Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Feather blades......use no pressure when starting with them.   If you are used to using pressure you will likely get weepers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
almost embarrassed to say I use the dollar store blades and they work fine.
I run both sides of a new blade through a wine cork before using after seeing some sorta tip online - seems to deburr and get some of that new sharp blade harshness out
View Quote
Those are likely Dorcos from Korea if my memory is correct.   Rebranded of course.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I use mine for my head and my face.

It's nice on my head because if I don't shave it for a few days, the hair will completely jam up a disposable 3 blade razor. On my face, I don't think my setup necessarily is a closer shave, but it doesn't leave my face as fucked up as shaving 5-6 days a week with disposables did.

Plus I bought a 100pk of astra blades for $10 about 4 years ago and I'm only like 3/4 of the way through them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I went from an electric to a mercur w/ feather blades and Taylor of Old Bond Street cream.  I didn't have any problems cutting myself. I dont know how some of you guys manage to generate so much blood and gore while shaving.

I thought I read somewhere you want an open comb  safety razor for shaving and trimming coarse beards.  (?)  I dont have a coarse beard, but several have mentioned it in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I like Harrys blades.
No, not safety razor. Those cause irritation for me.

Harrys is great.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't  see any saftey razors for sale at the grocery store.

Are these now a mail order thing only ?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
The TOBS Sandalwood Cream is my favorite. You did good starting with that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
You should be able to find the van der Hagen at Walmart, target, and many drug stores. I got mine at cvs pharmacy for $10

Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
After making the switch myself around ten years ago, I could not figure out why men ever moved away from safety razors. I used personas for years but I recently switched to Astra blades and I think they are feel smoother as I shave. I shave right after a hot shower and only use hot water as my shaving medium. Saves even more time/money and works fine for me.
View Quote
Do you know that ASTRA is part of Gillette/P&G?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#10]
According to the SJW crew you are not the best a man can get
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Edwin jagger de89, and Astra Superior Platinum blades for me. Swapped about 5 years ago and never looked back.
View Quote
@hobs98

Astra is part of the Gillette family.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Feather definitely puts the "holy hell I didn't know I could bleed from that damn many places" back into shaving.  

I still like mine anyway.
View Quote
I heard this a lot when I swapped to a safety razor.

Even with Feather, very rare for me to nick myself.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can buy Van der Hagen handles, blades and multiple varieties of soaps, foams, creams and brushes at Wal-mart, Target, Meijer (midwestern store), Walgreens, CVS, etc.

I’ve used the Van der Hagen stuff with success.  It’s decent, for only a few bucks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's not about refinement. At least not for many (most?).

Modern cartridge based razors use a printer cartridge style business model. They get you using their system with a combo package that looks like a good deal, then they proceed to rob you with the cost of cartridge refills.

With DE razors, you are paying a one time expense of $20-30 for a handle that can last your entire life, and then you're using inexpensive blades for the foreseeable future. Everything else is option. People can and do use DE razors with regular aerosol shaving cream like Barbasol or whatever. There are soaps that work well and are also cheaper that aerosol creams, too.

For some guys, it's a weird fetish thing, but for a lot of us, it's about reducing long term costs while getting a decent shave.
View Quote
That.

I also got a better result shaving.  Its rare to have any redness or bumps.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Used merkur blade.  Didn't bleed near as bad as I was expecting.  Just had one little knick.
View Quote
A nick here, a nick there and soon you have hamburger.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Shaving anywhere near the edges of the lip often resulted in some serious bleeding.  Somehow this was an exponentially higher risk if you had some important event like a job interview, wedding, date, etc.  Almost like the grim reaper of shave time.
View Quote
I've always said that the ability to cut myself shaving only happens at the times I need to wear a white dress shirt and tie.

Last May, I was invited to do a meet & greet with the Governor of Alabama.  Since this was a formal event and there were going to be pictures, I decided to dress up in my three piece suit and look good.  I shaved a couple of hours before I needed to get dressed, and cut a bump on my neck while shaving.  No problem, I used my styptic pencil and the bleeding stopped.  But when getting dressed, I scraped the scab off the cut and bled all over the edge of the collar of my white dress shirt!  A lot of frantic scrubbing got most of the blood off my collar, and I put a flesh tone bandaid on my neck under the collar edge to keep from bleeding on it again.

Sigh.  That never happens if i'm not wearing a white dress shirt.....
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#17]
If you guys are looking for a really nice DE razor that won't break the bank check these guys out.  I have both the Mamba and the newer GameChanger.  The mamba is very mild and smooth but it is also very efficient.  The gamechanger is slightly more aggressive.  Really good CNC's stainless steel, made in Canada and nice and heavy.  I prefer the radio knob handle style but i have the halo handle on the Mamba.

http://www.razorock.com/?buynow=razors
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Used merkur blade.  Didn't bleed near as bad as I was expecting.  Just had one little knick.
View Quote
Merkur is my favorite. I didn't care for Feathers. Check out West Coast Shaving's blade packs so you can find the best one for you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Been using a safety razor for years. Saves so much money and shaves much better as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Have used the same Edwin Jagger for years.....once every year or so I buy derby blades on eBay ...I tried multiple shaving soaps and have several badger brushes and don’t use them. For me I shave immediately after showering, before I dry off I apply barabsol to face, fill the sink with hot water and shave. Yes Barbasol.......
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd gladly spend $500 a year to be able to shave in the shower in about 2 minutes with no cuts. Maybe my beard just isn't that tough, but I do have to shave every day. I don't have time to lay out my accoutrements like a French cheese tray. Plus a Mach 3 lasts me 2-4 weeks, so I'm not paying even 30 bucks a year. My Mach 3 handle is literally 20 years old. I don't like Gillette's recent marketing, but I don't think it's worth my time or effort to change.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not about refinement. At least not for many (most?).

