Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn’t buy a Kimber with your money.

I’d buy a Taurus before I bought a Kimber.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A short break in period isn't ridiculous, and I'm willing to put up with it. I've had ARs, both home builds and factory rifles that jammed every round for half a magazine, then once the roughness got worn off ran perfectly from there on out.

But a 400 or 800 round break in period? Give me a break, if it takes that long to wear a little surface finish down on the highest spots then there's something wrong with how you're speccing your parts or processes.
View Quote

Kimber has been like that...forever.

I think their target demographic is low info rich people with more money than brains.

Probably the same people who buy HK roller lock guns...

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
All 1911s are jam o matic garbage.
View Quote

This isn’t true but...I know a guy who takes a class or two every year and teaches a few handgun classes every year. He’s a serious 1911 collector, you know, the kind of guy who can buy whatever he wants?

He has seen a lot of people bring 1911’s to classes and if I recall correctly, he has seen every one of them fail before the class was over.

He trains and teaches with a Glock.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Or just buy a real .45 like a Glock or a Hk that never needs a break-in.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a Kimber where they cut the mag well at the wrong angle slightly.

It didn't work for fuck. Kimber Warrior. I dumped hundreds of hours into it trying to rebuild it into something that worked before I realized it was a frame issue.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish they worked as good as they looked I'd have several. I thought I was doing something when I shelled out 1100+ for my Kimber at the time I was naive in the gun world but I learned that Kimber was all hype.

I've been lucky with my colts but I'm realizing 1911's aren't for everyone. They look and shoot great but it takes a lot of effort and care to really run them on a consistent basis.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, here are some things you can do.

field strip the gun and put some polishing compound on the slide rails, then put just the slide and frame together and work them back and forth for a long time, add polishing compound occasionally.

You can also use a dremmel with a felt wheel and polishing compound on the surfaces that move against each other.

Also polish places where the cartridges make contact, like the feed ramp/throat.

Anywhere you see wear on parts from cycling is where you can polish on them.

It's normal for CHEAP new gun to have some break in issues de to mass production methods, but it's not so normal for high end stuff to have these same issues (except for Kimber).

That's why people pay more for higher end guns, the parts are supposed to be finished with more care.

Deburring rough spots, radiusing corners, making sure the parts fit right...stuff like that.

The thing with Kimber is they make the parts fit TOO close, so there is not enough clearance if dirt (etc) gets in the action, and since the parts already fit so close, if there are variances in manufacturing (there always are) then there can be clearance issues, especially if tolerances stack.

Since Kimber is designed to have very small clearances, then tolerance stacking can be a serious issue.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had a Kimber where they cut the mag well at the wrong angle slightly.

It didn't work for fuck. Kimber Warrior. I dumped hundreds of hours into it trying to rebuild it into something that worked before I realized it was a frame issue.
View Quote

A Kimber Desert Warrior was the reason I quit collecting 1911s and sold them all.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This isn’t true but...I know a guy who takes a class or two every year and teaches a few handgun classes every year. He’s a serious 1911 collector, you know, the kind of guy who can buy whatever he wants?

He has seen a lot of people bring 1911’s to classes and if I recall correctly, he has seen every one of them fail before the class was over.

He trains and teaches with a Glock.

View Quote

FAKE NEWS
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I went on a Kimber buying binge years ago. Best money I spent that year. I think I have 6 or 7 and NONE of them has had an issue.
View Quote

Some people get suckered once, maybe twice.

Some people drink the Koolaid.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
kimbers are junk

sorry to put it so blunt, but there it is.

View Quote

Any gun that requires a "break-in" period is garbage.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:25:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Kimber is the Bose of firearms.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:42:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

field strip the gun and put some polishing compound on the slide rails, then put just the slide and frame together and work them back and forth for a long time, add polishing compound occasionally.

You can also use a dremmel with a felt wheel and polishing compound on the surfaces that move against each other.

Also polish places where the cartridges make contact, like the feed ramp/throat.

It's normal for CHEAP new gun to have some break in issues de to mass production methods, but it's not so normal for high end stuff to have these same issues (except for Kimber).

Good post.
That's why people pay more for higher end guns, the parts are supposed to be finished with more care.

Deburring rough spots, radiusing corners, making sure the parts fit right...stuff like that.

The thing with Kimber is they make the parts fit TOO close, so there is not enough clearance if dirt (etc) gets in the action, and since the parts already fit so close, if there are variances in manufacturing (there always are) then there can be clearance issues, especially if tolerances stack.

