Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2019 9:20:11 PM EDT
They aren’t a walk in the park , that’s for sure !
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had open surgery on one, and been told I'm a candidate for full replacement someday.

Ah well. At least we are 21st century Americans!
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice zipper job
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I am getting a new patellar  ligament
In 14 days.

Not sure what to think about about this.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Do. Your. Rehab.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, 3 years and I'll be in the club.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah, that brings back memories.

I loved the staple removal, especially the 1/3 which seemed to embed in my flesh.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine is a bit more complex than the normal 'have no cartilage' type replacement.

FWIW - folks I know who've been through the less invasive type are generally up and walking within 48 hours.  If not almost right after.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do. Your. Rehab.
View Quote
This. As long as you follow the routine, it will be good as new surprisingly quickly. Had a coworker who was a hardcore mointainbiker and skier with bad knees. After recovering from his first replacement surgery, he couldn’t wait to get his second one replaced! He was back to shredding crazy quick for such an invasive surgery.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Things changed quite a bit in ten years.

80-90 percent of our patients are out the day after.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mine is a bit more complex than the normal 'have no cartilage' type replacement.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2lc4llw.jpg

FWIW - folks I know who've been through the less invasive type are generally up and walking within 48 hours.  If not almost right after.
View Quote
Impressive!
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:19:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Did both of mine at the same time, never took any pain meds and no staples or stitches all super glue almost 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:21:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Had two on the same leg. Revision.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:23:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Got two in the near future.  Almost died from the last knee surgery, so it’s not something I’m looking forward to.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:48:48 AM EDT
[#14]
My uncle had one replaced. He waited too long and fucked the other one up favoring the damaged one. Kicking himself for waiting so long.  Walks nearly pain free now.  Hope your recovery goes smoothly!
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:37:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm having both of mine done as soon as I get cleared for surgery.

3D printed jigs and 45 minutes per knee, likely out the same day.  The technology has certainly changed since the first time the surgery was suggested to me 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:46:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I can’t wait to get mine replaced. My zipper job...Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
Holy shit ! What happened, if I may ask ?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My uncle had one replaced. He waited too long and fucked the other one up favoring the damaged one. Kicking himself for waiting so long.  Walks nearly pain free now.  Hope your recovery goes smoothly!
View Quote
Thank you !
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Whoa ! Does that have hydraulic pistons ?  Did you have a bad accident? That looks painful.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Did both of mine at the same time, never took any pain meds and no staples or stitches all super glue almost 3 years ago.
View Quote
Damn. Mine was excruciating.

It was going to be a double but they said one at a time. After the right was fixed the left, that had previous meniscus tear and was cleaned up, improved significantly. It still crunches though and I think I baby my knees because I don't want to have surgery.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Got two in the near future.  Almost died from the last knee surgery, so it's not something I'm looking forward to.
View Quote
What happened?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Those fucking staples are the worst!
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What happened?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got two in the near future.  Almost died from the last knee surgery, so it's not something I'm looking forward to.
What happened?
My guess would be infection. It's a serious concern with this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well that's interesting.

Are those screws in the plate going into the rod in the femur?

I've got a hip to knee femoral rod and a plate alongside my knee.  Plate is screwed into bone below the rod, but wire wrapped alongside the femur.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been in talks with my doc about doing my left knee recently,  my original is just about done.

That looks like it SUCKS.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Our standard is for te patient to walk with a walker on the day of surgery. As soon as the block wears off.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep. This is the current trend.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Our standard is for te patient to walk with a walker on the day of surgery. As soon as the block wears off.
View Quote
That's how my Quad Sparing Technique surgery went.  Walked with a walker a few hours after surgery and went home.  Total knee replacement with a 3 1/2" incision.

The electric knee bending machine I took home hurt good.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What happened?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happened?
Saddle pulmonary embolism.  Doc said one that size and location is about a 3% survival rate.  Had my first PT ten days after surgery and got a little short of breath that night walking into another room.  Went away quickly, then had a pain in my back and flu like symptoms the next day.  Got lucky with a quick thinking PA. a young ER nurse not a year out of school and a Colombian vascular surgeon that looked too young to shave.
Meant to add, this was an orthoscopic surgery to repair and remove meniscus and smoothing out arthritis to delay a replacement for three or four years.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Beats the hell out of ACL surgery.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Saddle pulmonary embolism.  Doc said one that size and location is about a 3% survival rate.  Had my first PT ten days after surgery and got a little short of breath that night walking into another room.  Went away quickly, then had a pain in my back and flu like symptoms the next day.  Got lucky with a quick thinking PA. a young ER nurse not a year out of school and a Colombian vascular surgeon that looked too young to shave.
Meant to add, this was an orthoscopic surgery to repair and remove meniscus and smoothing out arthritis to delay a replacement for three or four years.
View Quote
Wow I've had 2 of those surgeries before the replacement.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty rare from what I understand.  I was treated like a rock star when I went back to PT, and I’m still pretty popular with my orthopedic doctor and his staff now.  I had therapists and nurses coming around from all over the building after they found out what happened. I’d rather been known for having joints like a teenager.  I will say, getting your sternum sawed in half makes you forget your other aches and pains.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 12:27:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I had a knee scoped twice for torn meniscus. The second time they took the meniscus out completely. Seven years of bone on bone wear later it just got too sore to get around.

