Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/18/2020 10:36:29 PM EDT
Catherine Herridge (@CBS_Herridge) Tweeted:Microsoft's president tells @CBSNews "this attack is still taking place, the industry is scrambling, people in government are scrambling to get it under control, but it's not under control yet"

Link

Apparently this has been going on for over a month. Yeah, most secure election ever!

Here is a list so far of what agencies have been attacked

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
What department is responsible for sounding the purge siren?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

CCP
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
The one I think where President Trump fired the guy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Catherine Herridge (@CBS_Herridge) Tweeted:Microsoft's president tells @CBSNews "this attack is still taking place, the industry is scrambling, people in government are scrambling to get it under control, but it's not under control yet"

Link

Apparently this has been going on for over a month. Yeah, most secure election ever!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/288245/a632ed55-e779-4482-aea3-c100b8589aa6_jpg-1737681.JPG
View Quote
This has been going on since March 2020.  They just found it recently.
This is the tip of the iceberg.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Which 3 states?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#8]
i wonder what the actual fallout from this will wind up looking like.

it's incredible.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Could the “tools” recently stolen from that cyber security company be aiding “these” hackers?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought I’d read somewhere today that the attack has been going on for 8-9 months and it’s just in the last month that it was discovered.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Link

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/288245/a632ed55-e779-4482-aea3-c100b8589aa6_jpg-1737681.JPG
View Quote
I just want to say that having almost 20 years in as a "security professional", with most of it centered around cyber crime, incident response, threat intelligence and a good bit of exposure to Corporate America and the Government, I'm not surprised at all they got butt fucked.

A great many security programs are "security theater" to pad the pockets of executives and nothing more.

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Which 3 states?
View Quote

Not sure, I'm seeing where is just wasn't the US but several countries as well. TBH, I starting to think that German Server story may have some validity! How the hell was this kept from the American Public and how is Republican's/Mitch saying Biden was elected fairly!
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought I'd read somewhere today that the attack has been going on for 8-9 months and it's just in the last month that it was discovered.
View Quote
You read that right. It's been underway since roughly March.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#15]
The voting machines were probably hacked too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You read that right. It's been underway since roughly March.
View Quote

do we have any idea what the implications of something like that would be? I've been having a hard time following this one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Whoever os responsible be it China or Russia we should cripple them
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just want to say that having almost 20 years in as a "security professional", with most of it centered around cyber crime, incident response, threat intelligence and a good bit of exposure to Corporate America and the Government, I'm not surprised at all they got butt fucked.

A great many security programs are "security theater" to pad the pockets of executives and nothing more.

View Quote
@navvet89

My exposure to .gov IT is much more limited than yours (3 years here), but I'm utterly fucking astounded and how much 'zero fucks given' is taken to IT security where I work.  It wasn't until we got hit with a virus that my boss went "how did this happen?!" like it was some fucking surprise.

I won't list the details, but guessable passwords, deprecated unpatched OS's running in the LE side of things, passwords written on post it notes, you name it were abound.  Hell we still have an ASA running code from 10 years ago that has never been patched, and that's our primary firewall.

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#19]
That heritage gal is an CBS, lol...
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

do we have any idea what the implications of something like that would be? I've been having a hard time following this one.
View Quote
It's possible whoever did this, STILL has ADMIN level access to just about everything .gov

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, at least the dominion voting machines were secure.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That heritage gal is an CBS, lol...
View Quote

Yeah, I was kinda shocked CBS is reporting this. Heritage has been pretty solid on her reporting considering.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry citizens we are going to have to shut down the power grid for 2 weeks.... You know, too slow the curve.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#24]
The UHS attack was a nice test run.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#26]
World War 3 will start with computer hacks.  The Chicoms could probably take down our power grid at anytime

Completely fuck our nationwide commerce network

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@navvet89

My exposure to .gov IT is much more limited than yours (3 years here), but I'm utterly fucking astounded and how much 'zero fucks given' is taken to IT security where I work.  It wasn't until we got hit with a virus that my boss went "how did this happen?!" like it was some fucking surprise.

I won't list the details, but guessable passwords, deprecated unpatched OS's running in the LE side of things, passwords written on post it notes, you name it were abound.  Hell we still have an ASA running code from 10 years ago that has never been patched, and that's our primary firewall.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@navvet89

it's like that just about everywhere.

