BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Other states are getting hosed so hard on property taxes it's insane, this is one of the reasons why California still remains appealing to some. Prop 13 limits property taxes and still makes it livable here.
View Quote
Cali is broke. It's just a matter of time before the corrupt state gov goes after prop 13.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Move to a free state that you can afford?
View Quote
*checks zillow*

fuck.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My buddy says:

"Not since 1978. Prop 13 and the ballot initiative process is some of what Cali got right."
View Quote
so when is your buddy leaving for kali?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#4]
The pervasive attitude in Montana at the moment is that the "rich" land owners need to pay more for everything, because the "Townies" are getting shafted with high rent prices in the towns because of the influx of all the people.

Too many people are coming here and there isn't enough infrastructure or housing as it is.  Those people have more money than the bottom level locals, so they are being squeezed.

Everyone who comes here has all these ideas on how to fix everything and the first thing to do is start taxing everything and pouring that money back into the local city governments.

Well as you can imagine, it's a mess, they can't build roads, homes, streets, sewers, etc fast enough.

Right now there are probably 100 major building projects in Bozeman/Belgrade not to mention probably 500 homes, apt buildings, condos, going up as well.

20,000 more people by 2030.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Our property taxes (For the most part) get locked when an owner turns 65.  Last year, property owners finally got some relief from the criminal property appraisers via a statewide vote. We got a 60% reduction.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The pervasive attitude in Montana at the moment is that the "rich" land owners need to pay more for everything, because the "Townies" are getting shafted with high rent prices, in the towns because of the influx of all the people.

Too many people are coming here and there isn't enough infrastructure or housing as it is.  Those people have more money than the bottom level locals, so they are being squeezed.

Everyone who comes here has all these ideas on how to fix everything and the first thing to do is start taxing everything and pouring that money back into the local city governments.

Well as you can imagine, it's a mess, they can build roads, homes, streets, sewers, etc fast enough.

Right now there are probably 100 major building projects in Bozeman/Belgrade not to mention probably 500 homes, apt buildings, condos, going up as well.

View Quote

Bozeman is the poster child for Californication
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
At what age should you stop paying property tax?

Let them take the tax out of the sale price after I’m dead.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#8]
How else are they going to drive him off his property?

You never own property, you rent it
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The pervasive attitude in Montana at the moment is that the "rich" land owners need to pay more for everything, because the "Townies" are getting shafted with high rent prices, in the towns because of the influx of all the people.

Well as you can imagine, it's a mess, they can build roads, homes, streets, sewers, etc fast enough.

View Quote
i keep getting recruiter calls from northwestern energy in bozeman.

they're screaming for people and the pay is still shite.

guess who won't be coming to bozeman to build moar infrastructure for wealthy out of state cunts?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A senior from Montana has delivered a viral speech about the sorry state of property taxes in the Treasure State.

"I'm on Social Security, I'm 68-years-old and working just to pay my taxes," says Kurt, in a clip shared on TikTok by Ryan Busse, who is running to be the next governor of Montana.

Kurt claims that over the last couple of years, his annual property taxes have soared from $895 to almost $8,000   an increase of around 790%   which he says is like paying almost "$700 a month rent to the state to live in our own house." The state has an Elderly Homeowner/Renter Tax Credit, and the maximum credit is $1,150.

"There needs to be a moratorium on what we have to pay," he says, adding that he's had to continue working into what should be his retirement golden years to cover his mounting property costs. "I'm stubborn enough [that] I don't want to dig into my bank account to pay them."

Kurt is one of thousands of Montana homeowners suffering sticker shock over recent property tax hikes. He says: "We just can't take this anymore. This was a great place and it still is, but the people that made it great can't afford to live here anymore."

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/wDneLFHlVowOoW0POBC7HQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTQyNztjZj13ZWJw/https://media.zenfs.com/en/moneywise_327/ae5d1ddd54646912bb9937ab1e0f8996
View Quote

moar
View Quote

Should be illegal to jack up property taxes post purchase on primary residences.

Replace property taxes altogether with a sales tax assessed at time of purchase and payable over the life of the mortgage.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How else are they going to drive him out of his property.

You never own property, you rent it
View Quote

Do you even 100% disabled vet homestead property tax exemption bro?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Taxation is theft.
View Quote

Doubly so when they tax you on an asset you have already paid for or are in the process of paying for with your after-tax income.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My buddy says:

"Not since 1978. Prop 13 and the ballot initiative process is some of what Cali got right."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just wait until some California transplant tells him how they levied property tax on senior citizens back home.

