Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, good on him and who is I assume his wife.

A Karen in the replies started splitting hairs how in CAPS..." Let's not forget the WOMAN, who walked over first, blah blah"

Goddamn. Always one in every bunch.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gotigers:
good job.

WWYD?
View Quote

agree -- yes he's a lib POS politically -- but at least he bothered to try to help.

i assisted a guy who jumped off a fairly low highway overpass into traffic on NC 264 coming out of Wilson NC on the way to Greenville NC.  around 2012 or so.  maybe 20'-25'.

don't know if he lived.  but we gave him assistance until EMS showed up.  he was moaning when we departed -- pretty sure he broke his legs.  he had superficially cut his own throat also.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GimpyPaw:
I was on a bridge maintenance crew with the DOT for 11 years, then another 6 years doing inspection on bridge and highway projects. Lets just say I’ve had some training and seen some aftermath.

A jumper doesn’t hesitate. They pull over, leave the car running, don’t ever bother to close the door, and they hop over the barrier.

An attention seeker sits or stands on the edge and lets emergency responders talk to them.
View Quote

This. Appears to be where two or more attn. whores met.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Kris Kross has entered the room...

"We commence to make ya (jump, jump)
The Mac Dad'll make ya (jump, jump)
The Daddy Mac'll make ya (jump, jump)
Kris Kross'll make ya (jump, jump)"
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Moon-Watcher:Never seen a suicidal person who was serious get talked out of shit.  They just do it; others are just attention whores.
View Quote

Wow. Post did not nail it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Sgt Riggs woulda jumped with her
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:34:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GimpyPaw] [#8]
Originally Posted By wienerman1961:

This. Appears to be where two or more attn. whores met.
View Quote

Not exactly my take, and I do apologize if I come across as too jaded (I am, but that’s not the point). There are jumpers, and there are attention seekers, but attention seekers can turn into jumpers if allowed to progress.

Somebody on the ledge is in need of help, and good on him for stepping up when he found himself in a position to do something.

He stumbled into an opportunity to help, and he stepped up and played the roll.  I don’t care if his motivation was compassion or fame, it worked out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The Menzingers - Freedom Bridge
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Take my hand, we'll make it, I swear
Woah-oh, livin' on a prayer
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Kujoe:
An awfully narrow view from someone who I sure had tons of experience in dealing with critical incidents.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kujoe:
Originally Posted By Moon-Watcher:
Good job, I suppose.  Never seen a suicidal person who was serious get talked out of shit.  They just do it; others are just attention whores.
An awfully narrow view from someone who I sure had tons of experience in dealing with critical incidents.

OK, fair enough. I’ll explain where I’m coming from.  Over 30 years as a LEO, dealing with many suicides, a fair share of feigned suicidal ideation and gestures, and what I already referred to as attention whores.  I’m no longer paid to care, so I come off as shrill and crass. Sorry.

I started keeping notes on incidents early on in case I decided to write a book.  Well, that hasn’t happened yet, mainly because I’m lazy and unmotivated – should’ve written the book before I retired.

Most of my early patrol experience with suicides started with calls like ‘gunshot heard in the area of…’ ‘we haven’t seen or heard from junior since…’ ‘report of a foul smell coming from …’  Some would even stiff in a fake call to 911 to get cops to come out and find their bodies.  You see, those were the serious ones, the ones who made up their minds and did what they thought was right

How serious and committed can people be in their decision to commit suicide? One very sad example involved a young Japanese girl born in America to immigrant parents, ones with very traditional values.  She was under 18 y/o and found herself pregnant.   She knew how this situation would disgrace her family, so she decided to kill herself.  She wrote an apology letter in Japanese to her parents, expressing hope that eliminating herself from the family would restore its standing.  She tied a nylon rope to the shower head, knelt down in the shower into the noose she tied off, and leaned into it.  This act took tremendous will to accomplish.

