Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Meal Plans in a box (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2024 6:07:02 PM EDT
My sammich maker and I got tired of sammiches and having tons of leftover that just go bad so we decided to the do the meal delivery plan thing for a bit.

We decided on Everyplate.  We get 3 meals for each of us, so three suppers for us to cook and eat together.  $55

Every box comes with all you need except for the occasional butter, oil you may need and a pan.  

So far the meals have be very tasty with no waste.  We have had pastas, burgers, rice dinners, chicken breast menus and more.  

We don't have to purchase a ton of extra food we won't eat, and don't end up in rut for meals because they vary.  All come with recipe cards that are clear and easily followed.  Most meals are done from prep to table in about 30-40mins.  

Have any of you tried Everyplate, Hellofresh etc? Did you shop around for the best cost or best menus?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#1]
You should sign up for Meals on Wheels..
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
We've been using Home Chef for our family of four for about 4 months now and we are very happy with it. Very little waste, the food is amazing and even my picky daughters enjoy most of the meals.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
View Quote

I don't like canned beans, corn and dried instant mashed potatoes.  Much less week old meatloaf.  

I had pepper jack pork burgers seared in a cast iron for supper tonight with sliced jalapeños and tomatoes and some sort of sauce you make with sour cream.  Home fries with some sort of southwest seasoning.  No way meals on wheels will serve that.

Of course my wife and I actually cook our food.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Polska_Kielbasa:
We've been using Home Chef for our family of four for about 4 months now and we are very happy with it. Very little waste, the food is amazing and even my picky daughters enjoy most of the meals.
View Quote

We’ve used Home Chef on and off for the past 6 months or so.  We’ve found most of the dishes to be very good and our 12 year old daughter can cook most of them easily by herself. Previously tried Hello Fresh but didn’t really like it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I use Tovala. Most of the meals are pretty good. The special oven you need seems like a gimmick but it actually works well. It is literally idiot proof meal prep. Most of time the prep is just "put the seasoning on the meat/fish/whatever, put it in the oven, and scan the barcode"
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#6]
i have a freeze drier and several vacuum sealers, therefore very little food waste

and relying on everything in the world to be working perfectly for my next meal would just bother the fuck out of me
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Polska_Kielbasa:
View Quote

How much does it cost.  They aren't forthcoming when you look at their website.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NoahFN:

We’ve used Home Chef on and off for the past 6 months or so.  We’ve found most of the dishes to be very good and our 12 year old daughter can cook most of them easily by herself. Previously tried Hello Fresh but didn’t really like it.
View Quote

From what I understand HelloFresh and EveryPlate are the same company.  The meals appear to be similar but HelloFresh was more expensive.  They also have a more varied selection with a number of light lunch type of selections.  EveryPlate is pretty much supper after work type meals.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I almost spit out my bourbon.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#11]
HelloFresh wasn't.

Hungry Root was good but my wife likes everything Ohio style so it was a too much of an argument over seasonings & flavors. I liked it, you can add or remove ingredients, pick your entrees, it is very flexible. It was really nice to have a weeks worth of meals and not have to deal with that stress since we both work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

View Quote

That's always the question isn't it. I guess I'm stuck in the 80s because you lost me when you said leftovers that spoiled. I was raised to eat leftovers before anything new was cooked.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#13]
My brother calls me and says he sent me 6 free meals from one of those things.

Next thing you know I am paying a few hundred bucks for crap I don't need and have to figure out how to cancel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:32:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#14]
My sammich maker and I got tired of sammiches and having tons of leftover that just go bad so we decided to the do the meal delivery plan thing for a bit.

We decided on Everyplate.  We get 3 meals for each of us, so three suppers for us to cook and eat together.  $55

Every box comes with all you need except for the occasional butter, oil you may need and a pan.  

So far the meals have be very tasty with no waste.  We have had pastas, burgers, rice dinners, chicken breast menus and more.  

We don't have to purchase a ton of extra food we won't eat, and don't end up in rut for meals because they vary.  All come with recipe cards that are clear and easily followed.  Most meals are done from prep to table in about 30-40mins.  

Have any of you tried Everyplate, Hellofresh etc? Did you shop around for the best cost or best menus?
View Quote
This isn't some big wide spread problem that everyone is looking for a solution for.  If you have more leftovers than you can eat before they spoil...cook less food to begin with.  I don't see how this answer isn't obvious.

If you want your food delivered to your doorstep, you can most certainly choose that, it's a free country.  Your "problem" though that you are saying you are solving, is just something you are making up and/or are intentionally causing.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:34:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MilHouse-556] [#15]
Too expensive, too much waste products to get it to your house and the food isn't that great.

I guess if you compare it to eating out its cheaper but that's not a good bar to compare it to.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:38:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JamesJones] [#16]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
This isn't some big wide spread problem that everyone is looking for a solution for.  If you have more leftovers than you can eat before they spoil...cook less food to begin with.  I don't see how this answer isn't obvious.