My buddy says:

That’s my point. It’s mentioned quite often here that CA transplants in particular are always bringing their politics with them wherever they return to. This may be the one thing CA got right.

Example. My grandfather bought his place on 5 acres around 1980 for 250k. Shortly after purchased bordering 10 acres for another 60k. It’s currently assessed at 450k and has a $4500 tax bill. My cousin listed it for 4.1 million. That would be a $41,000 annual property tax bill if not for prop 13 which would drive most out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#14]
California doesn't do much right nowadays, but they had Prop. 13 about 40 years ago.  It puts a limit on prop tax increases.

Montucky needs Prop. 13.  So does Texas.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In FL it’s basically capped at 3% per year.
View Quote

The increase in property valuation is capped @ 3% but the millage rate is NOT.  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#16]
The purpose of the higher property taxes is to force you to have to sell.

If you won't move on your own, they'll take it by force when you fail to pay.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The increase in property valuation is capped @ 3% but the millage rate is NOT.  Ask me how I know.
View Quote

FL needs Prop. 13, too, apparently.  Every state should have it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Do you even 100% disabled vet homestead property tax exemption bro?
View Quote

I spoke with a Veterans Affairs rep. about that.

She said it's nearly impossible to get that exemption, unless you're a 100% disabled, non-ambulatory vet.

So, if you're drawing 100%, but you're not completely broken, poor, and destitute, you're not getting the exemption.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like communism
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sounds like communism
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like communism

You mean the state demanding more and more money, for the collective? Sure does.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’m not from Montana, but have known a few from there. I’ve never heard the term Montucky except in JL threads here. Is that a common term for Montana?
View Quote

Uh yeah, without Montucky. We wouldn't be having any Montucky Cold snacks!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My buddy says:

My buddy left Commiefornia like over 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sounds like communism
View Quote

So, people voting to keep their prop taxes in check?  It's a little early for drinking dontcha think?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why have the property taxes gone up that much?
View Quote

Californians sell their garden shed for $2,000,000 then flee to states they haven’t fucked up yet and pay cash over asking price for real estate. Home values climb as a result along with property taxes. Eventually locals can’t afford to live where they grew up.

Californians are a swarm of aids infected locusts.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Taxation is theft.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Feed the pig..

In Illinois, it’s because of the school pensions.  75 percent of my taxes go to the school district.
View Quote

School districts get the lions share of taxes in all localities. At my last house my taxes went up 8% one year but at least the high school got a new football field and a second indoor swimming pool out of it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Other states are getting hosed so hard on property taxes it's insane, this is one of the reasons why California still remains appealing to some. Prop 13 limits property taxes and still makes it livable here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_California_Proposition_13
View Quote

The one thing Calif got right.  Others should look at it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is this another case of Montana just sat on low rates forever or no?

I'm in SW Ohio and I pay $11k for 0.4 acres.

View Quote

meaningless without knowing the assessment value of your property.

Is it  $100K or $1 million? Or ?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Uh yeah, without Montucky. We wouldn't be having any Montucky Cold snacks!!
View Quote
i want you to picture alison scudds nekkid on a river float retrieving a montucky cold snack from the yeti cooler.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#31]
They need to do what other states and Michigan have done. Your property gets homesteaded and it can never go up more than 2% a year and it can also go down. I pay the same amount of property taxes on my house that I did in 1996. And I'm still against property taxes, because you never really own your home in property
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you've lived & worked in a state and paid taxes for X number of years, let's say over 10 years, your property taxes should cease if you're 65 or older.

Gov't plans to tax you into homelessness to make room for the tax revenue producer. If you aren't a producer, they prefer that you either leave or die. That's an actual fact, they see you as a financial liability otherwise.
View Quote

Property taxes should be locked in at the time of sale.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just wait until some California transplant tells him how they levied property tax on senior citizens back home.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As Texas ridiculous property taxes piss me off every year, I feel his pain. It's BS.

I found out tax appraisal this year and won. They raised the value of my house, arbitrarily, $40,000. Yes $40,000. I was the highest increase in our neighborhood. Much bigger houses went down or increased a couple thousand. The house across the street went down. They had zero explanation. But dropped the valuation back to a reasonable level.
View Quote

what data/info did you gather to fight the increase?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You midwesterners really get screwed on property taxes.  What on earth does OH do with all that money?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You midwesterners really get screwed on property taxes.  What on earth does OH do with all that money?

