Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2024 7:54:58 PM EDT
To celebrate an upcoming milestone I'm taking 5-10 days off for a road trip.  I'm probably going to take the street bike, but I haven't completely ruled out the dual sport.   I'll be leaving from New England with no definitive plans yet.  Heck, I might just leave and not have any plans at all.  Any things I must see, roads I must take, or people I must meet?   I'll probably be scooting out the end of August or beginning of September.  As of now I'll be solo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
To celebrate an upcoming milestone I'm taking 5-10 days off for a road trip.  I'm probably going to take the street bike, but I haven't completely ruled out the dual sport.   I'll be leaving from New England with no definitive plans yet.  Heck, I might just leave and not have any plans at all.  Any things I must see, roads I must take, or people I must meet?   I'll probably be scooting out the end of August or beginning of September.  As of now I'll be solo.
View Quote
I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Take the 10 days.
If it was me I’d do the Blue Ridge Parkway (plus Skyline Drive)

Dragon, Cherohala Skyway also if possible dependinf on the pace you decide to ride.

My response is also based on your location in NH.
I’ve done this from ME numerous times in that time frame.

If you haven’t done it already, the BRP is an extraordinarily pleasant ride.
I would spend the first day laying down miles getting the heck out of New England. Around lunch on day 2 you could be at Gettysburg PA and do some sightseeing, then head to Front Royal to begin Skyline Drive the next morning and on to BRP.  I would return on BRP also.

That is what I would do.

Your milestone is your business, but I hope it’s a happy one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#3]
"Rider" magazine covers a road trip in each issue, you could look there for ideas.  Maps and everything.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m heading out from the burbs of Portland next Wednesday. Don’t know where but in a direction that is not 100 deg and without smoke from fires.

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take the 10 days.
If it was me I’d do the Blue Ridge Parkway (plus Skyline Drive)

Dragon, Cherohala Skyway also if possible dependinf on the pace you decide to ride.

My response is also based on your location in NH.
I’ve done this from ME numerous times in that time frame.

If you haven’t done it already, the BRP is an extraordinarily pleasant ride.
I would spend the first day laying down miles getting the heck out of New England. Around lunch on day 2 you could be at Gettysburg PA and do some sightseeing, then head to Front Royal to begin Skyline Drive the next morning and on to BRP.  I would return on BRP also.

That is what I would do.

Your milestone is your business, but I hope it’s a happy one.
View Quote

I’ve never done BRP but it looks nice.  I’m not afraid of miles and I’m an IBA member.  I could always eat miles to one location, dally, then eat miles to another.  

I haven’t decided if I’m tenting or using lodging.   Maybe a combination of both.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've never done BRP but it looks nice.  I'm not afraid of miles and I'm an IBA member.  I could always eat miles to one location, dally, then eat miles to another.  

I haven't decided if I'm tenting or using lodging.   Maybe a combination of both.
View Quote
I generally go with hotels when solo and camping with friends.  I didn't find camping solo to be all that nice, so I used hotels and spent a couple extra hours on the road each day.  That enabled me to reach some places I wouldn't have been able to in the given time frames if I was camping.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm celebrating a half century on this rock by riding solo to Alaska in a few weeks.  I'm looking forward to seeing parts of the Canadian Rockies I have yet to visit.  Also hoping to see a salmon run and some bears snacking on them.  I'm going to be staying in prearranged lodging rather than camping mostly due to the likelihood of wet weather and man eating swarms of mosquitoes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm celebrating a half century on this rock by riding solo to Alaska in a few weeks.  I'm looking forward to seeing parts of the Canadian Rockies I have yet to visit.  Also hoping to see a salmon run and some bears snacking on them.  I'm going to be staying in prearranged lodging rather than camping mostly due to the likelihood of wet weather and man eating swarms of mosquitoes.
View Quote

If I can work out some time between military and my next job I’ll do a ride to Alaska.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I did Blue Ridge Parkway this year, but I want to go back and take my time again with some other riders. I came from Ashville NC back to VA to come home from my trip and mostly rode straight through with some stops to check out the overlooks, but I'd like to start in VA and go all the way to the end with some guys, stop and see some of the sights... the trails, waterfalls, etc.

Once you get to the end, you are only about an hour or so away from Tail of the Dragon, if you have interest in riding through that.

Would be a pretty epic trip.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I did Blue Ridge Parkway this year, but I want to go back and take my time again with some other riders. I came from Ashville NC back to VA to come home from my trip and mostly rode straight through with some stops to check out the overlooks, but I'd like to start in VA and go all the way to the end with some guys, stop and see some of the sights... the trails, waterfalls, etc.

