Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Um, aren't they between seasons right now?  I'm pretty sure I recently heard the World Series was done for the year.
View Quote

During the off-season players still can still use team facilities doctors/trainers and stuff like that. There also public relations events where they show up to represent the team. All of that stops now. Players, really anyone a part of MLBPA, are locked out of facilities and cannot use any team uniforms or insignia.

They have learned to have CBAs for any sport always expire in the offseason as not to disrupt the regular season.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah, I hear ya, people who like things I don’t like are part of the problem, too.
View Quote

Yep, it's all a game. No pun intended.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Um, aren't they between seasons right now?  I'm pretty sure I recently heard the World Series was done for the year.
View Quote

Yes, but it also means no contact between front offices and players. Hence why there was a scramble to sign free agents (which was actually pretty cool).

The issue is going to be more significant when this extends to late February. Thats when pitchers and catchers report. At that point, you basically have about a month delay to start the season from whenever they agree to a new CBA.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#5]
The real psychological underpinnings of this whole structure are what's really fascinating.  What's the motivation of these fans (generally male) to lavish all this worship and money in the direction of the players, also male?  I used to suspect it was indicative of some kind of suppressed homosexual inclination, but maybe its just some kind of inbred urge for the beta male to prostrate himself for the dominant male?  Kind of like when a dog rolls over and shows its belly, and likes it?  

I don't know if this phenomena of the relationship between these athletes and their fans has been explored academically but it's kind of gross, if you think about it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The real psychological underpinnings of this whole structure are what's really fascinating.  What's the motivation of these fans (generally male) to lavish all this worship and money in the direction of the players, also male?  I used to suspect it was indicative of some kind of suppressed homosexual inclination, but maybe its just some kind of inbred urge for the beta male to prostrate himself for the dominant male?  Kind of like when a dog rolls over and shows its belly, and likes it?  

I don't know if this phenomena of the relationship between these athletes and their fans has been explored academically but it's kind of gross, if you think about it.
View Quote

You’re way over thinking it.

People admire people of super skill level.

Pretty much as simple as that.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not overthinking. Just trying to be part of the cool kids club that hates sports.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Don’t watch don’t care
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Now if we could just get NFL and NBA to strike with them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So who should pocket the money the teams bring in?
View Quote

How about lower ticket prices? Lower concession prices?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#11]
People still watch baseball?  It was headed downhill quick pre-Covid.  This will not do them any good at all.  When you’re an entertainer you better entertain or the paying customers lose interest.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would they charge less than what people will pay?Prices drop when demand is low (team sucks) prices rise when demand is high (team is winning).

Sport leagues/teams are a business, not charity.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Professional sports still exist?  

I stopped caring or noticing two or three years ago.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Interesting, the difference between this thread and the union threads.
View Quote
bazinga!
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Sports provides an entertaining connection to other people. That's valuable. We should try to find more enjoyable things in common with others and spend less time in our mom's basement winning teh intarwebz.

Of course, there are other things that do this too.

But if you're going to complain about pro sports, complain about something legitimate, like tax-payer funded subsidies, etc.

I too am a little jealous that I can't get millions of people to pay to watch me do my job, but I've come to terms with it. System Administration is not that fun to watch. On the other hand, it doesn't cause injuries, so there's that.

If you think "they get paid too much. That should be spread around" etc. well...you're just a communist, aren't ya, a wealth re-distributing, statist douche.
Not a good look.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The last lockout tuned away a lot of fans. This one should do even more damage.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/mlb-lockout-work-stoppage
View Quote

nah, they'll come crawling back.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Give-A-Fuck meter not registering.

Those spoiled asswipes would be hard pressed to get any less money out of me. Fuck them. Not a dime from me ever again.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
People still watch baseball?  It was headed downhill quick pre-Covid.  This will not do them any good at all.  When you’re an entertainer you better entertain or the paying customers lose interest.
View Quote

I looked up viewers for MLB. The number of fans/viewers had dropped almost 50% since 2003.  

Not a good thing to do when people aren't watching anyway.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Capitalism in action. Both sides have the right to negotiate for their best cut of the money.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lost interest in MLB after the 94/95 strike.

Lost interest in MLB after the 94/95 strike.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sports provides an entertaining connection to other people. That's valuable. We should try to find more enjoyable things in common with others and spend less time in our mom's basement winning teh intarwebz.

Of course, there are other things that do this too.

But if you're going to complain about pro sports, complain about something legitimate, like tax-payer funded subsidies, etc.

I too am a little jealous that I can't get millions of people to pay to watch me do my job, but I've come to terms with it. System Administration is not that fun to watch. On the other hand, it doesn't cause injuries, so there's that.

If you think "they get paid too much. That should be spread around" etc. well...you're just a communist, aren't ya, a wealth re-distributing, statist douche.
Not a good look.
View Quote

I think a lot of the “overpaid” talk comes from a lack of understanding how “elite” even mediocre athletes are, and then the truly top tier are the best the planet has to offer in their discipline.

Most of us, no matter how good we are at our jobs could easily be replaced by a pool of thousands or even millions of other people. That’s why most of us get paid in the tens of thousands, to low hundreds of thousands a year.

