Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Well-trained?  Knife or bludgeon wil, used properly, of course, deblitate on the first strike.

That’s why they were literally used for millennia in human warfare.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#2]
A pocket honey badger.

They have been purposely breed for hundreds of years for the the role.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bullshit. You just need to know how to “snap it”
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^^

It also takes a lot of training. You should actually be in good shape, work on strength and speed.
I've trained with knives, used to cut dummy targets from all angles until my arms were ready to fall off.
Think of it as something like martial arts training. A whole lot of repetition. A lot of focus and concentration. And just like guns, getting good at finding the target to slash or stab in all kinds of situations.

Bullshit. You just need to know how to “snap it”

I understand that reference.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#4]
If I've learned anything from playing warzone, it's throwing knives
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#5]
A radio with an artillery unit at the other end, waiting for a call for fire mission
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#6]
this one

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A radio with an artillery unit at the other end, waiting for a call for fire mission
View Quote
"Danger close" doesn't even begin to describe the trust you place on your men.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Hand grenade
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lmao
View Quote

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense to me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A can of hair spray and a lighter is open carry complaint.
View Quote
Change out the cap for that of wd-40 and use the straw.   Get some range.   Hmmm. Might be better to go with the wd-40 anyways.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Too many variables.

Is the gun still in the holster and concealed?  Or low ready? Or has sight picture been acquired?

Does the guy with the knife move fast, physically fit, and have a warriors mindset?

I see plenty of people that would have to move their big belly out of the way before they could get their gun out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I disagree...

Eta - depending on what "good chance" means. He's way less than 50/50 imo

Too many variables.

Is the gun still in the holster and concealed?  Or low ready? Or has sight picture been acquired?

Does the guy with the knife move fast, physically fit, and have a warriors mindset?

I see plenty of people that would have to move their big belly out of the way before they could get their gun out.

Damnit, I’ve lost 30 lb + (206 down to under 175) since last Sept, and you’re guilting me into going running this morning.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So two guys are 12 feet apart, one with a gun and one with a knife, and your money is on the knife?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A knife.   Within about 12' you can fuck someone up w a knife quicker than a handgun.

So two guys are 12 feet apart, one with a gun and one with a knife, and your money is on the knife?

If the guy with the knife is in good shape, knows what he is doing, and really wants to kill the guy with the gun then my money is on the guy with the knife being able to kill or seriously injure the guy with the gun. And the guy with the knife might, or might not die from a gunshot wound in the process.

Handgun bullets do not really do that good of a job at stopping an attacker instantly and you can close 12' in well under a second. I've shot bowling pins some in competition and even raising a pistol to get that first shot off (accurately) takes me about a second. So if I thought that maybe someone broke into my house and went to check with a pistol in the low ready position and I suddenly came across a knife wielding attacker from 12' away charging me then I would be doing good to get a wild shot or two off, no way I could get an aimed shot off. Then I am getting sliced up.

Of course a knife wound is not a guaranteed instant kill either, in fact it's really hard to kill someone quickly (within a second or two) with a knife. People may not even realize they have been cut or stabbed. And there is a big difference between a 12" medieval dagger or bowie knife and a 2" lock blade in terms of lethality.

And training is a big part of it too. In the situation I described my reaction would be to get my left arm up between the rest of me and the knife and try to protect my vitals while bringing the pistol back to my hip so it can't easily be grabbed and then shooting the attacker until I'm out of ammo. Maybe that would work and I wouldn't need too many stitches. Maybe there is a better way to deal with that scenario too, I'm not some self defense guru.

If I was the guy with the knife I would charge in, realize that I might take a bullet but accept that as the price I had to pay. Try to grab the gun and get the muzzle pointed away from me with my left hand while my momentum let me drive the knife point into my opponents chest. Then I would stab over and over again repeatedly until one of us was dead.

Anyway, point is that a guy with a "real" knife and the willingness to use it is a real deadly threat to a guy with a gun.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hammer.
View Quote

cuddy?  that you?
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#14]
An ounce of prevention...

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#15]
The biggest blade you can carry
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Gotta get the Duncan/Conner McLeod trench coat for that.

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Spyderco Civilian.

Developed for DEA undercovers in the early 90's, so they could claw their way out of meth/crack houses should a buy go wrong, as frequently they were unable to carry firearms.

Later became a popular knife in South Africa for defending against rapists and muggers. Multiple confirmed uses there where it worked even better then expected.

Full history here:

https://archive.ph/iNmMS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is nasty looking.

I have no idea whether or not it's a good knife but it is nasty looking.

Spyderco Civilian.

Developed for DEA undercovers in the early 90's, so they could claw their way out of meth/crack houses should a buy go wrong, as frequently they were unable to carry firearms.

Later became a popular knife in South Africa for defending against rapists and muggers. Multiple confirmed uses there where it worked even better then expected.

Full history here:

Hannibal, in the movie 'Hannibal', was a blade master with it.

