Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2022 3:27:24 PM EDT
So right around February 2024 is when I can start the DOD's Skill Bridge program/Terminal Leave.

Wife and I are thinking about moving back to PA... specifically Lebanon or Berks County. We want to be within an hour from my parents and the wife's mom.

I'll have just wrapped up 20 years of playing Air Force... specifically being a Crew Chief on C-130s/B-52s/ and the B-1B

However though I've now spent the past two years supervising and scheduling 30 people on three shifts that run our squadron's tool, equipment, and vehicle section (Support Flight/CTK).

I was the Vehicle NCO for my squadron which encompassed 65 vehicles. Additionally I'm 10k forklift qualified and also in charge of two government purchase card accounts (fly/non fly money).

I don't want to work on aircraft when I retire. I'm thinking either something in logistics or as terrible as it sounds local/state/ or federal government....there is a big VA in Lebanon Pennsylvania

I have an Associates Degree through the Air Force and by the time I retire will be only a few classes shy of a BA in Management.

I'm looking forward to retiring from the Air Force and am wanting to start getting my ducks in a row now.

I know 18 months is a ways out yet at the same time it'll be here quick.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations and good luck!
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Start looking at fed facilities in that area and what contractors have the contracts for those places.  

Northern VA has a ton of jobs you'd qualify for and is only 2 hours from alot of places in PA.  Maybe live in Western MD or NW VA for cheaper housing and a more sympathetic political base.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in Berks, right on the Lancaster line.

Happy here, don't plan on moving again - ever.

Prices for acreage (bare land or with house) has really jumped in the past year, like it as most places.

anything you want to know?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Lebanon County.. north of Palmyra area isn't a bad place to live.  Palmyra Borough is plagued with sinkholes, so stay out of the Borough proper.
Palmyra Sportsman's Club has a great range, and there's a bunch of shops in the area.  Fort Indiantown Gap isn't
far away, as well as Ohmstead AFB in Highspire, home of the 193d SOW.

Shoot me a PM if you want more info.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Prices for acreage (bare land or with house) has really jumped in the past year, like it as most places.

View Quote

How is the job and housing market?

We're thinking maybe Cedar Crest or Palmyra school district if we go in Lebanon County. If we go in Berks I wouldn't mind Governor Mifflin (Mohnton) school district
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lebanon County.. north of Palmyra area isn't a bad place to live.  Palmyra Borough is plagued with sinkholes, so stay out of the Borough proper.
Palmyra Sportsman's Club has a great range, and there's a bunch of shops in the area.  Fort Indiantown Gap isn't
far away, as well as Ohmstead AFB in Highspire, home of the 193d SOW.

Shoot me a PM if you want more info.
View Quote

Looking at Palmyra or Cedar Crest school district
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So right around February 2024 is when I can start the DOD's Skill Bridge program/Terminal Leave.

Wife and I are thinking about moving back to PA... specifically Lebanon or Berks County. We want to be within an hour from my parents and the wife's mom. I grew up in Myerstown and the wife's mom lives in Royersford down in Montgomery County. Wife has other family in Delaware County.

I'll have just wrapped up 20 years of playing Air Force... specifically being a Crew Chief on C-130s/B-52s/ and the B-1B

However though I've now spent the past two years supervising and scheduling 30 people on three shifts that run our squadron's tool, equipment, and vehicle section (Support Flight/CTK).

I was the Vehicle NCO for my squadron which encompassed 65 vehicles. Additionally I'm 10k forklift qualified and also in charge of two government purchase card accounts (fly/non fly money).

I don't want to work on aircraft when I retire. I'm thinking either something in logistics or as terrible as it sounds local/state/ or federal government....there is a big VA in Lebanon Pennsylvania

I have an Associates Degree through the Air Force and by the time I retire will be only a few classes shy of a BA in Management.

I'm looking forward to retiring from the Air Force and am wanting to start getting my ducks in a row now.

I know 18 months is a ways out yet at the same time it'll be here quick.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Palmyra Schools aren't bad, as I have a 6 year old in there now.  They seem pretty conservative.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've heard it's not the Cedar Crest of 20 years ago. I can double check with my mom, she taught in the elementary school for 40 years.

Id love to go back and visit, but all of my cornfields and cow pastures are now subdivisions.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've heard it's not the Cedar Crest of 20 years ago. I can double check with my mom, she taught in the elementary school for 40 years.

