Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also would like add The Departed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:41:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well, between you and I, I think we make up about 25% of the people in the world who liked that movie.
View Quote

I recall liking it. I will readily admit I am not a discriminating movie critic though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:46:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Never heard of it, but I'll check it out. I figure if we're on the same page with Collateral, and I know we have the same taste in Stargate, fair chance I'll like this one too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.  Another good one I'd put in my top ten for that decade that I feel is underrated and not as well known as it should be is The Fountain (2006).  Quite possibly Hugh Jackman's best performance.

Never heard of it, but I'll check it out. I figure if we're on the same page with Collateral, and I know we have the same taste in Stargate, fair chance I'll like this one too.

Me too, also, what he said.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:54:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ, yes, so fucking underrated Denzel Washington won an Oscar for it and Ethan Hawke was nominated for Best Supporting Actor.  So fucking underrated every fucking critic lauded it and it was a fucking box office smash!  Do you even fucking know what UNDERRATED means???

Are you going to be okay?

LOL fuuuck, stupid shit to get riled up over.  I mean, ALL these threads end up like this, with guys just naming movies they saw.  You'd think I'd know that by now...

I'd like to add this movie I saw once called Gladiator with Russell Crowe. You guys have probably never heard of it though. Very underrated.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 2:01:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Southland Tales (2006) Trailer #1 | Movieclips Classic Trailers

Some call it the worst film by the best director with the worst career. So underrated it's not even on the radar for most people.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 2:01:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Tropic thunder
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 2:47:10 AM EDT
[#7]
25th Hour was pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 2:52:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd like to add this movie I saw once called Gladiator with Russell Crowe. You guys have probably never heard of it though. Very underrated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ, yes, so fucking underrated Denzel Washington won an Oscar for it and Ethan Hawke was nominated for Best Supporting Actor.  So fucking underrated every fucking critic lauded it and it was a fucking box office smash!  Do you even fucking know what UNDERRATED means???

Are you going to be okay?

LOL fuuuck, stupid shit to get riled up over.  I mean, ALL these threads end up like this, with guys just naming movies they saw.  You'd think I'd know that by now...

Who's Russell Crowe?
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 4:25:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

NO, no,no,no on Steve Zahn as Al Giordano. Ruins the whole movie. If you have read any of the Dirk Pitt books Zahn looks nothing like the description of Al. While he will throw out the occasional one-liner he was in no way the buffoon that Zahn played him.
McConaughey did make an excellent Dirk Pitt though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sahara with Matthew McConaughey

Very enjoyable movie. One I have a hard time not stopping and watching if it comes on.

It was well cast.  Steve Zahn as Giordano was a great choice.

NO, no,no,no on Steve Zahn as Al Giordano. Ruins the whole movie. If you have read any of the Dirk Pitt books Zahn looks nothing like the description of Al. While he will throw out the occasional one-liner he was in no way the buffoon that Zahn played him.
McConaughey did make an excellent Dirk Pitt though.

I disagree, and I have read the book.  It's been a while now so maybe he's not tracking the character 100%, but from what I remember Giordano was pretty much a goofball in the book too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 5:11:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Who's Russell Crowe?
View Quote

Some up and coming actor trying to make it big. Don't think he's really broken through yet though. Maybe someday his time will come.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:13:02 AM EDT
[#11]
A Simple Plan
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#12]
The Loses or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Way Of The Gun - 2000

Was a flop in theaters but has a cult following today.
View Quote

I like that movie and the gun play is phenomenal…

But god damn…it’s hard to sit through…
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#16]
This one is generally loved here, but I'd say it's massively underrated.  Deserved to spawn a franchise.

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Running Scared with Paul Walker

https://i.postimg.cc/SxGRMHCp/41m-XNJPzio-L-AC-SY580.jpg
View Quote
By far the best part:

911 Dispatcher: [Teresa grabs the phone and dials 911] 911. What is the nature of your emergency?
Teresa Gazelle: I just heard shooting across the hall. 1456 Owin's Park Lane.
911 Dispatcher: What is your name, ma'am?
[Teresa hangs up]
Edele: You're not serious...
[Teresa lifts up her gun and shoots them both]

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#18]
A movie so bad, it caused Sean Connery to retire from acting.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
25th Hour was pretty good.
View Quote

Good choice. A movie I liked, but fell so far off the radar I forgot it existed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This one is generally loved here, but I'd say it's massively underrated.  Deserved to spawn a franchise.

https://obsessiveviewer.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/master_and_commander_the_far_side_of_the_world-625224668-large.jpg
View Quote

Man, that was a puzzler!!!  Phenomenally filmed and acted, critically praised, TEN Academy Award nominations, won some of them, made a profit at the box office, but it never took off like it should have.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#24]
24 Hour Party People was awesome

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Battle: Los Angeles
View Quote

The military parts are so fucking stupid, but I'll watch it anytime I stumble across it.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Oh man, does she git nekkid?  Loves me some nekkid Amanda Peets!
View Quote

lol the ending will get ya
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Even Monica couldn't save that shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Even Monica couldn't save that shit.

