Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2024 12:12:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin]
Neighbor's first gun.  Never talked to the guy except in passing, does sales for Dell.  

Seems he bought his first handgun on Monday and last night shot a hole thru the child seat in his Tacoma. (no kid present thankfully)    Wife goes off the deep end,  gun must go, etc, etc. Hubby either cannot or won't return it. Guess who is a wine tour buddy of the wife and volunteers me and our gun safe as a solution to the problem?

A brand new Glock with one round fired, in the case with loaded mags.   I have my doubts it ever leaves. No idea where the bullet went except generally north. Since his HOUSE is in that direction, I'm betting he (or wife)  just has not found the hole yet.

Just for info, 9mm Winchester ball penetrates baby seats very well. Good thing the truck door was open.

UPDATE:  The Glock is no more, wife's brother came and picked it up this morning.  Nice guy, just a little frustrated about wasting a day after getting pulled into this drama. He's going to sell it to a pawn shop per the wife's directions.

Bullet path was identified, ended up in the soffit over the window to the home office.  No word on hubby's opinion about all this though it's pretty safe to say he will never, ever, own a gun while married.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:16:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARDunstan] [#1]
Why not offer to train him how to properly handle a firearm and let your conscience be clear?

Without any familiarization on firearms, its a good bet he WILL let one off someday and that time it will hit someone.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Forgot the round in the chamber when trying to field strip.  

Looks like you have one of the best pistols ever made.  Did he charge you anything for it?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:19:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: glenn_r] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARDunstan:
Why not offer to train him how to properly handle a firearm and let your conscience be clear?

View Quote

What guilty conscience?  Helping a neighbor is fine, though it's regrettable there's room in the safe.  Maybe offer $250 to take it off his hands permanently?  His wife will probably go for that.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#4]
JFC…
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Holy shit. Did he explain how that happened??
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Gonna be a whole lot of pearl clutching in this one.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#7]
If a Glock 17 is too much gun for your neighbor, you need to move.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By libb:
If a Glock 17 is too much gun for your neighbor, you need to move.
View Quote

A Glock 17 is too much for a large percentage of GD with all the squealing about how terrible Glock is while they ball cup SIG and HK.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Without any familiarization on firearms, its a good bet he WILL let one off someday and that time it will hit someone.
View Quote

I could train him to be the next John Wick.  Does not matter, that gun is never entering that house again.   I don't want to be anywhere closer to this drama than I already have been volunteered for.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I am the custodial parent of a Star .380 owned by a Vietnam veteran who has (literal) wall-punching PTSD.  He gave it to me for safekeeping when Donald Trump was elected.  He was so angry about that, he was afraid he might go out and shoot someone or himself.  Other than being a major stress puppy with political views that don't align well with mine, he's intelligent, thoughtful, and witty and I get along with him anyway.  I met the man through his wife, who used to work with me back in the '90s.

I've taken good care of it - Cleaned it up thoroughly and have never fired it.

He's welcome to take it back any time, but he and his wife are now living in Mexico, along with his convicted felon son.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

I agree with this.  I also like the avatar, sat there watching it for way to long before replying.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:

Looks like you have one of the best pistols ever made.  Did he charge you anything for it?
View Quote

Don't like Glocks, don't want one.  He was fingerfucking the gun he had under the driver's seat, not in a holster or case, while he was vacuming the truck.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:

He's welcome to take it back any time, but he and his wife are now living in Mexico, along with his convicted felon son.  
View Quote

Hopefully they stay there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Sweet deal for you.

One time many years back my hard left lunatic aunt and uncle’s daughter had an abusive boyfriend. Daughter was living with them at the time. They became concerned for their safety to the point where they asked to borrow a gun from me. Regretfully I obliged and loaned them a G17. A few weeks later and no drama with the boyfriend and then they realized they were terrified to have *gasp* a pistol in the house. They frantically called and asked me to come get it. When I got there they wouldn’t even touch it to hand it to me. Wouldn’t even open the dresser drawer full of shirts it was in.