When I had the total replacement I asked for a super glue closure because I thought that since I was going to PT, I didn't  want staples being pull points when I bent the knee. Super glue is the bomb.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lucky man,  my grandmother passed from that very thing the day after a knee surgery back in the 1980s.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I had a knee scoped twice for torn meniscus. The second time they took the meniscus out completely. Seven years of bone on bone wear later it just got too sore to get around.

When I had the total replacement I asked for a super glue closure because I thought that since I was going to PT, I didn't  want staples being pull points when I bent the knee. Super glue is the bomb.
View Quote
About where my wife is at. She needs both knees.  Worked as an ortho nurse for most of her career -  up until her knees got so bad she couldn't do the 12 hour shifts any longer.  She won't do it though. I wish she would.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Lucky man,  my grandmother passed from that very thing the day after a knee surgery back in the 1980s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep!  Wife and other family that was there asked if I got scared.  Actually, I was quite amazed I was still alive.  My priest got there within ten minutes of the diagnosis, I said my confession, then in surgery within fifteen minutes or so.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 1:13:02 AM EDT
[#37]
My dad is in his 70's and had one replaced in the beginning of Feb. Hes doing yard work already. Tractor, trimming, zero turn, and such.

I had my ACL reconstructed plus a deburr 2 days later and still struggle to walkout a waddle.

Do your PT and don't do dumbshit you know has a chance of setting you back.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 1:33:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Whoa ! Does that have hydraulic pistons ?  Did you have a bad accident? That looks painful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Result of a bout with osteogenic sarcoma, bone cancer, in the 'knee end' of my femur when I was 14.  They have to remove the diseased bone, which of course includes the distal end of the femur with its' accompanying ligaments and tendons.  My choices were either this, a fused knee (straight leg with no joint), or amputation.  You can't see it in the X-ray, but the type of prosthesis I have is actually a hinge with a hinge pin.

My doc said to expect about 10 years of use before I needed a revision / hardware replacement.  But...  it's been 21 years.  So doing well.

Quoted:

Well that's interesting.

Are those screws in the plate going into the rod in the femur?

I've got a hip to knee femoral rod and a plate alongside my knee.  Plate is screwed into bone below the rod, but wire wrapped alongside the femur.
The plate was installed about a year after the total knee replacement due to the allograft not healing to the bone.  The distal portion of my femur is cadaver bone the join is between the 6 screws, three on each side.  My understanding is they do NOT go through the bar which is inside the bone.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The plate was installed about a year after the total knee replacement due to the allograft not healing to the bone.  The distal portion of my femur is cadaver bone the join is between the 6 screws, three on each side.  My understanding is they do NOT go through the bar which is inside the bone.
View Quote
That makes sense, was hard to tell on the xray.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Do your PT and don't do dumbshit you know has a chance of setting you back.
View Quote
This really cannot be stated enough.

Do your PT like you mean it.  Yes it will hurt some, just the way it is.

I also learned to look for a physical therapist like you would look for a personal trainer at the gym.  Are they fat, out of shape, and non-athletic?  Look for someone else.  Someone who can't take care of their own self isn't gonna know how to push you to get better.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I also learned to look for a physical therapist like you would look for a personal trainer at the gym.  Are they fat, out of shape, and non-athletic?  Look for someone else.  Someone who can't take care of their own self isn't gonna know how to push you to get better.  
View Quote
Actually my Physical Therapist is smoking hot ! She’s very tough on me though .  The swelling is a major issue and doesn’t seem to go away , albeit it's only been a week and three days . I’m trying not to take the pain killers as much as they want me to but that’s why I’m not addicted after all these years on them .
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Hi fellas

Guess i'm waking up a post that was chilling for a bit.  I was following it from afar when it was going strong.

Just found out yesterday Im getting a full knee replacement July 9.  Pretty excited about it but somewhat nervous nonetheless.

I'll be getting it done at Tripler Hospital here on Oahu.

I have a good vibe off my surgeon....Army 0-5 type who def knows his shit, at least in my estimation.

The new knee is going top be a: "Triathlon Tritanium - Stryker"

Anyone familiar with that make/model??  Any intel??
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had acl revision and they used a graft from my other knee as the new acl. Sent me home 4 hours later. Complete fucking bullshit. Lets put some screws in one knee and cut half of your patellar tendon from the other knee. Here's some crutches to take home. You ever tried to use crutches after having both knees operated on ? Fucking LOL. If I could have crawled to my truck and back to the hospital I would have used my crutches to beat the first person I saw wearing scrubs. Actually I would have just fell on my face, but you get my point.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Do. Your. Rehab.
View Quote
yep, do it till it hurts. I really wimped out on the first one (between HS football and construction I've had both replaced). I was really slacking off on the first one, Doc got tired of my pussing out. He threatened to put me under again and break the internal scar tissue manually if I didn't do myself by forcing the knee. I took a deep breath and buckled down and got it down.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Actually my Physical Therapist is smoking hot ! She’s very tough on me though .  The swelling is a major issue and doesn’t seem to go away , albeit it's only been a week and three days . I’m trying not to take the pain killers as much as they want me to but that’s why I’m not addicted after all these years on them .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I felt the same about the painkillers, my therapist told me fine, don't take them to sleep but take them before we meet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I need one but your not making me feel like I want to go through with it.  I hope you get well soon.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Been there, done that last year... Do the Rehab, easy on the pain meds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top