Since Kimber is designed to have very small clearances, then tolerance stacking can be a serious issue.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:50:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Kimber is the Bose of firearms.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:54:27 AM EDT
[#15]
A good gun should never have a break in period
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:08:05 AM EDT
[#16]
1911’s are cool, pretty and all, but are well known to need a lot of work to run reliably, if they ever do.  This is very prevalent at any USPSA match.  The 1911 guys seldom make it through a match without a few malfunctions and subsequent cursing.  In Production, CZ, Glock, HK, and Smith rule the day.  They even have good representation in Limited.

You can make fun of the ugly, clunky Glocks all you want, but they tend to be reliable right out of the box and stay that way.  That’s not to say there aren’t reliable 1911’s out there, reliability and 1911 just aren’t a common thing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:12:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All 1911s are jam o matic garbage.
View Quote

Talking Lead, James Yeager, and a 1911 ??
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:08:45 AM EDT
[#18]
My experience with Kimber is limited to a pool of three gun. An early Target model, and early Super Match, and a Gold Target II circa 2006.

All three guns have been reliable and without issue. They all fed 185 grain and 200 grain LSWCs, as well as my shrinking supply of flying ashtrays. Generally if a gun will feed those, they will feed anything. I have never subjected a gun to a break in period except my DCM gun, and always thought the idea was bullshit.

I can't speak to the quality of today's guns, but have been happy with the ones I own. In a pool of 20 pistols of various makes, I have had only one turd in the punchbowl... It wasn't a Kimber. The GI guns all ran because of loose tolerances. Your more modern versions are all tightened up, and can be less forgiving. The cheapest solution is to try different magazines.

Next would be making sure your extractor is cut and tensioned properly. As a matter of course, I always check and set a new gun's extractor to 30 ounces.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:47:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think their target demographic is low info rich people with more money than brains.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A short break in period isn't ridiculous, and I'm willing to put up with it. I've had ARs, both home builds and factory rifles that jammed every round for half a magazine, then once the roughness got worn off ran perfectly from there on out.

But a 400 or 800 round break in period? Give me a break, if it takes that long to wear a little surface finish down on the highest spots then there's something wrong with how you're speccing your parts or processes.

At least roller lockers work.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:41:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You literally just answered your own question.
1911's run great when they're loose, but we have this fascination with making them NOT loose. If you do that without a lot of careful adjustment and skilled labor it takes time to wear in and may never be reliable. On the other hand, some folks get lucky and they work great right from the start because everything worked out.
Buying tightly built but not hand fitted and dialed in 1911's is an exercise in frustration for a lot of folks, not just with Kimbers.

Personally I've been happy with my Kimber and know several others who are equally happy, but we all bought models that get more post production attention. Likewise, I've been very happy with Springfield Armory's Loaded line from about twenty years ago and the stainless milspec I used as a project gun. Both ran well and were accurate enough, but were loose enough to not start choking if there was any dust or a slightly long or short round compared to their ideal.

People forget that the pistol was originally designed as a military pistol with plenty of rattle and room for dirt to not gum up the works. Gunsmiths tightening them up did so carefully and with attention to keeping things smooth and aligned properly. They often left most of the gaps intact and only tightened up several contact points to increase accuracy without taking away the room for dust and dirt to have room without jamming. Modern "tight" built production pistols don't do this and can easily jam up with anything that gets in there. Building a tight 1911 that's also reliable isn't impossible, but as a mass production item it's difficult. It's not an accident that most modern production guns that are considered super reliable are also the ones that have short rail sections front and back rather than full length sections.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You literally just answered your own question.
1911's run great when they're loose, but we have this fascination with making them NOT loose. If you do that without a lot of careful adjustment and skilled labor it takes time to wear in and may never be reliable. On the other hand, some folks get lucky and they work great right from the start because everything worked out.
Buying tightly built but not hand fitted and dialed in 1911's is an exercise in frustration for a lot of folks, not just with Kimbers.

Personally I've been happy with my Kimber and know several others who are equally happy, but we all bought models that get more post production attention. Likewise, I've been very happy with Springfield Armory's Loaded line from about twenty years ago and the stainless milspec I used as a project gun. Both ran well and were accurate enough, but were loose enough to not start choking if there was any dust or a slightly long or short round compared to their ideal.

People forget that the pistol was originally designed as a military pistol with plenty of rattle and room for dirt to not gum up the works. Gunsmiths tightening them up did so carefully and with attention to keeping things smooth and aligned properly. They often left most of the gaps intact and only tightened up several contact points to increase accuracy without taking away the room for dust and dirt to have room without jamming. Modern "tight" built production pistols don't do this and can easily jam up with anything that gets in there. Building a tight 1911 that's also reliable isn't impossible, but as a mass production item it's difficult. It's not an accident that most modern production guns that are considered super reliable are also the ones that have short rail sections front and back rather than full length sections.