These are the same people that a few years prior stayed at my house during a visit and were very worried about my Thompson Center Hawkin muzzle loader propped in the corner after an unsuccessful deer hunt. It was still loaded but no primers nearby. They were just sure that somehow it would kill them both.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By pilatuspilot:
Sweet deal for you.

One time many years back my hard left lunatic aunt and uncle’s daughter had an abusive boyfriend. Daughter was living with them at the time. They became concerned for their safety to the point where they asked to borrow a gun from me. Regretfully I obliged and loaned them a G17. A few weeks later and no drama with the boyfriend and then they realized they were terrified to have *gasp* a pistol in the house. They frantically called and asked me to come get it. When I got there they wouldn’t even touch it to hand it to me. Wouldn’t even open the dresser drawer full of shirts it was in.

These are the same people that a few years prior stayed at my house during a visit and were very worried about my Thompson Center Hawkin muzzle loader propped in the corner after an unsuccessful deer hunt. It was still loaded but no primers nearby. They were just sure that somehow it would kill them both.
View Quote

True, lots of drama, but I can see the wife's angle.  The dude put a round thru the babyseat for their 9-month old daughter. I really don't think there will ever be another gun in that house unless she divorces him. (which at this point she's mad enough to do)
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:55:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#16]
Originally Posted By BigSky171:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigSky171:
Originally Posted By California_Kid:

I hope so too and think that's a foregone conclusion.

It actually is legal for an ordinary citizen or resident to own a .380 semiauto in Mexico, but the guy is a major hot-head.  His wife is OK with firearms but also relieved that I agreed to take custody of his.  I don't know whether it's listed as his on the California DoJ firearm registry, but I suspect it isn't.

I wish I could post information about the man's colorful history and/or his son's crimes, but that's just too much PERSEC stuff.  I'll just say that we are all better off with the two of them living south of the border.  The woman is as sweet as can be.  I don't know how she puts up with the two men in her life.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:17:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#17]
Originally Posted By ARmory04:

View Quote

Nah, folks will just blame the wife as GD usually does.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe point him to a revolver and take that Glock off his hands. lol!

Had a co-worker years ago that was unloading his 1911 .45 for cleaning and popped a round into the middle of his waterbed. By coincidence soon after his older brother acquired a Glock 17 and also popped a round through the living room floor while getting ready to clean it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:

Don't like Glocks, don't want one.  He was fingerfucking the gun he had under the driver's seat, not in a holster or case, while he was vacuming the truck.
View Quote

Yep.  He’s retarded.  Glad he didn’t hurt anyone.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

I don't  blame her at all. He's an irresponsible idiot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:35:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#21]

View Quote

Second best, the 47 is superior Glock now… I love the 17 2nd most bestest.

If it’s a Gen5, drop a 4.5lb Wolff strike spring, makes the trigger sweet, will detonate LC 9mm primers, so GTG.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#22]
He will never own a gun again after that, unless he gets divorced.  He may as well sell it to you at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Ive had CA rifle refugees come and go from my safe as friends have left the state or sold things off.  I have one left.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I don’t think I ever admitted this publicly but I negligently discharged a Glock many year back in my parent’s living room. It was one day before my 21st birthday and my dad’s friend sold me a G19. I grew up around pistols, MGs, silencers, and everything in the early 80s but I was proud as hell to own that Glock. On day one I was out fishing and I was carrying the G19 and I expertly and proudly shot a water moccasin. Later that evening I was at my parents house and went to show dad how to take down a Glock. (At the time we were a 1911 and HiPower family) So I dropped the magazine then pulled the trigger. From that moment on was slow motion. I distinctly remember their half asleep cat nearly bouncing off the ceiling. Mom screaming ‘what the fuck’ and dad asking what happened. My hand was bleeding because the far side of my left palm was in front of the muzzle.

