa, Takayama, and Kyoto with side trips from each. Will use the shinkansen whenever it is available.

Also, if anybody has any out of the way or oddball recommendations, I'd love to hear them. Have already seen most of the biggies in central Honshu and Kansai.
View Quote
IF I ever get to Japan, I want to tour one or more of the Ninja Museums...
Here is a link to one of them.  I think there are about a half dozen or so, based on the original and historical Ninja Clans or Families..
https://www.iganinja.jp/en/museum/index.html

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:53:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#45]
Originally Posted By smullen:
IF I ever get to Japan, I want to tour one or more of the Ninja Museums...
Here is a link to one of them.  I think there are about a half dozen or so, based on the original and historical Ninja Clans or Families..
https://www.iganinja.jp/en/museum/index.html

View Quote

Its pretty out of the way and more kid/youth oriented. Like, it will take you the better part of a day to get there by the local train.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Yea it's Bonkers and not a good value. It's exponentially cheaper to buy data at the airport
View Quote

yup totally true of most international travel, just buy a sim or pocket wifi.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:00:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#47]
View Quote
@Harlikwin (or anyone)

Who are the others?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:10:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#48]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
@Harlikwin (or anyone)

Who are the others?
View Quote

There is huge list of the "class A" war criminals enshrined there, Tojo for sure, some of the other big generals involved in various massacres etc. The kamikaze room also had a display of the garments and sword of some war criminal general that committed sepuku and his last words were I wish I only did more. At least last time I went.

Its a pretty controversial place. And their revisionist take on history is also kinda fucked/interesting.

The closest thing I can imagine in a western context is if after WW2 the Germans built a shrine to the WaffenSS.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:25:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PossumKing] [#49]

Verizon International is $10/day.  But somehow I had built up some sort of credit with Verizon and my 7 day trip was free.  I don't understand the intricacies of my Verizon plan.  

But regardless, I've downloaded Japanese into my Iphone google translate app, I think I can download area google maps as well.  So if I have connection trouble I won't be completely screwed.
View All Quotes

That $10/day on Verizon is for very limited data.  Get the wifi box at the airport.  You'll pay less, get tons of data fast, and everyone in your party can use it at the same time.  It does take up some space but it's nothing if you are carrying a pack, which most travellers are.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#50]
There is huge list of the "class A" war criminals enshrined there, Tojo for sure, some of the other big generals involved in various massacres etc. The kamikaze room also had a display of the garments and sword of some war criminal general that committed sepuku and his last words were I wish I only did more. At least last time I went.

Its a pretty controversial place. And their revisionist take on history is also kinda fucked/interesting.

The closest thing I can imagine in a western context is if after WW2 the Germans built a shrine to the WaffenSS.
View Quote
Interesting. Thanks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top