While out and about, I stopped and spoke to a transient I had known for quite a while.  He seemed to be as he always was – in a good mood and willing to tell me about the minor street crimes going on.  My partners had a stairwell taped off with crime scene tape about an hour later.  Well, to my surprise, that same transient was found on a steep maintenance stairwell and stretched his neck out a bit with a rope/noose.  He was a good 6 inches taller – must have jumped from the top step.  All his property, including his “buggy” (stolen shopping cart) were right there at the top of the stairs.

While working custody as a supervisor, I had the occasion to interview hundreds of inmates about their plights.  Overwhelmingly, the ones who claimed to be suicidal were just looking to get out of a jamb, get better housing, or avoid other inmates (largely due to drug debts).  Virtually all of the ones who actually killed themselves did so with no outward warning signs. Many who had been housed alone, smiled at the deputy doing cell checks just moments before hanging or otherwise fatally injuring themselves.

One young Hispanic guy had been arrested for murder.  He was yet another one who smiled at the deputy, then started cutting his wrists with a tiny piece of a shaving razor after the deputy walked on.  On the next cell check, that smile had been replaced with a look of horror on the inmate’s face. The deputy immediately realized that shit ain’t right, went into the cell, and found his blanket was soaked with blood. Homie didn’t know the right way to cut his wrists and survived.  His suicide note to his father was an apology for being a piece of shit son and his desire to cleanse the family of the stain.

The ones who I found the most intriguing were the inmates who had tried to goad the police into killing them – suicide by cop situations that failed.  Their main reason for what they had done was religious.  They didn’t want to offend God and foreclose any possibility of going to heaven.  Their belief was that if they weren’t the ones directly killing themselves, they were good. I ended each interview with a rhetorical question I told them not to answer.  After virtually every one of them said they believed in God and that He was all-knowing, I asked them, in retrospect, did they think God knew that forcing the hand of the police to take action really amounted to their own suicide.  I was met with stunned silence by most, as though their brains were suddenly forced to divide by zero.  A few broke down in tears.

I was also an instructor at the academy and in-service levels. Suicide prevention was one of my topics.  I taught the standard symptomology of those who decided to commit suicide: sudden peaceful demeanor, giving away their possessions, no longer threatening suicide, etc.  Part of the course was how to talk down a suicidal person who was ‘on the fence,’ so to speak.  I knew it, walked the walk, and imparted the knowledge to others.

As far as those on the street I encountered with suicidal ideation, most were clinically depressed and crying out for help. Although I still classify them as 'attention whores,' they needed help, help that I wasn't qualified to give them. All I could do was involuntarily hospitalize them, and I did it well over a hundred times. But as I got more and more time on the job, my sympathy for suicidal people diminished.  Free will and all that.  The true tragedy are the feelings of emptyness and loss the friends and families feel after a suicide, who will always ask themselves of they could have done or said something to have prevented it from happening.  Enough stories - I may write that book after all...

TLDR: old man isn't very sympathetic about suicide any more and yells at clouds for being so damn puffy and water-filled
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#12]

How serious and committed can people be in their decision to commit suicide? One very sad example involved a young Japanese girl born in America to immigrant parents, ones with very traditional values.  She was under 18 y/o and found herself pregnant.   She knew how this situation would disgrace her family, so she decided to kill herself.  She wrote an apology letter in Japanese to her parents, expressing hope that eliminating herself from the family would restore its standing.  She tied a nylon rope to the shower head, knelt down in the shower into the noose she tied off, and leaned into it.  This act took tremendous will to accomplish.
View Quote

The level of self discipline some Japanese are capable of never ceases to amaze me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I was on a bridge maintenance crew with the DOT for 11 years, then another 6 years doing inspection on bridge and highway projects. Lets just say I’ve had some training and seen some aftermath.

A jumper doesn’t hesitate. They pull over, leave the car running, don’t ever bother to close the door, and they hop over the barrier.