Connor McDavid gets paid over ten million. Why? Because he is irreplaceable, and brings exceptional revenue to his employer. There is nobody on earth right now that Edmonton could sign tomorrow that would be able to fill his roster slot and match his skill level.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#23]
The season is over right?

So how the Fuck does a work stoppage effect anybody?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The season is over right?

So how the Fuck does a work stoppage effect anybody?
View Quote
Training doesn't stop.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

A lot happens during the off-season including free agency and trades. Teams cannot make any free agent signings or trades during a lock out. A lot of unsigned players are out there without a job.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#26]
They are tired of the virtual slavery for only millions of dollars.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#27]
They get a crazy amount of money to play a children’s game.

Sports should make it the players only get paid when they win. Would make everything way more competitive.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Pittsburgh Pirate fans were already being turned away by the owner (nutting) - trading off all the good players for washed up hacks and “prospects” that had no chance of going anywhere with their previous organizations.  
So it’s pretty much a wash for us
No more ignominy of continual losing seasons and being told they are  “rebuilding” after every season

Now on the whole thing of the MLB players union - if every player individually negotiates his own contract (with an agent mostly), why exactly do they need a union?   It’s not a life long career for most.   They can’t get a investment manager to look after a portion of the multi million dollar contracts so they have something for later in life?   There’s definitely tiers of treatment for various levels of the star players.   So there’s no unity on that level.  

So even though the MLB PU is an absurd thing to me, I hope the strike drags on for two years or more.   Anything to compel nutting to sell the team to someone or some group that wants to put a competitive team out there and win.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd be willing to work as a strike breaker for $5 million for the season.  So the fans have something to watch.  

Have their people call my people.  

Otherwise, I don't care.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#30]
They can't give away tickets down here. Fuck them
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
LoL, sportsballers.  Fuck ‘em, useless Marxist supporters.
View Quote

Not that many in MLB are.   Also not all in the NFL are commies and SJWs.  
Many of them enjoy the same sorts of outdoors sport activities maybe some of you do here.   Why some might even bait their own hook and gut out the wild game they shoot.  Unlike many of the people who post on here, to keep their tender tummies from being upset by the sight and feel of gore
Just like the jealousy here for the salaries these guys take in.   It’s not their fault they’re so absurd.  That sort of jealously makes a man look petty and small.   And like a communist.  
This place really does have a huge segment of the gay communist gun club
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Except for the kids who were always picked last even for dodgeball and kickball in elementary school through high school.   And they have never gotten over it to this day.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Been five years in the making. This one is gonna be a while, especially since the MLBPA seems determined to improve quality of life for minor leaguers
View Quote

An issue that needs to be remedied. Good stoppage.
Go Dodgers.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Interesting. Thanks for posting.

View Quote

Yep. I hadn’t heard about it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Capitalism in action. Both sides have the right to negotiate for their best cut of the money.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good... they get paid way too much... shut that shit, football,  basketball,  nascar, all down...

Inflation
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It certainly will if it’s still going on by spring training.  Sucks.
View Quote
They can just kneel it all away.  BLM supporters will pay their salary.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not that many in MLB are.   Also not all in the NFL are commies and SJWs.  
Many of them enjoy the same sorts of outdoors sport activities maybe some of you do here.   Why some might even bait their own hook and gut out the wild game they shoot.  Unlike many of the people who post on here, to keep their tender tummies from being upset by the sight and feel of gore
Just like the jealousy here for the salaries these guys take in.   It's not their fault they're so absurd.  That sort of jealously makes a man look petty and small.   And like a communist.  
This place really does have a huge segment of the gay communist gun club
View Quote
Brett Nettleton is a former ballplayer and now he's a USPSA Grand Master.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#39]
It's happening!
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Good... they get paid way too much... shut that shit, football,  basketball,  nascar, all down...
View Quote

I agree ?? percent
I quit all pro sports when the kneeling,or not playing national anthem, and BLM  started
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I just don't care what happens with MLB.  I don't even know who won the last World Series.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Who?
View Quote

I assume they mean baseball?   I haven't watched a baseball game in 15+ years.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
meh, the only people that I remotely care about in this situation are the people who sell popcorn, hot dogs, etc at the games.
View Quote

They can learn to code.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  It's actual news on or about April 1.

Now it is just
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Flushed my former favorite team when they pulled this shit amongst other things like Cora
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

The taxpayers who footed the bill for their stadiums, here in PA at least. Fuck childrens games and "your" team, may as  well root for your towns McDonalds VS the next towns.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone found any fucks to give?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The taxpayers who footed the bill for their stadiums, here in PA at least. Fuck childrens games and "your" team, may as  well root for your towns McDonalds VS the next towns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds like you should take that up with your politicians, not the teams.

If I could convince my town to foot half the bill for a new house I sure as hell would, as would most people. The problem is your officials who actually cut the checks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#50]
So the super players are getting huge contracts which means less for the next tier. The teams are filling in the tier 2 with rookies and utility players on the cheap. The tier 2 players don’t like that they’re getting squeezed in salary and in some cases, just getting a contract.

Instead of acknowledging the drop in demand for their services they want the teams to increase the budget.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top