Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2024 7:33:22 AM EDT
Hi there

I have a metal building and the people who had it built didn’t use any foam closure strips around the base. Bugs come in through there and light and grass. I’m trying to fix it and I have foam closure strips but it’s going to be a pain to undo all the screws and place the closures in there. Friend of mine who does construction says to use cement leveler and pour it in there so it fills in the gaps. What are your thoughts on this? It’s way easier and I won’t have to worry about the r panels being super flush against the foam. Here is a picture of the issue.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Fill the holes with expanding foam?
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 7:55:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Yank79:
Fill the holes with expanding foam?
View Quote

Seems an easy way to fill the large ribs.

Bead of silicone for the small ribs and elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought about that but I’m concerned about getting it in the small areas. I’m also concerned about putting too much and then I have to cut it. If the cement leveler leaks out it’s no big deal because it won’t stand out against the foundation. Just my thoughts but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I would be cautious about dumping leveler in there.

If you end up creating pockets that hold moisture against the metal sheeting things are going to rust out down the line .
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By nhsport:

If you end up creating pockets that hold moisture against the metal sheeting things are going to rust out down the line .
View Quote

That’s a good point, I hadn’t thought of that. What would you suggest?
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#6]
As stated, spray foam for large areas, silicone or other flexible sealant for the smaller gaps.
Once hardened, any errant drops of foam will easily scrape up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like that’s becoming the easiest option. I really don’t want things to rust.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there less of a concern with foam creating an air pocket where moisture could occur?
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By nhsport:

View Quote

My pole barn shop is done like that.  It was here when we bought the place pre-2000 and I haven't seen any problems with that yet.

I dunno though.  If it were me I'd probably just back the screws out, insert the strip and screw it back down.  That's what they make teenagers for.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 5:02:32 AM EDT
[#10]
If you want to try the spray foam, try the less-expanding foam that they make.
It might not expand so much that trimming will be necessary.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 5:16:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd back out the screws and insert the foam fillers. It will probably go more quickly than you think and it'll be done right. Anything else is a work around that you hope works but is also a gamble.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:
I'd back out the screws and insert the foam fillers. It will probably go more quickly than you think and it'll be done right. Anything else is a work around that you hope works but is also a gamble.
View Quote

I can understand that. One of the other issues I ran into, the metal doesn’t make full contact with the foam fillers so in some places, I still see light coming through. I could probably put more screws in at the base to make it more flush
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RandyLahey01:

I can understand that. One of the other issues I ran into, the metal doesn’t make full contact with the foam fillers so in some places, I still see light coming through. I could probably put more screws in at the base to make it more flush
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RandyLahey01:
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:

You could seal the tops of the gaps in the foam with a urethane sealant such as Sika.  They make one that doesn't flow as much as the other type they have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top