An attention seeker sits or stands on the edge and lets emergency responders talk to them.
View Quote

I picked one up once, he had planned ahead.  He tied a rope around the seat support in his car, so (we suppose) he would jump, rope would get tight , and break his neck.  We (the recovery team) could simply use the rope to draw him back over the edge of the bridge since that would be nicer than having to get to the brush covered island 300 feet down

I wondered what his head thought as it ripped off his body and followed it to the ground below.

A hint, if you are well over 300 lbs, a 3/8 inch rope is going to act more like a cable than a rubber band after you drop 30 feet and it gets tight suddenly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Attention seekers do hesitate, but there are cases where people change their mind while on the ledge and do jump.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By rob78:

Third side " I call dibs on your guns".
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rob78:
Originally Posted By zaskar017:
Classic GD/internet suicide thread.

One side: hey man, if you’re really thinking about hurting yourself, don’t do it. Get some help. Talk to someone.

Other side: -sees someone on a ledge- fucking attention whore.

Third side " I call dibs on your guns".

Forth side "Bon Jovi is a boomer, must be fake news."
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, if he saves about a million more he might make up for all the dead victims of violent crime he's helped generate by supporting retarded gun laws.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Bon Jovi - I'll Be There For You
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

They've interviewed survivors who jumped from the Golden Gate and almost everyone of them said that they immediate regretted it as soon as they stepped off.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SamBoga:
View Quote

Not sure I agree with that. DLR saved lives for a living when he was an FDNY paramedic.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:

They've interviewed survivors who jumped from the Golden Gate and almost everyone of them said that they immediate regretted it as soon as they stepped off.
View Quote

Gravity has a way of sending a strong message real fast.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By lumper:

I picked one up once, he had planned ahead.  He tied a rope around the seat support in his car, so (we suppose) he would jump, rope would get tight , and break his neck.  We (the recovery team) could simply use the rope to draw him back over the edge of the bridge since that would be nicer than having to get to the brush covered island 300 feet down

I wondered what his head thought as it ripped off his body and followed it to the ground below.

A hint, if you are well over 300 lbs, a 3/8 inch rope is going to act more like a cable than a rubber band after you drop 30 feet and it gets tight suddenly.
View Quote

And I bet he left his door open. Not sure what’s up with that, but I never see a suicide where the guy closed his car door.  Could be that all the ones I see are on a highway or major bridge.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Mr. Bovine Joni is a turd.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By LRShooter:
Yeah, good for him.  
I can't help but notice the other people that just kept walking.  WTF.
View Quote

What could they do?
What could you do?

It's not a spectator sport.
Give them space, and see if it works out well.

Jay
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Good job, I suppose.  Never seen a suicidal person who was serious get talked out of shit.  They just do it; others are just attention whores.
View Quote

Tell us you know zero about the subject without actually saying it.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By spork:
In contrast, Phil Collins watched a guy drown.
View Quote

Can't tell if you're trolling or you think that.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Oh look, another person ignorant on the subject.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By FlyLeaf:
Liberal pos he is

View Quote

So you judge him by his politics, not his actions or his humanity?  I really don't want to associate with people like you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By txinvestigator:

View All Quotes

Want to compare resumes, pookie?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Oh look, another person ignorant on the subject.
View Quote

Brother, I may not have a PhD in the subject, but I’ve rigged man baskets to haul a body up from below Shepherds Dale Bridge. I was on a project on the Fremont where I thought the laborers were going to have PTSD from the number of times people juped right in front of them. I’ve responded to a call only to find a guy who needed two different body blankets because the tires of the semi he ran in front of split him in two.

I’ve been on scene for more than my share of these events. If they are still on the bridge when emergency crews arrive, in my limited experience, 100% of them get pulled back. That includes the naked guy that was ready to jump, but fell for the old “You need a beer?” trick.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I’d ask who she was voting for first.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top