BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There was an interview with a career F-15C driver (20yrs) who flew F-22s his last 4 years.  He said the maintenance was less on the F-22 compared even with the F-16.....if you didn't include the RAM.  Is that your perspective too?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most fun was de-pickling a motor after an engine change. They put some kind of preservative in them when they're overhauled, and it gets burned off the first time you crank it up on the aircraft. Fire department comes out, and the poor dope-on-a-rope (crew chief on ground cord) gets as far from the jet as possible. It produces a cloud that can completely envelope the aircraft. Seemed kind of cool at the time.

Only jet-related activity that ever really kind of scared me was the man-on-a-stand run on the AC-130s. They wrapped the casters on the stand in chains to keep the stand from being dragged in that big-ass swinging prop, and adjusted the pitch to as close to neutral as possible. You're literally two or three feet from the world's biggest mix-master, and it's hypnotic in a bad way. Never enjoyed that, ever.

Pickled engines were awesome! Just make sure you tell the fire department guys in advance. I don't think I would like being that close to a 130 prop either.  My biggest pucker moment running engines was my first burner run after finishing engine run class. I was running an F-15E in a hush house troubleshooting an engine stall in the #2 engine.  I ran it slowly from idle to max AB a couple times and nothing happened, then I slammed the throttle from idle to max AB.  That caused a nice compressor stall that sent a huge fire ball out the intake,  over the canopy, and down the #1 engine.  Turned out the nozzle control was binding and not allowing the nozzle to open up fast enough when you advanced the throttle quickly.
I'm still amazed at the level of complexity on the F-15, and that you all are able to maintain the FMC/MC rates that you do, especially considering its Control Augmentation System, variable intake angle mechanisms, variable intake ramps, and everything associated with the engines.  Never mind E&E, fluids, avionics, radar, airframe, weapons, etc.

I worked F15C/D/Es for 10 years and 6 years on F-22s. I would take working 15s over 22s every day of the week and twice on Sundays! And every Crew Chief I know who as worked both will say the same thing.

There was an interview with a career F-15C driver (20yrs) who flew F-22s his last 4 years.  He said the maintenance was less on the F-22 compared even with the F-16.....if you didn't include the RAM.  Is that your perspective too?

I'm sure he saw some BS figures saying that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Most fun was de-pickling a motor after an engine change. They put some kind of preservative in them when they're overhauled, and it gets burned off the first time you crank it up on the aircraft. Fire department comes out, and the poor dope-on-a-rope (crew chief on ground cord) gets as far from the jet as possible. It produces a cloud that can completely envelope the aircraft. Seemed kind of cool at the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

1010 Oil, MIL-6081.

Quoted:
Only jet-related activity that ever really kind of scared me was the man-on-a-stand run on the AC-130s. They wrapped the casters on the stand in chains to keep the stand from being dragged in that big-ass swinging prop, and adjusted the pitch to as close to neutral as possible. You're literally two or three feet from the world's biggest mix-master, and it's hypnotic in a bad way. Never enjoyed that, ever.

You hot refuel the C-2 / E-2 behind the stbd prop in the wheel well.
Scary as fuck the first time you do it, especially when it's in high ground idle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

MD88/90?

Or the B717?

I'm just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks at this point
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@M82Assault

Nope, though a “Boeing” does have this engine hung off of it, and it is in current airline use today.

MD88/90?

Or the B717?

I'm just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks at this point

B717/MD95 has the BMW/Rolls Royce BR715, which the core plant was designed for industrial power. It als explains all the craptastic half measures that were used to make it an “aircraft engine.”  When the engine works, it’s beautiful, when it decides it’s that time of the month, well I’d almost rather go lav diving.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

1010 Oil, MIL-6081.

You hot refuel the C-2 / E-2 behind the stbd prop in the wheel well.
Scary as fuck the first time you do it, especially when it's in high ground idle.
View Quote

You get into another 'hole level of craziness with naval aviation. Worked with an AF SNCO who was former carrier mx. He told me about thinking he was going to die the first time they had him installing tail fin pitot static covers with a ten foot metal rod in the middle of a lightning storm. He used to laugh at our "lightning within 10" warnings.

Ever seen the pictures of the Italian FE that got out to look at a battery problem they were having on their C-160? Ital AF said he lost his "situational awareness". They put a little orange cone everywhere they found a piece of that guy. There must have been 300 cones on that ramp...
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@2A373

One thing I've wondered about is how did the actual connections from the throttles in the F-15 link to the motors?

Was it cables and pulleys before DEEC?

How would you even service that system and the lines?
View Quote

There is no difference in how throttle inputs are transmitted to the engine between the old -100s with EECs and -220/229 with DEECs. It is just pulleys and cables to a junction box in the engine bay where throttle movement is converted to a rotation motion that is transferred to the engine by a shaft.

I've forgotten what all does what from that point on as to how the engine is controlled.

