Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2024 8:50:26 PM EDT
Don’t have the time to play regularly or look for groups. Done a lot of soloing in EQ2 but the game is designed for grouping and raids. Just want to turn off my brain from the real world from time to time and explore an immersive world. Loved playing paladins and fury type classes as they were well built for soloing. I play on an older (4 year old) gaming laptop with decent specs and 32GB of RAM and an independent video card. Not looking for something bleeding edge. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Typing this, as I'm playing my 117 Iksar monk, who has been sitting on her ass 1/2 the day LFG. If you find a game, let me know.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stitches1974:
Typing this, as I'm playing my 117 Iksar monk, who has been sitting on her ass 1/2 the day LFG. If you find a game, let me know.
View Quote

If the EQ2 Origin server gets a decent enough player base it might be worth checking out.

Might be promising
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

This is why I stopped playing EQ a loooong time ago.  I hated logging into the game and spending hours waiting to play the game.  Even three boxing with a shammy and ranger it was just not worth the effort as a warrior.

Look into Dragon's Dogma.  Single player game where you hire pawns to round out your group.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Final Fantasy 14 is both a singleplayer and multiplayer MMORPG.  Plenty of story to bide you by solo, but you have to do some dungeons to progress.  Thing is, the way they do their random dungeon queues, you'll find a party within 20 minutes max.

But find a group to play with and you'll always have a tank/healer to get those sweet instant queues.

New expansion just dropped, and new worlds (servers) just launched, so TONS of new players available.

I'm on Kraken, let me know if you start :).

Oh, free trial up to level level 70!  Just can't join a guild (FC) or trade.  Pretty sure we can friend/party together just not trade or bring you into the FC.  Free trial is unlimited up to level 70, unless you purchase the game, then the trial account status ends and you have to pay a sub.

https://freetrial.finalfantasyxiv.com/na/
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By svt40:

This is why I stopped playing EQ a loooong time ago.  I hated logging into the game and spending hours waiting to play the game.  Even three boxing with a shammy and ranger it was just not worth the effort as a warrior.

Look into Dragon's Dogma.  Single player game where you hire pawns to round out your group.
View Quote

Appreciate the referral, but after eq, I'm done hiring anything, just to be able to play a game. Just looked at a gameplay video. I lost even more interest after watching for 10 seconds and seeing a hold left to block announcement. They ruined the new FFVII with that crap for me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:49:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#6]
Originally Posted By jatobi:
Final Fantasy 14 is both a singleplayer and multiplayer MMORPG.  Plenty of story to bide you by solo, but you have to do some dungeons to progress.  Thing is, the way they do their random dungeon queues, you'll find a party within 20 minutes max.

But find a group to play with and you'll always have a tank/healer to get those sweet instant queues.

New expansion just dropped, and new worlds (servers) just launched, so TONS of new players available.

I'm on Kraken, let me know if you start :).

Oh, free trial up to level level 70!  Just can't join a guild (FC) or trade.  Pretty sure we can friend/party together just not trade or bring you into the FC.  Free trial is unlimited up to level 70, unless you purchase the game, then the trial account status ends and you have to pay a sub.

https://freetrial.finalfantasyxiv.com/na/
View Quote

I played that game for years. I could still log into my account, but didn't have access to the email address it was attached to anymore. Tried to change the email, with proper credentials and proof that the account was mine, to an email address I had for 14 years, and never had a SE game attached to. They told me to pound sand, as that email address was already in use for a SE game... So, they ended up deleting my account.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#7]

I played that game for years. I could still log into my account, but didn't have access to the email address it was attached to anymore. Tried to change the email, with proper credentials and proof that the account was mine, to an email address I had for 14 years, and never had a SE game attached to. They told me to pound sand, as that email address was already in use for a SE game...
View Quote

No idea.  Never had issues.

I asked them to recover my original account and they did.  I gave them all of the emails I used during that timeframe, all my information, and they recovered the account for me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#8]
My time with MMORPG's was just a grind fest.  As a single player game there are better ways to waste life playing.

Most of the gamers I have known shun them.  The last ones I played were lame.  Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls Online, Phantasy Star Online, Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars The Old Republic, The Division (mostly ok), Destiney 1 + 2 (though not as bad as the afore mentioned)

Enemy placement seems to be done on a grid and doesn't feel natural or lived in.  ESO and TOR were like that.  Pulled me out of the game.   None of them were really worth buying and playing unless you had friends to co-op with.

If you want a Single player open world RPG there are many such as Skyrim, KCD, Witcher 3, Dragons Dogma, Elden Ring
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Solasta: Crown of the Magister  is not bad for what it is.  D&D based RPG.  It is cheap on GOG.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have an answer for the OP.  However, I would be interested to hear of good suggestions, so this is my OST... also, I haven't seen Everquest mentioned in so long that I had to chime in with a brief reminiscence.

I played both EQ and EQ2.  I probably felt more "sucked into" both of these games than any other game before or since. I shudder to think of the number of hours that I spent playing EQ2.

My main character was a Shadowknight; I can't remember my max level now.  I do remember getting a free house (a mansion, really) for having played for 7 years.  I literally got lost in that thing, and never went back to it.  It kinda felt like all the time I had spent working on and upgrading my current house had been wasted.

Anyway, I haven't seen anything in the 20 or so years since then that I thought would be comparable. I was really looking forward to an EQ3, but it wasn't to be.

Link Posted: 7/5/2024 10:38:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jatobi] [#12]
So for the most "MMORPG" type solo games:

Kingdoms of Amalur is like a throwback to old school MMORPG games.  Plenty of world to explore, loot to find, and quests to grind.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning in 2024

Cross Code is by far one of my favorite indie games.  It's set within the world of an MMORPG.  Quests, "guilds," gear to farm, dungeons to raid.  It's a fun time.

This is the best indie game I played in 2024! - CrossCode - Indie Hidden Gems

and if you have a Nintendo Switch:

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - Launch Trailer - Nintendo Switch

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Official Game Trailer - Nintendo E3 2017

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Announcement Trailer - Nintendo Switch

Xenoblade is the most MMORPG type singleplayer game you can play.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Kingdoms of Amalur looks like it might have some promise and only $9.99 on Steam. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 12:32:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MauserMark:
You'd probably like Dragon Age 3. Was free a few weeks ago on Epic games. However, it's usually pretty cheap on Steam.

Right now it's $4.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222690/Dragon_Age_Inquisition/

Game came out in 2014, pretty sure your laptop can play it.
View Quote

My laptop can handle EQ2 and Elder Scrolls. Anything from before 2020 should be playable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top