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hannibal, in the movie 'Hannibal', was a blade master with it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Great for slashing, but won't thrust worth a damn.  When LT George Patton designed the last combat saber he found that even saber slashes create gory wounds that do not incapacitate a person.  So he designed his saber for thrust and the manual of arms only teaches thrusts, not cuts.  It is sharpened somewhat and can cut, but that is not it's purpose.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A knife.   Within about 12’ you can fuck someone up w a knife quicker than a handgun.
View Quote

This ^^
It also takes a lot of training.
View Quote
I would say, a completely untrained person has a much better chance of fucking someone up with a knife than a handgun.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A knife.   Within about 12’ you can fuck someone up w a knife quicker than a handgun.
View Quote

I'm not buying that. Yes, you can mess someone up with a knife, but it takes just as long to deploy a knife as is does a handgun. If given a choice of the two, I can't think of a situation where I'd rather have a knife over a handgun. For everyone arguing the 21ft rule, are your reaction times going to be any quicker if someone attacks you and you're carrying a concealed knife?
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If the guy with the knife is in good shape, knows what he is doing, and really wants to kill the guy with the gun then my money is on the guy with the knife being able to kill or seriously injure the guy with the gun. And the guy with the knife might, or might not die from a gunshot wound in the process.

Handgun bullets do not really do that good of a job at stopping an attacker instantly and you can close 12' in well under a second. I've shot bowling pins some in competition and even raising a pistol to get that first shot off (accurately) takes me about a second. So if I thought that maybe someone broke into my house and went to check with a pistol in the low ready position and I suddenly came across a knife wielding attacker from 12' away charging me then I would be doing good to get a wild shot or two off, no way I could get an aimed shot off. Then I am getting sliced up.

Of course a knife wound is not a guaranteed instant kill either, in fact it's really hard to kill someone quickly (within a second or two) with a knife. People may not even realize they have been cut or stabbed. And there is a big difference between a 12" medieval dagger or bowie knife and a 2" lock blade in terms of lethality.

And training is a big part of it too. In the situation I described my reaction would be to get my left arm up between the rest of me and the knife and try to protect my vitals while bringing the pistol back to my hip so it can't easily be grabbed and then shooting the attacker until I'm out of ammo. Maybe that would work and I wouldn't need too many stitches. Maybe there is a better way to deal with that scenario too, I'm not some self defense guru.

If I was the guy with the knife I would charge in, realize that I might take a bullet but accept that as the price I had to pay. Try to grab the gun and get the muzzle pointed away from me with my left hand while my momentum let me drive the knife point into my opponents chest. Then I would stab over and over again repeatedly until one of us was dead.

Anyway, point is that a guy with a "real" knife and the willingness to use it is a real deadly threat to a guy with a gun.
View Quote

"So if I thought that maybe someone broke into my house and went to check with a pistol in the low ready position and I suddenly came across a knife wielding attacker from 12' away charging me then I would be doing good to get a wild shot or two off, no way I could get an aimed shot off. Then I am getting sliced up."

Please get training. RustedAce said knowing how to position yourself to see and act is more important than shooting excellence. He's right. If you're doing it right, they either won't be able to charge or won't even know you're there. I've been "killed" so many times by skilled gunfighters that I didn't even know were there because they positioned themselves properly.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Cold Steel Rajah II    with MEAT CUTTING !!

Rajah II - Folding Knife : Cold Steel Knives
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#26]
A good blade does an excellent amount of tissue damage when used as a cutter/slasher/butcher compared to just a stabber/jabber/hole maker.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#27]
My son’s milk shit diapers. A freshly filled diaper ready to burst with fetid seedy yellow ooze. Yeah, I just changed his seeping ass on the tailgate of my truck. I’m sweaty, haven’t slept in a year, and if my cadaverous eyes aren’t enough to warn you not to fuck with me while I’m looking for a place to dispose of his gastrointestinal artwork, well, then, I can always fire a pile of shit right into your face.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I think it’s Chase45 that CCs a Winkler Sayoc?
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A good blade does an excellent amount of tissue damage when used as a cutter/slasher/butcher compared to just a stabber/jabber/hole maker.
View Quote

With a concealable sized knife it can can be surprisingly difficult to slash and chop effectively against a yielding target that''s protected by anything more than a light layer of clothing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think it's Chase45 that CCs a Winkler Sayoc?
View Quote
you don't?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm a big fan of the deceptive facade, and the Rory. As a bonus, a small flask of bourbon and a zippo are very inocuos items.

(HQ) Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Rory Breaker (Bar)
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#32]
The thing to understand about the Tueller 21’ drill is that it can be beaten if you don’t just stand there and try to out draw the attacker.

Move out of way or better yet, move and draw at the same time if possible but moving out of the way is the key.

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Short and sharp, thick bladed knife; either fixed or quality lock-back. Easy stabby-stabby and good slice.

Image borrowed from off the web, katogroup
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A higher percentage of stab wounds die than gunshot wounds

Translated: if you're stabbed you are MOAR likely to die than if you were shot
View Quote

Is that because when people get stabbed, they get stabbed many many times and the circumstances is the person overpowered them and stabs them 30x.

Where shootings are usually with pistols. Which leave knife like ice pick wounds.

If you were to shoot someone 30x, the results would be the same as stabbing them 30x.

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That is nasty looking.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is nasty looking.

Precisely why I bought a karambit. It just screams "hey bud, you wanna know what your insides look like?"
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Was waiting for these to get posted.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That is nasty looking.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is nasty looking.

Spydeco Civilian. It’s a very good knife
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Proximity mine.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That’s a “get the fuck out of my way” knife.
View Quote

I have one and took it to work accidentally.  Pulled it out to open a package and the guy sitting in my office freaked out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Spyderco Civilian.

Full history here:

View Quote

The make a cheaper version called the Matriarch.  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top