Id love to go back and visit, but all of my cornfields and cow pastures are now subdivisions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I R went to ELCO
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm assuming you have a Top Secret clearance? I'd be trying to utilize that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm assuming you have a Top Secret clearance? I'd be trying to utilize that.
View Quote

Nah just Secret
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We're thinking maybe Cedar Crest or Palmyra school district if we go in Lebanon County. If we go in Berks I wouldn't mind Governor Mifflin (Mohnton) school district
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Housing market is tight, but prices not terrible compared to other parts of the country. Berks has long been on the slightly more affordable side so we started this run-up from further down. Berks property values tend to be a little lower than surrounding counties as taxes are a little higher.

Job market is better than it had been for a long time. For a while you had to leave Berks to find a decent job. Things have improved and I think our area is getting hit harder than most with the mass boomer retirement of the past few years. Lots of new businesses along both the 222 and I76 corridor, especially big shipping and distribution places. They seem to be really hurting for mechanics and technicians of all kinds.

Mifflin schools are not what they were 10+ years ago, but still not terrible. Outflow from Reading has brought a lot of troubled kids into the district and the school isn't handling it well. Thankfully the elementary schools are separate and all the rural kids go to Brecknock, so its less of an issue when they're young.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Snip...
especially big shipping and distribution places.
View Quote

Can't speak to the specific area, but even here near Allentown, huge warehouses/shipping depots are cropping up.   I wonder how Logistics jobs would be for them with your experience?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I R went to ELCO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I R went to ELCO
Pffff.

I went to the poor/cheap/small school with the shitty mascot.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I moved to Elk county over a year ago due to low Zillow prices and love the area. About the only area I would rather live is around State College which is about an hour and a half away. Very beautiful and safe as far as college towns go. Zillow prices are much higher though. Still there are Thai and sushi restaurants plus Wegmans and Trader Joes among other things not available in Elk County.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Can't speak to the specific area, but even here near Allentown, huge warehouses/shipping depots are cropping up.   I wonder how Logistics jobs would be for them with your experience?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip...
especially big shipping and distribution places.

Seems like they're everywhere along I78

hadn't really thought about the Lehigh Valley/Allentown/Bethlehem area
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Congratulations!

These may be too far away based on where you said you want to live but Tobyhanna Army Depot and Letterkenny would be very good for your logistics desires.  It has been ten years since I have been to Tobyhanna, but the times I have worked with them and visited their facilities they were top notch!
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where are the parents you want to be near?

Sometimes it's quicker in PA to be along an interstate and drive more miles (but much less time via the smaller roads).
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sometimes it's quicker in PA to be along an interstate and drive more miles (but much less time via the smaller roads).
View Quote

The Berks Co I grew up in was why I left in the mid 80s to the USCG and NC.
The old Oley Valley hunting spots were being built up. A beautiful 200 acre walnut farm was partitioned.  Puerto Rico was sending everything they had .
Now, 30 years later the same is happening here and central and South America are populating this area.

Don't know where to go next
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Lots of Fed logistics jobs around Harrisburg. Letterkeny, Mechanicsburg and New Cumberland depots, plus tons of private industry that does military stuff too like JLG. Obviously a little west of where you're looking, Basically Hagerstown to Allentown on 81 and 78 is a huge logistics hub for the Northeast.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Central PA is nice and all, but not sure why you want to leave the Black Hills. I can't wait to move back out to the Hills.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#26]
well at least your retirement wont be taxed by the state. december will be 10 years retired in lower bucks
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm not far from Lebanon/Berks.  

I'd say we could go shooting but I don't have a 20" AR
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Myerstown right off of US422
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m in Berks.  Oley Valley.  Worked for GE/Lockheed down in King of Prussia.  Retardidid now.  Local gun club is $20 a year.  No crime.  No PD.  No FD.  Hear full auto fire off in the distance.  Shoot in my backyard….as do the neighbors.   CLEO in Berks is pro-gun.  LTCF is a 20 minute process.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I retired from the AF in FL, right between 2 bases. 5 mi away,

All my health care is covered by Tricare, get all my Dr clinic visits through central appt line, pharmacy meds and refills free in main hospital, it has been great.

Commissary and Class 6, no tax on booze or food. Access to all the outdoor rec stuff, marina, private beaches etc.

If I move it would be to a place with same access to healthcare, something to consider.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Aren’t you going to miss all of your trashy neighbors?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Aren’t you going to miss all of your trashy neighbors?
View Quote

God no, and it's only one

The others are great and I will miss them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top