Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Bridges of Spiderman County
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#2]
A lot of you have clearly accepted the very false premise that the primary goal of these movie production companies is to make money.

It's not.

Ever see any cold-war-era movies out of Russia or the other communist countries? They're horrible. But they didn't make them to make money - they made them to indoctrinate people.

They don't care that these movies "bombed." They only care that they got made, and that the message was received by somebody.

Also notice that even though Hollywood movies are bombing, independent movies with better messaging are still having a hard time really breaking through. That's because the market is still controlled by Hollywood. If nothing else, they'll keep pumping out movies like this to crowd out movies like "The Shift" or "Nefarious" or "The Beekeeper."

Money is not their motivating factor. They're spreading their ideology. That's why they're doing it.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A lot of you have clearly accepted the very false premise that the primary goal of these movie production companies is to make money.

It's not.

Ever see any cold-war-era movies out of Russia or the other communist countries? They're horrible. But they didn't make them to make money - they made them to indoctrinate people.

They don't care that these movies "bombed." They only care that they got made, and that the message was received by somebody.

Also notice that even though Hollywood movies are bombing, independent movies with better messaging are still having a hard time really breaking through. That's because the market is still controlled by Hollywood. If nothing else, they'll keep pumping out movies like this to crowd out movies like "The Shift" or "Nefarious" or "The Beekeeper."

Money is not their motivating factor. They're spreading their ideology. That's why they're doing it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Agree. Captain Marvel was just okay, but visually a good flick and I like Brie when she's acting (she's a total you IRL). WW was successful probably due to hype and the fact that Gal Gadot is stunning.
View Quote

A total me in real life? That's one of the more alarming things I've ever read on this site. For some reason.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#5]
The thing that the woke people can’t seem to grasp is that action and comic movies’ target audience are dudes. Dudes don’t give a flying fuck about woke grrlpowa.  Females don’t give enough of a flying fuck about woke grrlpowa to watch action/comic movies.

That, and woke fembots arent interesting.  In the golden age of action movies, there were plenty of strong feminine characters that were NOT the shallow characterizations of modern grrlpowa… like Ripley and Sarah Connor, for example.

Not long ago, someone I know was getting a PhD in film history and was absolutely beat down by the marxists that rule academia (communication media specifically). One of the things they push (total nonsense) is that capitalists push “false consciousness” in movies- the uberliberal establishment of today was brought up to believe that hogwash… their answer? Create a much bigger Faldo consciousness as a society shaping tool…
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3097/3AF4E772-FA4C-4392-8AE4-CC0C671B054D-3132053.jpg

Her origin story is the wildest one yet: She gains her superpowers (spider-like abilities and the power to summon a protective exoskeleton) when she is caught in a gang war between two mystical clans that hang out in Brooklyn, as mystical clans do.

View Quote

Dude, it's based on comic books that have 85 dimensions and 287 alternate Earths.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14563/IMG_0100-3131972.jpghttps://nypost.com/2024/02/13/entertainment/madame-web-review-swat-this-terrible-movie/amp/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_76M4c4LTo

This movie even did worse than Moebius.  I guess Sony has rights to Spider man characters, except for spider man, which they share. It may be the worst box office and rotten tomato score for a marvel character movie. The star of the movie said she didn't watch the Final Cut

For some reason they chose an obscure character as a center piece of a movie about four female spider man related characters. Madam Web is a blind old lady in a wheelchair who can see the future really. In the movie she's a younger woman who can walk and see.

The whole thing sounds like a Babylon Bee article.

View Quote

She wasn’t born old, so at some point in her life she had to be young.

It’s an origin story, so tells the story of how she became blind in a wheelchair. The three girls don’t have any spidey-powers yet, either. They’re just regular teenagers. She has visions of them with powers in the future, but they don’t have them in the movie.

I saw it last night. It was OK.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

*shrug* there could be valid reasons. People waiting for Endgame after that huge cliffhanger, plus summer...

I personally have enjoyed all the Ant Man flicks. Even Quantumania was pretty cool.

I do think that unless there's a shift or Deadpool & Wolverine can resurrect superhero movies... Superhero fatigue may be setting in after all this time. To think that after the first few Marvel movies (Iron Man, Thor, etc.) I was already worried about the fatigue element because I really wanted them to fulfill the promise of the full Thanos/Infinity War story. And did they ever.
View Quote

You would think that Ant Man would also be coasting on the success of the avengers but the second one made about the same amount as the first one ($500mm).  I think the primary difference between Captain Marvel and Ant Man is that CM is the better movie between the 2 and audiences will always respond to that.  Whereas The Marvels just wasn’t very good,
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3097/3AF4E772-FA4C-4392-8AE4-CC0C671B054D-3132053.jpg

Her origin story is the wildest one yet: She gains her superpowers (spider-like abilities and the power to summon a protective exoskeleton) when she is caught in a gang war between two mystical clans that hang out in Brooklyn, as mystical clans do.

View Quote

No she doesn’t. I don’t want to give too much of the movie away, but her powers came from a spider bite when her pregnant mother was in Peru.