Once you get to the end, you are only about an hour or so away from Tail of the Dragon, if you have interest in riding through that.

View Quote

Maybe I’ll do that.  Did you camp?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 7:34:12 AM EDT
[#11]
My other option would be to do a multi-day adventure trail on the dual sport,  but that would require buying luggage.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Last motorcycle trip I did I was up your way, rode the Kanc

Enjoy, OP
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Enjoy, OP
View Quote

Kanc is fun, but short.  If you're ever up this way again let me know.  You could spend weeks riding awesome roads up here and never repeat yourself.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did Blue Ridge Parkway this year, but I want to go back and take my time again with some other riders. I came from Ashville NC back to VA to come home from my trip and mostly rode straight through with some stops to check out the overlooks, but I'd like to start in VA and go all the way to the end with some guys, stop and see some of the sights... the trails, waterfalls, etc. I work remotely and ended up not even taking any PTO on the trip... I had no plans, just a rough idea and I would decide the day before where I would go the next day, and book a room in the next city.

No... I stayed in hotels.

My entire journey was 3 weeks... 5 days in Washington DC for a work trip, then WV, VA, NC, SC, NC again, then BRP in one day from Ashville to the head of it in VA where I stayed another night, then back home the next day.

I bought this luggage for my bike, it had more than enough room for me. I mostly wore quick-dry river shirts/shorts, my mesh/armored jacket, my kevlar/CE armored jeans for travel. I would wash out my quick-dry clothes in my hotel room and hang dry... I found I actually brought too much clothing after seeing how easy it was to wash my clothes on the road.

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No... I stayed in hotels.

My entire journey was 3 weeks... 5 days in Washington DC for a work trip, then WV, VA, NC, SC, NC again, then BRP in one day from Ashville to the head of it in VA where I stayed another night, then back home the next day.

I bought this luggage for my bike, it had more than enough room for me. I mostly wore quick-dry river shirts/shorts, my mesh/armored jacket, my kevlar/CE armored jeans for travel. I would wash out my quick-dry clothes in my hotel room and hang dry... I found I actually brought too much clothing after seeing how easy it was to wash my clothes on the road.

https://m.fortnine.ca/media/catalog/product/cache/3106cf6870ef61da8313fd82d69c8643/0/0/0000-Saddlemen-BR4100-Dresser-Back-Seat-Bag-Black.jpg
View Quote

That's a nice bag.  I have a T-Bag I love for my street bike.  It's my dual sport I'd need luggage for if I chose to do an adventure ride instead of a street trip.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Kanc is fun, but short.  If you're ever up this way again let me know.  You could spend weeks riding awesome roads up here and never repeat yourself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy, OP

Count on it
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 5:18:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

September 7th and 8th is the Fanatec World GT Challenge (Group 3 cars) at Barbers Motorsports Park in Birmingham AL. It's a world class facility, and if you've never seen their motorcycle museum, it is amazing!

https://barberracingevents.com/
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Enjoy.  Skyline Drive and BRP are scenic and nice if you don't want to go fast.  There are a lot of great two-lane roads in WV.  Pretty much pick one and it'll be good.  I like 33 from Harrisonburg VA to Ripley WV.   If you do the length of the BRP there ought to be some awesome two-lane routes to take back north.

I'm heading out on September 7th for a couple of weeks (or more - I'm retired) solo to the Oregon coast.  Taking a northern route out and a more central route back.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Go to your hometown forum and post this up.
Ask if anyone would host you for the night and you'll repay them with a bacon and eggs breakfast.
I had a friend do this 15 years ago and made a 30 day trip out of it.
He did the same in Australia.
Both times he had a blast!
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Go to your hometown forum and post this up.
Ask if anyone would host you for the night and you'll repay them with a bacon and eggs breakfast.
I had a friend do this 15 years ago and made a 30 day trip out of it.
He did the same in Australia.
Both times he had a blast!
View Quote

There are a few bunk a biker groups out there that offer a room or tent space.  I'm not worried about it.  

Right now it looks like I'm traveling solo will be out the last week of August and/or 2 weeks in September.  I still haven't made plans.  I might not, either, and just go where I feel like going.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I think I'm doing a preliminary run next week.  I'm torn between two options:

1.  Screw down to VA Monday or Tuesday in a day, take two days on the BRP, then screw back.

2.  Take the dual-sport on a 2-3 day ride on the Flatlander or similar.

Right now I'm leaning towards the first option for next week.  I figure I'll take 3 1/2- 4 days because I told my kids I'd take them dirt bike camping over the weekend.

If anyone wants to tag along, or has a better plan, feel free to post it.  I'm going solo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top