Modern cartridge based razors use a printer cartridge style business model. They get you using their system with a combo package that looks like a good deal, then they proceed to rob you with the cost of cartridge refills.

With DE razors, you are paying a one time expense of $20-30 for a handle that can last your entire life, and then you're using inexpensive blades for the foreseeable future. Everything else is option. People can and do use DE razors with regular aerosol shaving cream like Barbasol or whatever. There are soaps that work well and are also cheaper that aerosol creams, too.

For some guys, it's a weird fetish thing, but for a lot of us, it's about reducing long term costs while getting a decent shave.
I'd gladly spend $500 a year to be able to shave in the shower in about 2 minutes with no cuts. Maybe my beard just isn't that tough, but I do have to shave every day. I don't have time to lay out my accoutrements like a French cheese tray. Plus a Mach 3 lasts me 2-4 weeks, so I'm not paying even 30 bucks a year. My Mach 3 handle is literally 20 years old. I don't like Gillette's recent marketing, but I don't think it's worth my time or effort to change.

Assuming you shave frequently, your Mach 3 cartridges are not staying sharp for 2-4 weeks. You might be hanging on to them that long (I know I did when I was a PV2/PFC in the Army trying to save money), but that doesn't mean they're actually good for that long.

With DE blades costing $0.10 or so a piece, it's much easier to just dump a blade when you're not sure if it's good anymore.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Welcome to the club.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm putting together a shave set too.

I started with the "Van Der Hagen Luxury Shave Set," which has that round soap for a cup, the cup and a brush to apply the soap.
I also got an extra Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap - 2.5 oz and a Proraso Shaving Soap, Ultra Sensitive Skin - 5.2 oz.

At this point I need a safety razor and blades. The Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Classic 2-Piece Double Edge Safety Razor looks good. The classic 2-piece design is what my father used for years. He never went with the butterfly opener. For blades, he used Wilkinson Sword and Feather, probably whichever was on sale.

Full disclosure: When the 2-blade Atra came out my dad ditched the safety razor and went with the Atra. I started with the 2-blade Atra in high school, and eventually went with the 3-bladed Mach 3, which I really liked. I used a Mach 3 for years, before switching to the Fusion about 6 years ago.

My dad was happy with the 2-blade Atra for 30 years until his death. I was happy with the 3-blade Mach 3 for decades and just tried the 5-blade Fusion for fun. Now I use the Fusion. I have a beard, so I only shave the bottom area of my neck and the area just above the beard on cheeks. As a result, the Fusion blades last forever. I get about a year out of a Fusion blade. I only shave twice a week, which is probably why they last so long.

Any advice on a safety razor and blades? I probably want the 2-piece razor unless someone can convince me a butterfly is better.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Assuming you shave frequently, your Mach 3 cartridges are not staying sharp for 2-4 weeks. You might be hanging on to them that long (I know I did when I was a PV2/PFC in the Army trying to save money), but that doesn't mean they're actually good for that long.

With DE blades costing $0.10 or so a piece, it's much easier to just dump a blade when you're not sure if it's good anymore.
View Quote
I hear what y'all are saying but the time difference and the chance at cuts prevents me from switching. I don't know if my blades stay that sharp or not. I shave every morning in the shower. I shave by feel only. I go at it like I'm painting a house. I shave against the grain and keep swiping until it's smooth. I'll time it next time I do it, but I would say it's under 120 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Any advice on a safety razor and blades? I probably want the 2-piece razor unless someone can convince me a butterfly is better.
View Quote
@mattja

Butterfly is just faster/easier to load.

Buy a sample pack of blades and try them out. Blade choice is very subjective. You will get different answers from anyone you ask.

Check this out. At the bottom there is a chart that shows the sharpness of each blade.

http://www.razoremporium.com/double-edge-safety-razor-blade-sample-pack-complete/
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@mattja

Buy a sample pack of blades and try them out. Blade choice is very subjective. You will get different answers from anyone you ask.

Check this out. At the bottom there is a chart that shows the sharpness of each blade.

http://www.razoremporium.com/double-edge-safety-razor-blade-sample-pack-complete/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@mattja

@TimeOnTarget

Cool, thanks. That's a very useful link.

I have read complaints about butterflies coming loose, even if you hand-tighten the crap out of them and it just gets worse with time.