In my experience executive leaderships concerns center around looking good, keeping audit and regulators off their ass and setting themselves up for the next gig. Very very rarely do they actually have the skill sets, wherewithal and fucks to give to do the right thing. My current employer only has about 3 people that have any real experience, the rest of the organizations leadership and worker bees have a complete lack of understanding of basic information security concepts. This is a Fortune 100 mind you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I think this is less an attack and more someone keeps leaving doors open or outright uplinking shit to sites to allow access. Is it no wonder they can’t stop it if people are actively allowing it?
ETA Covid restrictions in fed buildings has allowed people to have access to things without a lot of eyes around. It’s been way easier to deploy this shit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Funny Dancing Puppet Show for Kids

Edwin Starr - War (Original Video - 1969)

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Did the Chinese not get their passwords from the transition team yet?

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

it's like that just about everywhere.

In my experience executive leaderships concerns center around looking good, keeping audit and regulators off their ass and setting themselves up for the next gig. Very very rarely do they actually have the skill sets, wherewithal and fucks to give to do the right thing. My current employer only has about 3 people that have any real experience, the rest of the organizations leadership and worker bees have a complete lack of understanding of basic information security concepts. This is a Fortune 100 mind you.
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s getting to the point that anything that didn’t have an air gap has to be physically removed and thrown out. It’s that bad.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think this is less an attack and more someone keeps leaving doors open or outright uplinking shit to sites to allow access. Is it no wonder they can't stop it if people are actively allowing it?
View Quote
Agreed with it's not an attack.  Yet.
What it is though could allow someone to severely fuck with our country at the core.
I'm talking Defensive, Power, Commerce, Comms, you name it.

We go tossing a nuke at this perp, and they might be able turn off the power.
I'm not saying they can do it, I'm saying whoever did this knows what the fuck they're doing, and they spent a shit ton of time and capital to make it happen.  The payload however, nobody knows.

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's possible whoever did this, STILL has ADMIN level access to just about everything .gov

View Quote

well that would be bad.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#35]
... Joe Biden may not agree
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
 Hell we still have an ASA running code from 10 years ago that has never been patched, and that's our primary firewall.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I thought I’d read somewhere today that the attack has been going on for 8-9 months and it’s just in the last month that it was discovered.
View Quote

That's why Trump shitcanned the cyber security chief.  This attack is just a culmination of all those smaller information gathering hacks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Canned sunshine is crippling...
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Fuck it.  My Commodores are safe.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Sofa-king
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ya think?  I putty'd into it one day about 3 years ago to look at some logs.
I discovered the last reboot was 2012.

I brought it up to my supervisor.  He said "yeah, I know.  I'm afraid if we reboot it, it won't come back up."
My response "Why the fuck is it in production then?!"

It's still in production.  Still unpatched and still not rebooted since 12.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe you're correct.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#43]
M$ has been attacking their customer since  Win '95.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Why doesn't Congress declare war?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be number 5 on the list in OP.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I do a lot of contract work with an international Fortune 500 company.

I would routinely find things like Windows servers with domain admin users left logged in indefinitely. VNC (and there's part of the problem) into a server expecting to log in, get someone else's open session.

Or log into a server and see it's waiting to install cumulative security updates from 6+ months ago. Someone should have seen this in SCCM, received an alert or anything.. Nope, ignored.

Passwords on almost every account never changed.

So when they got hacked this year, almost lost all their DCs and infra to ransomware, and had passwords reset on almost all domain admin users, I was not surprised. Then all of their data went up for sale on the dark web. They even wiped all tape backups that were inserted into backup servers worldwide. Backups to NAS? Stored on public shares, now all encrypted and worthless

Tip off that something was coming... All of the infosec team members had unpronouncable Indian names and accents to match. Those guys don't give a fuck.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah, I was kinda shocked CBS is reporting this. Heritage has been pretty solid on her reporting considering.
View Quote

Catherine Herridge has always seemed to me to be  a no nonsense,no  bullshit reporter.....
I wonder why she left Fox?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Why doesn't Congress declare war?
View Quote
Well if they're in the DOD's network and have been for 9 months, they might know an uncomfortable amount about where our forces are stationed around the world. I have no idea if something like the locations and course data for our nuclear subs is something they would have had access to, but boy howdy that sure would suck.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Did the Chinese not get their passwords from the transition team yet?

Kharn
View Quote

well aktually

funny you mention that... RedDrip a Chinese state security firm had some information.  

I wouldn't trust shit from them

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Something to put in context.  There were confirmed around 20,000 customers affected.

Government regulations require you monitor certain controls in certain ways.  In the DoD space (most other agencies have a similar process) for approved products list.  DISA posts the APL.  The APL says what products can be used to perform certain functions.  Overall it is a good thing.

Until a thing like this happens.

Now if the OTHER controls are PROPERLY implemented there is a greatly limited scope.

It is kinda like saying there is a problem with the brass in military supply and someone starts a thread asking why it is all Lake City.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top