Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2023 3:40:08 PM EDT
Do you pull out to the median and merge into traffic or wait on the perpendicular road until traffic is clear and complete your turn?  

I was always taught to pull out and merge,  especially if the there is heavy traffic.  You have much less time if you wait in the side road before you make the turn.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Median, unless there's a scary amount of traffic.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#2]
You cross into the median and then wait for a gap to complete your turn.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Ha!  That’s what I think too
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Turn right, find a safe place to make a U-turn.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]
It depends on how the crossovers are setup.
They're not all the same, even on the same stretch of road.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Law in GA states that the middle lane is a turning lane and not an acceleration lane.  I've been to defensive driving several times through the years.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Need ms paint
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're talking about a center turn lane, you're doing it wrong.  They are clearly marked with signs and paint - Center Lane Left Turn Only

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're too scared to pull out into the median
in northern Virginia, you'll never get out.

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#14]
OP says median and divided hwy.   I'm assuming photo above is wrong.  If not OP needs to edit first post.  I'm assuming dirt/grass between lanes of travel so if the median is wide enough and there is room I'm going to stop in the middle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Poll shows that at least 15% of GD is pants on head retarded
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, if it's really that busy.  My former housemate's mom was killed making a left from a side street on a busy road like that.  She misjudged traffic and that was that.  If things are so busy that I need to use the turn lane as an onramp, I'm just going to go right and turn around in a parking lot or something.

Every person on the planet who has been killed in a traffic accident that was their fault thought their maneuver was feasible and worth it at the time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you're talking about a center turn lane, you're doing it wrong.  They are clearly marked with signs and paint - Center Lane Left Turn Only

https://static.epermittest.com/media/filer_public/fc/4c/fc4c9924-0447-4b7f-9fa2-95dba2e90a15/turning-center-lane.jpg

View Quote

That's not a median or a divided highway.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Poll shows that at least 15% of GD is pants on head retarded
View Quote

The medians here are only big enough for one car so any more turning end up waiting in the prior lane and good chance of getting rear ended.
Bad design IMO.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#19]
if youre gonna pull to the median, FFS pull all the way up and dont leave the ass of your car blocking traffic like most retards do when they try this

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife and I almost got divorced over things like this. If I pull to the median she gasps like I'm about to hit the cars in the driving lane. If she's driving I get impatient watching so many opportunities go by and if I say anything it's a fight.

I have learned to stay quiet for the sake of an otherwise happy marriage but dammit

MEDIAN
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

And never ever pull out to that median if a big truck is making a right-hand turn in front of you.
I almost did this once and decided to wait, as the truck was making its turn this little car in the left lane beside the truck zips on by, I never saw it because of the truck.
If I had tried to pull into that median that car would have nailed me right in the driver's side door.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP says median and divided hwy.   I'm assuming photo above is wrong.  If not OP needs to edit first post.  I'm assuming dirt/grass between lanes of travel so if the median is wide enough and there is room I'm going to stop in the middle.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My wife and I almost got divorced over things like this. If I pull to the median she gasps like I'm about to hit the cars in the driving lane. If she's driving I get impatient watching so many opportunities go by and if I say anything it's a fight.

I have learned to stay quiet for the sake of an otherwise happy marriage but dammit

MEDIAN
View Quote
You let the wife drive?

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I realize its Alaska, but here if you drive into the median on a divided hyway, you are going to get a nice ticket..now if you are going to use the center lane between traffic directions, you use it for turning only, not accelerating....
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I realize its Alaska, but here if you drive into the median on a divided hyway, you are going to get a nice ticket..now if you are going to use the center lane between traffic directions, you use it for turning only, not accelerating....
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top