ETA: And there’s only one bad guy, not a clan. He’s in Brooklyn for a specific reason, not because that’s where he hangs out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#11]
You couldn't pay me to see that garbage.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah I've noticed this too. This is a rather depressing era of history in a lot of ways. Seems to have left a lot of men looking forward to World War 3 just to see the people behind this get slaughtered by strategic nuclear bombardment of civilian targets.

I don't care who you are. Wallowing in your own narcissism cannot be written in a compelling manner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Publicly wallowing in your own "trauma"* is the current thing for white women these days, so they probably thought this one would be a hit, but they neglected to account for the associated narcissism - these white women don't give shit about other people's stories.

It's mostly all just average bad shit that most people go through in life at one time or another.

Yeah I've noticed this too. This is a rather depressing era of history in a lot of ways. Seems to have left a lot of men looking forward to World War 3 just to see the people behind this get slaughtered by strategic nuclear bombardment of civilian targets.

I don't care who you are. Wallowing in your own narcissism cannot be written in a compelling manner.

No. they will die a slow death of starvation and demoralization, despite their constant bitching because they will be clueless as to how actually solve problems. Middle manager Karen won't be able to harangue other people to do her and her besties' work. There might be a trans or two they worship as being saviors, of being true human beings, being capable of working through a few things they couldn't grasp (a promise of a new Patriarchy free future), but they won't last long because Karen and her cuck follower wiccans won't be able to protect themselves and their groupies during looting raids. The transes will be sacrificed to demonstrate to them their utopian vision of an all-encompassing equity and diversity is not the wished for all-encompassing freak-o-vision wonderful future.  

What is best in life?"
"Crush your enemies,
see them driven before you
and to hear the lamentations of their women"

Nature always wins.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

S.J. Clarkson seems to have been deeply affected by the movies "Bringing out the Dead' and 'Highlander'.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#15]
So when is "Brokeweb Mountain" coming out?
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This DEI shit must end. Spider man is a MAN.
View Quote

Spider Woman (Jessica Drew) has existed in the Marvel Universe for decades.

As well, Madame Web has existed in the Marvel Universe for decades.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I never really read comics.

Watched the cartoon spiderman when it was in reruns afterschool in the early 80's

Wasnt spiderman a fluke superhero, being bitten by a one off radioactive spider.

Where did these other characters come from then.??

Hollywood killed itself! Pretty much dead, with streaming being the nail in the coffin.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#18]
As for where these other spider... People? Have come from. As has been mentioned, it's the inevitable result of a successful and profitable character in the hands of greedy mega corporations.

Honest Trailers - Japanese Spider-Man (Supaidaman)
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I was into Sgt Rock comics in the early-mid 80s but that was about it.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sony’s agreement with Marvel is that they have to make a movie about the characters they’ve licensed every X years (I don’t know what the number is off the top of my head) or the movie rights revert back to Marvel… So Sony pumps out trash “content” movies with decent actors to keep their license intact and reset the timer on it.

The big exception is the Tom Holland Spider Man movies; those were created in conjunction with Marvel to support the Avengers franchise, and those movies were excellent.
View Quote

Damn.  Had no idea this was the case.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Young women in general aren't real interested in super heroine movies and young men have no interest at all in "man hater gurl power" movies.

It's about knowing your audience.  They keep producing a product for an audience that does not exist while trying to push an agenda.

Want women to go see it, make it about a princess doing princess shit.  Make it about a cute animated animal with its cute friends.  Make it about a girl finding her one true love.  Make it about a zany adventure trying to recover her lost cell phone.  Make it about shit women are interested in and then understand that men will still have no interest but will likely be dragged to see it by their girlfriend.

If I have a product to sell I want to aim for the biggest broadest market I possibly can, not some small limited portion of the market.
View Quote

If we think we will get laid we will probably go.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#22]
The heroes had their custom motorcycle suits, as is now the fashion with all the marvel movies.

I bet it had the same blue red black and purple marvel pallette too.

One of the problems with the new movies is if you don't have your ticket in hand you could easily forget which one you're watching. They all look the same.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was into Sgt Rock comics in the early-mid 80s but that was about it.

View Quote

Same, except late 70s-early 80s. Along with some other more obscure military themed comics.

I had no idea what woke trash Marvel really is until other ARFcommers who seemingly appreciated it pointed it out. Hollywood did a pretty good job of hiding it in the original Iron Man and Captain America movies. But by the time Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Endgame came out, it was pretty obvious. I don’t bother with anything under their banner anymore.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#25]
There was thread here about a comic series (or "graphic novel" I guess) that was set in an 80s era post-WW3 world, that would kind be be what a post-Red Dawn worst case scenario would have looked like - anyone know what I'm referring to?  I've been trying to look that up but haven't been able to find it...
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think the problem is that the movie trailers do not give you an idea of what this movie is about. Is there an evil Spider-Man? Is Madame with superhero? Is this an alien space invasion, sci-fi, movie? A horror movie? A psychological thriller?