Long winded story but it was 110% my fault. I was retarded and made a stupid mistake. I got away with it relatively cheaply. But in that instant I learned a lot and I’m far more cautious and safety oriented now. All guns are loaded 100% of the time. Treat them as such.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not usually one to agree with someone NOT having firearms. But that might be an exception. Until he gets some training. Clearly way too much responsibility for him.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I don’t think I ever admitted this publicly but I negligently discharged a Glock many year back in my parent’s living room. It was one day before my 21st birthday and my dad’s friend sold me a G19. I grew up around pistols, MGs, silencers, and everything in the early 80s but I was proud as hell to own that Glock. On day one I was out fishing and I was carrying the G19 and I expertly and proudly shot a water moccasin. Later that evening I was at my parents house and went to show dad how to take down a Glock. (At the time we were a 1911 and HiPower family) So I dropped the magazine then pulled the trigger. From that moment on was slow motion. I distinctly remember their half asleep cat nearly bouncing off the ceiling. Mom screaming ‘what the fuck’ and dad asking what happened. My hand was bleeding because the far side of my left palm was in front of the muzzle.

Long winded story but it was 110% my fault. I was retarded and made a stupid mistake. I got away with it relatively cheaply. But in that instant I learned a lot and I’m far more cautious and safety oriented now. All guns are loaded 100% of the time. Treat them as such.
View Quote

It takes a big man to admit an ND.  (Why i wont admit mine).  

It definitely makes you more safe from there on out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Ew, a 9mm Glock.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#28]
There should be a fifth rule for firearm safety:

#5 Never have your head up your ass while handling a weapon.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Want to tell us your ND story?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Was the baby seat expired?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

At least I didn't bleed.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

Yup.

While I oppose legally mandating firearms training as a prerequisite to purchase, I highly encourage it.

Skip the four rules, basic common sense would have prevented that one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:06:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tom-from-Michigan] [#33]
If I were in a situation like this, and the guy was conservative and normal, I would make an effort to train him. If he's a Libtard and therefore a goofball, there's no way in hell that I'm teaching him anything about guns or shooting. The days of trying to convert the Left to be pro Second Amendment are long gone.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Someone already said it, but it needs to be said again.  JFC.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Correction 2 factory rounds and 1 in a car
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Queue up the negligent discharge story
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Having dealt with many first time gun owners, I am guessing he didn’t understand about the chambered round when he removed the magazine, and believed it was unloaded. He was probably practicing some Die Hard lines as he waved the gun around with his finger on the trigger. I am sure the concept of the FOuR ABSOLUTES is foreign to him too. It’s all in the Owners Manual but, hey, reading is for Faggots.

Anytime someone expresses an interest to me in owning their first gun, I am happy to take them to the range but I insist on spending a little time with them at the kitchen table first, going over the FOUR ABSOLUTES and talking about safe handling/storage. I always demonstrate that “simple trick” regarding ejecting the round in the chamber. I also encourage them and everyone in their household to seek professional training and give them some resources to find that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Yep, that guy is too stupid to own a gun. The wife's also a dumbass for procreating with someone that fucking stupid and passing along his dumbass genetics.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#39]
One of the ways firearms safety was taught / ingrained into me from a young age, every round not on target is a negligent discharge, so I openly admit I have hundreds. All on a firing range, most on paper somewhere, 2 were not.

Those 2 haunt me to this day. It was the 1000 time I had run through that shoot house that day, I was tired, it was a combat reload in the middle of a 3 target 10 round string in a brand new shoot house with a kimber 1911. Needless to say I did a lot of running, push ups, and apologizing to the the owner to be allowed back on the range.

Just to be told at the end of it “I did an amazing job and plywood was cheap to replace. However, grandma, the dog, the kid, my partner/ teammate in law enforcement if I still went that way, whatever in my future holds far more value than the trauma I endured today.”

