Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2024 9:30:07 PM EDT
You got a week, watch it.  Increase your testosterone.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I have it on DVD at the cabin and watch it maybe every other time im up here.  Its streaming free on plex and a few others.  No excuses.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Always a good movie to watch, it’s more of a winter time movie for me.
Based on a real life characters and manhunt.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 12:35:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20240701_035957775_jpeg-3255721.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/IMG_4322_jpeg-3255725.JPG

I have it on DVD at the cabin and watch it maybe every other time im up here.  Its streaming free on plex and a few others.  No excuses.
View Quote

Thank you.

The real Albert Johnson.

My lord I forgot how beautiful Angie Dickinson was

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 12:56:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank you.

The real Albert Johnson.
https://i.postimg.cc/hGHx5n82/Mad-Trapper-Na-1258-119.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/5yctJNjR/206419.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20240701_035957775_jpeg-3255721.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/IMG_4322_jpeg-3255725.JPG

Thank you.

The real Albert Johnson.

Some interesting reading for sure on the "real" story.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:10:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn good movie, it's been on my radar. I only watch old movies, the new ones have just gone to shit. Keep the old movie suggestions coming.
Another pretty good movie that I watched recently was "The Earthling ", not a great deal of action but it has a good plot.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:14:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Excellent suggestion, OP. I've loved that one since the first time I saw it as a smaller, younger version of me. Unlike most people, I was never a child.

Quoted:
Damn good movie, it's been on my radar. I only watch old movies, the new ones have just gone to shit. Keep the old movie suggestions coming.
Another pretty good movie that I watched recently was "The Earthling ", not a great deal of action but it has a good plot.
View Quote

Do you have a preferred genre? My favorite old films are westerns.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:39:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do you have a preferred genre? My favorite old films are westerns.
View Quote
Not really, I like a good plot and good acting. Western, drama or action. I rewatched "The Cowboys " last week and "Runaway Jury" after that, I forgot the latter was a firearm related trial and the liberals won. It left me feeling angry because they cheated.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:46:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Great movie.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:54:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 6:58:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Great movie.  Bronson says a lot without saying much.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 7:58:59 AM EDT
[#10]
The scene where they see each other in the binoculars and grin just gets me every time.
Marvin smiles like the Cheshire Cat.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Charles Bronson. the Embodiment of the Real American in the 70s dude.

He signed my CCW permit while he was Sec. Of Florida Department of Agriculture.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, along with Carpenter's The Thing.

Marvin looked like he had some fun making this movie.  Or he just got all of the great lines.  

Edit:  for more of a summertime movie, movie night here will be "To Live and Die in LA."  She likes Dafoe and Peterson, and hopefully isn't holding against me how slow Manhunter was.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#15]
A great movie that is NEVER on TV or TCM :(

I have to find a DVD.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#16]
"That's one way to stop the buzzing"

Another CB movie you don't see to often is Hard Times..I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Dat bear trap scene...
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Never heard of it. But I like Charles Bronson. So I'll check it out
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Sand Pebbles Trailer 1966.flv
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#21]

What does this tell us about Rotten Tomatoes as a reliable movie critic?  

Though the critic <20%, audience >70% is usually a clue for an entertaining two hours...
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What does this tell us about Rotten Tomatoes as a reliable movie critic?  

Though the critic <20%, audience >70% is usually a clue for an entertaining two hours..
View Quote

I agree with that usually being a good indicator.  The wider the gap, the better.

The inverse of that (high critic score & low audience score) usually indicates a DEI/Woke movie/series that should probably be ignored.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

After pouring cement and staining the porch all day in 100 degrees heat, I could go for a wintertime film!
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol!

I got my gas from him!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#25]
On the topic of movies, I just now discovered there is an earlier version of "Day of The Jackyl" (1973). It looks interesting.

The Day of the Jackal (1973) custom-made rifle & test fire - 1080p HD

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Watching for first time right now.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
On the topic of movies, I just now discovered there is an earlier version of "Day of The Jackyl" (1973). It looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ZyH8yBTck
View Quote

That film, Fred Zimmerman's, usually pops up on lists of finest films ever made.