Did a very bad job advertising it.
View Quote

This. They seem to do this on movies that they really don’t seem to care if it does well or not. It’s like they want to produce some bombs occasionally. You have to try to have a movie completely bomb. If the trailer does not get people even slightly excited it is dead on arrival
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I remember talking to a female coworker who kept gushing over the first Disney Star Wars film.
She never said a word about the plot or the lore, and instead, kept saying how great it was to finally have a female lead in a Star Wars film.
I asked her if she watched the 6 previous films and she said she hadn't.

This film is just another girl-power M-She-U abomination that was written by talentless woke hacks who are determined to ret-con anything they deem as patriarchal.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I watched Morbius in a plane for lack of any other options. It wasn’t great but their are worse movies in the stupid “marvel universe”, I don’t get why it got such derision.
View Quote

I thought ant man was the best of all. Evidently I have no taste
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I watched Morbius in a plane for lack of any other options. It wasn’t great but their are worse movies in the stupid “marvel universe”, I don’t get why it got such derision.

I enjoyed the Ant Man movies too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Grown men watching comic book movies sounds like a Babylon Bee article.
View Quote

Agreed.

I have no idea who those "stars" are either.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Comic book movies done well are fun to watch.

Shitty movies are not.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Spider Woman (Jessica Drew) has existed in the Marvel Universe for decades.

As well, Madame Web has existed in the Marvel Universe for decades.
View Quote

Uggghh...  I'm SICK of that excuse.  

Spoiler: Comics have been trending woke since before woke was a term.  They have ALWAYS pushed social issues, in varying degrees of obviousness.  
It's WELL known at this point that the X-Men were a thinly veiled allegory for racism and anti-homsexual views.  According to your argument therefore, it would be completely acceptable for the next X-Men movie to be 2.5 hours of overt and aggressive LGBTQHJOHOKYGH and DEI themes.  You know, "BeCAUse ThaTS hOW thE CoMIcs WeRE".  
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#33]
How does a movie like that even get made?  A couple of stoners high as fuck at 3am would know its a bad idea.  How does this get funded?
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#34]
don't worry, there's another Spider-Woman film in the works with Olivia Wilde (feminist) directing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Grown men watching comic book movies sounds like a Babylon Bee article.
View Quote

+1
Especially movies that get an IMDB rating of 3.8/10.

IMDB review:
Sony needs to stop making superhero content
I can honestly say that once again (not that anyone is surprised) that Sony has bombed again with its superhero content. Underwhelming action, bad characters, weird dialogue, generic villain. Its just plain bad

I feel bad for the cast of this movie, you have EXCELLENT talent and its just wasted in this cash grab excuse of a movie

Sony has proved once again it can't be trusted with superhero content and has lost what little credibility it had. If the company had any integrity or wits left they should sell their share of ownership back to Marvel and let them assume FULL creative control.

I'm not optimistic for Kraven The Hunter after seeing this gross disappointment.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How does a movie like that even get made?  A couple of stoners high as fuck at 3am would know its a bad idea.  How does this get funded?
View Quote

As said on page 1. Sony shat this out with minimum effort and resource expenditure so they could maintain the rights to these characters. This is probably why they made Morbius as well.

They made several awful Fantastic 4 movies for the exact same reason. They didn't even bother to release one of them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
does sweeney show her boobs?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
does sweeney show her boobs?

According to the Critical Drinker, no. We don't even get to see her in a tight little costume.

Madame Web - The Best Movie Of The Year!
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#39]
My favorite part is when she says "It's webbing time!" Then she webs. 10/10.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A total me in real life? That's one of the more alarming things I've ever read on this site. For some reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agree. Captain Marvel was just okay, but visually a good flick and I like Brie when she's acting (she's a total you IRL). WW was successful probably due to hype and the fact that Gal Gadot is stunning.

autocorrect zapped me... I typed "yob" (Brit slang term I heard somewhere).
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#41]
It occurs to me that the porn version of this may have a better plot and script.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It occurs to me that the porn version of this may have a better plot and script.
View Quote

I would expect that. As soon as you make it outright porn it becomes much easier to make an entertaining story focusing on 4 women.

You could even keep Dakota Johnson as the star.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My favorite part is when she says "It's webbing time!" Then she webs. 10/10.
View Quote

The reason this movie failed is because they didn’t hire more writers like you. lol
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I couldn't tell.

Apparently some super villain is going to kill the other three spider women so the main character saves them using her ability to see and change the future
View Quote

As long as there are lots of drawn-out, overstuffed CGI fight scenes in place of good writing, I'm in!
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Dad I Love You Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Dakota Johnson with clothes = don't care
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quantumania was meh. But the first two were funny!

Evangeline Lilly makes my nether regions feel funny.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They could have made a good spider man style action movie with one of the "spider-woman" type characters.
View Quote

Nope, they need to do Spider Ham
Never got into the "super hero" genre. Loved "The Nam" though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Literally never heard of it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Who would have guessed that 2 Spice Girls like comic movies would be on a race to the bottom.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top