They fund a Highway Patrol force large enough to invade and occupy Europe. Those patrolmen then park along each and every mile marker so they can cite you for going 66 in a 65 zone.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Cali is broke. It's just a matter of time before the corrupt state gov goes after prop 13.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've already been going after it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Property taxes should be locked in at the time of sale.
View Quote

In CA, they mostly are locked in due to Prop 13.  They can go up, but by a very small amount.  I have owned several properties in CA.  I actully had them go down, during RE downturns.  They actually have a form to fill out that you can use to petition a reduction in prop taxes.  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe if you bought your house 25+ years ago.

Look at what happens when someone buys a house in California.  Taxes went from under $3000 a year to over $15,000.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/17682-Sonoma-Way-Yorba-Linda-CA-92886/25388674_zpid/

A somewhat newer/cheaper house in a shithole of a city.  Over $11k a year.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/53209-Trailing-Rose-Dr-Lake-Elsinore-CA-92532/95963622_zpid/
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Property taxes on privates residences are tyrannical and disrespectful to the people that work to pay for their home.

For now it would seem the people are pursuing option 1: Talk it out.

Use of Option 2 is probably going to be the future choice.
View Quote

That man needs to buy a bulldozer and some sheet metal.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Someday the free state that we can afford is gonna be some third world shithole.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They've already been going after it.
View Quote

They might.  So far, even the radical leftists have been frightened to death to overturn Prop 13.  So far.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Californians sell their garden shed for $2,000,000 then flee to states they haven’t fucked up yet and pay cash over asking price for real estate. Home values climb as a result along with property taxes. Eventually locals can’t afford to live where they grew up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why have the property taxes gone up that much?

Why are the locals selling to them then?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

guess who won't be coming to bozeman to build moar infrastructure for wealthy out of state cunts?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Someday the free state that we can afford is gonna be some third world shithole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe acquire a skill that allows you to live where you want?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's crazy

I have 55 acres and two homes, property tax this year is under 3k.

I get a farm tax break and rent the land for corn to cover half the cost.

$11k is around my mortgage payment for my house.

Luckily Mil retirees no longer pay state income taxes.

We have a bill that would knock $150k off the appraised value of our home, really hope it passes since my house is appraised at over $300k.

I built it in 2016 for $188k.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Our property taxes (For the most part) get locked when an owner turns 65.  Last year, property owners finally got some relief from the criminal property appraisers via a statewide vote. We got a 60% reduction.
View Quote

Who is we?

Our property taxes are making California and NY blush wuth envy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#47]
My home and property is assessed by a company in Wisconsin IIRC. No one lays eyes on anything. Unless I bitch. Then a local will take their feet off their desk and begrudgingly trudge out here in person.

I encourage everyone to bitch to local authorities concerning their high property taxes. Hold their feet to the fire.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Look at what happens when someone buys a house in California.  Taxes went from under $3000 a year to over $15,000.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/17682-Sonoma-Way-Yorba-Linda-CA-92886/25388674_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/53209-Trailing-Rose-Dr-Lake-Elsinore-CA-92532/95963622_zpid/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The taxes went up because the value of the house went up. The tax rate didn't change unless new local assessments were passed.

It's still only a fixed 1% plus any local assessments of the sales price whether you bought your house 15 years ago or today and then yearly cap on increases.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I am growing to Hate taxes in general but property tax even more. So if you take money you were taxed on when you earned it and spend it to improve your property it's now worth more and the gvt taxed you even more so you can have the pleasure of living there. AND if you don't pay tax on property you have paid for with money that has already been taxed the gvt will now take your property without compensating you AT All for the money you have spent to make it more valuable so they charged you more for it to keep. Shit is all wrong. Never mind the fact I homeschool my children so I get to pay property tax for schools I don't use and also get to buy curriculum out of pocket.
View Quote

Where I moved no building permit is required for structures under 300 sqft.

I built a 299.5 sqft cabin and pay roughly $400 per year in property taxes on “raw land”.

Fuck the government.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Maybe acquire a skill that allows you to live where you want?
View Quote

My plan is to just get the company housing my current employer offers. It’s the only way they can get people to work in an open pit copper mine.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top