Deservedly so.  Excellent movie.

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

One of my all time favorites!
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Where did you find this? Never seen it on streaming. As another poster said hard times is good too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Great Movie

Marvin and Bronson together in a movie is a must watch.

Angie Dickinson performs the same speech on Marvin as she did to John Wayne in Rio Bravo.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Lol!

I got my gas from him!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol!

I got my gas from him!!!

Guns and gas. What could be more American than that?

America! Fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag for interest - might try to watch tonight.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I agree with that usually being a good indicator.  The wider the gap, the better.

The inverse of that (high critic score & low audience score) usually indicates a DEI/Woke movie/series that should probably be ignored.
View Quote

And damnit, I like movie critics. Or, at least I used to.  

Plinkett's lengthy shredding of the Phantom Menace will make you reexamine how you view visual media.  
Ebert was right:  8 1/2, La Dolce Vita, Nights of Cabiria, are absolutely fucking genius movies.  Not simply because of how they're satirized.

Rashomon if you've never seen it:  Will absolutely change how you view the world.  I don't really remember my undergrad historiography class, other than an appreciation for Tacitus (I really need to compare his writing to Xenophon---guess I need a good translation), except that, one night, we got dragged to watch Rashomon.  I'm not kidding that this was probably the most important college class I ever had.

So the critics are usually right!  Or, at least they used to be.  I don't have the time to find a "The Woman in the Dunes"; they do.  

But it doesn't work that way anymore, does it?
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thank you.

The real Albert Johnson.

View Quote

Is the [ obviously] top pic post mortem
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Features Michael Lonsdale of Ronin and Munich.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Dickinson kept her married name after her first divorce. She married Burt Bacharach in 1965. They remained a married couple for 16 years, though late in their marriage they had a period of separation during which they dated other people. Bacharach and Dickinson had a daughter named Nikki (born July 12, 1966), who was autistic. Nikki died by suicide on January 4, 2007. The elder Bacharach died in 2023.

In 2023, Dickinson stated that she had a 20-year on-and-off affair with Frank Sinatra, and that he was the love of her life and "one of the most charismatic men that ever was" . Dickinson had a relationship with musician Billy Vera in the 1980s and appeared in the music video for his single "I Can Take Care of Myself". For several years in the 1990s, Dickinson dated radio and television interviewer Larry King. In a 2006 interview with NPR, Dickinson stated that she was a Democrat. She campaigned for Kennedy's presidential campaign in 1960 and supported Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964.

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#37]
The French Connection and Bullitt are two of my favorites.

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And damnit, I like movie critics. Or, at least I used to.  

Plinkett's lengthy shredding of the Phantom Menace will make you reexamine how you view visual media.  
Ebert was right:  8 1/2, La Dolce Vita, Nights of Cabiria, are absolutely fucking genius movies.  Not simply because of how they're satirized.

Rashomon if you've never seen it:  Will absolutely change how you view the world.  I don't really remember my undergrad historiography class, other than an appreciation for Tacitus (I really need to compare his writing to Xenophon---guess I need a good translation), except that, one night, we got dragged to watch Rashomon.  I'm not kidding that this was probably the most important college class I ever had.

So the critics are usually right!  Or, at least they used to be.  I don't have the time to find a "The Woman in the Dunes"; they do.  

But it doesn't work that way anymore, does it?
View Quote

I teach film and my goal is to not only teach to the standards, but also aim to open a student's viewpoint by exposing them to films that they would typically not screen (like Rashomon).  That film is so applicable in times like these where everyone is living "their truth."

What's even better is when they use films like you mentioned as influences to their own creative process.  

Everything is a remix, but it's cool to see the originators make cinematic discoveries that question your perspective and ways of doing things.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:28:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Death Hunt was not available on my normal streaming services - will have to hunt it up latter.  Watched The Earthing - good.  Will start Day of the Jackal next.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 4:31:57 AM EDT
[#40]
I just watched Death Hunt tonight on a Roku device using a streaming app called Free Movies+. It does have commercials.

I don’t recall having seen the movie before and enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 4:43:30 AM EDT
[#41]
My wife hadn't seen Jeremiah Johnson so that was tonight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top