If you want your food delivered to your doorstep, you can most certainly choose that, it's a free country.  Your "problem" though that you are saying your solving, is just something you are making up and/or are intentionally causing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If you want your food delivered to your doorstep, you can most certainly choose that, it's a free country.  Your "problem" though that you are saying your solving, is just something you are making up and/or are intentionally causing.

Honestly this

You can prep meat from the grocery store and freeze in dinner portions. Veggies need to be shopped for weekly for the average person.

Spices, sauces, sides, condiments, or similar last a long time.

The biggest problem is recipes to change things up. Online has literally millions but you have to get through the authors life story and why they love the meal.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#17]
We did a few months of Hello Fresh, but our schedules are busy, and found it hard to use all the food by the end of the week.

We're using Factor meals now.  It's not cheap, but both find it easier to use.  I take several to work each week, and squeeze a quick meal between meetings.

Flavor is good, easy to use, and we use them.  I will eat them for breakfast sometimes.  

2:00 minutes in a microwave and they're ready to eat.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:43:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Polska_Kielbasa] [#18]

View Quote

We are using the family plan from Home Chef. It's around $100 for 3 meals each week. It breaks down to between $6-$8 per serving.

They also have a premium plan which is a bit more fancy meals and those are between $11-$13 per serving. Sometimes we mix those in.

It works for us.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I get the factor_75 for a few lunch/dinner during the week when I need to save time.

they're actually pretty good, well the ground beef isn't great but the pork and chicken meals are killer.

they are motherfuckin expensive though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:

That's always the question isn't it. I guess I'm stuck in the 80s because you lost me when you said leftovers that spoiled. I was raised to eat leftovers before anything new was cooked.
View Quote

Dude we are empty nesters.  I don't like the same damn thing for a week.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

No judgment it's just a foreign concept to me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:12:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#22]

If you want your food delivered to your doorstep, you can most certainly choose that, it's a free country.  Your "problem" though that you are saying you are solving, is just something you are making up and/or are intentionally causing.

View Quote

the problem is

Most meat is packaged in to large amounts, most bags of potatoes are in POUNDS that go bad before we can eat them all.  Most simple things like sour cream come in quantities that will go bad before we use it all.  

Serving sizes tend to be more because we cook more than we need and if we don't the ingredients go bad.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#23]
My sisters got that for my dad after mom passed away. They had some decent recipes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:34:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: intheburbs] [#24]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 1975:
Ten 2200 calorie MREs - $42.95
View Quote

Thanks.  Been looking for something to add to my stash.  I'll give a ten meal case a try.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:43:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: neostoicism] [#26]

the problem is

Most meat is packaged in to large amounts, most bags of potatoes are in POUNDS that go bad before we can eat them all.  Most simple things like sour cream come in quantities that will go bad before we use it all.  

Serving sizes tend to be more because we cook more than we need and if we don't the ingredients go bad.
View Quote

Go to your local butcher or meat counter and order any weight of meat you want.  Don’t buy prepackaged shit.

You can buy one potato at a time, 4 lbs, 8 lbs or 10 lbs.

Sour cream comes in large containers all the way down to a couple ounces.

It’s incredibly simple to just walk into the store and buy smaller amounts.  

It’s ok if you like these meal plans, but don’t act like there’s no way you can buy less than 5 lbs of meat or something.  It’s a self caused problem.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By cavedog:

Thanks.  Been looking for something to add to my stash.  I'll give a ten meal case a try.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cavedog:

If you really want some of those go to epidemicproof.com
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

When I lived up in DC a lot of the younger crowd used a service like this. Some were doing Keto or carnivore and these meal delivery services catered to that as well. As far as I recall I never heard anyone bitch about any of them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I have been using hello fresh for probably like 4 years now.

I get 3 meals a week as that’s all we are home for.  

It’s easy

I go to the grocery store to get some breakfast items for daughter and that’s about it

Some of the meals aren’t the greatest, but I don’t have to think, and might I add again, easy.

I can cook great, heck I used to do bbq and all that stuff.  Got a big green egg sitting on the porch I haven’t used in 3 years.  Just don’t have the time anymore.  

For lunch I either take the leftovers from hello fresh, or I’m out with clients anyways.

Breakfast is some fruit and a protein shake
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Me too.

My wife cooks for the two of us and doesn't waste or throw away much. She makes something home made 2 days in a row...then we rotate the leftovers the next 2 days. Then repeat.

Op is creating his own problems.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Today I saw a small van and it said "kids meals".

I guess they drive around and deliver meals to kids. Weird.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Subbed.

Good thread.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#33]
We did and it was fine but i recently got a sous vida, vacuum sealer, and a traeger. My meal prep is to smoke meaf each weekend and then make dishes that i seal and freeze and then just reheat in the sous vida. Soooo easy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:24:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#34]

I don't like canned beans, corn and dried instant mashed potatoes.  Much less week old meatloaf.  