YUP!  That was a SHIT movie.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know if this one is underrated, but any time I ask someone if they have seen it, I either get a blank stare or they say they hate Melissa McCarthy.  But fuck it, half of you folks don't know what underrated means either, so:

Granted, I may have liked it so much because I went in with very low expectations, but the wife and I laughed out loud more than once.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:26:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I enjoyed the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Not a masterpiece but enjoyable
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I enjoyed the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Not a masterpiece but enjoyable
I’ve never understood the hate for that movie. Saw it in the theater, enjoyed the heck out of it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
Love that movie.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Suicide Kings
https://media.senscritique.com/media/000007970887/source_big/Suicide_Kings.jpg

Dark comedy. Johnny Galecki is hilarious in this. And Dennis Leary has "fish boots".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWKrncseUw8

ETA: Sorry about the French up top. It was the only pic I could find that wasnt potato quality.
View Quote

Don't forget the busket.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:32:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.  Another good one I'd put in my top ten for that decade that I feel is underrated and not as well known as it should be is The Fountain (2006).  Quite possibly Hugh Jackman's best performance.

@PA452

Definitely more of an artistic and philosophical film, and one that benefitted from having its budget cut to where it had to resort to mostly practical effects instead of CGI and a different cast than was originally intended, but I thought it was excellent.

As far as other movies that might go in my top ten for that decade, I'd put Blackhawk Down, Master and Commander, Way of the Gun, The Departed, The Last Samurai, Blood Diamond, and a few others as contenders.  Other series that aired during that period that might make a top ten list for me could include Band of Brothers, Breaking Bad, Battlestar Galactica, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, The X-Files, and LOST (despite the crappy ending; the early seasons were excellent), among others.  Other movies I thought were really good regardless of timeframe include Heat, Interstellar, Hell or High Water, Sicario, Arrival, The Sand Pebbles, Ben Hur (Heston version), Gettysburg, La 317eme Section, Gattaca, and the new Dune, among some others.  If our tastes are still largely aligned, then I'd even more strongly recommend The Fountain.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#36]

A hidden gem of a dark comedy directed by Danny DeVito. So much talent and Robin Williams was at his best in adult humor. Even Jon Stewart was hilarious in it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Stardust was fanatic and it is in my DVD collection. I wish they expanded on their storyline.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Two Christian Bale flicks from the early 00s.

What's interesting is that Harsh Times was released AFTER Batman Begins.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
By far the best part:

911 Dispatcher: [Teresa grabs the phone and dials 911] 911. What is the nature of your emergency?
[Teresa hangs up]

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Running Scared with Paul Walker

https://i.postimg.cc/SxGRMHCp/41m-XNJPzio-L-AC-SY580.jpg
By far the best part:

[Teresa hangs up]

Absolutely it’s a great movie. Most people have never heard of it. That whole part came out of nowhere was like wtf, then back to the mob stuff
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't know if this one is underrated, but any time I ask someone if they have seen it, I either get a blank stare or they say they hate Melissa McCarthy.  But fuck it, half of you folks don't know what underrated means either, so:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375298/556da39669e46_image-2692475.jpg

Granted, I may have liked it so much because I went in with very low expectations, but the wife and I laughed out loud more than once.  
View Quote

Statham was funny as hell in that so was the sommelier from John wick. I vaguely remember a hot woman Bering funny too and the fat one was tolerable.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Joyeux Noel

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:20:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Joyeux Noel

View Quote
Truly an amazing film about the Christmas Truce.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

"Dumb"???  It was fucking stunning!!!  It was like touching a live wire, it was so fucking intense.  And the end, Johnson showed incredible acting chops.  The hair on the back of my neck stood up and I held my breath waiting to see what he would do.

Yeah, so far, this is the only truly underrated movie mentioned that wasn't absolute shit or not underrated in the first place, Snatch???  LS&TSB???  UNDERRATED???  Are you fucking kidding me???
View Quote

By dumb I mean there aren't many twists or turns, you pretty much know what's going to happen.
It's like a roller coaster, you can see the whole track before you get started, so strap in and enjoy the ride.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:12:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I didn’t read the book so any difference didn’t matter to me. The banter between Zahn’s character and Dirk was one of the best characteristics of the movie.

I thought Sahara would make a good start to a new series of movies, in the realm of the Indiana Jones movies.
View Quote

If only there was a giant amount of pre-made stories...

MM was a good Dirk,  honestly hes a better age now for him though.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sahara with Matthew McConaughey
View Quote

Agred grat movie just bought it at a pawnshop recently for a quarter
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Collateral, 2004
+1
Peter Berg, who played one of the detectives, directed this movie three years later.
The Kingdom
https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/sAj6pHDKXl4uQz9X9gDDApFM2po.jpg
View Quote

The Kingdom was excellent. It might not be in my top 10, but it isn't far behind.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#48]
The International
The International - In Theaters 2/13/09

Drive
Drive - Movie Trailer (2011) HD
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Go, life aquatic, A history of violence
View Quote

Ohh, history of violence was great...

I'll add eastern promises also.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
By far the best part:

[Teresa hangs up]

View Quote

Good movie, shooting chomos for the win.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top