Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2023 4:12:55 PM EDT
Long story short, the rear barn doors on my enclosed 6x10 cargo trailer need replaced.  My parents have been using it as storage for the past 10+ years and the doors have corroded to the point that they're unusable.  They're just shot, to the point that the aluminum extrusion / frame around the door even needs replaced.  

My current plan is to cut some 1/2" ply to size, sheet the back (road) side with some metal, see if I can source the aluminum frame / door trim and seal, and build a couple of replacements.  Maybe go with luan and 1x boards.  Depends on the actual construction / thickness I find when I take them apart.  The hinges and steel hardware (door latches, locking rod, etc) should be ok to go.

Before I go this route...has anyone else done something like this and / or have any suggestions?  The doors in question are this style...but corroded and warped beyond usage.  

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry I have no specific ideas, but always consider water incursion that will delaminate the plywood. Marine grade plywood or other waterproof/resistant material would be worth the added cost.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Which manufacturer? They typically sell parts or you may be able to buy the doors. I wouldnt want to go the home built route because they won’t function near as well as oem.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which manufacturer? They typically sell parts or you may be able to buy the doors. I wouldnt want to go the home built route because they won't function near as well as oem.
View Quote
I'll have to check manufacturer when I get home.  I called around about doors and was quoted $1500 or so for the pair.  Which IMO is about what the trailer is worth.  At this point we're trying to extend life vs letting it just rot into the ground.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Trailers are moving higher than usual right now.

Sell it for whatever you can get out of it and then replace it with a new one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
This video looks handy.  I'll probably do something along these lines.

TRAILER DOOR REBUILD Pt1 How To Rebuild Side Door Caro Trailer

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top