I had pepper jack pork burgers seared in a cast iron for supper tonight with sliced jalape os and tomatoes and some sort of sauce you make with sour cream.  Home fries with some sort of southwest seasoning.  No way meals on wheels will serve that.

View All Quotes

I had pepper jack pork burgers seared in a cast iron for supper tonight with sliced jalape os and tomatoes and some sort of sauce you make with sour cream.  Home fries with some sort of southwest seasoning.  No way meals on wheels will serve that.

I volunteer there.
That's not what it is... it's good fresh food cooked locally.
The biggest service we provide is customer interactions.. some of these people don't have anyone. We provide a friendly face, conversation and a meal.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Former hellofresh customer here.

Meals were easy to cook and very tasty. Very tasty!

They are hard to get your order sized correctly.
It seemed like we were in between the lowest tier and 2nd.

One week we’d have too much, the next week not enough.

Very expensive compared to shopping the grocery store.

Also, they do not make it easy to cancel.
Would not recommend based on our attempts to cancel, and the games played to keep us on the program.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:05:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Used to do Plated until they closed up.  I miss it.  Was nice to just have dinner planned and ready to cook in the fridge a couple nights a week.  Sure, it cost too much, but the convenience of having a couple meals a week already decided and proportioned was super nice.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I use every plate and if you cancel after you use the promotion they throw more promotions at you. I haven’t paid more than 60 bucks a box and I’m up to 6 meals for 6 people at this point. 4 meals for 4 people is like 40 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#38]

I volunteer there.
The biggest service we provide is customer interactions.. some of these people don't have anyone. We provide a friendly face, conversation and a meal.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252915/1000003322_jpg-3196309.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252915/1000003321_jpg-3196306.JPG
View Quote

That would not be passed out here.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't know what's around your area but in my old location the local store near me had a "snack bar" area that had a full kitchen in the back to supply the steam tables and one of the things they did was put out meals, mains and sides in the refrigerated section right across the aisle.

I could grab a couple different meals for when I worked the 12 weekend shift, way better than the vending machine garbage and less hassle than running out for fast food at lunch time.

Could be an option if available.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

I volunteer there.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252915/1000003322_jpg-3196309.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252915/1000003321_jpg-3196306.JPG

I looked at 3 different locations in your state.... The food pictures were acceptable... I'm sure they're not as nice as what you're used to eating... However they're not nearly as bad as week old meatloaf... My point is I wanted you to be aware that Meals on Wheels is not what you think it is.  .. One of the things it is not is left over food from restaurants.

My first post was a joke..... Obviously you're not going to be getting Meals on Wheels. You're not gonna even qualify.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:44:47 AM EDT
[#41]
$55 for food for three people for a meal you have to prepare? GTFOOH.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Costs too much for too little food. Might as well get take out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By macman37:
Costs too much for too little food. Might as well get take out.
View Quote

What I was going to say. $25 per person? If there is too much food, don’t cook so much. Buy loose potatoes not 5lb bags. I think you are selling something because most of the world can figure it out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

But they aren't "MREs", they're HDRs.

They will feed you, and some of the components are good, but I think the only advantage they have over issue MREs is that they're cheap.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#45]
We did one of them, maybe Hello Fresh.

I thought the value wasn’t there.  Tasty enough, but heavy on the carbs, light on protein and small portions for the money.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#46]
I may try that, we get a box of "factor" meals once in a while for some quick meal options, they're ok, but kinda pricey. Wife and I work full time, my 10yo eats almost as much as I do at this point, and none of us are "into" cooking. We have a hard time coming up with decent meal plans, and I have no interest in spending too much time on meal prep or portioning. I like having some ready made/easily made options.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Home Chef > Every Plate

Home Chef is definitely more expensive but after starting there Every Plate was just 'meh'
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By PrincipsPistol:
I may try that, we get a box of "factor" meals once in a while for some quick meal options, they're ok, but kinda pricey. Wife and I work full time, my 10yo eats almost as much as I do at this point, and none of us are "into" cooking. We have a hard time coming up with decent meal plans, and I have no interest in spending too much time on meal prep or portioning. I like having some ready made/easily made options.
View Quote

You could probably just go get one of the pre-prepped, toss-in-the-oven meals at your local grocery store or Sams/Costco and still be ahead of this game because it’s not a subscription. Everyone has them now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:28:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ManMan] [#49]
We've rotated through many of the home meal kits, Blue Apron, HelloFresh, etc etc.    Some are certainly better than others on quality, and most certainly on attention to details on the recipes!  

Overall,  the quality is pretty good.  You're paying for convenience over doing your own planning/shopping,  but it's cheaper AND healthier than fastfood!    My wife enjoys cooking,  but she hates meal planning so it works for us.

Also look at your local grocery store,  I've seen a couple that have started offering their own meal kits
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Tried those before.  Awesome at first but then the intro pricing expires.  

Then you realize its more expensive than takeout plus you have to cook it yourself.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Meal Plans in a box (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top