I'm curious if the new 15s coming off the line still use the same throttle system since they are fly by wire now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Small jet engines get started with an electric starter.  That only works for things like business jets or the auxiliary power unit on airliners.

Once the APU is started they pull bleed air off the compressor section and use that to spin an air powered starter on the main engine.  In flight the air moving across the blades is enough to windmill the motor to get an air start.

What's really cool is that you can make your own jet engine out of a car's turbocharger if you like living dangerously.
View Quote

I like living dangerously.  Tell me how it's done.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Small jet engines get started with an electric starter.  That only works for things like business jets or the auxiliary power unit on airliners.

Once the APU is started they pull bleed air off the compressor section and use that to spin an air powered starter on the main engine.  In flight the air moving across the blades is enough to windmill the motor to get an air start.

What's really cool is that you can make your own jet engine out of a car's turbocharger if you like living dangerously.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-your-own-Jet-Engine/
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What actually happens from a mechanical standpoint when you advance or retract the throttles?

Throttles forward, cable connected to a lever on the motor that does what?

Do they open up the fuel flow and nozzle position simultaneously and how is that done?

I've never seen schematics for any of that.
View Quote

There are two cables connected to each throttle, one to advance and one to retract.  They go out to the engine through a series of pulleys.

The cables connect to the main engine control, which is a hydromechanical thing that had to be designed by a madman.  It takes input from a bunch of sensors and uses pressurized fuel to move the variable stator vanes, variable bleed valves, and the fuel schedule to the rings.  The reduction in fuel flow slows the motor down and the VSVs and VBVs keep it running smoothly and efficiently.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

F-15s & 16s use a small turbine engine called a Jet Fuel Starter (JFS) that is mechanical connected to the engine(s) during startup. F-22s use bleed air from the APU.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's amazing that they can blow exhaust hot enough to melt the canopy of an F16.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

F-15s & 16s use a small turbine engine called a Jet Fuel Starter (JFS) that is mechanical connected to the engine(s) during startup. F-22s use bleed air from the APU.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's enough little one-offs that I was just trying to hit the major means.  Heck, a T-38 doesn't even have an onboard way to start the motors and has to use a huffer.  A B-52 can use cans of black powder to spin up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Speaking of APU’s, there was always this bastard of an afterthought. Even though I’d rather change these over a MD-11 APU any day.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Speaking of APU’s, there was always this bastard of an afterthought. Even though I’d rather change these over a MD-11 APU any day.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31717/5195E05A-3BA1-4E68-BE01-361CA5AC815F-1330869.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31717/56A96540-1BDB-442E-B29C-97D82F198695-1330870.jpg
View Quote

They're really easy to get to if you just put them on the main deck.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They're really easy to get to if you just put them on the main deck.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66085/2764666218_698299b566_c_jpg-1330967.JPG
View Quote

That’s cheating right there!
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kind of! 135 engine mechanic here.

Theres 2 APUs in that box, with a wall dividing them. So what is easy to fix on one APU is a giant pain in the ass on the other one. Essentially doing it blind.

Im sure its better than most, though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

And great fun for the PAX if you didn't just happen to have ear defenders or headsets handy and had to make do with the spongies the loadmaster hands out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Theres 2 APUs in that box, with a wall dividing them. So what is easy to fix on one APU is a giant pain in the ass on the other one. Essentially doing it blind.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why the generator is always on number 2.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like E&Es problem!
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Jet engines are based on the Brayton Cycle, a deriviative of the Otto Cycle.

Steam Turbines and power generation is based on the Carnot Cycle.

Turbo Fans were invented to reduce noise and improve fuel efficiency.  Jet engines provide better thrust in a smaller profile but are noisy as hell.  Imagine a jet engine strapped to the wing of a 737...no one would sit behind the wings...lol
View Quote

Steam Turbines are based on the the Rankine cycle.  The Carnot cycle is an ideal cycle where the maximum efficiency of a thermal engine is achieved.

Otto cycles are internal combustion engine cycles.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have a kit to swap the generator in the road.  It would be a bad day if it came to that.  Have all system red X, will travel.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I liked the old ATM and GTC's of the old old Hercs...(NONONONO)
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Speaking of APU’s, there was always this bastard of an afterthought. Even though I’d rather change these over a MD-11 APU any day.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31717/5195E05A-3BA1-4E68-BE01-361CA5AC815F-1330869.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31717/56A96540-1BDB-442E-B29C-97D82F198695-1330870.jpg
View Quote

Thats a 727 APU aint it?

First time I saw where that thing was my first thought was "whoa, right NEXT to the damn fuel tanks????!"
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Variable Stator Vanes don't look so simple to me....

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#24]
If you think that's cool look up 2 other things.
First if its still available. Variable Ultra High Bypass Turbofan.