Many lessons were taught that day. I was 17 in a 3 day carbine class. I greatly admire that instructor and the life lessons he taught me over the 3 different courses I took with him.

That happened on day 2. Day three was a hard day as well but in hindsight, those were the best days of my life so far.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#40]

I could train him to be the next John Wick.  Does not matter, that gun is never entering that house again.   I don't want to be anywhere closer to this drama than I already have been volunteered for.
View Quote
with a pen-a-ceel?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
that's sad.

your buddy should sell it to me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#42]
I inherited a M&P pistol when my workmate, who had kept at my house because of his wife's objections, got busted in an underage prostitution sting.
Sadly it is only a .22.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Valuable insight.  Glad you are ok.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

I know from experience a wifi router will stop a .22 hollowpoint

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like Glock slipped some pitbull DNA into that batch of Tupperware..

Going after toddlers... Shit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I was wondering if this was like when Clemenza asked Vito to hold the guns for him.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Funny this thread came up.  I spent 4 1/2 hours last Sunday with 4 first time gun owners (2 couples).  
One was a former coworker and his wife, both in their 70's and their 40 year old son and his girl friend, all really good folks, but people of very small stature and left leaning.
Asking them why buy their first gun now this late in life and they all said the world was getting scary and they wanted to be prepared.
Both Father and Son had bought Glock 17's, one a Gen 4 and the other a Gen 5 at the advice of the gun shop counter sales person.
I spent the first minute making them show me the guns (still in the boxes) to verify they were clear and the ammo was well away from us.
Surprise, surprise, both guns were fully loaded with "Zombie" ammunition.
The next 3 1/2 hours was at their kitchen table going over in-depth firearm safety and the firearm and self defense laws of our State, before ever letting them pick up their (now cleared) guns.  
The next 1/2 hour was how ammunition and the Glocks worked.  
Only then did I start teaching them the proper way to manipulate, grip and present (using a G17 blue gun initially) their guns.
They realized  quickly the Glock 17 grip is way too big for any of them to grasp comfortably or safely.
I really wish they would have taken me up on my offer over the years to stop by the house to handle any one of my very diversified collection of handguns before listening to a random gun store counter monkey.
Next lesson, time TBD, is a safety review and range time at my rural private club.
Gotta run what y'all brung I reckon, but I imagine I may be offered a new G17 for cheap.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Ishouldknowbetter:
Funny this thread came up.  I spent 4 1/2 hours last Sunday with 4 first time gun owners (2 couples).  
One was a former coworker and his wife, both in their 70's and their 40 year old son and his girl friend, all really good folks, but people of very small stature and left leaning.
Asking them why buy their first gun now this late in life and they all said the world was getting scary and they wanted to be prepared.
Both Father and Son had bought Glock 17's, one a Gen 4 and the other a Gen 5 at the advice of the gun shop counter sales person.
I spent the first minute making them show me the guns (still in the boxes) to verify they were clear and the ammo was well away from us.
Surprise, surprise, both guns were fully loaded with "Zombie" ammunition.
The next 3 1/2 hours was at their kitchen table going over in-depth firearm safety and the firearm and self defense laws of our State, before ever letting them pick up their (now cleared) guns.  
The next 1/2 hour was how ammunition and the Glocks worked.  
Only then did I start teaching them the proper way to manipulate, grip and present (using a G17 blue gun initially) their guns.
They realized  quickly the Glock 17 grip is way too big for any of them to grasp comfortably or safely.
I really wish they would have taken me up on my offer over the years to stop by the house to handle any one of my very diversified collection of handguns before listening to a random gun store counter monkey.
Next lesson, time TBD, is a safety review and range time at my rural private club.
Gotta run what y'all brung I reckon, but I imagine I may be offered a new G17 for cheap.
View Quote
You sir, are a saint.

I can't deal with new gun owners anymore, stresses me out too much.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#49]
BTT for update.
Top Top