I tend to keep things like that forever, so if the 2-piece will never come loose, I would probably prefer it.

But the cool thing about the butterfly is you may not have to touch the blade to discard it, which should prevent cuts. I take a blood thinner and bleed forever as a result, so I tend not to like to get cut.

Any particular safety razor brand or model?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Any particular safety razor brand or model?
View Quote
@mattja

You are very welcome.

I have several vintage DE razors; Gillette $1.98 or "Fat Boy" adjustable and SLIM adjustable twist to open razors that I really like.

You don't have to spend a lot of money. Parker, Merkur, and others won't break the bank. I would watch some YouTube vids to get an idea.

I bought a Van Der Hagen from WalMart for $17 that works just fine just to see if I wanted to really get into this venture. It is made in China, but you won't cry if you lose it.

I use a Parker travel razor on the road that cost about $30.

Check out West Coast Shaving and Razor Emporium to get an idea of what is available.

I am fighting the urge to go way down the rabbit hole.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#29]
My safety razor is a Gillette :( But it was Grand Dad's so I'll keep it. He said he had it in WW2 but who knows. I still shave with it and I have his mug and brush in a "cuterment" cabinet.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My safety razor is a Gillette :( But it was Grand Dad's so I'll keep it. He said he had it in WW2 but who knows. I still shave with it and I have his mug and brush in a "cuterment" cabinet.
View Quote
I love my vintage Gillette razors.

It is too bad that the Russian Astra Greens are owned by Gillette. They are a good all around blade for beginners.

I like the Russian Voskhod blades which are not a Gillette company.

1959 E1 $1.98 "Fat Boy" Antique store find for $10 getting restored by North Shore Razors right now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Well bless your heart.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Those are likely Dorcos from Korea if my memory is correct.   Rebranded of course.
View Quote
They work well for a buck for a 5 pack.
When I first started safety razoring I inherited a bunch from grandfathers, parents buying them in box lots at auctions so I have never made any big effort in buying anything. I use the 3 buck cake shaving soap from Walmart, cheap dollar store blades and a assortment of free razors.
I use the big fat handled tiger teeth one in the bunch shown]

The silver stars pictured did cut me up and found the adjustable razor tore me up as well - the brass tiger teeth ones work well
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I have one of those cheap Van Der Hagen razors with Wilkenson Sword blades. Best shave I ever had. At some point I'll probably get a better quality razor.

I'm not giving up my Barbasol though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I started with a safety razor because of this site. I'll never go back!
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It is too bad that the Russian Astra Greens are owned by Gillette. They are a good all around blade for beginners.

1959 E1 $1.98 "Fat Boy" Antique store find for $10 getting restored by North Shore Razors right now.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432675/59_Fat_Boy_jpg-844601.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432675/59_Fat_Boy_jpg-844601.JPG
Whoa, you're getting a razor restored? Must be a true believer.

What's the adjustment for? It can adjust for closeness? That's not common, is it?

What's next for you? Vintage 19th century straight-edge razors with a leather strop?
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 7:19:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
When I first started safety razoring I inherited a bunch from grandfathers, parents buying them in box lots at auctions so I have never made any big effort in buying anything. I use the 3 buck cake shaving soap from Walmart, cheap dollar store blades and a assortment of free razors.
I use the big fat handled tiger teeth one in the bunch shown]http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp153/bucknailer63/coleman%20stuff/colemanstuff093.jpg

The silver stars pictured did cut me up and found the adjustable razor tore me up as well - the brass tiger teeth ones work well
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use the big fat handled tiger teeth one in the bunch shown]http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp153/bucknailer63/coleman%20stuff/colemanstuff093.jpg

How come that one has such a short handle?

ETA DAMN! Some of you guys take this stuff seriously! Now I feel like I've been missing out, like when everyone said I just had to try a CZ 75 B. I did and bought one the next day.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#37]
I straight razor on weekends and have been using a safety razor on weekdays for two years.  Not only is a great shave it’s really cheap.  Good job OP.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Welcome to the club.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Whoa, you're getting a razor restored? Must be a true believer.

What's the adjustment for? It can adjust for closeness? That's not common, is it?

What's next for you? Vintage 19th century straight-edge razors with a leather strop?
View Quote
Restraint has never been one of my stronger qualities.

Yes, the adjustables allow you to vary the aggression of the blade. These were huge sellers for over a decade. They are a quality old school American made product.

Like guns, this hobby can quickly take you down the rabbit hole. I enjoy it!
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

But the cool thing about the butterfly is you may not have to touch the blade to discard it, which should prevent cuts. I take a blood thinner and bleed forever as a result, so I tend not to like to get cut.
View Quote
Not really.

Neither style requires you to handle the razor blades in a manner that exposes you to cuts.  The blades themselves are only sharp on two sides.  The ends are just thin, blunt pieces of steel.

I have both styles of razors, and the "handling" aspect is virtually identical.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Been doing DE for a few years now and love it. I got frisky and tried a Feather shavette and was leaking pretty badly the first time I used it.  I've since learned how to not cut myself with it but I have to go so slowly that it doesn't get much use.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top