Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

6 speed?  9 speed?  newer 10 speed?

Capacities and drain/fill amount are all different (as are the fluids required)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bmarshall1:
ETA: It appears the Oddy carries about 7.4 qts of fluid, drain and refill 4 qts will get you to the top of the 'full' on the dipstick, so it appears for a spill and fill you're replacing about 50%.  Someone may come in and correct me.

6 speed?  9 speed?  newer 10 speed?

Capacities and drain/fill amount are all different (as are the fluids required)

Good point, mine is a 2011, 6 speed I believe.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
Since we are on the subject

I have a Tahoe with 324k miles, transmission fluid hasn't been changed since 2012/120k miles.

I figured it made no sense to change it at this point, but am I wrong?
View Quote

don't do it on that trans. that little hole is gonna getted plugged up
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#3]
There are two ways to treat a transmission: 1) change per the recommended schedule or 2) never change it. Transmissions have many small passages that are easily clogged with debris. Changing routinely keeps contaminants dissolved which then get drained and removed. Driving a car 100k miles without changing it allows all of that crap to build up. A new dose of fluid will set all of that free and it circulates until it finds a hole too small to pass. It clogs and tranny no worky.

This came from a transmission mechanic who came into my store hears ago and bought a dolly full of carb cleaner about once per week. He said most rebuilds require no parts. Only a good cleaning.

I saw this phenomenon myself with my dad’s Buick and a 90s honda accord.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 4:14:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#4]
Originally Posted By Low-Cap:
There are two ways to treat a transmission: 1) change per the recommended schedule or 2) never change it. Transmissions have many small passages that are easily clogged with debris. Changing routinely keeps contaminants dissolved which then get drained and removed. Driving a car 100k miles without changing it allows all of that crap to build up. A new dose of fluid will set all of that free and it circulates until it finds a hole too small to pass. It clogs and tranny no worky.

This came from a transmission mechanic who came into my store hears ago and bought a dolly full of carb cleaner about once per week. He said most rebuilds require no parts. Only a good cleaning.

View Quote

This advice died in the 90s with the Buick and the accord. It is not true with modern transmissions, especially import transmissions.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#5]

This advice died in the 90s with the Buick and the accord. It is not true with modern transmissions, especially import transmissions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thank you, my thought as well. And that "transmission mechanic" was FOS.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

On certain trannies yes, but on the ones I mentioned, change the fluid
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By airbender:

thats the way my 98 civic is 3qts, no filter just a screen somewhere in it they say....drian and fill a couple of times a year keeps it super clean.
View Quote

there is a filter, it's just a metal mesh filter.  It's somewhere in this picture for your 98 civic
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top