Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2024 4:38:38 PM EDT
My lighter finally died after many years of faithful service. Can anyone recommend a quality lighter?
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#1]
What’s your budget?
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Zippo Single Torch Insert. I use them and have given 5-6 as gifts over last few years, extremely reliable, while also being easily replaceable and having 2 year warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XSCC887?th=1

Newport Butane. The key to reliability; purge the lighter by depressing the fuel valve using one of the refill tips from the cap, which ensures a full filling and no air bubbles that can effect reliability:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KH30FWC
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Newnimprovedusername:
What’s your budget?
View Quote

Probably keep it under 100 bucks, but I’m open to pretty much anything.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Xikar has a lot of nice options under $100. If you want a good cheapie Jet Line is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Dollar tree 1.29 Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I own scores of lighters… Lighters and cutters are my weakness.

Xikar EX
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Colibri Rally I like.  Single flame, adjustable.  I get at least 6 cigars between fills.  I'm a long toaster & touch upper when needed.  I bought it because I had the matching Colibri V cutter first.  I'm picky about things in my pockets, I didn't want anything too big, or barrel shaped.  Fits nice.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:08:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#8]
The ultimate is the Prince/Blazer PB-207; this was the original Jet lighter that started the craze in the 1980's. To my knowledge it's also the longest continuous production Jet lighter.

Made in Japan, brass fittings, ceramic heat shield. It was initially designed as a mini blowtorch, and has a lock on flame setting allowing it to keep lit for minutes at a time without overheating. With good fuel these will last for years and years.

They were banned in the US for years, only now able to be sold without a child lock if marketed as an 'Industrial Heat Tool.'

You want to look on Ebay, PB-207, you want ones marked Industrial Heat Tool, with the little rubber base shown in the pic below. That's the model without child safety. Price is typically $45-$60.

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:10:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#9]
woops double post
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Vertigo. Cheap, reliable, and have a lifetime warranty
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Corona Old Boy
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:24:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohguy] [#12]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
The ultimate is the Prince/Blazer PB-207; this was the original Jet lighter that started the craze in the 1980's. To my knowledge it's also the longest continuous production Jet lighter.

Made in Japan, brass fittings, ceramic heat shield. It was initially designed as a mini blowtorch, and has a lock on flame setting allowing it to keep lit for minutes at a time without overheating. With good fuel these will last for years and years.

They were banned in the US for years, only now able to be sold without a child lock if marketed as an 'Industrial Heat Tool.'

You want to look on Ebay, PB-207, you want ones marked Industrial Heat Tool, with the little rubber base shown in the pic below. That's the model without child safety. Price is typically $45-$60.

https://cdn.humidor-station.com/502-thickbox_default/pocket-torch-lighter-red.jpg
View Quote

This is the answer. Simple and reliable. Have had the 206 for years and it keeps on chugging.

I went through a bunch of jets, cheap and $$. Nothing lasted more than a couple weeks (some even a few days). Use the highest quality butane you can find. Mine likes colibri
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bohguy:

This is the answer. Simple and reliable. Have had the 206 for years and it keeps on chugging.

I went through a bunch of jets, cheap and $$. Nothing lasted more than a couple weeks (some even a few days). Use the highest quality butane you can find. Mine likes colibri
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bohguy:

https://cdn.humidor-station.com/502-thickbox_default/pocket-torch-lighter-red.jpg

Been using my Xikar EX for more than five years. Have lit thousands of cigars - I’m a two a day average. The finish of the gunmetal has worn off, but still chugging along and I use whatever fuel is available. My buddies use them as well and I know of one that went back for replacement/repair.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#14]
This all great. Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 6:32:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Zippo Single Torch Insert. I use them and have given 5-6 as gifts over last few years, extremely reliable, while also being easily replaceable and having 2 year warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XSCC887?th=1

Newport Butane. The key to reliability; purge the lighter by depressing the fuel valve using one of the refill tips from the cap, which ensures a full filling and no air bubbles that can effect reliability:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KH30FWC
View Quote

One thing I forgot to add, whats nice about the Zippo Torch insert is that its just the core of the lighter, which works with any Zippo body.

So even if the core dies (I've yet to kill one in the last few years but no Jet lasts forever) you still retain your sentimental exterior Zippo you've carried for years.

Link Posted: 9/10/2024 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Vertigo Cyclone hands down. For $10, nothing comes close. I used my first one for over 3 years and lit several thousand dollars with of cigars with it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Lots of good options out there for less than $100.

My first "nice" lighter was the Colibri Daytona. Decent single jet torch. Looks nice and has a pretty wide range of adjustability, where it doesn't have too much trouble with larger RG cigars. Also nice and slim for carrying on the go in a pocket.

As for a triple torch, I only have a cheapy, but it's very solid. Firebird Afterburner, was $10 at a gas station. Lights without question, wide range of adjustability, and large tank for lots of lights between refills. Several other very similar options to this one, like the Vertigo Cyclone/Cyclone II/Sputnik, Palio Vesuvio, and Jetline Super Torch. Eventually I may get a nicer triple torch, but probably only when this one wears out, and that will likely be quite a while.

For a soft flame, Colibri Julius, though you'll need to catch one on sale to get under $100. If you ever smoke inside/in a garage or in very still air in general, a soft flame lighter is pretty nice. I smoke in my garage 90+% of the time, and it has become my favorite lighter. Just something about the way a soft flame toasts the foot just a bit more gently.

For a super precise single torch for touch ups, Palio Lazio. It's like $12, but built incredibly well. The torch is very fine, so it's not great for initial light up unless you only smoke very small RG stuff like lanceros/lonsdales/coronas or figurados with small feet. It also has a very small tank. But, it's very compact so it's not a bad option to bring in your pocket if you're out and about and only planning on smoking one or two cigars. It really shines at touching up wonky burns though with how precise the torch is.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I had the Blazer that was posted above for a long time. I forget if it either quit or I lost it. Then I stopped smoking cigars very much for a long time, but am getting back into it again, and picked up a zippo with a torch insert. Classy? I guess not particularly, but classic, certainly, and you can get whatever zippo body you want, so it can be as fancy or as trashy as you like. There are single or double torch options that are zippo brand, as well as third party ones you can get as well. At one time I had a butane soft flame pipe insert that was made by vector that worked really well. This time I got the zippo branded double torch, because it was available on amazon with a small butane canister as well for the same price as just the insert. It does seem like the tank may be a bit small, so we'll see how many lights I get out of it, but it works just fine, and I like that it doesn't require flints, and the valve for the gas is in the lighter switch and not the lid flipper, as I recall the vector insert had both of those nit-picks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top