Second Pulse Detonation Wave Engine. Hint Follow "Flux Liner".
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thats a 727 APU aint it?

First time I saw where that thing was my first thought was "whoa, right NEXT to the damn fuel tanks????!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats a 727 APU aint it?

Yep 727.  Don't worry, it lives inside a fireproof bathtub!
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A ramjet needs no moving parts (although there may be to control the air flow) but needs a lot of speed before it works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember reading about ramjets in popular mechanics a few decades ago.  No moving parts are there?

A ramjet needs no moving parts (although there may be to control the air flow) but needs a lot of speed before it works.

Typically, yes, a ramjet needs to be traveling about Mach 3 to be lit off, a scramjet more like Mach 6.

I know the guy that has a patent to configure a ramjet to light off standing still. L-M has been trying to steal his work for years.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Efficiency makes em maintenance heavy.  F machines are pretty reliable, but the new stuff has 2000 degree firing temperatures.  Think about that for a minute.
View Quote

F Technology is old Technology.  We installed the First 501F's in Lauderdale in 1993.    G-GAC is the proven class now but, H&J Technology is where it is at.

M501JAC Specs

Fire Temps at 1600 C = 2912 F  

60 Hz
Simple Cycle 370 MW = 496,178 hp @ 42.6% efficiency
Combined Cycle 540 MW = 724,152 hp @ >63% efficiency  (1 on 1)

50 Hz
Simple Cycle 493 MW = 661,124 hp @ 42.9% efficiency
Combined Cycle 717 MW = 961,513 hp @ >63% efficiency  (1 on 1)

All off of Suck, Squeeze, Boom, Blow
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

F Technology is old Technology.  We installed the First 501F's in Lauderdale in 1993.    G-GAC is the proven class now but, H&J Technology is where it is at.

M501JAC Specs

Fire Temps at 1600 C = 2912 F  

60 Hz
Simple Cycle 370 MW = 496,178 hp @ 42.6% efficiency
Combined Cycle 540 MW = 724,152 hp @ >63% efficiency  (1 on 1)

50 Hz
Simple Cycle 493 MW = 661,124 hp @ 42.9% efficiency
Combined Cycle 717 MW = 961,513 hp @ >63% efficiency  (1 on 1)

All off of Suck, Squeeze, Boom, Blow
View Quote

Not a fan of the H, finicky, ran a new construction with 2 of them for 2 years, single shaft has ....um...unique issues. Heat rate was pretty awesome though, 6500 btu/kw

On another new one now (3x1) with the new "improved" 5000F, much more robust and proven tech. heat rate still good coming in at 6700-6800.

Been doing this for 30 years now, I remember the first plant on a good day could do 8200, with nox and co in double digits. Now we are running low single digits. Amazing improvements in just a couple of decades. Metallurgy, coatings, controls, great stuff.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There are two cables connected to each throttle, one to advance and one to retract.  They go out to the engine through a series of pulleys.

The cables connect to the main engine control, which is a hydromechanical thing that had to be designed by a madman.  It takes input from a bunch of sensors and uses pressurized fuel to move the variable stator vanes, variable bleed valves, and the fuel schedule to the rings.  The reduction in fuel flow slows the motor down and the VSVs and VBVs keep it running smoothly and efficiently.
View Quote

Fuel control units, by whatever name, are always complicated.

This particular one sounds... ummmm... more complex than most.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#30]

That’s a lot of damaged hearing right there!  The Bone is definitely on the short list for loudest plane.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ram jets have NO moving parts.   Just need a LOT of speed to compress the air enough to start the process (RAM of RamJet) & as long as you have fuel, you have thrust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember reading about ramjets in popular mechanics a few decades ago.  No moving parts are there?

You’re thinking pulse jet.

Ram jets have NO moving parts.   Just need a LOT of speed to compress the air enough to start the process (RAM of RamJet) & as long as you have fuel, you have thrust.

Yes, every ramjet except one.

Here is a link to a ramjet that can start from static and accelerate to Mach 3.

SPACE ACCESS Ejector Ramjet Engine Run

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ours is a hydro mechanical beast that was either designed by a genius or a madman.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ours is a hydro mechanical beast that was either designed by a genius or a madman.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh, brings back memories.  Trimming a fuel control for a J-52 in an EA-6B at military power will make your teeth hurt.  My ears are still ringing 48 years later.  God, I wish I could do it again.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#34]
World's simplest gas turbine
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Typically, yes, a ramjet needs to be traveling about Mach 3 to be lit off, a scramjet more like Mach 6.

I know the guy that has a patent to configure a ramjet to light off standing still. L-M has been trying to steal his work for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Though, why do I remember reading somewhere that the difference between a ramjet and a scramjet is the airflow INSIDE the ramjet is subsonic, but inside the scramjet is supersonic?   I know I'm getting old (over a half century on this mudball), but that just sticking in the brain cells for some reason.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top