Quoted:

Thanks for the actual informal post here. Also OP may want to search the 1911forum(.)com, lots of long term users who share their experiences with actual technical detail.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a TLE II it ran real good. Got bored and sold it, never had to break it in.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#22]
My Kimber TLE/RL II has ran flawlessly for 15 years.  It’s very accurate.  I run Chip McCormick mags in it.  I’ve never had a feeding or extraction problem.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Did you own 3 of them?
View Quote

Yes. Circa 2004-2008. TLE without a rail, TLE RL II, and another one whose model name I don't recall that had an awesome-looking satin nickel finish.

I've also owned Colt and Springfield 1911s. None were perfect but the Kimbers were the most finicky by far.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Before you shoot anymore ammo or sell it, consider trying a different magazine(s).
The Trip/Cobra 7 rd flush fit has worked for me in any 45 acp 1911 I've tried.
Tripp 7 round flush fit magazine
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I have two Kimber micro 9s. They have been good and reliable. My brother has a full size Kimber, No issues.
A friend has or had a Kimber solo, worthless piece of junk. A co worker had a stainless model that would rust.  So your milage may vary appernltly
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
kimbers are junk

View Quote

Agree.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#27]
My first Kimber took somewhere between 200-300 rounds to break in. After that, no issues at all for over 14000 rounds.

My second Kimber took less than 100. No issues over the last 500.

I had 3 Springfields that did not get sorted after 1000+ rounds - accuracy issues, feeding issues. The two Mil Specs I own have been perfect from the git/go.

My Colt Competition had ejection issues that took a trip back to Colt to fix. 5 weeks later it comes back perfect.

My small sample test does not tip the scales against Kimber and in favor of SA. The two Kimbers I have are damn good pistols.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#28]
To continue in this train of thought, Les Baers must be POS pistols because Les states up front that it has a 500 round break in period.

Funny how so many people have expert opinions about the quality and reliability of 1911s based on what few they have seen, what they have heard from friends, and what they have watched on YT. My opinion and experience (again a small sample of one) is based on shooting 1911s for 55 years and all other brands for over 40, and my 1911s have been the most reliable pistols I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes. Circa 2004-2008. TLE without a rail, TLE RL II, and another one whose model name I don't recall that had an awesome-looking satin nickel finish.

I've also owned Colt and Springfield 1911s. None were perfect but the Kimbers were the most finicky by far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you own 3 of them?

You bought three even though you thought they were unreliable garbage?  

I just don’t understand.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You bought three even though you thought they were unreliable garbage?  

I just don’t understand.
View Quote

Hell, I had five at one time.

My excuse was I had family that worked there and the deals available were phenomenal.

End of the day, they weren’t worth it. Meh, I tried.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
kimbers are junk

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
kimbers are junk

View Quote

I know this is the general opinion of Kimber but absolutely love my Kimber revolver. Accurate and tight as hell. Maybe I got lucky or maybe Kimber revolvers are immune from the Kimber 1911 issues.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Any gun that requires a "break-in" period is garbage.  

View Quote

Dan Wesson disagrees

So do I. My Dan Wesson Valor 10mm required a break in period and field stripping after every 50 rounds.

It’s FAR from garbage.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#34]
These don't require break in periods

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I had 2 Colt 1911 and one RIA also two SA. Colts ran fine out of the box.  I traded a Range Officer like a dumbass best gun I ever shot super accurate. The Rock not so much malfunctioned every range trip sold it back. Now I want another
1911 but money is scarce so I looked at reviews and read anything on 1911's  I could find.  The SDS TISAS B45R 1911 Duty is the one I'm buying.  I just put it on layaway this week.   I handled it felt smooth
looks well put together. Has all the features trigger, beaver tail , 3 dot sights , rail , hammer , series 70. Plus it has forged barrel , slide and frame all for $549.  I hope it is as good as it sounds if it is I'll buy the Tanker model which is a commander size.  I thought about a Kimber but I have heard too much negativity about them for years. The said my buddy has a Kimber just loves it.  Whenever I get the Tisas B45 R I'll post about it when I can get to the range.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
kimbers are junk

View Quote

This^
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Neither do semi-autos which aren’t steaming piles of shit, but ok.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Kimber makes a lovely looking pistol..
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#39]

That's pretty funny because the SWPC has been a massive POS since Liebenberg left many years ago.  They used to put out world class pistols but now it's just one turd after another.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#40]
My Kimber Micro 9 has run like a raped ape straight out of the box, no break in period.

Now the finish is a different story. Their Cerakote sucks ass. It started wearing off fast in areas that make a solid contact in my leather holster. It's the black and tan model. Now I'm going to have to get it re-coated locally when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
kimbers are junk

View Quote

That sounds like a kimber!
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top